Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Asako Hanjiko

Hanjiko considers for a moment, and then replies, "Maybe that's exactly the reason you should tell them!"

She then narrows her eyes, prodding the crystal with her tongs. "Still, what do we do with this? Might be too dangerous to bring along... without a warded case, and I'm not one for that. I wouldn't want to just leave it be, either." She sighs. "I suppose we'll have to bring it along, but at least make sure it's secured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"Well, we could try to destroy it. I don't know that it'd work, but..."

Hamzah shrugs.

"I've found a lot of things break when I hit them with a very big rock."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
The Soshi Kazuhiro Residence, Upper City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Ikoma Masaru, Kitsuki Tsuriko, Oroko Misaki, Tsuruchi Uesugi]

Oroko Misaki

Misaki hangs back, watching the various courtiers swan about, chatting and drinking. Your innate capacity to sizing up hypothetical opponents (as is the way of the Spider) has become suitably useful in this juncture.

Namely after looking over everyone from your relative secluded place, you find that the majority here are warriors in one capacity or another. Technically all samurai are supposed to be warriors of course, but in this case the majority actually are. You don't get too long to appreciate this fact before a towering sohei approaches you, possibly one of the most conspicuous people present... except you didn't notice him until now. Odd.

He is obviously a member of the Order of the Spider.

Tags: Shiwaza posted:

Spider Clan: Who asks "What is strength?"
The weak! For they cannot know.
That is their weakness.

"An interesting gathering, no?" murmurs Shiwaza, his tag identifying him. His posture is neutral, but he seems ready for anything - though that is more than likely just the result of his monastic training. His face is largely invisible behind his sohei garb, but his grey eyes are very intense and there is a scar across his nose.

Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko spends a few minutes calmly and collectedly gathering information, gazing about indirectly, listening to what is said (and what is meant), taking in the smells (even with your pungent pipe taking that away significantly), and monitoring the mood and the flows of people and how they interact with one another.

There are a substantial number of people here who could be described as warriors, them carrying themselves as such, although few others seem to realise this fact, yet. The presence of guards and robots is higher than normal for this sort of shin-dig, although not to such an extent as to make it obvious. Thinking upon this, you recall being informed that a mysterious agent (using some kind of stealth-enhancing magic or technology) broke into Soshi Kazuhiro's teahouse in order to hack his servers, and acquired information indicating that Soshi Kazuhiro has had some dealing (in the past or present) with Kaiu Satoshi, which inexplicably that person (or persons, if they have allies) is/are interested in.

Suffice it to say given the heightened security and (assuredly) 'coincidental' elevated number of warrior types that have been invited to this party, it would seem that Soshi Kazuhiro is expecting trouble of some kind. Although he himself, and his yojimbo seem fully able to (at least personally) conceal this fact.

You don't get much of a chance to appreciate before you notice a sharp change in the texture of the smoke around you indicating... it mixing with someone else's smoke... this fanfares for the approach of another person!

Tags: Kasuga Goro posted:

Dragon Clan: Horizons are broad.
For some they are broader still.
But at what cost, though?

A weirdly-shaped, almost flute-like pipe-like object, spewing purply smoke is perched at the edge of his mouth, lights dance up and down it occasionally - seemingly with no rhyme or reason. The odour is quite distinct, and quite different to your more traditional scent.

"People don't tend to keep out of the way of events like these... y'know? Surely you want something, am I right? Everyone wants... something." he murmurs, a smirk dancing across his face.

Tsuruchi Uesugi

"When you receive an invitation to such a prestigious event as one being run by Soshi-sama, you feel obliged to accept..." she remarks, taking a sip of her drink. The rest of the party swings back and forth in the background, entirely uncaring or unknowing of your conversation.

Roll Investigation/Perception if you... doubt she is telling the whole truth.

Ikoma Masaru

You keep up the façade and deftly manage to avoid drinking too much too quickly as you move from conversation to conversation, listening here and speaking there. The guests seem suitably enthralled by your (likely fabricated, if not at the least embellished in order to protect any information of any importance) stories, and are more than willing to provide their own. Many have thrilling stories of battles they have fought in or magisterial work they were involved in (especially the more violent type).

Many are oblivious to this, but a few aren't, and there is (almost) palpable tension from these people. Though you can't determine any particulars as to what they're worried about, it seems like something is likely to go down.

You don't get much chance to think about this before a beatiful Scorpion lady with a technologically advanced (yet still traditional) fan dominates your view.

Tags: Soshi Komeko posted:

Lion Clan: A Scorpion conspirator no doubt! DO NOT TRUST HER!
Lion's Shadow:: Caution is advised. Soshi Komeko is a significant threat to Shadow operations on the World of Dreams, her plots are myriad and esoteric, and hard to trace.

"To whom do I owe the honour of meeting at such an esteemed event, hosted by such an esteemed man?" she inquires, her voice silken and controlled.

A Workshop, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Asako Hanjiko, Hamzah ibn Wasim]

Hastily packing up the crystalline 'heart' of the robot, being careful to pad it appropriately and use any safeguards that are at your disposal here and now, you make out into the streets of the Lower City, the eternal 'rain' greeting you once more as you lock up the workshop and head off.

Where do you go? What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

"Quite." Misaki gave the monk a polite bow. She was not especially pious, but she respected the Order. Stalwart men and women, who actually put their martial training to use unlike the layabouts of Shinsei.

"One finds it curious to see so many warriors at a gathering of this sort. One could even suspect it is not a coincidence. Might you have some insight, Brother?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

Hanjiko sighs, and says, "For all the revelation this brings, I'm still not sure what our next steps should be." Opening up her kamiunicator, she puts out a message to the other magistrates: < We have urgent findings when your business is concluded. >

Looking up from the message to Hamzah, she tilts her head ove questioningly. "Should we meet with the others? Or try and follow one of the threads we have? The ronin brotherhood, maybe? They ought to be bothered if they're being targeted..."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

Hamzah strokes his beard thoughtfully.

"A good question...if they are being targeted, they'll be looking for the cause. Angry, dangerous...but the right people will know where to find them. If we can offer them a little of what they want, we can find out what they know. But that would involve deception, so I don't know how well you'd like that. There is something I want to try, though - is there anywhere on this planet that has really big rocks?"

He smiles.

"I wasn't joking when I said I could try destroying it by hitting it with one."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko gives an entirely unfriendly look at the newcomer and "accidentally" blows some of the foul smoke in his direction.

"Kasuga-san. I want what all Kitsuki and what all magistrates want - truth, justice. Gi. Is the illustrious Tortoise offering me such things?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru
Masaru bows deeply, and clumsily, but he's careful not to play it up too much. He's confident she sees through the facade, so best to at least show her some respect.

"Ikoma Masaru. Keeping up the finest traditions of the Lion, of course!" He displays a dish of sake. "And you are... Soshi, I see, but I'm afraid you have the best of me. As, I suspect, is usually the case."

Masaru starts marking out exits, mentally. If Komeko makes a dash for it, he's following. If she's not planning to start something herself, she'll know a safe place to be. Or at the least he can use the confusion to get some information from her. Or a hostage, if it comes to that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"It's okay, that's why you're here! You can do all the deceiving~!", says Hanjiko with her odd cheer. Looking at the box, she adds, "I think Tsuriko might be deeply troubled if we destroy one of our defining pieces of evidence, however." She looks over. "Do you really think that would aid in our investigation, though?", as if clueless as to why Hamzah might ponder such a thing.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
The Soshi Kazuhiro Residence, Upper City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Ikoma Masaru, Kitsuki Tsuriko, Oroko Misaki, Tsuruchi Uesugi]

Oroko Misaki

"Warriors gather for many reasons. It is known by some that our honoured host can provide sources of challenge for a warrior's skill." stated the monk, his voice clear. "However," he begins, his voice lowering "having been to several parties hosted by our host with such intentions, this one has an... impressive array of warriors attending, more so than usual."

Kitsuki Tsuriko

"Ah, the standard Kitsuki response - equating truth and justice. Truths are something I can deal with, although I am sure a most honoured Dragon can appreciate secrecy, given Agasha Kasuga's role in providing... greater understanding of the world. But what kind of truths would interest a most honoured Kitsuki such as yourself? Perhaps you're in the wrong place if you want truths, or depending on your point of view - the best place." mused the Tortoise, who seemingly ignores Tsuriko's look and 'accidental' blowing of smoke, the weird smoke that coils around him mixing oddly with yours and forming prismatic patterns in the air.

Ikoma Masaru

"Oh there is no need to be modest, Ikoma-san. I am sure you have many stories to tell that would impress anyone here." remarked Komeko, her expression somewhat exaggerating what she says, as she flicks her fan back and forth with practised ease.

Everyone Present

Your various communication devices receive a message, although undoubtedly you have muted them from doing it audibly at such an event - nonetheless you are made aware.

Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Asako Hanjiko, Hamzah ibn Wasim]

The 'rain' continues to fall as you discuss things quietly, waiting for a possible response to your missive. The background noise in the Lower City remains at its usual pace.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

At the mention of challenges, Misaki's lips quirked up into a faint half-smile. "One looks forward to seeing what the evening holds, in that case."

She continued with polite conversation, avoiding any controversial topics as best she could. While not remotely the most adroit speaker, she knew well enough to watch her tongue in public places like this. After a few moments, her mobile softly vibrated to alert her of an incoming message.

"My apologies, Shiwaza-sensei. I've received a notice. A Magistrate's work is never done." Giving the man a respectful bow, she stepped away. With a deft flick of her wrist, she withdrew her fan and mobile with one hand, surreptitiously checking the device behind the guise of cooling herself off.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"Oh, I was more concerned with it being, you know, dangerous. Don't like to keep corruption around like that, but...well, why don't we get someone that's not either of us to hold onto it?" Hamzah likes this one, he doesn't want her to get corrupted. He shrugs. "Still, I leave these decisions up to you honored samurai. After all, I am merely your humble servant."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"Mmm, shouldn't it be safe as long as it's contained so? Wouldn't that be the point of using crystal?", Hanjiko replies plainly, and says more seriously. "I have a certain... awareness the others will not have. Training to sense the void allows me to sense what is, but very rarely, we are called upon to sense what is not."

Reaching for her pocket scribe, though, she starts to poke at it beneath her borrowed umbrella, querying a request with the local magistrate databases to pick out crimes involving men using two tantos, as well as known information on the ronin brotherhood in question.

Spending a Void Point and rolling Investigation to try and get a start on where to look up the brotherhood of our murder victim - 29.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 8, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Stories? Oh, yes, a great number! Once, I was trapped on a ship that was boarded while orbiting the moon of..."

Masaru weaves a tale of great bravery, daring rescues, and valiant battle. He pushes a dish of sake toward Komeko. He's been careful, but he's still not as sober as he'd like to be. Evening the odds should help.

Courtier 7k4 to put Komeko in a position where she can't refuse the drink. 27 (8 , 7, 6, 6, 4, 3, 1)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

Hamzah shrugs. "I do not understand the ways of the Nothing. I could not guess. If you say it is safe, I will trust you."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

"Truth is Justice, Kasuga-san. Bushido speaks clearly on that matter. Gi does not separate the two. Truth serves the society; secrecy serves only the individual. I ask again; is the Tortoise offering me such?"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Oroko Misaki

As you get away from the Spider monk, you get a chance to read the message that you have received. It's.... strange. Heavily garbled.

Message posted:

Ş͈̠̤i̥͎͢x̪̺̲͝ ̢̯̭̪̤͎͢͞ś̞̜̖͞o̶̡͉̞̝͔͇̯̙̺v͇̻̘e̹̩̻̹̥͕͠r̫͖̱̩̪͟͞e̴̟͈͓͢í̡̢̲̬͇g҉͔̰̪͇͚̫̞̭͡n̛̖͜s͏̳̞̟̗͟ͅ ̫̦̪̫̺̳̗̀͝͠s̘̬͕̦͚͟͠ͅt̗̜͈̥̝͍͓̪͢e̟̝̬p̴͔̺ ̢̥̞̱̻̬͍̗͖͟͝c̴̶̛͓̙̣͕͔l̹͙̠͇o̷̙̟̞s̡̢̱̦̜̹e̗͓͖̫̖͝ṟ̯̜̮̜̦̥͡ ̦̲̠̪̖̮t̶̺̯͚̬̰̥̙o̴҉̻̘̝̞͍ ̤̫̜̩̗͔t͙̙̱͜͝r̯͔̪̦̬͓͖u̷̠͈̖͢e̡̗̤̖̲̟̙̥̮͢ ̛̬̼͔͔͖͇̥̕m̶͙̣e̠ạ̯̯̻̝͎͕̟͞ņ̥̻̼͕̳̻į̯̹̪̬̦͇͎̗͟͡n̷̳̦̕ģ̠̳̼̠͡.̠͕̳͚͉̣
̧̥͉̱̠̤̻͚̼͡͝B̲̞̪̯̰̮̳̭͡u̧̥̬̥̠̫t̲͇́ ̗̝̣̹̗̣͚̕͟t͖̕͟h̛͚̻̗̹͞e̳̤͚̙͓̱̤̮̜͟͟͢i̢̮̭͈͙͠r̼͚̼̝̘̕͠ ͍̞͟p̖̱̭̻̖̳͠á̸̶͚̣͕̰̼̲̜̙͕ṱ̻͖̀̕ͅh̪͚̲̯̥͎̼̳̼ ̶̶̡̠̳̲͇̭̱l̼͚͖̦͉̩̺̀̕ͅe̡̗̪̗͎̭͞a͚̗̥͓̗͈͜͞ͅd̶̢̮̙̳͓͢ṣ̘̘̙̜̦̼ ̛̗͖͚̮͉ț̶̘͙̻̩͉ͅh͉̦̤̭̗e̵̢̛͙̳m̼̘͔̱̮̻̙͈ ̴̳̭̘͔̞͕͡͞ͅṯ̸̭͈͈̥͚̰̀h̢̭̼̺̀̕r͓̦̤͚͔͖̞̀o̸̻̝͍̜̦ṷ̷͎͙͕͙̦̜̖̙͡͝g̵̠̀h̙̺̝͝ ̴̡͇͚̺̳̪̞̰f̗̣̪͉̙͓͙a̸̶̜͕̼͇͇̞̙͍͕͝l̵̲̲̫͎͔̳̩̩s̷͔̞̪̘͔̖͇i̧̨͎̥͍̘͚̲̤t̠̹̫͟y̶̺̖͞.҉̫̣
̶̡̮͉͎̻̦͍ͅB̳̥̤̮͚̦̖̟́e̜͉͎͉̪͖t̛ͅw͜͢҉͓i͍͇x̡͇̯̭̦͘͝t̬͟ ̷͈͖͘t̲͖͇̰͜h̷̢̛̼̙̼é̜̤̥̞̗̗̺͍͙m͉̘̗̳͓ ̖̩̣̲s̶̞͙͍͇̯̳̣͜t̲̳̻̥͍̤̟̞à̳̼̫̻͡n͖̩̺̝̕d̮̪͎̪͎s̢̬̳͞ ͔̩̠͖̤͖͎͉̲t̨͏̡̦̖̪͇̣͙͖h̟͍̥͘͝e̫̭̣̺̭̜̭̱̥͟͝ ̨̰̞͍̜̀v҉̧̬͙̥é͙̹̥̤̣̺̦͎i͔͚l̪̣͚͉͓̻͔̩͢ ̨̜̼̪̜̮̕ó̡̰̻̥f͉́ ̨̨͏̼̯̳̭d͏̷͖̣̝͔̭̞̖e̺̹̻̗͚a͏̫̥t̝̠̟̻͘h̴̺̗̠̮̙̭͕̘,̶͝͏̼͔̳̫̳̱͔ͅ ̛̲̦̦̩̗̀b̷̺̭͔̮̼̝͟e̘̟̣͕̝͓̞̗̠͠ć̰k̜̣̝͖̬̼͖͉͓o̶̗͎̩̥̫͓n̻i̴̧҉̖̬̫n҉̗̝̗͈͇̣͇g̢̦͉̣̬͙̭͖̯͠.͏̰̝͖̺̝͍͇̤̣̀
͉̣̖͕̰̱Á̙͓͝ ̙̹̠̘ͅt̠̳́h̳͓̻̕͠o̬̞̜̻͉͚̗͠u͔͡ş̢͓̥̖͡a̴̩͉̠͝n̨͚͎̳͈̬̫d̵̛̠͍̖̳̜̣͟ ̟͔͚̀͘͡t̷̮̼̪̩̝̻̫͉e͙͓̩̼͠a͢͏̙̻͙̤ͅr̝ͅͅs͈̱͚̹̦͇͝ ̢̼̞̱̪̬͚͍͈̠f̴̢̳̲̻a̵̰̝̬̭̙̞l̛̺͡l̺̰̪̖͓͚͙ͅ ̭̩͍̗̞͚f͏̡̗͚͟o͈͖͎̪̹̥̪̤ͅr͎͎͓̭͡ ̠͓͖w̸̵̰̰͔̩̞̮͓͞h͖͎͍a͏̡̖̫͖̺̣ț͍ ̢̳͍͢͝s͏͎̕h̩̺̰͙̼͠ͅa̸̟̻̜̭̜̲̬̥̠̕͝l͙̲̥̮̻͍͖͝ḷ̴̢͉ ̵̥̗̖̭͞b̗̭̖̙ͅͅę̝̀g̡͙̩͙͞i̻̲̮͉͎͎̠͘͟n̢̲̻͜.̳̼̱ ̻͟Ó̷̘͇͓͚̪̣͞ŕ̻̘͙̙̤͠ ̢҉̥͕e̡̠̫̝͇͎̬̠̝͡n̜̪̦͕ͅd̷̗̝.͚̪̬͔͚͓̻̩

The sender is unknown.

Kitsuki Tsuriko

"Perhaps secrecy does further the individual and truth serves society. This would explain why the latter can be... so valuable, to many - one way or another. With that in mind, I am sure we can come to some sort of arrangement. Now if we must commit business at such an... esteemed event, we may as well get it out of the way." replied Goro, his face shifting to a more serious expression as the tone of the conversation becomes more focused.

Ikoma Masaru

Komeko is distracted by your impressive tales, for the moment. Wrapped up in these tales of excitement and suchlike, she absent-mindedly sips the sake offered to her. She still however flicks her fan back and forth keenly, but you think it's having an effect, at least.

"I see that the Ikoma traditions are far from dead. Although perhaps I am not quite as, experienced as you are in the art of the raconteur, I believe I too have a story to tell... if you would wish to hear it?" she begins, her face reacting perfectly as appropriate with such a proposition.

Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Asako Hanjiko, Hamzah ibn Wasim]

Investigating via the various methods that are afforded to you at the moment, you begin a search for the Tanken. Although a scan based on standard information networks doesn't reveal much, especially since this is the Lower City and therefore scrutiny is... limited, even for this day and age. However, by correlating reported incidents based on criteria that you deem appropriate for the Tanken to be involved in some fashion, and extrapolating based on the local maps you glean some interesting information.

Namely Tanken activity (as you judge it so) is largely centred around a region of the south-west quadrant of the Lower City. If they are head-quartered anywhere, then it'd be somewhere around there.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko
Spells / Void Remaining: 3 Air Spells, 1 Earth Spell, 1 Fire Spell, 2 Water Spells, 2 Void Spells, 0 Void Points.

"A moment.", Asako Hanijko says before pulling out a small roll and whispering words. Her eyes shine subtly of stars, and she snaps it shut. "Perhaps not entirely safe.", she corrects. "But we are magistrates, and asked to deal with many dangerous things." She holds up the pocket scribe. "We could seek out the others, or perhaps try and find our victim's brethren in the meantime... just to locate them while the others are busy." It may seem a bit optimistic of her, however, to presume things would go that smoothly.

Rolling Drawing the Void with 3 raises (one of which is free) for an extra Void point, for a TN of 15, and rolling a 23. That's enough to regain 3 Void Points, but I miscounted and overspent Void earlier, so I'll subtract that for a total of 2 Void Points and 1 Void Spell left afterwards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

"Truth cannot be sold, Tortoise-san. It is eternal. The foundation of all Rokugani society. A truth told to none but the highest bidder - a truth with no evidence behind it - is not a truth; it is a secret. It is unsurprising to find peddlers of such on this world. The police arrest a man for murder; this is a truth. Two men know one of them is a killer, and neither will speak of it; this is a secret. Is the Tortoise offering truth? Or a secret?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

Misaki frowned as she took in the message. A threat? A warning? Or simply nonsense? Whatever the meaning, she would have to keep alert. That someone was able to send a message to her mobile with no identification was concerning; it was an unlisted number, and any message not backed by proper registration or clearance should have been rerouted to one of her drop boxes.

Well, nothing to be done about it for now. Tucking the device away, she made her way casually in Tsuriko-san's direction.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"I think we can go out looking for them...but you will want to look different. I, after all, am clearly a rogue and up to no good - I am a gaijin, yes? But you...no, you are too much the samurai. What would you like to look like? And...hm, your voice may need changing as well, I think..."

He strokes his beard for a moment.

"...yes, I'll change outfits and then you can tell me what you want to appear as. And then, well, I will show you the power of a sahir. Then, we go find our victim's friends and learn about them, and they do not know that you or I are investigators."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko
Spells / Void Remaining: 3 Air Spells, 1 Earth Spell, 1 Fire Spell, 2 Water Spells, 1 Void Spell, 2 Void Points.

Blinking with a touch of surprise, Hanjiko looks after Hamzah. "I shouldn't need much more than a change of kimono to act as a bodyguard of yours.", she offers. "I don't know how I'd go about changing my voice, but I don't think I'm so well known..." Touching her sword, she clarifies, "Most of my time as a Emerald Magistrate has been spent in tax collection, not in chasing murderers. A rough kimono and a straw hat should do, shouldn't it?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

Hamzah nods. "Very well...let me see what I can do. Voice changing would be...more difficult. But you're right, we won't need it."

After ducking into a side room and emerging in the more worn outfit he wore as a smuggler, Hamzah raises his hands. His eyes unfocus as he watches something only he can see, muttering under his breath in the language of Medinaat al-Salaam. Most of it is calculations or strange references to geometric figures as he moves his hands around, manipulating something invisible. The lines must be bent, the seal reconfigured. At last, he looks up, pointing one hand at Hanjiko.

[14:38] <+Morphball> morsrattus: 6 = 3k2(3,1,3) vs TN 15
Fortunately, no penalties for failing, just more time.

Nothing happens. Hamzah sighs. "Hold on a moment. I miscalculated the values." Again he unfocuses, muttering under his breath.

Again he points.

[14:41] <+Morphball> morsrattus: 19 = 3k2(5,1,[10,4]) vs TN 15

Hanjiko is transformed now. She is wearing a straw hat and a plainer, simpler kimono, with a more worn (but more used) sword. Hamzah has also added a few noticeable scars to her face and lightened her hair. Nothing has truly changed, of course - all illusion. He smiles proudly. "And that, you see, is the power of Hakhim's Seal. What do you think?"

One more Water spell slot left for the day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"I would listen happily! Only the Scorpion can embellish a tale quite like the Ikoma, so I have no doubt this will be fascinating."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Oroko Misaki

Shrugging off the peculiar message, look around to where you might find Tsuriko, which isn't too hard - given she seems to have deployed her loathsome pipe once more, the cloud of smoke is telling. You head over to Tsuriko, who is currently conversing with a stranger who has a stranger pipe, the two vast clouds of lung-staining smoke are meeting in the middle and it's actually somewhat hard to make them out in there.

What do you do?

Kitsuki Tsuriko

"Perhaps I misspoke." concludes Goro "Perhaps there is no business to be concluded here after all." he says, taking a resigned puff from his strange pipe-like device, before he briefly checks a comm device.
It looks like Goro is making ready to bid you good day, unless you do something (or roll something) to sway him.

Ikoma Masaru

"Well then. This is a tale not known to many, though perhaps many can learn from it." she says, having seemingly loosened up somewhat with aid of the alcohol "There once was a mighty and brave warrior, who although not entirely untainted by the machinations of politics and subterfuge - was still honourable and did his duty. However, all of his bravery and guile were for naught because he made the mistake of associating with a person that someone far more influential wanted dead. So he met many trials and tribulations under various guises, and then when he thought he had succeeded... he died. A dishonourable, unknown death, and no-one would mourn even if they knew he was dead. Consider that story, if you will. But alas, I must be going - I have many more people to meet and as much as I love to meet storytellers and entertainers of all stripes, they are not the only people here." she recounts, fluidly and carefully, almost (but not quite) laughing at the punchline, her composure being recovered almost entirely by the time she ends her story.

With this she bows appropriately, and promptly leaves before giving you the opportunity to respond, her fan waving all the while as she disappears into the crowds, leaving you alone.

What do you do?

With your preparations complete (or thereabouts), you now gird yourselves for the task ahead.

What do you do?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko
Spells / Void Remaining: 3 Air Spells, 1 Earth Spell, 1 Fire Spell, 2 Water Spells, 1 Void Spell, 2 Void Points.

"Not kami... what is this?", Hanjiko says, puzzled, and then tugs at her kimono for a moment as if testing it. More seriously, she says, "I'll have to hear more about this Hakhim, but for now-" She raises her hand, calling for a taxi. "Let's start our search. You lead, though-" She smiles, shrugging. "- I am but a simple yojimbo." A moment as she adjusts her sword into more of a readied position, she lets her hand rest on her pommel.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

Misaki stopped a polite distance away from the Dragon and the Tortoise, pretending she could not overhear what they were discussing. She felt it would be prudent to inform the Kitsuki of the odd message, but it was hardly urgent enough to warrant being so rude as to step into a conversation she was not a part of. As she waited, she bid those that passed a pleasant evening and generally did her best to be entirely forgettable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Threats?" Masaru mumbles. "And so early in the evening, too..."

Now is the perfect time to sneak away from the party, Masaru thinks. Anyone watching the conversation who seems him leave will assume he has arranged to meet Komeko somewhere discreet. He'd told the others to ensure they were seen at the party. Well... Masaru had been seen enough.

Masaru sneaks off to go poke his nose where it doesn't belong. Perhaps there are more interesting conversations happening away from the party.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"Sorcery. I'll be happy to explain it later, if you'll do the same for me with your kami-magic." Hamzah grins. "But now, it is time to go see our friends the tattoo artists. We'll need honeyed words, and...ah, our companions will reimburse us, yes? We may have to bribe some people."

He turns, setting out. "Well, if they won't then we'll cross that storm later, I suppose. Is that a phrase here? In any case...your job will be, beyond protecting me, to watch them for recognition. They'll be focusing on me, after all."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"We don't need to bribe anyone.", Hanjiko offers. "It's simply proper to reward those who do work on our behalf appropriately." She reaches out to open the taxi door, ushering Hamzah in first. After all, she is the bodyguard now, leading to a subtle reverse of the social order, however false it may be.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko silently watches the Tortoise leave and returns to her smoking.

I'm an honorable cop. Some random criminal sliding up and telling me he has juicy information to sell, really, just trust me, isn't really going to get her going. Especially when I'm so Contrary!

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

As the Tortoise walked away, Misaki followed him with her eyes. It would be so easy to simply reach out and snap his neck like a twig. She wondered if he would fall still immediately or perhaps flop around a bit like a beached koi?

She blinked and dismissed the notion, bowing to her fellow magistrate. "Tsuriko-san. One hopes you are enjoying the festivities?"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Oroko Misaki & Kitsuki Tsuriko

With the Tortoise gone you are left in peace, for now. Though you get the feeling that such placidness is not an eternal aspect.

Ikoma Masaru

Scanning the party, you come upon the periphery of several conversations, however due to busy nature of the party you will have to get close to (and thus only be able to pay attention to) a single one at a time. Of the conversations that seem interesting the following seem to be happening:
- A towering Spider monk is loudly debating some sort of multi-aspected martial/monastic philosophy with some kind of brotherhood monastic, an odd sight if there ever was one.
- A Badger samurai and an Ox samurai are having a drinking contest off to the side, it's uncertain to see who is winning.
- In one room a tea ceremony is about to be conducted, lead by a Scorpion, there are several others on the periphery who look uncertain if they are going to participate or merely observe.
- A Tortoise, seemingly clad in mystifying prismatic vapours is currently chatting with a pair of ronin, but it doesn't look like he is paying them much attention, and seems distracted.

What do you do?

The Street of the Grinning Fortune, South West Quadrant, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Asako Hanjiko, Hamzah ibn Wasim]

The taxi drops you off near thereabouts the middle of the area you suspect Tanken activity, a rather busy street - even at this time of night. Flashing lights abound, and there are not one but two clubs present, their music audible even from out here - the everpresent rain hardly heard at all, the street sheltered by a large canopy covering it. This place is substantially more populated than the area of the Lower City that you were lurking around before, various peoples - commoners of various shades, as well as Ronin can be seen thronging about, many moving between the various food vendors that are found here.

Other shops also abound, but they are not quite as visible!

What do you do?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

Stepping out of the cab, Hanjiko has a swift look around as Hamzah gets out. Playing the part at least has some practical benefits, after all, and she then glances to him as he steps out. "Well, you're leading on this one.", she says plainly, rubbing her false scar for a moment. "Once we have a lead, I can call on the kami's aid to help our investigation, but... until then, I am but a simple bodyguard, yes?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

"As much as one can. I am a magistrate, not any given courtier. A Tortoise tried to sell me something, what a surprise. Many warriors about; the Scorpion fear something. Has your time tonight been enjoyable, Oroko-san?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

'Enjoyable' was a strong word to use. She was first and foremost a warrior. These courtly functions generally served only to confuse her and sap her attention.

"It has been interesting. Much is going on in the wings that we are not meant to see, I think. I am sending you a message I just received. One is hardly certain what to make of it, but I doubt it portends anything good if it is indeed anything but the ravings of a sad, confused individual."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

The most important thing right now is to continue to press the Scorpion... even drunk, Masaru can handle tea.

Approaching the tea ceremony. OOC I'm not sure exactly what the etiquette is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

Sorry for the delays!

Hamzah grins, looking over the street. Commoners and ronin - perfect. It's just like being back in the game! Except on the other side, as it were. He reaches into his pocket, pulling out a small credit voucher - a valuable one. For half a koku, any commoner should be happy to tell him anything. The trick is finding the right one. But a beggar - a clever-looking beggar - will see everything and know everyone. Hamzah approaches one, card in hand. "Exactly. Now, let's get some directions..."

Once he identifies a proper beggar, he will pat the man's shoulder, card palmed in hand. "Excuse me - if you could direct me to a master tattoo artist. I only want the best, you understand."

Bribery is such an ugly word.

• Locked thread