Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think we may have hit on something workable! Responses to new stuff in no particular order.

Desty
That's exactly what I was looking for! The stunts do still need some work, but more in the sense of codifying them for FATE rules more clearly. As a starting point for what they do, though, that's a solid improvement.

Cirno
That's excellent.

spectator
Just what I needed for this. I have a much better idea of who Shu Li is now, and overall its a lot more flavorful character. The first nickname I came up with was Dogged Li, but that might be a little too much.

I think I've talked to everyone else about what they've updated, and things have been improving from an already high point. You guys aren't making this easy on me - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

All right, so the time has come! It was really difficult to settle on a group, but those who will be seeking the Mandate of Heaven are...

Vivacious Yue (Ridley)
Beautiful Doctor Zhang (Professor Cirno)
Shu Li (spectator)
Xu Lei (TurninTrix)
Zhu Qiang (Velyoukai)
Centipede Hong (K Prime)

Making choices was incredibly difficult, I wish I could have taken everyone. In any case, the IC thread will be going up tomorrow. In the meantime (and this doesn't need to be done before the game starts, we can work on it throughout), I'd like you to start discussing the Society. You haven't formed it yet, the group will be pulled together as a team early on in the adventure, but it's good to start thinking about it.

• Society Aspects (Custom): The party as a whole will form a wuxia Society to represent your teamwork. It will have a High Concept, a Trouble, and one other Aspect. An individual player can invoke these by spending a Fate Point as normal, as long as one other member of the Society is present in the scene. Players cannot choose to Compel a Society aspect themselves, however - only I can. But when I do, everyone in the Society gets a Fate Point, so you've got that going for you. As the game progresses, the Society will improve - you can potentially add NPCs to it, and earn Stunt slots on it for sweet combos or special styles for the group.

Also, I would like each of you to tell your impressions of the other PCs. You all know of each other as members of Jianghu. I don't need more than a sentence or two - and honestly I would prefer no more than a paragraph at most - for each person.

Lastly, for you six I need you to come up with one more piece of flavor. Who is your rival? This doesn't need to be a villain, but its someone who you haven't come up with yet who you compete against regularly. They should be a member of the Jianghu, another martial artist.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

:siren: IC thread is up! :siren:

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 20, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Zhang's views on his companions!
Vivacious Yue - I would love to get along with such a charming and beautiful girl, but she doesn't seem to enjoy my presence. Perhaps because I know she has a secret? But I do not know what it is! And she should not know that I know...but no bother. My charm will turn her in time, I am sure.
Shu Li - One of the Emperor's dogs. He walks as a man burdened; perhaps this is why he is so inflexible. He has an odd adoration for the outdoors. In other words, he and I have starkly little in common. Come to think of it, his style is also perhaps the clear opposite of mine. I'm sure sifu is laughing right now.
Xu Lei - An honest man who is used to honest work. I knew many such men in the village before I began my travels. I believe he travels to prove himself to his sifu; what a familiar tale! I doubt his sifu is as interesting as mine, but then, that is well suited to a man with such ordinary beginnings. Ordinary beginnings need not beget ordinary people.
Zhu Qiang - We are taught to respect our elders and follow their instructions. We are taught the importance of tradition. My practices spurn much of this tradition. I will respect the man, but he better not try to order me. I have proven too many wise old sages wrong.
Centipede Hong - He is dangerous. He is dangerous and I do not trust him. I fear for the day where I must mend the wounds he makes, for such poisonous claws will not release their grasp willingly.

Rival:
Moon Yoon-Ah

I do not know much about Moon; I've never met him myself, merely come across his "work." He is by all accounts a truly twisted man. Though he dresses as the Daoists, nothing in him is holy or pure. Every time I've come across a village he has stayed at, he has left behind horrors. A terrifying fever. An illness that robs men of their thoughts and makes them into slavering beasts no better then sick dogs. Experiments in ki that left the villages listless and empty inside. Worse, from what others have told me, he takes exceptional pride in his actions, declaring himself a man of knowledge and boasting of his genius, all while wearing the guise of innocence. Disturbingly, the last village I visited that had been "touched" by his actions recognized me before I entered; he apparently knows of me now, yet by what I was told, seems to believe I follow him as a student eager to learn from him.

The only other thing I know is that one other was mentioned as hunting him; an master of fighting, who looks young, but speaks and dresses as a man from a long past era. They did not know his name, but they knew his style, and it is too similar to my own sifu's to discredit.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 18, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vivacious Yue (Ridley)

A charming young lady, but... I sense a sadness in her. Something changed her. Something like what changed me.

Beautiful Doctor Zhang (Professor Cirno)

Needs to spend more time honing his skills, and less time hitting on people. I think he's pissed at me because he thought I was a woman at first.

Shu Li (spectator)

..Man, I hope he doesn't pry too hard into my past.

Xu Lei (TurninTrix)

A good man, to the core. Better than me.

Zhu Qiang (Velyoukai)

Seems like a nice old man.. but something inside him reminds me of myself. I ain't entirely sure if that's good or bad.

Centipede Hong (K Prime)

My illustrious and charming self, of course.

Rival

Fat Dragon

Hong's only rival who isn't a terrifying member of a shadowy cult out to kill him, Fat Dragon's unfortunate nickname comes from his honestly rather scary style. He's not fast. But he's a master of the Stone Dragon, and one of the few around who can simply shrug off Hong's rain of blows. He can't catch Hong worth a drat, but y'know, that's the way it is. Their matches are generally indecisive, mostly because Hong gets bored around hour 2 and calls it a draw.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Beautiful Doctor Zhang Cirno

Ugh, what is with this guy? He tries to be all charming and stuff, but I think it really bugs him that I'm prettier than he is! I wish he'd just...ugh. Ugh!

Shu Li spectator

I'm sure he's very nice, but a lot of the magistrates like him I've met seem to automatically assume that all members of traveling troupes are some kind of criminals, just because we move from place to place. The Waxing Moon Troupe isn't like that! As long as he doesn't treat me or my friends that way, I don't have a problem with him!

Xu Lei TurninTrix

He's nice enough and I get what he's doing, I just really don't go for all that hard work stuff.

Zhu Qiang Velyoukai

What a nice old man. His name is familiar, like someone I heard of when I was...when I was a kid. There's no way that dashing hero is the same as this old guy though, right? I mean, surely Zhu Qiang would have retired or died by now...right?

Centipede Hong K Prime

Yuck. Centipedes. Who'd WANT to be called that? Yuck.

Rival

Scandalous Meiling, who used to be the star dancer of the troupe before I got here, swore some kind of terrible vengeance on me and quit in a huff. I don't know why she thinks she's so great, she wasn't even that good a dancer. Some of the others seem to think I should be careful about her though...

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Vivacious Yue (Ridley) – Is she really as naive as she seems? She's talented, but the company she keeps... For now I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but I can't say the same for her friends.
Beautiful Doctor Zhang (Professor Cirno) – Kind of soft, but he helps people in ways that I can't, so I'll protect him when I can. There isn't much honour in his approach to women, so why do they love him so much? Zhang is a frustration, but one I can weather.
Xu Lei (TurninTrix) – He's a good man, I respect his commitment to justice. A little scattered perhaps, but we have a lot of common ground. He doesn't quite have the discipline one should expect of a professional law-man, but then he isn't in the Bureau. Yet.
Zhu Qiang (Velyoukai) – If I can help him in his quest, I will. Age has granted him a great deal of wisdom, and yet my father told me stories of the Red-Mountain Demon from years ago, so I'll keep an eye on him. I wonder if Qiang knew Chen in his younger days?
Centipede Hong (K Prime) – I need to watch this one, there's something he's keeping hidden. He's smooth, but he moves like a killer. Dammit, Chen could have figured him out in a second...

Rival: Laughing Bird Min
Li isn't entirely a stranger to women, but Min is the only one that has left a lasting impact on him. It's a shame too, because they seem fated to be at odds. Min has a devil-may-care attitude towards life, authority, and responsibility, playing the hero or the thief with equal relish. She might be a revolutionary if she was a little more idealistic, but at the end of the day someone's always going to be in charge and Min's always going to ignore them. She does has a moral center in there somewhere, with a special regard for the downtrodden and overworked, but she plays by her own rules. Always.

It's that heart of gold that keeps Li on the hook. He can't help but admire her spirit at times, even while grinding his teeth over her style. The attraction seems to run both ways, as Min has returned on several occasions to try tempting Li over to the "dark side." She laughs him off and disappears into the night every time he, in turn, tries to pull her to his side, but she hasn't given up trying. Their relationship has waxed and waned at times, but neither seems to be able to give up their lifestyle for the other. It's too much a part of who they are.

The spark between them hasn't stopped Li and Min from butting heads, though. Both are too stubborn for that. If anything, when they come up against each other it's all the more fierce for the underlying passions that get riled up. Li relishes being able to join forces with Min now and then, but knows that more often than not he's going to have to try to stop her. Sometimes he can, and sometimes Min gets the better of him, but so far he's been unable to actually catch her and bring her in. Min is quite clever and knows Li's heart too well to make it easy for him, and though he may not admit it she is a more skilled fighter than he is.

spectator fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 19, 2014

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Vivacious Yue - A sweet girl. She reminds me of the children I seek, and so her smiles are both a balm and a dagger. She will not be kidnapped, I vow it, Bentenrai.

Beautiful Doctor Zhang - A kind heart lies beneath the boy's pretty face and shallow dalliances, yet it is the kindest whose hearts break piece by piece from suffering. I pray for his strength to remain for years to come.

Xu Lei - Hmph. His style demands discipline, but his eyes and spirit ring with laughter. Such reckless, free-spirited youth, and yet, I can only hope to help ensure he survives long enough to realize it.

Shu Li - A commendable passion to the aid of others, yet he bears a burden that threatens to consume him completely. I sense a kindred spirit, but I lament that it is in one so young, before he has even spent his youthful vigor.

Centipede Hong - The weight of silent remorse is heavy, indeed. I know not his past, nor shall it matter; I shall pray for him to find his way and my wrath will crush any who would tear him away from it.

???

I truly have no notion as to the identity of this strange old man. He has hounded me for years, ever since that fateful night spent in the Swamp of Lost Souls. He makes no flashy entrance, nor does he give any declaration of intent or identity. He has simply come upon me at times when the sun has just passed the horizon, fists raised to engage me in combat. We fight and fight, until one of us clearly has the upper hand, and then he leaves, walking away until I can no longer see him.

The last we fought was the first night of my journey to discover the bandits who kidnapped the children. He solidly trounced me, leaving me with shame and a renewed need to revisit my training.

He will not win next time.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

By the way you can start posting to the :siren:IC thread:siren: before you do the impressions/rival!

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
I realized I'd forgotten the sheet after I posted, but totally missed the character name. Oops. Fixed.

So when I spend a Fate point, should I keep track of that on the sheet in the first post by editing it? Same questions for stress/other trackables I suppose. I updated my IC post to reflect spending the point.

I don't have much in mind by way of our to-be Society right now, though it does strike me that we have quite a diverse group. We could end up reflecting that with an aspect like, I dunno... "Ties to Everything", or "Allies Despite Ourselves", or "Dragon with 100 Heads" (more abstract). Just thinkin'.

spectator fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 24, 2014

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
For the purposes of Stop the Fight! objective (or maybe Calm the Crowd if you can justify it), I'm just building up a store of free invokes to help out. Li doesn't have a great Fight score, so someone else is free to tackle the actual roll--go ahead and use those free invokes I've created.

Oh, and I guess someone changed my avatar on my behalf? Well thank you mysterious benefactor! Much better than the neon baby eyesore.

ALSO: I'll be travelling for the next few days (March 5-8), I'll have some internet connection but I just might not be super quick.

spectator fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 5, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hey I never got a rival for Xu Lei!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

xu lei is too honest a man to have rrrrrivalssss

I think at this point, I'm going to need help on this one. :(

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
What about the girl he left behind back home who he completely forgot that he promised to marry when he was a kid without thinking it through or being remotely serious and she took it 100% serious and now is chasing him down

what about that huh

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Or the three older brothers of that girl.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

okay

Chunhua

Chunhua's mother once served under the Imperial Army, and taught her daughter a thing or two about defending herself. As it turned out, the young girl needed her those kung-fu skills less for herself and more for her childhood friend who kept picking fights with bandits who terrorized their village. She kept him from the worst of those beatdowns, always lecturing him hard over that his bravado alone won't protect everyone he cares for.

After all, Xu Lei shouldn't throw himself to his death when certain people care about him a lot lot lot and want him to commit to his promise about marrying her when they're older. After Chunhua saved him from another fight, he once said that if they ever got together, she would probably end up as the provider while he stayed at home taking care of the house and kids. He sort of said that with a laugh and a goofy grin. She didn't see it as a joke.

And now? Now, he's trained in some kung-fu of his own and went on a quest to change the world or something. What was wrong with staying put? They could just stay together and protect the village now. Most importantly, he forgot his promise.

She's gone after him since. To set him straight. And totally get married.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hey Velyoukai, waiting on you for this init block.

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Also, since you've now been brought together as a group, your as yet-unnamed Jianghu society can gain a stunt and will have a group Fate Point available to it. If you have any suggestions we can talk it over in the OOC thread.[/i]
Ideas? We could be the "Constable Li Fan Club". Stunt: The Marvelous Constable Li--spend a fate point to make Li look like the most gloriously manly and heroic individual in the room, probably with shiny teeth. No?

On a slight side note, I've been pretty busy lately because my girlfriend was competing at the Canada East Crossfit Regionals this weekend, but I'm getting myself caught up on everything else now! [/brag]

spectator fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 21, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Just as an FYI, I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow (May 24th) until Wednesday (May 28th). I'll have some internet access but posting will be limited.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'll be posting tomorrow evening regardless, so Professor Cirno and Valyoukai have til then to make their posts! Don't forget you're on the spot to provide a fact, Velyoukai.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Can I spend a Fate Point to say that I totally made some sort of trap in advance? (Mostly so I can roll Crafts and use my Impromptu Diversions stunt. :) )

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sure. Also I realized I forgot an option, you can invoke your horse for a +3, but you lose it if you do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Spectator I'm going to move on tomorrow evening regardless. Please try to post by then.

If you need to take a break or are tied up please let me know.

• Locked thread