Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Session 4 ends here...

...and with that, the story as well. Hell of a ride, eh? --MC

---

Sorry to cut you off, LemonCurdistan and Bear Enthusiast, but I think it's time. Thanks to everyone, and we'll do a little bit of epilogue for the characters and debrief for the players, starting tomorrow.

Seriously, though, thank you all so much for a hell of a game. I'm going to call this one the rarest of things - a completed PbP. See you tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Epilogue

Take a step back, let's look at the big picture.

Sansa Merci may have won the war, but - is she going to keep the hold together? If not, who takes over - Bran and Karlie, Bagel? Or does it collapse anyway? Maybe Ebbs?

Ebbs, that's a serious question. An operator that hasn't operated much. Will he stick at the hold, will he roam? Remember, he still owes a big-rear end favor. Maybe he heads back home for the first time all game.

Paris has some choices to make. To the W&Wers, it's still not clear where his loyalties lie, if any. But hey! He's Paris. Who's going to stop him. Seems unlikely that he'll settle anywhere, but you never know.

Looks like Sethro and Bean have a hell of a future ahead of them. It's possible that they could become the most powerful people on the Island, but who knows if that suits them at all. Plenty to learn and explore without ever leaving the Station, but Jackson's on his way.

Jackson-52 definitely has an unfolding mystery. He'll probably find quite a bit of information, but also under the control of someone who may not understand just what's really going on...

There's lots of potential threads and things that could happen, but what does? Some people have bigger loose ends than others, but here's your chance to wrap them up or leave them a mystery. It's your chance to have the final word.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The W&W's are trying something new these days.

Bagel made it through the night, with unexpected help from a certain shirtless rear end in a top hat with a shotgun. When the Queen left, she knew what had to be done.

She found Karlie and Bran, got them on board. People were looking to the three of them anyway. Expecting a fight. There can only be one Queen.

Instead, they got something Karlie read about once, in an old book. A Triumvirate. Technically, it don't work that way, as Karlie and Bran only hold one voice between the two of them (because they'd always vote the same anyway), but it works. Bagel knows enough about everybody and war, Karlie knows the stuff she don't, and Bran kills people.

What? He wasn't going to change for anything.

Maybe it'll collapse. Maybe it won't. But so far, it's workin' ok.

Ebbs has been seen around a fair bit too. No official position, mind. But he has a lot of pull. He's got Sansa's shadow over him, same as the other three. What he does with it is up to him.

As for our Queen... Well.

Those drugs went somewhere. And it weren't in Chloe's pockets, her being dead, or Zeb's, him being an rear end in a top hat.

In the market, in the front, right up by where Sally's 'office' is, there's a new little tent. The lady in it don't suffer violence in her little bit of market, but she'll fix you up if you get hurt, or let you down easy if you can't be fixed. If she knows you, she might even only ask for a favor, instead of payment up front. Her head is shaved, now, and her face is kept clean. The scars healed up funny, so she's hard to recognize now, unless you knew her pretty close. The accent is gone- did she drop it? Maybe. Maybe she just pulled something older up instead.

The old DZA asked about where she got it from, once.

I was something else before this, said Merci.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Ebbs

He goes home.

It seems like its been forever since he's been there. He thought back to when he left his little cave by the shore. Back then he had his health. Now he had only one leg and a wound that didn't seem to go away. He saw a lot of people die. And there were other things. He saw things that were either a delusion or something no living man should see. Now that Puck was dead and a kind of peace came to the island, Ebbs could find some peace. However he didn't know if he could ever find peace. Perhaps the only peace for him was death. That was if there was peace after death. What he saw made him wonder if he could ever be at peace.

Ebbs struggle walking over the rocks that stood between him and his home. Before he walked by without a care, but now the path became an obstacle course. He didn't let the difficulty stop him. At this point, he was so close to home that he wouldn't be deterred. Carefully picking his every step, he managed to find his way. His eyes were cast down to focus on the rocks. One bad step and he'd take a fall. Maybe the last fall of his life. He wasn't going to let that happen. Seeing the shore up ahead brightened his spirits. He would soon be home. He hurried up to get by the rocks.

Just as he got off the rocks, he looked up towards where his cave lay. He saw something that didn't belong. Smoke came out of the rough chimney built of stones. Someone was there. After all the trouble he endured, someone decided to move into his home. He grabbed his pistol. The intruder picked the wrong home to invade. The bastard that invaded his home wasn't going to be walking back out. They were gonna be feeding the fishes soon enough. Ebbs began to walk faster. The rage inside of him built up.

When he came to the mouth of his cave, he paused. Moving up next to the entrance, he brought up his gun and readied himself to deal with the intruder. He listened to hear anything from the cave. The only thing he could hear was the fire. He didn't hear the intruder move at all. He doubted the intruder heard him come up. Not able to wait any longer, he turned the corner and pointed his gun in the direction of the fire. He dropped his gun.

"Dahlia?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

God. drat. Why is this bed so soft? How do you even get a bed like this on this island? This is like, a proper bed. A bed-rear end bed. Keeping it dry probably helps, with how much it loving rains here. I don't think I've ever seen such a complete roof before. What's gonna break it, nothing ever happens here in the North Shore. Nobody shoots each other over dumb poo poo, fights are usually over small stuff and are usually pretty minor at best, Bossman Traylor keeps the peace better than anyone I've seen on this rock and he does it single-handed. I mean a grand total of like 15 people live here, you can't even call that a village. That's like, a hamlet. I think Algonquin called it that once. poo poo, my mind is really starting to wander the more I stay here.

It's boring as hell.

Maybe I'm starting to like boring.

"Hey, Junko, let me help with dinner. I gotta learn sometime."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson-52

Maria-xt survived, though she ended up pretty pissed off at the shiny new leg she got. She didn't know anything about her origins, but the autodoc figured some things out - turns out there was a pre-existing clone population on the Island way before Stasis' activation was ever a thing, and they somehow managed to breed true. How did it all tie in with Stasis and Mathers-13's crusade? No idea - that ended up a mystery for another day.

The meet with Sethro went relatively well; which is to say, no one got shot, and an understanding - of sorts - was reached. In exchange for helping Sethro and Bean understand exactly what the Antenna was and for promising to help them access its full potential to help them boost their signal range, Jackson-52 got their help broadcasting Mathers-13's description to the entire Island.

Unfortunately, that did more harm than good. Mathers-13 wasn't missing - she'd just gone to work building her own powerbase near Grey Ferry, sidling up to the heads of the local Families and trading them her know-how in exchange for men of her own to command. Eventually, in the wake of Sethro's broadcast, she would convince King Bonner to wage war on the Midlanders in the name of his Stone Gods - seems she wasn't too keen to go back to the life of a simple, disposable clone soldier.

With no further leads to go on, Jackson-52 settled in to a simple routine: do jobs with Gyger (now operating freelance), work with Sethro, try to use as little of Stasis' supplies as possible, learn about the Island and its inhabitants, and wait. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be too long until answers - and another war - would come to him.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

"Uhh, hey Bonner, how's your crazy rear end stone-worshipping going? Your steez is really interesting and all, but we have enough crazies to go around here on our end of the Island. Maybe you step to and Missus Carcano Bagel will pop some lead your way, uh-hello! "
He's got a new headset now so he can riff about the latest current events Island-wide with Bean while he's working on finishing up this latest order of tech for Hardy's boys and girls. He hadn't managed to wriggle his way out from under her thumb quite yet, but at least he was now being paid under a long contract instead of pouring resources into 'favors'. One of her best boatsmen had lost a foot to that drat sea monster or whatever it was and he was just putting the finishing touches on the toes. With Jackson's input on power supply tech this stuff was cake.

The Studio was maybe the most powerful tool on the island. Constant wireless contact is something very powerful, as the late Puck would have told you, be it for war, peacetime leadership for just about any endeavor, and just for the advancement of society back towards being just a bit more civilized. Sethro didn't really understand any of that. For him it was a combination of liking the sound of his own voice, an intriguing and ongoing technical project, and a way to share those numbers that just had to get out of his head and into the world proper. Jackson was always talking about "encryption code" this and "radio band" that. And that was nice, Sethro is almost always down to talk shop with anyone(especially when they're less self-taught than himself) but in his heart he felt like the guy just didn't get it. The Studio was a tool, but what really matters is how you use it.

Bean was proof that at least one person on the island enjoyed their life a little more because of his show and that the numbers weren't just a byproduct of excess lead inhalation from soldering. Sethro was doing something important. His life had some real meaning these days. It was keeping the Island going in his own small way, and it was keeping Bean going too. Sethro's still not convinced, but between Jackson's new info and her tinkering she's definitely with The Studio for the long haul. Sure they've spliced some longer cables together so she can manage to walk around a bit these days, but being wired has its downsides. They manage though.

At the end of the day, Sethro just went back to doing what he loved the most. Just being some guy talking over the airwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well, friends, paying customers, and you idiots that will rip my story off and tell it as your own, I hope you enjoyed the tale. Luxe and full of detail, yet always surprising, no? And sure there's more of the story to tell, how could there not be?

But that's some other poor soul's role to play.

Good night.

--MC

• Locked thread