Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missouri Fever
Feb 5, 2009

av by ed
do re mi
fà pí qì
Do you have any recs for fortified wines? I have been enjoying Madeiras lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Kasumeat posted:

There's no such thing as inexpensive icewine, it's very expensive to produce: tiny yields, manual harvesting, incredible risk of crop loss due to late harvest, and only grown in high-labor-cost areas. However, there are plenty of other great (IMO vastly superior) dessert wines out there. I've already written about them in more detail earlier in the thread, but my favorites are the chenin blanc based wines of the Loire valley and the sweeter styles of German Riesling, especially beerenauslese.

For specific ice wine recs, I really like Strewn's Riesling, but I don't know if they export. Tawse is a very good producer, especially their reds.Royal de Maria is good but often overpriced. Chateau des Charmes' Vidal is good. Inniskillin is mediocre and I would recommend other producers if you can find them.

In the vein of ice wine for Californians, Bonny Doon winery is in Santa Cruz, CA, and they make what they call "Vin de Glaciere". This is a process of cryoextraction where the grapes are harvested, partially frozen at the winery, and then pressed. It's been to long since I've tried it to remember whether or not it's any good.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Missouri Fever posted:

I'm a fan of a good tawny port. Hell, I'll take a mediocre tawny port. The nice one with the silk-screen label, looks old-timey, from Portugal. Great stuff. Their ruby is good too. Standard, widely-available, it's great! Same deal with Warre's port.

I've been crushing on Sonoma wines lately but I'm still looking to see if there is a good port out there. Haven't seen anything but I haven't really been looking either.

For a real treat, make smoking bishop when it is nice and cold. Mmmmm.

Not fortified, but Sauternes are my jam. I love that poo poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In some ways, I sort of like a cheap, rough tawny port more than a vintage port.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Missouri Fever posted:

What style(s) do you enjoy? Lighter and drier like sercial? Or richer and sweeter like boal?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Typical question- we've got a stash of whiskey that great-grandpa bought at Duty Free back around 1996 and never drank. Some of the bottles have cork damage, and some look like they have have been opened just once for tasting. Some are definitely still sealed.

How safe are the ones with damaged corks, how can I check, and what do you think about selling them as bottle keeps at my friend's lounge in a "Russian Roulette" kind of way? This is Japanese and whiskey is still very fashionable with old men. I checked Yahoo! Japan auctions to estimate some prices but not everything had a similar listing. My estimated roulette price in USD is listed.

1. Old Parr 750ml Fancy white box ($15)
2. King of Scots 17 years 700ml Fancy red box ($15)
3. CAMUS cognac Grand Master's Collection Michelangelo (book shaped ceramic decanter.) ($15)
4. CAMUS cognac Napoleon Vielle Reserve (book shaped ceramic decanter.) ($10)
5. Royal Salute 21 years ($20)
6. Royal Salute Chivas Brothers 21 years ($20)
7. Remy Martin XO special cognac ($50)
8. Glenfiddich maybe opened once ($10)
9. Dimple cute bottle ($20)
10. Wild Turkey Barrel Proof Bourbon 750ml ($30)
11. Yang Gui Fei shochu 750ml ($10)

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

peanut posted:

Typical question- we've got a stash of whiskey that great-grandpa bought at Duty Free back around 1996 and never drank. Some of the bottles have cork damage, and some look like they have have been opened just once for tasting. Some are definitely still sealed.

How safe are the ones with damaged corks, how can I check, and what do you think about selling them as bottle keeps at my friend's lounge in a "Russian Roulette" kind of way? This is Japanese and whiskey is still very fashionable with old men. I checked Yahoo! Japan auctions to estimate some prices but not everything had a similar listing. My estimated roulette price in USD is listed.

1. Old Parr 750ml Fancy white box ($15)
2. King of Scots 17 years 700ml Fancy red box ($15)
3. CAMUS cognac Grand Master's Collection Michelangelo (book shaped ceramic decanter.) ($15)
4. CAMUS cognac Napoleon Vielle Reserve (book shaped ceramic decanter.) ($10)
5. Royal Salute 21 years ($20)
6. Royal Salute Chivas Brothers 21 years ($20)
7. Remy Martin XO special cognac ($50)
8. Glenfiddich maybe opened once ($10)
9. Dimple cute bottle ($20)
10. Wild Turkey Barrel Proof Bourbon 750ml ($30)
11. Yang Gui Fei shochu 750ml ($10)

You're not going to have anything harmful develop, but if they haven't been stored properly there are all sorts of off flavours that can crop up, from sun exposure, cork disintegration, to oxidation. You can check by tasting them, or sell them sealed with a note about the storage conditions. Also prices are very regional so I can't say for sure, although many of those look off, especially "dimple cute bottle," a steal at only $20.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Given the poor storage conditions, damaged corks and several of them being open (!!!), I think the prices you have set are reasonable. I live in the United States and will buy them and pay for shipping. Let me know which ones are open, damaged, etc.

(Sucker, even with shipping, I'll be making off like a bandit! The CAMUS Michelangelo alone auctions for around $200)

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
Have you seen Somm? http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/somm/

Anyway, I love the thread. I have gotten into wines a hell of a lot more in the last few years, I particularly love most things from the Loire Valley.

A quick question, what regions do you recommend for Gamay?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kanye East posted:

I'm not an expert, but the best examples I've had have all been Cru Beaujolais. I guess it depends what style of wine you're looking for, though.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Kanye East posted:

Have you seen Somm? http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/somm/

Anyway, I love the thread. I have gotten into wines a hell of a lot more in the last few years, I particularly love most things from the Loire Valley.

Somm is actually a documentary of literally everybody in this industry. :)

Cru Beaujolais is the only concentration of good gamay anywhere, although there is the odd producer elsewhere making something good. The cru of Morgon is generally the best, especially from the steep volcanic slopes of the lieu-dit Cote du Py.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
Awesome, thanks Kasumeat and PT6A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Given the poor storage conditions, damaged corks and several of them being open (!!!), I think the prices you have set are reasonable. I live in the United States and will buy them and pay for shipping. Let me know which ones are open, damaged, etc.

(Sucker, even with shipping, I'll be making off like a bandit! The CAMUS Michelangelo alone auctions for around $200)

Really????!!!!!!
I've sent the sealed Wild Turkey off as an experiment to my friend's hostess lounge, and will probably sell the iffy ones to a local Japan goon. Maybe I'll keep a kawaii bottle as a souvenir for display. Thx goons

• Locked thread