Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011
It was the stuff in children's cartoons that always got to me.

"Why Charlie Brown Why" Girl with cancer gets made fun of for being bald. Blockheads ensue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoLJvmUTdM&t=75s

The first thing to make me cry as a child, not counting death of pets was the death Dinobot. Out of nowhere from a series where characters regularly get blown into spare parts and are fine the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SepcT0KtUM

And then there was the Sesame Street Episode responsible for the sudden onset of tears for children everywhere. Myself included. The death of Mr. Cooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlj4Tk83xQ

If you watch closely you can see the cast members all on the verge of tears themselves. And with good cause. The actor that played Mr. Cooper had passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you've never seen Monster Squad, think of it as a bargain-bin Goonies--and I mean that with a lot of affection. It's a silly romp where these kids team up to fight Dracula and all his Universal Studios friends: Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, the mummy, and--uh--Creature (the Black Lagoon part was under copyright, I guess). It's full of stupid poo poo with these kids trying to beat Dracula (secret civilian identity: Dr. Acula) with madcap antics and dynamite and stuff. It's everything a 10-year-old could ask for in a movie. The Creature steals a little girl's twinkie. There's a character named Fat Kid. They burn Dracula with a piece of garlic bread. This movie's dumb and knows it. Here's its most famous scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeMe3X884o

Yet halfway through the movie they find a book of magic spells that can banish Dracula and his monsters. The book is in German, so they go see this old German man who lives in their neighborhood. He helps the kids by translating the book and one of them says, "gee mister, you sure do know a lot about monsters!" He replies by looking thoughtful or a second and then says grimly, "yes, I suppose I do know a lot about monsters" while the camera pans down to his arm and reveals a concentration camp identification tattoo, showing that he escaped the Holocaust.

It's so weird because like so many of the scenes mentioned here it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie. I really only mention it because I saw the movie when I was 10 and didn't know what the tattoo meant. I spent the rest of the movie wondering if it meant that he was some kind of wizard and waiting for him to bust out some magic to save the kids.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
That's Hooper, Big Bird. Hooper.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Jack Gladney posted:

If you've never seen Monster Squad, think of it as a bargain-bin Goonies--and I mean that with a lot of affection. It's a silly romp where these kids team up to fight Dracula and all his Universal Studios friends: Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, the mummy, and--uh--Creature (the Black Lagoon part was under copyright, I guess). It's full of stupid poo poo with these kids trying to beat Dracula (secret civilian identity: Dr. Acula) with madcap antics and dynamite and stuff. It's everything a 10-year-old could ask for in a movie. The Creature steals a little girl's twinkie. There's a character named Fat Kid. They burn Dracula with a piece of garlic bread. This movie's dumb and knows it. Here's its most famous scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeMe3X884o

Yet halfway through the movie they find a book of magic spells that can banish Dracula and his monsters. The book is in German, so they go see this old German man who lives in their neighborhood. He helps the kids by translating the book and one of them says, "gee mister, you sure do know a lot about monsters!" He replies by looking thoughtful or a second and then says grimly, "yes, I suppose I do know a lot about monsters" while the camera pans down to his arm and reveals a concentration camp identification tattoo, showing that he escaped the Holocaust.

It's so weird because like so many of the scenes mentioned here it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie. I really only mention it because I saw the movie when I was 10 and didn't know what the tattoo meant. I spent the rest of the movie wondering if it meant that he was some kind of wizard and waiting for him to bust out some magic to save the kids.

How can you mention monster squad and not talk about the little girl trying so hard to save Frankenstein. Still though yeah that scene was awesome and I never noticed it when i was younger.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Until Galaxy Quest I never figured just how weird the concept of fiction would be to describe to a person with no prior experience. It's basically a structured lie that we allow ourselves to be told. If the details of the lie are consistent, we can buy it for a few hours and meet the liar halfway, otherwise the lie is blown and out disbelief shatters. Basically, we like being lied to if we are in on the lie.
Would probably have been a really good moment for Taggart to have help from, say, a classically trained actor who takes his profession seriously and probably could have come up with a more diplomatic explanation.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Darth Freddy posted:

How can you mention monster squad and not talk about the little girl trying so hard to save Frankenstein. Still though yeah that scene was awesome and I never noticed it when i was younger.
Or the life-affirming presence of Wolfman nards.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
About half of Babe belongs in this thread. I mean, kind of. It is obviously intended to be a poignant AND silly movie, but a few scenes and ideas are really good.

For example, the explanation of Rex's racism against sheep is that not only is he a dog and they are sheep, but he blames them for the injury which ruined is career. Also, the scene at the end of Mrs. Hogget crying tears of joy is kind of powerful, because she's not only happy because her husband didn't embarrass them, but she now also knows that he's not going crazy and was right about the pig the whole time. Throughout the whole film she's basically wondering if her husband is going senile, and you can see her relief in that scene.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not a silly movie overall compared to some Disney ones, but in Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph watches the other kid racers demolish Vanellope's homemade racer, and does nothing to stop it...until one of the kids throws her in the mud (which happens to him multiple times a day in his own game), and later when he dreamcrushes her attempt to enter the race, and in desperation finally destroys the racer he made with her to keep her safe and alive. The screams and crying from the kid are pretty bad for a Disney flick. poo poo, just the fact he can't even look at her after her cart is in a hundred pieces is pretty bad. You still admire his very blank face while he smashes the thing though. Wrecking stuff is all he does, he breaks apartments every day, but this cart is personal.

What I loved about that dreamcrushing scene is that based on what King Candy tells him, he believes he's saving her life. If heroes have to make tough choices then this is most heroic thing Ralph does in the entire movie. After spending the first half of the movie acting like a selfish odler brother, he becomes a father figure. Sure, he's bribed by getting his medal back but he's also acting out of what he believes to be Vanellope's best interests.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, Ralph's temper is rarely without cause. In the intro to his game the nicelanders literally bulldoze his home to build their apartment building. He has drat good reasons to be pissed off. Also seeing how Big Gene behaves I'm surprised more characters don't want to throw him out the window. Sounds like fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Road is egregiously bad, but there's one scene in it that captures perfectly what it's like to read McCarthy's prose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaR6XyhnWDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
My favorite scene in Battle Royale is when Sugimura, the gentle, quiet handsome guy goes to find the girl he has a crush on to try and help her, but she ends up shooting him instead. Most of this movie is just kinda trashy splatterhouse stuff but a few of the death scenes are really profound. The scene.

Then, of course, Battle Royale 2 tried to be deep and poignant 50% of the time, but the problem was that nothing in the movie actually made any sense

• Locked thread