Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

HBO should pull their finger out and force Canelo/Cotto/Martinez into a fight with him then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Cotto is probably an easy one, but he isnt beating Martinez. Martinez probably would rather fade into the sunset than deal with GGG. You would probably not want to ruin Canelo if you were hbo. A Cotto upset would be awesome for GGG.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

'DeGale With Premature Stoppage of Gonzales in Four'

this is why british stoppages are so poo poo. it robs everyone. like, even degale who probably would'e gone on and got a legitimate stoppage gets headlines suggesting he was fortunate. does my head in tbh.

bring back standing 8 counts ffs.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Try to think of all the classic fights which never would've happened in a British ring. Pacquiao v Marquez would've been done and dusted in the first round, never to be thought of again.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Froch is going to come out more cautiously and stop Groves later and more convincingly.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

The stoppage was earlier and that last statement is so vague that considering the first fight any TKO/KO that wasn't an outright farce would've been more convincing

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

thehappyprince posted:

one of them will win via knockout by a punch with the left or right hand or by points decision

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Goddamn what an event, fuckin Brits know how to throw on a show. I've fallen in love with Carl all over again, handled himself in the ring and on the mic like a king, what a man.

haha

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Duncan Sperguson posted:

The stoppage was earlier and that last statement is so vague that considering the first fight any TKO/KO that wasn't an outright farce would've been more convincing

Mmmhmm.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Oh my god I wish I could post this but I know better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJc5EPAyesU&t=22s

Dan Rafael's twitter posted:

Richard Schaefer announces he is leaving Golden Boy. #boxing

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/473578072781127682

I wonder if we'll see Canelo and/or Lara at Cotto-Martinez

EDIT: Also the greatest moment on HBO this weekend wasn't The Mountain vs The Viper last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR63wvbcHzw&t=1185s

Stupid sexy Miguel Cotto

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 2, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Predictably, Floyd (and presumably every other Haymon fighter without a GB contract, which is reportedly most of them) has left GB.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I always thought it was pretty stupid for Golden Boy not to have signed any of the Haymon fighters. Oscar left a hole open and got hosed.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

KidDynamite posted:

I always thought it was pretty stupid for Golden Boy not to have signed any of the Haymon fighters. Oscar left a hole open and got hosed.

Oscar was off doing blow and wearing fishnets and I suspect Schaffer saw it as some form of escape hatch if things went to poo poo. Unlike Oscar, Schaffer shows no indication of being an idiot in matters of business.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

so floyd - pac can happen now right guys??

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

thehappyprince posted:

so floyd - pac can happen now right guys??

I know you are kidding but Schaffer and Haymon were always the two biggest opponents within GB to dealing with Arum, so given that Floyd is going to team up with them, the answer is a resounding "nope".

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gregor Samsa posted:

I know you are kidding but Schaffer and Haymon were always the two biggest opponents within GB to dealing with Arum, so given that Floyd is going to team up with them, the answer is a resounding "nope".

Yeah. The only big name fighter that's "free" is Canelo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gregor Samsa posted:

To be fair, the answer was always a resounding "nope" before this happened.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah. The only big name fighter that's "free" is Canelo.

Isn't Abner Mares too? Maybe we can finally get Donaire/Mares?! (now that no one would give a gently caress about it)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just want to see Rigondeaux and Lara fight.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

KidDynamite posted:

I just want to see Rigondeaux and Lara fight.

Bit of a size disadvantage there.

I know you don't mean it like that

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
For what it's worth here's a list (according to Wikipedia) of fighters who have been managed by Al Haymon at some point in time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Haymon posted:

Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Adonis Stevenson
Amir Khan
Peter Quillin
Josesito Lopez
Erislandy Lara
Cristobal Arreola
Devon Alexander
Adrien Broner
Kyrone Davis
Andre Berto
Danny Garcia
Austin Trout
Lamont Peterson
Anthony Peterson
Seth Mitchell
Gary Russell Jr.
Antonio Tarver
Sakio Bika
Vernon Forrest
Lamon Brewster
Jermain Taylor
J'Leon Love
Omar Figueroa
Paul Williams
Leo Santa Cruz
John Molina, Jr.
Deontay Wilder
Lucas Matthysse
Chris Pearson
Errol Spence
Marcos Maidana
Julian Williams
Keith Thurman
Paulie Malignaggi
Robert Guerrero
Shawn Porter
Luis Collazo
Rances Barthelemy

Looking at Golden Boy's current roster the fighters of consequence I'm seeing that aren't both are:

http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/fighters/

-Canelo
-Perro Angulo
-Bernard Hopkins
-Zab Judah
-Abner Mares
-Mauricio Herrera
-Victor Ortiz :laffo:
-Jesus Soto Karass
-Omar Figueroa
-Daniel Ponce de leon

And GGG-Geale is official for 7/26 @ MSG. Summer's looking prety nice

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2014/06/daniel-geale-to-face-gennady-golovkin-on-726-at-msg/

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Woohoo a GGG fight to enjoy!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Schaefer hosed Golden Boy over. It's unbelievable to me that all those guys were promoted under the Golden Boy banner but didn't have contracts signed. How does that even happen?

I would be very surprised if Schaefer didn't have some kind of non-compete clause in his dealings with Golden Boy. I really don't expect him to end up with Mayweather Promotions, or Al Haymon, or whatever is going on over there. Maybe Showtime will hire him???

From what I gather it looks like Haymon will continue to "manage" his signed fighters while Mayweather Promotions will "promote" their fights, keeping Haymon from getting in trouble via the Ali Act which forbids managers from also being promoters. I'm assuming that he'll still be promoting fighters on Showtime.

I suspect that Showtime isn't too happy with the way their investments into boxing have gone. They paid a boatload of money for three Mayweather fights and we've only heard the numbers back from the one fight that broke records. It's been a month since Mayweather-Maidana and we've heard not a thing about that fight's PPV sales. They brought Stevenson over and he brought in less viewers than Keith Thurman. They have maybe three fights left on their schedule.

Canelo-Lara is now a do-or-die fight for Oscar De La Hoya, it's going to be the first GBP vs Haymon fight. Stevenson-Hopkins looks a lot less likely too. It's hard to tell what will happen with GBP's fighters and Haymon's fighters but to be honest I can't imagine this development leading to good things in boxing. We'll get some fights we otherwise wouldn't have gotten but I expect a lot of Haymon's boxers will be stuck waiting to see who will actually promote their next fight and on what network.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm working on a summer thread & a Cotto-Martinez write-up by the way. My p4p list has a lot of revisions to say the least but right now I have it 1) Mayweather 2) Pacquaio and 3) Marquez.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm working on a summer thread & a Cotto-Martinez write-up by the way.

.... I've heard this before.

Jokes man looking forward to it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Schaefer hosed Golden Boy over. It's unbelievable to me that all those guys were promoted under the Golden Boy banner but didn't have contracts signed. How does that even happen?

I would be very surprised if Schaefer didn't have some kind of non-compete clause in his dealings with Golden Boy. I really don't expect him to end up with Mayweather Promotions, or Al Haymon, or whatever is going on over there. Maybe Showtime will hire him???

From what I gather it looks like Haymon will continue to "manage" his signed fighters while Mayweather Promotions will "promote" their fights, keeping Haymon from getting in trouble via the Ali Act which forbids managers from also being promoters. I'm assuming that he'll still be promoting fighters on Showtime.

I suspect that Showtime isn't too happy with the way their investments into boxing have gone. They paid a boatload of money for three Mayweather fights and we've only heard the numbers back from the one fight that broke records. It's been a month since Mayweather-Maidana and we've heard not a thing about that fight's PPV sales. They brought Stevenson over and he brought in less viewers than Keith Thurman. They have maybe three fights left on their schedule.

Canelo-Lara is now a do-or-die fight for Oscar De La Hoya, it's going to be the first GBP vs Haymon fight. Stevenson-Hopkins looks a lot less likely too. It's hard to tell what will happen with GBP's fighters and Haymon's fighters but to be honest I can't imagine this development leading to good things in boxing. We'll get some fights we otherwise wouldn't have gotten but I expect a lot of Haymon's boxers will be stuck waiting to see who will actually promote their next fight and on what network.

If I recall Mayweather Promotions is not licensed in Nevada which means (I believe they can't promote fights other than co promotions as they were doing with Golden Boy). Any sort of non-compete Schaefer may or may not have will be key since, Al Haymon be damned, I can't imagine someone like let's say Leo Santa Cruz can afford both financially and their status in the sport to be locked in Andre Ward lawsuit hell.

I don't much care for Showtime both in their boxing and other programming but it's kind of a shame they went all in on boxing and it blew up in their faces since they actually seem interested on growing the sport. Every fighter they were looking to build into a pay per view headliner (Broner, Garcia, Khan and now Stevenson ) has looked awful.Lara outboxing but not out fighting Canelo would be a total disaster.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Lara seems like a really stupid fight to put Alvarez in. What's happened to James Kirkland? That would be a much more logical fight, network bullshit notwithstanding.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I the only one who seems to remember Angulo looking pretty good against Lara before he had to quit because of the eye?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Am I the only one who seems to remember Angulo looking pretty good against Lara before he had to quit because of the eye?

Yes he definitely did. Which is why it was so odd that he looked like slow horseshit against Canelo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Yes he definitely did. Which is why it was so odd that he looked like slow horseshit against Canelo.

perhaps something to do with the fact that canelo loving waled on him at full force with an astonishing work rate from the first second until the ref mercy stopped it?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

perhaps something to do with the fact that canelo loving waled on him at full force with an astonishing work rate from the first second until the ref mercy stopped it?

Canelo Alvarez and astonishing work rate in the same sentence is something I thought I'd never see.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=canelo-angulo-compubox

You have a low threshold for astonishment

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The most astonishing thing about those stats is that Angulo appeared to be inert dogshit while throwing over 70 punches/round.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm going to get real armchair psychologist here but in the build up to the fight Angulo had to relive a lot painful moments in his life (growing up without a father, being detained in an ICE facility for 7 months) between that and the enormity of his first real big fight it seemed to me like he just froze.

Edit: Also Erik Morales retired. Phone posting so I can't link it myself but make sure to check out his fights against Barrera and Pacquiao if you haven't or its been a while.

http://m.espn.go.com/deportes/nota?storyId=2103110&src=desktop
(link is in Spanish)

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 6, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

Lara seems like a really stupid fight to put Alvarez in. What's happened to James Kirkland? That would be a much more logical fight, network bullshit notwithstanding.

It's a really stupid fight risk-wise since Lara could very well embarrass Canelo like Floyd did, but Lara's been calling Canelo out for years and he's the most deserving guy at the weight. I give a lot of credit to Canelo for even taking the fight; he's definitely shown himself to be a guy who would rather lose against great fighters than collect a pretty record and easy paychecks against bums. As for the fight itself, I personally think Lara is overrated by a lot of hardcore fight fans. I always think back to that awful fight with Martirosyan which went to a draw because Lara didn't bother to do anything besides move backwards and potshot. Angulo was a round or two away from stopping him before his broken orbital ended that one.

In other news today I wrote 1400 words about one fight. Thread should be up later today when I wake up and finish up the images/formatting.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 7, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

Lara seems like a really stupid fight to put Alvarez in.

So was Trout. Canelo is ballsier than his handlers and it seems like he throws his weight around a bit when there's a fight he particularly wants.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

In other news today I wrote 1400 words about one fight. Thread should be up later today when I wake up and finish up the images/formatting.

where is it geez I want it now hurry gosh

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
drat Andy Lee went down quick

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641277 sorry for the delay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Hope I didn't disappoint too much

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641277

• Locked thread