Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Icon

Icon sends a message to Impulse. "It's stripped again. Except for one weird cable. And the food isn't mouldy...like it should be. It's very strange." He says, frowning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Impulse - Officer's Quarters

Ct'aruk was even more cryptic than he'd ever been but one thing was for certain, time was jacked in this area. It made sense actually. The rusted areas Phantom reported, and the other signs that the crew were changed seemingly overnight. The phenomenon were definitely linked but maybe one was not connected to the other even though things benefited it.

He'd deal in certainties instead of conjecture though. The team had a tech-head that might be able to figure it all out. Impulse was about to send a rotating message to meet on the deck as soon as possible. Due to time messing with even mental contact, they might all get there at different times.

First connecting with :d:Icon:d:, Impulse digested the delayed message then told :c:him and everyone:c: to meet back on deck, time was out of tune on this ship.

Ok well I'm bringing all the info I took and what I've seen and calling a final meeting with the rest of our team. Then we see what to do next.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 1, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Note: As long as no one goes into the field around the pod, there is no delays in communication.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin and Thor

Odin and his bodyguard made their way back to the meeting place. He started to wonder if it would be possible to capture one of the drones. A dissection would be quite interesting.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Impulse - On Deck

Impulse teleported to the deck, just about the same time Odin and Thor appeared. He delivered the book to Odin, the information within hopefully more meaningful to Odin than it was to Impulse. "Well if time is being affected here, then we'd better figure out how to disarm the device."

On deck, talkin'.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Icon

Icon returns to the deck last, frowning.

"I'm not sure what I can do." He admits. "But I'll do my best with your orders." He says.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Phantom

Phasing up through the deck, Sean arrived next to the others and takes on a physical form. "So, what's the plan boss man?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Impulse - On Deck

"Great we're all here. Let's pool our information..."

Once everyone brought all of their findings and in the case of Impulse a book of coding of some kind he turned to :c:Odin:c:. "I'm not sure if its about technology or what but if you can make sense of it that might help our next decision."

Ok pooling our information. Valhawk if you want we can see if the code book helps, if Odin wants to capture a guy we can definitely do that too. I didn't know if that was an open suggestion or not.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

Odin takes all of the data the group has aquired and attempts to deduce what he can about the machine responsible.

Physical Science: (12:46:29 AM) Morphball: Valhawk: 30 = 1d20(13)+17

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
As mentioned in IRC, Odin realises that the hull of the ship is undergoing effects similar to that of aging over long timespans. This suggest the field compresses time, which is why the affected area inside looks really rusted. Phantom, the only person to get close so far, is unable to get close to the pod at the centre of the compressed time field as it becomes harder to move through the field the closer you get.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

"It appears the pod is somehow causing time to accelerate the closer one gets to it. It's a fascinating phenomenon, and I'd certainly like to know how it's being done, but I can't really tell anything about it without being able to see it close up. I'd also love to get my hands on one of the cyberized individuals, but I'd advise against getting anywhere near the device that transformed them."

Odin looks pensive for a moment, "It might be worthwhile to send Thor to examine the pod from a distance, I can examine his sensory data remotely." What Odin leaves unsaid is that it would also be an excellent chance to field test Thor, and continue to study the effectiveness of his programming.

"What do the rest of you think?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thor

"Do I get a say in this boss?" Thor asks slightly apprehensively and enough that a little bit of his old attitude had slipped through a bit.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

Odin's eyes narrow, it appears that the programming hadn't taken as completely as he'd thought. Closing his eyes for a moment, Odin connects through his QE link with Thor's implants and makes some adjustments and revisions to their parameters before he orders the implants positioned in key points in the bigger man's brain to repair Thor's loyalty programming. He supposed it was inevitable that his first attempt at this sort of thing was hardly perfect, but each of these outbursts, as bothersome as they were, would only serve to refine the final product. When the time came to mass-produce servants like Thor he would reap the benefits of this work. Then the world would know his true genius and tremble.

Giving the implants a long moment to do their work, Odin answers Thor's question with another question, "Do you believe you should get a say?"

Not sure if I need to roll anything for this, but if rolls are required this seems like one that should happen behind the GM's screen.

Odin's getting his Evil in where he can.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 8, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thor

Thor's face sort of eases and he says in a calm and slightly dull voice. "No sir. You have my best interests in my mind. There is no need for me to be concerned."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

Odin (barely) manages to suppress a fit of maniacal laughter into an overdone attempt to clear his throat as he hears Thor's response.

"Ahem... Now, as I was saying. I could use Thor as a probe to attempt to get a better idea of pod's function. Based on my initial estimates it will likely destroy itself. The issues with the ship appear to be an unintended side effect of the time acceleration, and I would wager it wasn't originally intended to operate in a location where corrosion is an issue. So the question becomes whether the rest of you believe it is worth the time and slight risk to do this or whether we should move on and hope the encoded logs tell us more."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Impulse - On Deck

Thor's sudden blankness didn't even register with Impulse, his need to do what had to be done blinding him to something so trivial. "Ok, send him in. If the manbots don't patrol there or he can get to it. The time device is the greater threat at the moment. We can capture a manbot later."

"We should station ourselves close by in case something unexpected happens. Phantom should scout for Thor then maintain his distance while Thor checks out the device. Icon should stick with Odin, should he wish to see the device if things are ok." Impulse turned to :d:Odin:d:. "If you are coming?"

"If anyone has any objections or additions to the plan, now is the time to bring it up."

possible plan etc

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Icon

Icon gives a very worried glance between Thor and Odin as Odin does his actions. How...strange? He frowns. But he needs to follow his orders, right? That was the most important thing right now, so he nods to Impulse.

"I understand."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Phantom

"If you'd like I can go with him. Help him get out of the field if things go to hell n a hand basket."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

"Thor will definitly proceed first, if my intervention becomes necessary so be it. If you wish to accompany him, Phantom, feel free."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thor

"Understood sir. I will make my way to the device now." He says, his voice more emotive this time that his will was not being so directly overridden. He looked at Phantom and said; "If you're coming then let's go."

When he reached the cargo bay he reported that he had heard movement of the cyberised men upstairs, but none of them had come down to his level so he had continued on. As Thor entered the room his connection to Odin started to get static-ey. He reported feeling slightly queasy and starting to get a slight pain in his head, but his diagnostics indicated no abnormalities or causes for this. As he walked into the field the connection started breaking up, giving stuttered and slower frames and updates. These symptoms got worse as Thor went deeper into the field, and his diagnostics started throwing up errors and warnings.

Eventually he broke back out of the field and collapsed gasping. Internal diagnostics indicated he had aged by a whole year even though relatively he was only in the field for less than two minutes and he had not experienced even a week of subjective time.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

As Odin looked over Thor he mutters, "Fascinating..." The time dysjunction had been dynamic. It was a lucky thing Thor's self-repair systems had functioned to keep him nourished during the subjective year his body had experienced. It was probably for the best that none of the others had attempted to go in, surely it would be fatal experience for anyone else. Odin looks over the readouts he's receiving from Thor, the break between what his bodyguard's consciousness and body had experienced was also interesting. Another benefit was the excelent data this provided on how Thor's body would adapt to the implants over the long-term. He would have to conduct a thorough examination when they returned to the base. For the moment he would have to be satisfied that Thor was more or less working order.

"Good work." He adds, reminding himself that the Loyalty Program would be more effective if it meshed with Thor's existing mental state.

Running a quick check-up on Thor to make sure he's in working order.

(11:01:35 PM) Morphball: Valhawk1: 34 = 1d20(14)+20

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Just saying I'm still here and waiting on the outcome of valhawk's intel before posting any further plans of action. Holding pattern until then.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thor's systems were still working, a testament to the careful work done in creating them. They could use a tune up, but beyond the rapid ageing effect there was no other signs of damage to anything. Strange as well was the fact that despite being subjected to an ageing effect Thor had not required a year's worth of nutrition and hydration.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Odin

The results of his examination made virtually no sense. Odin would have to run Thor through more extensive tests when they returned to base. For the moment though, all that was left was the possibility of capturing one of the victims of the dragon's tooth for dissection. "Unfortunately, there's not much I can tell from the field here other than the time dilation effect is not consistant. If possible, I'd like to capture one of those affected by the spike, for... examination," Odin manages to contain his evil laughter at that last line to a sinister chortle.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Stallion Cabana, Valhawk, and Arashiofordo3 it was a pleasure gaming with you. Unfortunately, due to reasons I won't state here I am unable to continue playing in this particular game. Thank you and I hope to see you all in possible future games.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Icon, Phantom, do either of you want to put in some input or shall I wrap up this scene and have you guys head back home?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Not really sure what else Phantom can add to this. It's a little outside of his skill set and I can't think of anything to do to have an impact on this situation.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I'm good with heading home, yeah.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'm sorry about this, but you guys have been really great players and I feel awful about saying this; but I need to end the game. My work situation has changed, and it is now a lot busier and more stressful than it was before. After a two week vacation the first day back I've already had a stress headache. I thought about running this in a different format maybe, but the simple fact is I am burning out on a lot of stuff IRL and I need to cut back on my games. I wish I had devoted more time and effort to this, because I feel like I've let you guys down with it. I am not ending all of my games, but this is one of the harder ones for me to write and run so it is one of the ones I am ending.

If any of you are interested in a future game I run, especially you Stallion as you're the one who won't be in a continuing game, you'll definitely get priority consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Thanks for letting us know Kizer, it's sad that we can't continue. But if you're snowed under in work then there's little point in holding out. Thanks for the game, it was good while it lasted.

• Locked thread