Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Jack Tully - Veteran

Jumping in ahead of Karpessian, Jack tried to reassure the boy using his best 'Fatherly Sergeant' voice.

"Relax son. This isn't about what you have or haven't done."

He brings up his hand inviting MacPherson into a steadying handshake.

"My name is Jack Tully. I can go backwards. Pleased to meet you."

Let's try and calm the kid down a bit before we go and give him a heart-attack. Can't have him bolting just yet. That has to wait until after he knows about the mortal danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Nicole Smith

"Aight, let's go Mark." No sense in trying to press the issue any further, Pete was no-selling everything she tried. loving prick deserved the beating he got.

As the pair headed back to his car and Nico removed and then lit yet another menthol from the rapidly dwindling pack, she thought to ask "Yo Mark, let's stop at a loving gas station on the way back, so I can get some cigarettes that don't taste like lovely toothpaste." loving Menthols.

---------

The plan: they'll head back to Mark's and he'll wait there. She's going to head back to her place, grab $250 from where she hid it, and then will meet back up with Mark at his place so they can head to Pete's yet again.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
October 7, 12:00 PM, T-3 Seconds+++

Jack Tully - Veteran (Chatmode?)

"I-I-I don't know anything about any time travelers!"

You move closer and the boy flinches as he stumbles backwards into his seat, eyes wide in panic.

"It's alright son. Mr. Tully isn't here to hurt you. Jack. Calm down. Jack."

Karpessian reached across his desk and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder, his large frame causing the desk to creak.

"Now you know me, and I know you. I need you to trust me and that I'm looking out for you. Mr. Tully's being honest in that he's here to help and you should hear him out. Alright?"

Jack takes one last furtive look around and settles into his seat.

"U-u-uh ok. I'm Jack, McPherson. I can go f-f-f-forward I guess."

Nicole Smith

"Geez, that guy was a dick. With a name like Slim Pete I thought he'd be the happy buddha belly kind of drug dealer."

Nico puffed away at the menthol in silence and eventually Mark took the hint. As they pulled into his driveway he set the engine to idle and coughed into his fist nervously. "So yeah, I'm just gonna wait here right? Do you need any help carrying anything? I can give you a ride back."

Increasingly fed up with his bullshit, she grunted something noncommittal and pushed her way out of the car. Taint biting creepy assed son of a bitch, pissing of Slim Pete and making this whole roundabout secondary trip necessary. Nico made the walk home in good time and kicked the door open with some force, startling Jen as she poured some scotch into a bowl of frosted cereal.

"gently caress man, who poo poo in your Cheerios?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Tully – Veteran

Smiling, Jack spoke calmly trying to keep MacPherson as calm as possible.

“Glad to meet you. Now I'm not here for a social call Jack, though I'm sure you've met a fellow time-traveller or two. I'm trying to spread word around about a possible danger. Do you remember earlier this morning, by about 6 hours at the airport? I've been investigating and I've come across a few worrying things. When we first got this power, the 'Time Keeper' mentioned something about time being taken. Everyone else I met can only do a few seconds but the individual at the airport managed far more then that. They must have taken a lot of time to be capable of that.”

Jack stopped, letting his words sink in for a bit. Jumping in too fast with the next bit could definitely cause a panic.

"I've been going around trying to get people to be on their guard, especially around a Blonde European woman; out of all the evidence I've gathered, she seems like the best fit but I don't have anything definite. Whoever was at the airport has taken a lot of time, and probably won't have any issue with taking more. I'm hoping we can prevent that by getting as many people on the lookout as possible. However, you're in a unique situation. No one else I know about is as young as you, so Mr Karpessian and I want to make sure you remain as safe as possible."

Side stepping the whole possible death issue, Jack settled aback to let Karpessian take over. If the kid was smart, he would already be making a few connections but hearing it for definite from someone he knew would hopefully soften the blow a bit and Jack was never to good at dealing with kid's anyway. He'd step back in after Karpessian finished getting the point across.

Sorry for being a bit slow. Few unexpected things happened.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

October 7, 12:00 PM, T-3 Seconds+++

Jack Tully - Veteran (Chatmode?)

"I-I don't know any European blondes. A-a-a-and yeah I felt it happen at the airport too. And then downtown and a bunch of other places all around."

He gulped, obviously holding something back as he awkwardly changed the subject and did his best to look nonchalant. Over the years Jack had seen an endless parade of teenaged boys get into all sorts of deeply stupid and easily preventable shenanigans, most of which led back to the same age-old reason. There was a girl involved. Karpessian, with decades of similar experience under his belt drew the same conclusions and met Jack's gaze, inclining his head inquiringly but not pressing the matter any further.

"Y-you did it just now too right? D-d-d-d-do we need to call my Dad? He's probably b-b-busy at work right now."

There was a rolloff and J-j-jack didn't quite make it. The impression you've got is that he's not being entirely forthcoming, but it might just be unrelated kid stuff. Karpessian's caught on too and is willing to help you go tag team on social combating the poor kid into submission if that's what you want to go for.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Nicole Smith

Who poo poo in her Cheerios? "Basically loving everybody. Eric, Ernesto, Mark, Pete, -" she stopped mid-sentence, having caught herself before saying weird guy at the High School because that was no way Jen wouldn't have quite a few follow-up questions after that particular revelation.

To try and cover up her near-faux pas, Nico shrugged her shoulders and groaned with obvious frustration and barely concealed contempt. "Specially loving Mark - how loving Aspergersly retarded do you have to be to remind Slim Pete he got his loving rear end beat? While at his house? While trying to loving pick up bud since I'm loving out as of this morning?!" It felt good to let someone else know just what a colossal dipshit Mark had been so far. The fact that he thought he had any sort of chance with her at all was the most delusional, pathetic, and frankly insulting thing in the entire universe.

Stalking off to her room to retrieve Ernesto's her cash, she did some quick mental math while counting back through the stack. 500, minus 60 for the eighth, and that again for another one, and maybe stop at JavaCove... and ended up withdrawing $200 from her account with the Bank of Hidden Cash. She stashed it in her purse, put the rest back, seriously considered abandoning Pete and Mark altogether and just finding someone else who had some nug to hang out with until work, and then finally said gently caress it and began the arduous journey up the road to Mark's.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Tully – Veteran

Deciding to press on, Jack made his own small nod to Karpessian and carried on.

“Yeah, I've probably investigated most of those places you've felt over the course of today, just trying to spread the word to be on the lookout. Speaking of, if you happen to meet any fellow time-travellers around, it would be good of you to pass on the message. You won't have to pass it on to that girl you were chatting too earlier, I already caught up with her.”

Classic interrogation technique; 'I know everything, so there's not point hiding anything from me'. Hopefully Jack's insight proved right and would shake the kid up a bit. There wouldn't be any time for complacency if Jack's worse suspicions turned out to be true.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

October 7, 1:00 PM

Nicole Smith

"Yeah Ernesto spazzed out or had a heart attack or something on our lawn. Apparently the neighbors had to call an ambulance for him. What was the deal with that?"

"Eh, I dunno? Must have happened while I was out?"

Jen stared at Nico as she spooned through her scotchy charms, but shrugged it off anyway not really caring much either way.

"Whatever man. Somebody also drank all the milk last night so if you could get some of that on your way back that'd be cool."

Nico waved as she took off, the pretense of not hearing good enough of a reason to jog to Mark's as anything else. She found him waiting in his car smoking the butt end of something that smelled like crap. He offered it to her halfheartedly but whatever it was reeked and she waved it away before climbing into the car as she breathed through her mouth.

"Slim Pete's."

They drove in silence, although Mark chewed away at the butt nervously, tapping his fingers against the dashboard as he occasionally turned his head to look her way. He opened his mouth to say something but couldn't work up the nerve until the third or fourth try.

"So hey uh Nico? You got like five bucks for gas or something? I'm kind of running low. You know how it is right? Grass, cash, or hm, rear end."

He coughed at the last part, obviously trying to play it off as a casual maybe-joke but still looking at her with a creepy mix of expectation and hope that made her skin crawl. Ugh.

Jack Tully – Veteran

"Ar-are you going to call Chris down t-t-too?"

Roger pushed forward without skipping a beat at the new information, coming to the same conclusion that Jack did simultaneously. It made sense, especially given the implied dangers of the Timekeeper's warning. Two or more teens acting in opposition explained a lot about the frequency and recklessness of the incidents.

"Yes. Since he's also caught up in all this time travel business it's only prudent that we speak with him as well. Given your problems, I didn't want the two of you together in here at the same time. I'll call for him once we're done here. For now, you know the drill."

He pushed the pen and paper across the desk and the boy frowned and began the laborious process of committing 'his side' to paper. Ten minutes passed, fifteen and more before he finally laid it down atop the multi-paged essay detailing the morning's events and read it aloud. The spilled milk at home, the morning's events (beginning with his use of Time Forward to "w-w-win a million dollars," the panicked conflict with Chris over the winning lottery ticket which had finally been confiscated by their English teacher, and the intrusion of the girl who wasn't a cop) He stared at Karpessian glumly in silence as the period bell rang.

"C-c-c-can I go now? This is my l-l-l-lunch."

Karpessian looked to Jack expectantly.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Nicole Smith
Goddamit, how was it possible to be so unsmooth? It hadn't really occurred to her before, but Mark kindof fit the serial killer profile aside from being such an obvious pussy. Fucker.

"Uh, yeah, let's stop at a gas station and I'll buy cigs and some poo poo, you can have the change or whatever since I guess you need it." What a selfish dick, we're picking weed up so he was obviously gonna get some goddamn grass. Plus apparently he thinks I'm a loving whore.

They rode in silence for a bit longer, Nico staring out the window in all too apparent irritation. Today had been bullshit. What was the point of time powers if you couldn't use them to stop dumb poo poo from piling on all the time? Weed would be great, but work was looming like distant thunderclouds over her afternoon.

After a few minutes of tense car cohabitation later, they reached a Citgo near the turn to the road that lead to Slim Pete's trailer park. A quick jaunt into the Gas Station for
  • a pack of Camel Filters
  • two Starbucks cold prepacked coffees, one vanilla and one mocha
  • a pack of Sour Apple BubbleYum
  • and handing the few bills and coins it left out of the sacrificial twenty to Mark so he could pay for gas
later, and Nico was back in his car, waiting for them to get a move on. This next part was gonna suck, she was pretty certain Pete and Mark interacting again was going to end up being a loving disaster. Might as well get it over.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Tully – Veteran

Thinking through his options, Jack was a bit stumped at how to proceed. Young Jack didn't really seem to grasp the possible danger he was in, but then again that might be for the best. Teenagers with time powers worried for their lives was sure to cause troubles. There was also the possibility that this threat was being blown out of the proportion, so a bit of scepticism might not be so bad.

“This should be fine for now, but don't leave school immediately. We may need to speak to you again.”

When MacPherson had left, Jack returned his attention to Roger, quickly outlining the plan. There were 2 areas that would be ideal for their rogue blonde; the start or end of the school day, or simply walking in.

“We can work on anyone else getting in; you've had a bunch of strangers get in already, so that's the excuse to increase security. Leaving and entering school is the real issue here; if they come and go at the regular time, they're vulnerable but the crowd offers them some safety. Holding them back or letting them leave early let's them avoid the most obvious trap, but they become a lot more obvious to observers. Plus, they're already messing about with lottery tickets and stupid rivalries within school; how will they react if we give them the equivalent of a detention every day? That same reasons means we can't just let them play hooky for a fortnight.”

Swiftly becoming aware that he was just some jackass off the street and had no say in the school lives of a couple of high schoolers, Jack forcibly shut his mouth and turned to give the expert a chance to talk.

“You're here everyday and know them and the school best. What's the most feasible option for keeping them out of sight?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

October 7, 1:00 PM+

Nicole Smith

"I-"

The awkward silence sat between them as Mark tried to simultaneously avoid eye contact while driving and trying to gauge how badly he'd misjudged the situation. Pretty unsmooth.

"Uh-"

She tapped at the pack of Camels in irritation, thinking about all the bullshit she'd had to endure so far today at the hands of various assholes and their constant time-dickery. If only there was some way she could use it to really hit a big score or proactively unfuck poo poo in advance somehow. But then it'd have to fit into the timeframe of whatever could happen in three seconds right? loving bullshit.

The silence held as they wound their way back through the trailer park and for the first time all loving day Mark had the good sense to keep his shitfucking mouth shut as they pulled up and she exited the car and approached the kiddy pool. Slim Pete was just like Nico had left him, a Big Gulp in one hand and his phone in the other as a bunch of meth addicts argued in front of him. She kept her expression neutral and bland, pointedly not thinking about how those guys were hosed up and skinheadtastic as the shouting escalated from slurs to death threats to shoving before Slim Pete waved his phone and called out to her.

"Wassup bitch. You got my money?"

Jack Tully – Veteran

"Keeping them here? In-school suspension would probably be best, I could even make something up about keeping them behind for extra detention after school to avoid the rush but if somebody's starting fires and murdering people there's realistically nothing I can do to keep them safe beyond locking the door and sitting outside the office myself all day. If your blonde really wanted to she could just pull a fire alarm or sneak in behind some seniors playing hooky and we'd be out of luck. The school's not meant to really keep people out and I don't have the resources to increase security. Counting the hall monitors there's only five people 'in charge' of security for the entire building. The best I can do is notify Officer Bates, the cop assigned to us, and try to convince him that this is something we should really try to keep an eye on."

Roger waited for the teen to leave and checked outside the door of the office itself before continuing.

"I think he'll come around if I explain the situation to him a bit beforehand, provided you can do your thing again. For that matter, I really think getting Victoria in the loop on this would be a good idea too. If it's really a danger to the kids and we need to work something out she'll have the authority to sign off on whatever else we need to do or call for help."

He looked over Young Jack's written essay again, going over the facts and details as he thought over the next best step.

"We should probably get Chris Gillman down here sooner than later too. He's an allstar football stereotype but deep down he's just as jumpy and likely to bolt as Jack is if he thinks he's in trouble. Probably be harder to handle too because he's got his own car and his parents are attorneys."

• Locked thread