Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So you want no on the fly functionality at all then? Basically you just want a DBZ-style scanner that links to wikipedia articles and yelp reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

So you want no on the fly functionality at all then? Basically you just want a DBZ-style scanner that links to wikipedia articles and yelp reviews?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nition posted:

Well no, just keep the same settings once you've set them, and use the on-board camera to see stuff.

But I mean, you want the things to recognise exactly what you're looking at, and know exactly which event it needs to trigger. Even if you could cover every situation you might run into, it would be pretty advanced AI that could say identify that you're looking at a business and go beep boop btw here are your infos. You're not asking for a cut down version, you're asking for a super advanced version that doesn't even need controls. Which would be cool, but y'know

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yeah, I know. The way Google Glass is now makes a lot more sense from a practical perspective. But yes I want the Terminator-style scan-o-vision.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't worry, at some point they'll add eye tracking and be able to tell exactly what you're looking at, and maybe even pop up some options to select by glancing at them.

Of course it's google so they'll be watching for exactly which ads hold your attention or make your eyes widen. Are you wearing the glass, or is the glass wearing you???

N
Oct 4, 2006
This space is for rent - $9.95/month no questions asked.
Pros: People talk to you more often
Cons: They only want to talk about the Glass
Extra-Cons: It's a pain in the rear end to visit any Glass related sites when you are out of the US

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nition posted:

Yeah, I know. The way Google Glass is now makes a lot more sense from a practical perspective. But yes I want the Terminator-style scan-o-vision.

Hopefully they'll also be able to make helpful dialog suggestions for the times when you're having trouble coming up with a good response:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

mobby_6kl posted:

Hopefully they'll also be able to make helpful dialog suggestions for the times when you're having trouble coming up with a good response:

New Glass app L'esprit Du Verre automatically searches a database of the wittiest responses to ensure you come up with the perfect retort, every time!

Awkwardly stumble over the "hilarious" response that you're clearly reading from the screen right in front of you. She'll fall into your arms immediately for sure.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Does Google Goggles work on Glass yet? That's almost a Terminator interface, scanning line and all

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

baka kaba posted:

Does Google Goggles work on Glass yet? That's almost a Terminator interface, scanning line and all

No but Word Lens, the automated realtime translation engine, is pretty cool.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I don't have Glass nor am I really going to get it until the technology matures, but am I the only one annoyed at the dumb backlash against Glass wearers? It basically boils down to "ahurhurhur that looks pretty dumb on your face there" with the occasional ham-fisted concern about privacy. Granted it looks kinda dumb without actual glasses attached to it, but most of the examples of people looking dumb in Google Glass are pasty nerds who aren't even good-looking in the first place, so of course they're going to look bad in it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

... am I the only one annoyed at the dumb backlash against Glass wearers?

This goes into it a little, but there's probably more to the assaults than just "I think that looks dumb on you." I don't think any of the anti-Glass poo poo is really justified (especially assaulting someone for wearing it), but I can see how wearing it around an area of SF that's been affected by gentrification (at least partially driven by Google's employees) would set some people off.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Here's my boss "engaging Douchebag Mode"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have a pair, but rarely use them. They're great when cooking or soldering or something that requires both hands, but when you're out and about you look like the guy that has to wear his bluetooth earpiece everywhere because he's TOTALLY SUPER IMPORTANT, GUYS. They look really stupid on some people, but public opinion of them is the biggest barrier to widespread adoption. The same thing happened when tablets were new. If you pulled one out everyone would stare at you because it's a new thing they're not used to seeing.

Also, I don't feel comfortable wearing $1500 on my head in public.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you want one it looks like you can buy one without an invite again. https://glass.google.com/getglass/shop/glass

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Nition posted:

Well no, just keep the same settings once you've set them, and use the on-board camera to see stuff.

that sounds good

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Got my glass in today. Took me forever to figure it out and get MyGlass set up (it is not intuitive at all how to get to the QR reader, and had some wonky connection issues) but after figuring out how to factory reset it works fine. I wish there was a way to set/adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad though, it "clicks" from a really light tap and I'm the kind of person who can't stand "tap to click" on laptop trackpads.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

baka kaba posted:

But I mean, you want the things to recognise exactly what you're looking at, and know exactly which event it needs to trigger. Even if you could cover every situation you might run into, it would be pretty advanced AI that could say identify that you're looking at a business and go beep boop btw here are your infos. You're not asking for a cut down version, you're asking for a super advanced version that doesn't even need controls. Which would be cool, but y'know

Eh, if you had accurate GPS and a compass and accelerometer, you could pretty easily decide which building someone was looking at.

Products would be easiest handled by a quick glance at the barcode.

sgocity
Dec 4, 2006

Greetings, goons! I'm looking for Google Glass users or people who have interacted with Google Glass users to participate in a short survey as part of my HCI class. Link is below. Thanks in advance!

http://goo.gl/forms/kldruW6kl3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'm on vacation but I'll do it in a few days when I return.

• Locked thread