Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Omg I forgot about this :( I think playing the first game in a variety of famous series would be cool, and hopefully prevent burnout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I completely forgot about this after a while but I still did the following things that should be noted personally by all of you:

- Completed Extra Mode in Kirby's Dream Land in Kirby's Dream Collection
-Completed 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure 100% (Hero of Lore!!!!) on 3DS
-Beat Kirby Super Star in Kirby's Dream Collection on Wii
-Beat Kirby Triple Deluxe on 3DS

So I guess I participated anyway. Poorly.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Grawl posted:

Alright, a new year is coming and it seems people lost interest in Kirby -- myself included.

Does anyone have a good idea for the 2015 challenge? Megaman, Sonic, Dragon Quest, Metroid, Castlevania, Resident Evil etc. etc.? Or perhaps "an introduction to games", and just play the first game of certain series?

My preference would go:

Megaman > Dragon Quest > Castlevania > Different Series > *

Alternative options: Zeldas? Tomb Raiders?

And I'll be participating this year. Unfortunately I only found this thread in late October so I decided it was too late for me.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 17, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ernie. posted:

My preference would go:

Megaman > Dragon Quest > Castlevania > Different Series > *

Alternative options: Zeldas? Tomb Raiders?

And I'll be participating this year. Unfortunately I only found this thread in late October so I decided it was too late for me.

I hope it goes in favor of Mega Man. There's an eShop sale going right now and I just bought a bunch of MegaMan GB games and that would give me additional motivation to get good at them.

edit: I started Nightmare in Dream Land and will probably finish it today or tomorrow, I will grab a picture when I do.

edit2: Nightmare in Dream Land finished!

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 18, 2014

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Looper posted:

Omg I forgot about this :( I think playing the first game in a variety of famous series would be cool, and hopefully prevent burnout

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It'll prevent burnout and people will get to try something new when they feel the need. There seems to be a huge demand for Megaman, but people will probably finish a few and never look back. How about this for 2015 instead? It can be the retro year, whatever.

So the first in these series:

- Sonic (Genesis)
- Megaman (NES)
- Dragon Quest (NES)
- Final Fantasy (NES)
- Castlevania (NES)
- Metroid (NES)

There's always the option to expand if needed.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 18, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'd be down for a Sonic marathon because I've played them all already and more people should share in my misery :suicide:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Maybe throw Mario, Kirby, and Zelda in for newbies / those of us who missed the earlier marathons?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Quidnose posted:

Maybe throw Mario, Kirby, and Zelda in for newbies / those of us who missed the earlier marathons?

You should just do those anyway because they're all great. :shrug:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I would be down for a first-in-series sampler.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
The problem with a first-in-the-series thing is that for some of those series the first entry is widely accepted to be one of the weaker entries. MM1, Metroid 1 and Sonic 1 are all solid titles by themselves but lack a lot of the refinements that make the sequels great. Personally, I feel like all a marathon like that would do is make me wish I was playing one of the sequels. A smorgasbord style marathon like that could be good but I don't think that'd be the best way to do it.

My vote goes for a Mega Man marathon.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

AHungryRobot posted:

The problem with a first-in-the-series thing is that for some of those series the first entry is widely accepted to be one of the weaker entries. MM1, Metroid 1 and Sonic 1 are all solid titles by themselves but lack a lot of the refinements that make the sequels great. Personally, I feel like all a marathon like that would do is make me wish I was playing one of the sequels. A smorgasbord style marathon like that could be good but I don't think that'd be the best way to do it.

My vote goes for a Mega Man marathon.

I agree with this. Maybe there could be some kind of compromise where you pick a franchise (I'd vote Mega Man) for a typical marathon thread and then in addition as a side thing there could be the "classics sampler" challenge or something where you pick a short list of firsts in other franchises and people could pick at that for variety if they start to feel burnt out on the main series.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Grawl posted:

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It'll prevent burnout and people will get to try something new when they feel the need. There seems to be a huge demand for Megaman, but people will probably finish a few and never look back. How about this for 2015 instead? It can be the retro year, whatever.

So the first in these series:

- Sonic (Genesis)
- Megaman (NES)
- Dragon Quest (NES)
- Final Fantasy (NES)
- Castlevania (NES)
- Metroid (NES)

There's always the option to expand if needed.

Personally if we had to do a series wide thing, I'd go with the best of from each franchise.

-Sonic The Hedgehog 2
-Megaman 2
-Super Metroid
-Symphony of the night
etc.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Megaman 2 is not the best mega man.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I one hundred percented Kirby Superstar - All Treasures in Cave Offensive, All Powers in Milky Way Wishes, beat the True Arena. Unless those minigames count I guess. I also got all Sun Stones in Triple Deluxe, although you have to get most of them.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Quidnose posted:

Not a bad idea. Easy(ish), short games.

AHungryRobot posted:

Pixeltendo posted:

Personally if we had to do a series wide thing, I'd go with the best of from each franchise.

-Sonic The Hedgehog 2
-Megaman 2
-Super Metroid
-Symphony of the night
etc.

That's what 2016 is for then.

The Silver Snail posted:

Megaman 2 is not the best mega man.

For this reason as well. Let people "taste" the games. I don't think many played the very first games in the series a whole lot. Sure, I played Mario and Sonic when I was a kid, but I can't remember finishing it all the way anymore.

13/f/cali posted:

I agree with this. Maybe there could be some kind of compromise where you pick a franchise (I'd vote Mega Man) for a typical marathon thread and then in addition as a side thing there could be the "classics sampler" challenge or something where you pick a short list of firsts in other franchises and people could pick at that for variety if they start to feel burnt out on the main series.

I'm fine with multiple marathons, but I'm not "hosting" both.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 20, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

-Sonic The Hedgehog 2
-Megaman 2
-Super Metroid
-Symphony of the night
etc.

Then you'd just have people arguing about what the best in series is (three of those four are not the best)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

How about this as a compromise.

Label it as the franchise itself that way if someone say wants to play Megaman 2, and the other player wants to try Megaman 3, they're both legible to the table score under 'Megaman'.

Pixeltendo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 20, 2014

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'd be down for Megamanathon, just sayin'. At least none of them feel like huge ordeals to beat, unlike a certain N64 Kirby game...

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Label it as the franchise itself that way if someone say wants to play Megaman 2, and the other player wants to try Megaman 3, they're both illegible to the table score under 'Megaman'.

This is a pretty great typo!

Alternatively, we can do a console marathon. I.E. Play all the Gamecube's RPGs or the SNES's platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C