Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm a nerd, and like most nerds worth a drat (non-posers), I play D&D with my friends. We recently have decided to try to get people involved remotely via skype and the first dozen or sessions have actually worked out pretty well. With the relative success of this, we wanted to get better infrastructure in the house so we could accommodate more players remotely much better than we currently do.

Right now, our setup is really basic. It's just a laptop with a webcam attached to it and we broadcast through skype. Skype has actually worked out pretty decently as it simplifies a lot and the latency is only slightly more than say, a phone, so we are happy with that. We only have one camera though. So the first part of this is that we want 3 cameras. One facing the players, One facing the DM and one overhead that can see the map. The two seeing people are somewhat unimportant as far as quality of video goes, but the one overhead needs to be able to see the detail of 0.3mm~ lines from say, 4 or 5 feet directly above.

Also, if it's possible, some audio solution that can capture everything well enough to be intelligible.

The other consideration is that we have 5Mbs up worth of bandwidth to deal with, although I don't know how big of a deal that is.

So we need:

- 3 webcams that are viewable, preferably in a DVR-esq style (pick and choose which ones are the 'main' one at any given time.)
- 1 of these webcams needs to be high enough quality to see somewhat fine detail from 4ish feet away
- A mic/set of mics to capture audio.
- Some kind of software solution to make it all work that can be broadcast out to more than 1 person
- 5Mb connection up being the limiting factor.
- Budget is under $300, but I really want to keep it as low as possible without sacrificing quality where needed.

I unfortunately know very little about this market so any recommendations are appreciated. My current thought is to just buy 3 of these as everyone seems to love them and go from there.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Have you thought about just making a skype account for each camera, and having a group call with each account and your long-distance players?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

That's a great idea, is there an easy way to get 3 instances of skype running on 3 webcams attached to one computer?

• Locked thread