Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slanderer posted:

He's saying that you can't make that argument "minorities commit crimes all the time! and the accused is also a minority, so he probably commits crimes too!" in court.
Yeah, though that isn't really relevant, because it is more about subtle biases. The biases of jurors, judges, prosecutors, and even defense attorneys.
I know that my white clients tend to get slightly better deals from DAs. Sometimes due to unconscious racism on the part of a DA or judge. Sometimes because of socio-economic factors (if your parents can put you in rehab or you're in a 4 year college, you'll do better, which favors rich people, who tend to be white due to the legacy of racism), and sometime simply having shorter rap sheets (a white kid gets stopped and searched way less often than black kids, which means when they are doing something illegal they're more likely to get caught. And the white kid is more likely to get a warning. Study in CA showed that while whites were ore likely to be carrying MJ, blacks were ore likely to be arrested for it.)

Not sure this is on topic at all though because I'm pretty sure evryone involved in all these incidents are white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Breaking news: prosecutor Erin Choi (verified breast-haver) called Cecily a big faker for changing her story days after the fact.

As men (non breast-havers), I suggest we defer her judgement for the time being. Unless, of course, you wish to invoke Male Privilege....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slanderer posted:

Breaking news: prosecutor Erin Choi (verified breast-haver) called Cecily a big faker for changing her story days after the fact.

As men (non breast-havers), I suggest we defer her judgement for the time being. Unless, of course, you wish to invoke Male Privilege....
Breaking news: Prosecutors whose promotions are based on win rates will say anything to win a case.

poo poo, I don't know what's true here, but just because one side of the adversarial justice system says it is true, doesn't make it true.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

nm posted:

Breaking news: Prosecutors whose promotions are based on win rates will say anything to win a case.

poo poo, I don't know what's true here, but just because one side of the adversarial justice system says it is true, doesn't make it true.

You mean...she might be a tool of the Patriarchy?

I don't know what to believe anymore...

actually I believe it's funny when people commit civil disobedience and expect not to get in trouble because they are white

Caros
May 14, 2008

Slanderer posted:

Breaking news: Prosecutor Erin Choi also said "Cecily is ‘not shy’ and therefore ‘would not have trouble reporting sexual assault.’” thus marginalizing the plight of victims of sexual assault. She also said that Bovell would have had to have iron hands to leave a bruise through clothes.

And you know what, if we want to talk 'fakers' Bovell couldn't, on the stand, reliably remember which side of his face he'd been injured in. So I guess he's just a big faker too.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Caros posted:

Breaking news: Prosecutor Erin Choi also said "Cecily is ‘not shy’ and therefore ‘would not have trouble reporting sexual assault.’” thus marginalizing the plight of victims of sexual assault. She also said that Bovell would have had to have iron hands to leave a bruise through clothes.
In hindsight this could actually be really triggering for any cyborg cops out there that are ashamed about their iron hands, so I'm officially OFF team Choi!

Caros posted:

And you know what, if we want to talk 'fakers' Bovell couldn't, on the stand, reliably remember which side of his face he'd been injured in. So I guess he's just a big faker too.

I guess she must have elbow-slammed him hard enough to give him permanent brain damage and impaired his memory, which is really tragic for his family I'd imagine.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Slanderer posted:

Actually that was a reply to the supposition that she was, in fact, acting reflexively. I have no idea whether or not this is true. As a non breast-haver, I cannot confirm or deny this.

It's good to know that as a certified ball haver you are ok with police hitting people in the nuts during an arrest and if the nut haver happens to hit the police officer as a result then it's jail time for those nuts. Just part of the job. Nothing that can be abused here

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's good to know that as a certified ball haver you are ok with police hitting people in the nuts during an arrest and if the nut haver happens to hit the police officer as a result then it's jail time for those nuts. Just part of the job. Nothing that can be abused here

I always wear a cup in case I am aggressed upon by the police (the instrument of the "lawful government's" monopoly on violence). Although testicular violence is a violation of my natural property rights, this will be rectified by a new contract with my preferred Dispute Resolution Organization.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
Holy poo poo you're unfunny!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What the gently caress, was this thread necroed just to hold a stupid pissing contest?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

What the gently caress, was this thread necroed just to hold a stupid pissing contest?

Actually it got necroed to talk about a new police abuse. Then slanderer decided to poo poo up the thread by being willfully obtuse.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I hope the mods use all necessary force on this thread.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nm posted:

Do the prosecutor's offices in your part of the country dole out promotions based on trial conviction rates or overall conviction rates? They don't in mine based on my experience, and I'm glad for that, because that can't create a great environment or good results for anybody.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Caros posted:

Actually it got necroed to talk about a new police abuse. Then slanderer decided to poo poo up the thread by being willfully obtuse.

ACAB (all caros are bastards)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Having actually seen the video of the elbow it's pretty damning. In no way is she actually reacting to any boob grab.

Seriously, don't martyr yourselves over this one. Save it for unambiguous abuses.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Do the prosecutor's offices in your part of the country dole out promotions based on trial conviction rates or overall conviction rates? They don't in mine based on my experience, and I'm glad for that, because that can't create a great environment or good results for anybody.

It is all unofficial, but yes.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Having actually seen the video of the elbow it's pretty damning. In no way is she actually reacting to any boob grab.

Seriously, don't martyr yourselves over this one. Save it for unambiguous abuses.

Like the time 2 years ago when Florida cops knocked on the wrong guy's door in the middle of the night without announcing they were cops, killed him when he answered the door with a gun in his hands, and then it was ruled justifiable homicide and everyone sort of forgot about it? Oh, and it turns out the guy the cops were originally looking for hadn't done anything wrong either.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Sucrose posted:

Like the time 2 years ago when Florida cops knocked on the wrong guy's door in the middle of the night without announcing they were cops, killed him when he answered the door with a gun in his hands, and then it was ruled justifiable homicide and everyone sort of forgot about it? Oh, and it turns out the guy the cops were originally looking for hadn't done anything wrong either.

wasnt he like a vet or something, too?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lyesh posted:

To the point where you're fine with her being convicted of a felony? What the hell?

No, of course I'm not. But it happens a lot that people get so kneejerky about their dislike of cops and the results of the incidents that they make up or latch onto details that aren't true and concoct awful hypothetical stories that are contradicted by everything except the first story they saw or the first rumor they heard. Just because the cop was in the wrong doesn't mean it doesn't matter why they were wrong, and just because the verdict was unjust doesn't mean it doesn't matter why the jury ruled the way they did.

In this case, groping was an extremely flimsy excuse that was very unlikely to fly, because the context in which it occurred (a cop physically grabbing a struggling person) made it very possible for it to have been accidental, and she had one hell of an uphill battle to convince them that it was intentional. It was police brutality, but for whatever reason, she chose to focus on the groping defense instead - which is a blasted shame, because one that claimed simple brutality fared much better than she did, as did the ones who took plea deals. Of course, plenty of others who've been subjected to police brutality didn't get off using that. We mustn't forget that she was not the only person arrested or charged at OWS, nor was she even the only person arrested and charged that night, nor was she even the only person charged with that specific crime. I see a lot of people treating this as a special snowflake one of a kind atrocity, when there's already been hundreds of people charged with basically the same thing - but with much less public outrage for some reason.

http://nytimes.com/2014/05/19/nyregion/sentencing-nears-for-occupy-wall-street-protesters-assault-case.html

quote:

Six other Occupy Wall Street protesters were charged with assaulting police officers. Only one, Diana Smith, 33, a graphic artist from Brooklyn, took a similar stand to Ms. McMillan’s and chose to go to trial.

Like Ms. McMillan, Ms. Smith took the witness stand and claimed the police had assaulted her, not the other way around. She also had turned down a deal under which she would have pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and avoided jail.

After a weeklong trial in April 2013, a jury acquitted Ms. Smith of the felony but found her guilty of a misdemeanor: obstruction of governmental administration. Justice Michael Sonberg sentenced her to 10 days of community service and three years of probation. Only a handful of fellow protesters showed up in court.

“She chose to go to trial and it worked out in her favor,” Ms. Smith’s lawyer, Anthony Cecutti, said. “She was willing to put a felony conviction and jail time on the line.”

Five other protesters who were charged with attacking officers accepted offers from the Manhattan district attorney’s office that kept them out of state prison and left them without a felony conviction on their records.

Damien Guarniere, a man in his 40s from North Carolina, ended up serving time: a 90-day stint in city jail for obstructing governmental administration. He was accused of knocking a police officer to the ground and punching him the face.

Nicholas Thommen, a war veteran and former Marine from Oregon, was accused of swinging a pole at two undercover detectives during a march near Astor Place in the East Village.

Mr. Thommen reached an agreement with prosecutors to plead guilty to the felony assault charge with the understanding that, after he did 100 hours of community service, he could withdraw that plea and plead guilty to a disorderly conduct violation instead. Known colloquially in criminal court as a “repleader,” this arrangement is common for first time offenders, his lawyer, Edward Donlon, said.

Justin Wooten, a student at Montclair State University who admitted he punched an officer, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and received community service and probation.

Two other men who plead guilty to assaulting officers — Nkrumah Tinsley of the Bronx and Zachary Miller of Berkeley, Calif. — were offered similar opportunities by prosecutors to replead to a misdemeanor charge after doing community service, their lawyers and prosecutors said.

Ms. Duggan Kramer pointed out that of the 2,644 people arrested during Occupy Wall Street protests, prosecutors only sought convictions in 421 cases; the rest were either dropped or adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. Of the 421 cases, 354 pleaded guilty, 56 were convicted at trial and 11 were acquitted.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Footage from a no knock police raid on the wrong house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44jaZIz6vaY

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Since this seems to be the thread where we post stuff about no-knock raids I figure this belongs here. A bit old, but no-knock raid results in 19 month old baby getting a flash bang in his crib:

quote:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/05/baby-in-coma-after-police-grenade-dropped-in-crib-during-drug-raid/

A Georgia toddler has been put into a medically induced coma after he was badly burned by a police “flash bang” grenade that landed in the crib where the boy was sleeping during a drug raid, his mother told ABC News today.
The raid occurred before dawn Wednesday night in Habersham County while the Phonesavanh family was sleeping.
“It was a big flash, a loud bang, a bunch of yelling, and my son screaming,” the boy’s mom, Alecia Phonesavanh, 27, told ABC News.
“Two of my other girls were next to my husband. There was a member of the SWAT team pinning him down, another man had my son who was screaming and crying,” Phonesavanh said.
“At that time I didn’t see his playpen, but I kept telling him to ‘Please just give him to me,’” Phonesavanh said of 19-month-old son Bounkham. “‘He’s just scared.’”

According to Phonesavanh, authorities reassured her that everything was fine, “‘He’s okay, he’s just fine, there’s nothing wrong with him,’” she recalled through tears.
“They lied to me. They kept telling me my son was okay,” she said. “When I saw his playpen I just about threw up. I got really sick, I was so scared.”
“That picture is enough to traumatize anybody knowing that there was a baby lying there,” Phonesavanh said.
When police raided the house early Wednesday morning, they dropped a “flash bang” which police concede landed and exploded in the child’s portable crib.
“It landed in his playpen and exploded on his pillow right in his face,” Phonesavanh told ABC’s Atlanta affiliate, WSB-TV.

Habersham County Sheriff Joey Terrell told ABC News, “It felt like somebody just hit me in the gut with a sledgehammer when I heard. I got the call at about 2:25 a.m. and I just didn’t sleep no more the rest of the night.”
“That’s pretty much how the rest of the guys on our team felt… it brings tears quite regularly these days, and I’m not ashamed to admit it,” Terrell said.
The sheriff said that the Special Response Team, SRT, did the best they could with the information they were given.
A confidential informant was sent to the residence on Tuesday to make a buy for methamphetamine, Terrell said. At the time of the purchase, there were two Mercedes SUVs parked in the driveway, with a guard standing at the front door and the back door. The informant did not enter the home and made the alleged purchase in the doorway, the sheriff said.
“It was really uncomfortable, and really intimidating. The informant made the purchase and left the residence,” Terrell said. “He didn’t see anything to indicate that there was a child in the house.”
After the buy, the SRT came back with a no-knock warrant to arrest the suspected dealer.
“The door was locked, so they breached it with a ram, inserted a device,” Terrell said. “It was dark, they couldn’t see.”
The SRT is taught to insert the “flash and bang” three to five inches inside the door. “Unfortunately there was a pack and play there,” Terrell said. “It does get hot. It uses gun powder to flash… it’s used as a distraction device,” Terrell said.
An SRT member took over the care of the child as soon as he realized what happened as the child started screaming and yelling, the sheriff said.
A whole side of the baby’s playpen was blown out, the boy’s mom said.
“The pillow where he lay was blown up, char marks all over his pillow and the mattress of the playpen itself,” Phonesavanh said.
The Phonesavanhs have been staying at their relative’s home for two months.
Authorities did not make any arrests, nor did they find anything at the house during the raid. The Phonesavanhs’s nephew, Wanis Thonetheva, 30, was arrested later that day and charged with knowingly and willfully distributing methamphetamine. Thonetheva is being held in Habersham County Detention Center. He has appeared before a judge, but the result of that appearance could not be immediately determined.
According to police, Thonetheva was arrested previously for assaulting an individual, but not convicted.
The nephew had been kicked out of the house and when he started coming and going, Phonesavanh said the family grew worried.
“We were trying to get out as soon as I knew what was going on,… we just wanted to get out,” Phonesavanh said. The family was planning on leaving the home the next morning.
“My son’s old playpen was right outside because we were getting ready to leave, we were going to throw it away… it was very, very visible,” Phonesavanh said.
“They can’t tell me there was no signs of kids,” Phonesavanh said. “My van sits right next to the door that they busted into. My van has family stickers on it, four car seats inside, right next to the door that they kicked in,” Phonesavanh said.
Terrell defended his officers.
“Based on the informant information, prior arrests, and weapons charge, they did everything given the information they had,” Terrell said. “Nobody in their right mind would ever dream of anything like this.”
“We would have picked a different door to go in the house, picked a different scenario on how we approach the residence,” Terrell said.
“Pray for the children, pray for the baby, pray for the family,” Terrell said. “It makes you do some soul-searching, and it makes you question, ‘Are you doing what you’re supposed to be doing?’”
“It’s hard, it’s difficult,” Terrell said.
“It’s going to make us double, triple, and quadruple check to know that there aren’t innocent parties in the house,” Terrell said. “It’s going to make us approach each situation differently.”

Bounkham, named after his father, or “Bou Bou” as his parents call him is at the Grady Memorial Hospital burn unit.
“My baby is nowhere near recovering,” Phonesavanh said.
The parents have yet to leave the hospital.
“By the way the process is going, the reconstructive cosmetic surgery he has to go through, I’m not seeing this ending any time soon,” Phonesavanh said.
“He doesn’t deserve any of this and there’s nothing I can do for him,” the mother said through tears. “I look at him lying in the bed, and I want to trade place with him, I don’t want him to go through this.”
The Phonesavanh family is without insurance and have set up a fund to pay for medical expenses. According to Terrell, the sheriff’s department has already contacted the hospital social worker to request that all hospital bills be forwarded to the county.

Not the first fuckup by this department:

quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...pastor-in-2009/

In September 2009, the young pastor Ayers was ministering to a young woman whom a Georgia drug task force was investigating on drug charges. (She had allegedly sold an undercover officer $50 worth of cocaine.) When task force members saw Ayers alone in the car with the woman, they switched their focus to him. According to Ayers’s lawsuit, the woman was about to be evicted from the motel at which she was staying. Ayers gave her the $23 in his pocket to help cover her rent.

The task force followed Ayers to a convenience store, where he went in to get money from an ATM. When he returned and got into his car they pounced. They pulled up behind him in an unmarked black SUV. Armed agents dressed in street clothes then rushed Ayers’s car. He put his car in reverse and attempted to escape. In the process, he nicked one agent. Another then opened fire, killing him. Ayers told hospital staff was that he thought he was being robbed. His reported last words were, “Who shot me?”

Also an update on the babys condition:
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/06/25/update-on-baby-bou-bou-injured-in-swat-raid/

Oh yeah no drugs found, no arrests made, just one baby injured. Go team america.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That bad story was hosed up, saw that a few weeks ago. gently caress those cops.

So is this the de-facto cops on the beat thread?

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/06/ca_cop_caught_on_tape_pummeling_unarmed_woman_on_freeway/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Cause here's a nice video of an officer 'restraining' a young lady with his hands in a forceful manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6r1R8B5JqY

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

There is a guy over on the other cop thread who has been dating there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the baby got flash banged. What those reasons ate he hasn't shared due to operational security or some such other nonsense.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Well sure, it's the most effective way to distract the parents.

These no-knock raids are so insane, you'd think cities would curb them if only because the lawsuits are costing them millions.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

KomradeX posted:

There is a guy over on the other cop thread who has been dating there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the baby got flash banged. What those reasons ate he hasn't shared due to operational security or some such other nonsense.

"The baby will grow up to be Hitler version two!"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ThirdPartyView posted:

"The baby will grow up to be Hitler version two!"

Actually he advanced the idea that the residents were blocking the door with the toddler's crib on purpose to delay are brave buoys in blue so they could flush all their crack down the toilet before SWAT Team: Justice Rangers could secure the aforementioned dangerous substances.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually he advanced the idea that the residents were blocking the door with the toddler's crib on purpose to delay are brave buoys in blue so they could flush all their crack down the toilet before SWAT Team: Justice Rangers could secure the aforementioned dangerous substances.

I thought they threw the grenade through the window and it landed in the baby's crib.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sir Tonk posted:

Well sure, it's the most effective way to distract the parents.

These no-knock raids are so insane, you'd think cities would curb them if only because the lawsuits are costing them millions.

Apparently Chicago has paid out about a half-billion in the last decade just to settle police brutality and misconduct suits. Doesn't seem like they care.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The cops responsible tried to claim this. It turned out to be complete bullshit, the crib was nowhere near the door. Even if it was true, how the gently caress would that excuse the cops for conducting a SWAT raid on a home with multiple children inside? Looking for a low-level drug suspect who wasn't even there, no less.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So is the idea behind "no knock" raids that increasing the odds of finding contraband before people can get rid of it trumps any consideration of the safety of the people inside the residence?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Zwabu posted:

So is the idea behind "no knock" raids that increasing the odds of finding contraband before people can get rid of it trumps any consideration of the safety of the people inside the residence?

Yes. It's the War on Drugs. It's always the loving War on Drugs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zwabu posted:

That, and it gives the element of surprise in the event that the person inside is potentially armed and dangerous. Thanks to some really lovely WAR ON DRUGS laws and court decisions, cops are allowed to treat drug dealers as armed and dangerous without any actual evidence to support it - the presence of drugs is sometimes enough to assume the presence of guns.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I might not be some fancy big-city lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the statutory punishment for walking on a freeway median is a vicious beating. Also, as soon as a cop sees you walking on a freeway median you are guilty and can be punished on the spot.

The cops in CA should start giving out a punch card where your 10th unjustified beating is free.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I like the subtle implication that the victim is crazy and making a fuss over nothing at the end of the video.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The police official saying "sometimes bad things happen to good people" in response to the flashbang in the baby's crib is chilling. It's pretty much putting their mantra of collateral damage being acceptable in their war on the people they are supposed to be protecting on open unapologetic display and it really should be a wake up call (as if we didn't have enough already) to people who think police are here to protect us.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

The police official saying "sometimes bad things happen to good people" in response to the flashbang in the baby's crib is chilling. It's pretty much putting their mantra of collateral damage being acceptable in their war on the people they are supposed to be protecting on open unapologetic display and it really should be a wake up call (as if we didn't have enough already) to people who think police are here to protect us.

Grit your teeth citizen; there's a price to be paid in the war on small bags of crystalline substance.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Radish posted:

The difference is that even the actual Army fighting a war on hostile soil tries to avoid dynamic entry whenever possible because it's the most dangerous way to enter a space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In the same vein as the Kelly Thomas killing, most of you are probably aware of the death of Eric Garner by chokehold in NY:

http://time.com/3016326/eric-garner-video-police-chokehold-death/

as well as the shooting death of an unarmed teenager in St. Louis:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/police-in-missouri-reportedly-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-tee

• Locked thread