Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Which reminds me, I have 2 kg of horse meat in the freezer. I'll make a nice traditional horse Gulasch and post it here soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hopper posted:

Semmelknoedel are totally easy.

Ingredients:

baguette (or similar buns)
milk
egg
fresh parsley
salt
pepper

for ~6 knoedel:
1. If you buy the baguette fresh, let it rest on the counter 1 day so it dries up a bit, then cut it into fine strips/small cubes
2. Put about 250 g in a bowl
3. cut the fresh parsley finely
3. Heat up ~250 ml milk, pour into the bowl and cover with a kitchen cloth, let rest for 10 minutes
4. add 1 large whole egg, the fresh parsley, salt and pepper
5. knead with your hands until it is a sticky dough
6. form ~6 round dumplings and set aside on a plate
7. heat a large pot with water lightly salt it if you want
8. SLOWLY let the dumplings glide into the water (put them on a spoon, don't dump them in, they must have room to float)
9. reduce the heat and let them simmer in the water for 5-8 minutes they will pop to the surface when almost ready
10. take one out cut it open an check if it is warm and still slightly firm in the center, you don't want them all soggy from the water

I made Semmelknoedel last night (no pictures) and god drat, so much better than packet crap. I had them with a roast chicken and plenty of home made gravy. Delicious. I didn't weigh out 250g of bread, I just kinda winged the milk to bread and added 1 egg. They were sticky and kept their form quite well.

One thing I noted was they floated 100% of the time (step 9 reads like they usually sink then float to the top when they're close to ready). My dumplings never sunk, so I just rotated them around in the water every so often trying to get an even cook.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's fine, the sinking only really works at a specific egg - milk - bread ratio... I usually also wing it and turn them. Glad you like them.

• Locked thread