Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked that Mr. Goldenfold was leading the sewer people back to Surface World near the end lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, beth's defining character trait is being crazy obsessed with her dad leaving her and willing to sacrifice her entire family for his approval and security. If Morty and Summer were all "it's either grandpa or us" it would be no question either. Jerry and the kids would be moving out and Beth would drown out the feelings in wine and the comfort of knowing her dad didn't abandon her for one more day. She's hosed, she's maybe even more pathetic than Jerry she just hides it better. Morty means well but is actually retarded or something. Summer is the only hope.

She might be a lovely mum, but I don't think she'd sacrifice her children for Rick. Then again, I know Dan has a somewhat bitter relationship with his parents so maybe I'm wrong.

Last Chance posted:

I liked that Mr. Goldenfold was leading the sewer people back to Surface World near the end lol

Haha, yeah, I noticed that too. He always falls into a leader role and I'm sure he's gonna spin Rick's success into something he can take advantage of.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

When confronted with plane terrorists, this is a guy who fights back, not somebody who meekly cowers in fear.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Baronjutter posted:

She's hosed, she's maybe even more pathetic than Jerry she just hides it better.

Oh she's definitely more pathetic than Jerry, she's an insecure enabler and I'm hoping that side of her is explored more this season.

It'd be funny if it turns out that divorcing Beth really is the best thing that happened to Jerry. Throughout the season his life just keeps getting better and better and her life just gets worse and worse.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

fantastic episode that i was laughing the whole way through but i think my favorite line was "no i don't want to see your pog collection" of all things

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In case anybody was wondering about timing, they're about to start the Wedding Squanchers, so the new episode should be on right after that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Amazing episode.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I have re-watched this episode 10 times by now. I'm not afraid to admit this.

We'll have this and new GoT episodes this Summer!!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

El Jeffe posted:

The part in Rick's "tragic backstory" where his family dies was actually true

Doubtful. Rick himself said that it was made up and could be made up on account of it being a fabrication inside the Shoney's.

But you know what was outside the Shoney's?

His wife leaving him and taking Beth with her.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene was too hackneyed for Richard Sanchez.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The season 2 opener was kind of lacking, so I didn't have huge expectations this time around, but that was legitimately cool and fun stuff. This is a pretty strong start.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

basic hitler posted:

The season 2 opener was kind of lacking, so I didn't have huge expectations this time around, but that was legitimately cool and fun stuff. This is a pretty strong start.

Trust me, ish is about to get absolutely fuckawesome.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Did anyone hear what Rick was saying while watching 9/11 on the tv?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
It might prove somewhat minor, but the Council of Ricks being destroyed impacts things inter-dimensionally, while the fall of the Galactic Federation is presumably localized to the current dimension. Maybe more in the category of "don't think about it" than potential plot thread, but I'm not sure they've completely closed the book on the Galactic Federation (beyond any Tammy stuff, of course). Whereas the Council of Ricks is basically rubble at this point.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Things go "too perfectly" for rick all the drat time, milking drama out of Earth being taken over and Beth and Summer crying over Rick being missing for multiple episodes isn't the kind of show that this is and the status quo of Rick being revealed as both unstoppable and a real piece of poo poo and Jerry off doing something else is far more likely.

Yeah I think the funny thing is that for all the sci-fi and action elements none of that stuff every *really* poses a threat to Rick - he can always get through it. What really endangers Rick are his emotional hang-ups: the Unity episode, his conflicted attachment to his grandkids and family, even jealousy like with the Stephen Colbert episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Megaspel posted:

She might be a lovely mum, but I don't think she'd sacrifice her children for Rick. Then again, I know Dan has a somewhat bitter relationship with his parents so maybe I'm wrong.

Nah I think you're right. Like Rick said at the end, she wouldn't have accepted him if he had returned without Morty and Summer.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Doubtful. Rick himself said that it was made up

Rick says a lot of things. The fact that young Beth is there (in the "origin story" part) means that at least some of it was from memory and not imagination. My thought is that most of that part was made-up, especially the formula, but his family dying really happened which set in motion his dimension-hopping years.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Doubtful. Rick himself said that it was made up and could be made up on account of it being a fabrication inside the Shoney's.

But you know what was outside the Shoney's?

His wife leaving him and taking Beth with her.

That's actually very interesting because it parallels what happened to Jerry at the end of the episode.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Evil Morty can be spotted hiding in the background during the Galactic Fed / Ricks showdown.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Milovan Drecun posted:

It might prove somewhat minor, but the Council of Ricks being destroyed impacts things inter-dimensionally, while the fall of the Galactic Federation is presumably localized to the current dimension. Maybe more in the category of "don't think about it" than potential plot thread, but I'm not sure they've completely closed the book on the Galactic Federation (beyond any Tammy stuff, of course). Whereas the Council of Ricks is basically rubble at this point.

Yeah, it took the destruction of a lot of Ricks from tons of dimensions to destroy the central government of just one dimension. Even if they were mostly adversaries, the Council was potentially able to help Rick. Now he doesn't have that support.

Do you think Tammy did that thing because she had some actual feelings, or is it all about psychological warfare?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

prefect posted:

psychological warfare?

Considering Bird Person was one of Rick's best friends, more likely this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

Rick says a lot of things. The fact that young Beth is there (in the "origin story" part) means that at least some of it was from memory and not imagination. My thought is that most of that part was made-up, especially the formula, but his family dying really happened which set in motion his dimension-hopping years.

The way the show's setup I feel it's equally likely that his fake backstory is similar to his actual backstory, or that it was completely made-up and Beth's actually just a clone or something.

prefect posted:

Yeah, it took the destruction of a lot of Ricks from tons of dimensions to destroy the central government of just one dimension. Even if they were mostly adversaries, the Council was potentially able to help Rick. Now he doesn't have that support.

That was only because Seal Team Rick hosed up his original plan/him also then wanting to gently caress them over for doing that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So if the federation is destroyed because you can't trust fiat currency buy gold or check out bitcoins people, who's funding and paying for phoenix person and Tammy's lab and all that?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Milovan Drecun posted:

If there's an infinite number of dimensions and infinite number of Ricks then logically there's either an infinite number of Councils of Rick or the Council has an infinite number of members. So really they can show up again whenever it's funny to do so.

But the infinite number of Ricks might have been Rick just talking poo poo so who knows.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Why does Rick accuse Jerry of betraying him to the galactic federation, when Rick turned himself under the guise of Jerry? Rick obviously cares deeply about actual acts of betrayal (Gearhead, Mr. Needful), so I don't know why he'd accuse Jerry of such when it'd be unnecessary and somewhat out of character?

I mean, Jerry has never been a patriarch. That's why there's an interdimensional daycare center devoted to his infinite selves.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Jove posted:

Why does Rick accuse Jerry of betraying him to the galactic federation, when Rick turned himself under the guise of Jerry? Rick obviously cares deeply about actual acts of betrayal (Gearhead, Mr. Needful), so I don't know why he'd accuse Jerry of such when it'd be unnecessary and somewhat out of character?

I mean, Jerry has never been a patriarch. That's why there's an interdimensional daycare center devoted to his infinite selves.

Jerry was planning on turning him in, which Rick overheard and made him want to turn himself in first. If he hadn't turned himself in, Jerry would have gotten him thrown in jail anyway.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jove posted:

Evil Morty can be spotted hiding in the background during the Galactic Fed / Ricks showdown.

Do you have an image or time stamp? I'm not seeing it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jove posted:

How could you tell? He threw away his eyepatch last time we saw him, and other than that, he looks like most other Morties.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

prefect posted:

How could you tell? He threw away his eyepatch last time we saw him, and other than that, he looks like most other Morties.

That's just what he wants you to think. Sucker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kingtheninja posted:

Well they're doing that live action Mulan soon, I would say that's your best chance at seeing it come back.

If you click the link that's the whole point :thejoke:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

Morty means well but is actually retarded or something. Summer is the only hope.

My favorite part of the episode was when Morty points the gun at Rick and he's like "dude, I actually do care about Summer but he was falling for it!" and the other Rick is like "hahahaha oh man I totally was! You hosed up everything Morty!"

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
My fav side moment had to be the employee of the month. Like, seriously, there's utter chaos and mayhem everywhere, the most wanted escaped criminal is at the terminal that can destroy your civilization and instead of just shooting him, you yell: "Freeze!"

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

In the fabricated backstory, Diane is wearing a wedding ring but Rick isn't. Probably means little to nothing.

There was some sparse discussion relating to this over a few pages and I've wanted to write about this for a while, so I'll just spew:

Funny thing about 'infinite Ricks' is there would then be infinite rogues too. That's how infinities work. The only way you get finite rogues (meaning, nearly or just, one) is finite Ricks. This falls in line with the idea of a deterministic universe where a bunch of planck length related bullshit comes in to describe the minimum amount of difference between one universe and the next, that being just one existential 'bit' of information that differs between thusly adjacent universes at or near the very moment of the big bang. The maximum is then how many 'bits' can be different before things are too fundamentally different to still produce a Rick. It's like procedural generation, where if you stray too far then things get weird (Hammer Morty being out on the fringe, for example), but you have to change the seed by at least one bit to get a different version. This falls in line with Rick mentioning that they only get two or three more 'bailouts' to similar enough universes where their compatriots have died; this implies the universes that contain Rick, the universes similar enough to drop into, and the universes where Rick and/or Morty have died are all finite, and so all universes are finite. The numbers are still obscenely large of course.

"Infinite realities... well not really but I just don't feel like explaining entropy at universal genesis to you." is a very Rickish reasoning.

Another idea is that Ricks are truly infinite, but the sole rogues are a centerpoint of clusters of them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ranzear posted:

In the fabricated backstory, Diane is wearing a wedding ring but Rick isn't. Probably means little to nothing.

There was some sparse discussion relating to this over a few pages and I've wanted to write about this for a while, so I'll just spew:

Funny thing about 'infinite Ricks' is there would then be infinite rogues too. That's how infinities work. The only way you get finite rogues (meaning, nearly or just, one) is finite Ricks. This falls in line with the idea of a deterministic universe where a bunch of planck length related bullshit comes in to describe the minimum amount of difference between one universe and the next, that being just one existential 'bit' of information that differs between thusly adjacent universes at or near the very moment of the big bang. The maximum is then how many 'bits' can be different before things are too fundamentally different to still produce a Rick. It's like procedural generation, where if you stray too far then things get weird (Hammer Morty being out on the fringe, for example), but you have to change the seed by at least one bit to get a different version. This falls in line with Rick mentioning that they only get two or three more 'bailouts' to similar enough universes where their compatriots have died; this implies the universes that contain Rick, the universes similar enough to drop into, and the universes where Rick and/or Morty have died are all finite, and so all universes are finite. The numbers are still obscenely large of course.

"Infinite realities... well not really but I just don't feel like explaining entropy at universal genesis to you." is a very Rickish reasoning.

Another idea is that Ricks are truly infinite, but the sole rogues are a centerpoint of clusters of them.

Yea but how many half-a press ricks are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New thread's here.

• Locked thread