Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Hi there, I'm thinking of joining the British armed forces as an officer, and I was wondering if I could get your advice.

A bit about me: I'm in my early 20s - a Commonwealth citizen who has been living in the UK for the past 5-and-a-bit years. I have a social science degree from a top-tier British university. I'm currently working for a PR agency with a focus on crisis management. Before that, I worked in Parliament as an aide.

I've been thinking about joining one of the branches of the British military for about a year now - probably either the Army or the RAF.

There are a few reasons for this:

First of all: from a practical perspective, I need a visa to stay in the country, which I desperately want to do. Joining up would give me this.

Second: I really like this country, and feel the kind of loyalty to it that I think only really comes when you're an immigrant. It's the kind of place I'd like to fight for.

Third: I don't really know where my career is going at the moment, and my current job doesn't feel very secure. So I figure the military would give me some concrete assurance that - at the very least - I've got a promotion to look forward to, and my employer probably won't go out of business any time soon.

Fourth: I also really dislike my industry. Apart from going back to school (which I can't afford and don't really want to do anyway) joining up sounds like the most straightforward way to change tack.

Fifth: I'm out of shape, and deciding to join up would give me a concrete incentive to lose some weight and get in shape in order to meet the fitness standards.

Sixth: I think I've got a bit of a character flaw, in that I tend to be pretty bad at doing stuff I don't like doing. This sounds stupid, but I think it's stopping me from really excelling at work and getting in shape... etc. In the military, you tend to be forced to do poo poo you hate - it's part of the culture. So maybe I'd learn some... discipline, I guess?

If I do end up joining, it won't be until around this time next year. I think this gives me enough time to get in shape and prepare for the various aptitude tests.

----

All this said... I don't know if I should do it and, if so, how best to go about it. So, a few questions:

1) How far above and beyond the entry fitness requirements should I be? e.g.: I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes to join the RAF, but should I actually aim to be able to do it in 9 mins, because otherwise I'll burn out in training?

2) 9 years seems like a hell of a long time to sign my life away for. What exactly would I be doing all day? Is there enough flexibility that, if I find I really dislike and/or suck at my assigned role, I can switch to something else? Or am I stuck with that for as long as I'm in the military?

3) Does the military need people like me? I know that's pretty impossible to tell just from what I've written... So, generally speaking, what do the various branches look for in their officers?

4) As a Commonwealth citizen, I can join as an officer, but will my nationality make it harder to make my way up the ranks, even after I finally get British citizenship?

5) How much choice do I have in terms of where I get posted?

6) Should I learn a third language? Will this make me more useful? Is the military looking for particular languages at the moment?

Got any other advice for me? Need more info? I'd really appreciate your advice, both UK specific and more general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm United States, but I'm pretty sure this is global. This point:

quote:

Fifth: I'm out of shape, and deciding to join up would give me a concrete incentive to lose some weight and get in shape in order to meet the fitness standards.
The military is not a weight loss program, and you shouldn't treat it as such. There are fitness standards and if you want to join you should meet those standards (like not being a fatty, not necessarily being able to do 70 pushups which will just come in time), but you shouldn't even consider it a motivational point for joining. So when you're trying to justify this to yourself (which is the only person who really matters in all of this, not the the internet), don't include that. Then if you still want to join say to yourself, "Ok, now I need to get in shape."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

joining the military won't transform you from some fat piece of poo poo that eats pizza all day long into some pussy slamming mother fucker

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

joining the military won't transform you from some fat piece of poo poo that eats pizza all day long into some pussy slamming mother fucker

but thats not what the commercials say

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 11, 2014

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm United States, but I'm pretty sure this is global. This point:

The military is not a weight loss program, and you shouldn't treat it as such. There are fitness standards and if you want to join you should meet those standards (like not being a fatty, not necessarily being able to do 70 pushups which will just come in time), but you shouldn't even consider it a motivational point for joining. So when you're trying to justify this to yourself (which is the only person who really matters in all of this, not the the internet), don't include that. Then if you still want to join say to yourself, "Ok, now I need to get in shape."

OK, true. I guess it's more of the latter for me. Like, if I want to join the military, I need to be fit. But I also need to get fit anyway, because I don't like being fat. So I guess I'll get fit over the next year anyway, and if I choose to join up then good, but even if I don't join up I'll still be happy I got in shape.

I'm not treating it like fat camp. I want to be as fit as possible when I join.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

He just wants to slay lava monsters.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
look, all I'll say is, I gave my 20s to the air force, and I got to do a lot of cool poo poo, made some really good money, and took advantage of a lot of benefits, but I also missed out on a lot of cool poo poo too because I spent all my time in the desert.

would I do it again, knowing what I know now? probably. but there's no way I'd agree to a 10 year commitment second time around

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

joining the military will transform you from some fat piece of poo poo that eats pizza all day long into some man-pussy slamming mother fucker

ftfy.

My understanding is that none of our armed services are really hurting for bodies at the moment, so you may struggle.

On the committing yourself for 9 years thing - make sure you are getting a trade or a marketable skill out of this. Contrary to the marketing pitch, pointing guns at people and shouting bang is not a skill-set that is much in demand in civvy street. At least not in the UK.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Join a nice bowel of rice pudding EASY THERE O JUST ONE SERVING

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I think you would make an excellent officer; too many people join to serve, not enough join to be served.
Why worry about changing your ways? Join and figure out how to manipulate things so you never have to do what you don't want to/feel like doing.
Do the Brits have light duty or profiles? (For injuries) Starting with your initial training figure out what it takes to keep from having to sweat, while still being able to stay in.
Figure out which officer billets require the least technical expertise, have less urgency(more likely to be on a weekends and evenings off schedule), and minimal responsibility/accountability. Maybe admin, or some area where quality work can be hard to differentiate from the mediocre, or where blame can be laid at someone else's feet? Intel or Supply?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Join the submarine fleet. See the world. You will learn a dynamic skill set which will allow you to move into whichever industry you desire while getting in shape and gradually learning how to love life and make decisions. If there is a requirement referral program lemme know!

spash
Nov 24, 2004

Nelson MandEULA posted:

I think I've got a bit of a character flaw, in that I tend to be pretty bad at doing stuff

This is a common feature at Cranwell and Sandhurst.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If you're not good at doing anything join the US military. You'll get rank pretty quick.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There is a reason the Canadian Forces is the largest employer of Classics and History majors. I'm starting to suspect that may apply to the Brits too.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Do me a favour join the RAF, we have plenty of poo poo officers in the Army who don't like doing things they don't like and end up making GBS threads on the lads.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Cole posted:

If you're not good at doing anything join the US military. You'll get rank pretty quick.

Lol. Not sure if serious or trolling. Rank is a bitch to pick up (at least in the Marines) and with the downsizing of the military, rank will be even harder to obtain.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The joke is that only idiots get rank while the smart ones get shafted and get out.

Edit: VVV My mistake.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 23, 2014

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

The joke is that only idiots get rank while the smart ones get shafted and get out.

Joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Nelson MandEULA posted:

1) How far above and beyond the entry fitness requirements should I be? e.g.: I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes to join the RAF, but should I actually aim to be able to do it in 9 mins, because otherwise I'll burn out in training?

The more above and beyond the entry level standards you are the better. There's a ton of little things to get stressed about in military training, why not eliminate one? Most of the others are beyond your control anyways.

I was bad at pushups and got constantly hosed with because of it at one school I was at. They made me do extra PT on the weekends when everyone else was off. Naturally, the extra PT consisted of running. The point is I could have avoided the whole thing by doing more pushups before I got there. You don't want to be in fat kid PT.

• Locked thread