Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

I wish Karen had died in that accident. Any ending where they get together again is going to be poo poo because you know she'll just change her mind again and dump him a couple of weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Flatscan posted:

I wish Karen had died in that accident. Any ending where they get together again is going to be poo poo because you know she'll just change her mind again and dump him a couple of weeks later.

Karen dying is the kind of thing where I would want lots of time devoted to the fallout, since it would be a massively tragic event in Hank's life and fundamentally change the tone of the show. Killing her off with three episodes left doesn't seem like nearly enough time to process that satisfactorily.

I do agree that they've given themselves an impossible task with resolving the Hank/Karen relationship. They've stopped and started so many times and Hank has been so inconsistent in his devotion (Karen wasn't on his mind at all during this recent activity with Julia) that any endpoint is going to lack a sense of permanence. I don't even remember why they're not married - was it Hank rebelling against the practice, did Karen specifically not want to marry him, or was it just a casual belief they both shared?

If anything, it makes the finale where Hank left for New York look even better as a series finale, since it was able to get real closure on that relationship while simultaneously offering Hank the closest thing he can have to a happy ending.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Flatscan posted:

Yeah I wish Karen had died in the accident and that Hank had married his new baby mama instead.

He's got 100 times more chemistry with her that he does Karen on screen. We're supposed to believe they are a great couple who had the best of times together or whatever, but none of it ever shone on the screen so I just can't buy it. Plus she's a really wooden actress (on this show at least).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yeah I wish Karen had died in the accident and that Hank had married his new baby mama instead.

He's got 100 times more chemistry with her that he does Karen on screen. We're supposed to believe they are a great couple who had the best of times together or whatever, but none of it ever shone on the screen so I just can't buy it. Plus she's a really wooden actress (on this show at least).

Opposites attract. She keeps him centered. His baby mama #1 still has a wild side to her that would lead them down the shitter if they got hitched. IMO

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ShakeZula posted:

Karen dying is the kind of thing where I would want lots of time devoted to the fallout, since it would be a massively tragic event in Hank's life and fundamentally change the tone of the show. Killing her off with three episodes left doesn't seem like nearly enough time to process that satisfactorily.

I agree completely, they should have killed her at the end of season 5. Had Hank wake up from the murder/suicide thing to find out she was dead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who woulda thought the best part of this season (so far) would be Becca.

Only 30 minutes left. I really really hope this ends well. Just something satisfying. Please.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It still bugs me when Karen (and now Becca) poo poo all over Hank for the Levon/Julia situation. The whole thing started before Hank ever met Karen, he never knew about Levon at all so it's not like there was a long-standing lie, his reasons for not telling Becca earlier were pretty sound, and he's been handling the whole thing about as well as could be expected.

This episode alone, Karen kept getting in little jabs at Hank over it and Becca made sure to bring up Hank's past mistakes in literally every other line of dialogue she spoke. A weird tone to take after the last couple of episodes.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It seems pretty obvious that Becca (and Karen) are just sick of his poo poo. It's not so much making GBS threads on him about having a son as it is about another fuckup in a long line of fuckups.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Finally got caught up on the last few episodes before the finale on Sunday. I think I might be more forgiving of this show since it's the final season but I've really enjoyed this season and I'm going to miss it when it's over. (Hey it never got as bad as Weeds :smithicide:)

I like that they are setting up some closure between Hank and Karen and I'll be really disappointed if they have some sort of bullshit magical reconciliation for the finale.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

How this poo poo got dragged out for this long is beyond me. I've probably posted this before, but I thought the first season would've been amazing as its own miniseries. Perfect ending and everything.

I've only been paying some attention to this season. Whatever magic this show used to have for me is long gone. I don't know how to end it satisfyingly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Second season was outstanding with The Great Gatsby story. And the third with it's powerful ending and all the symbolism it contained. But yeah, since then it's been all over the place. Gay Runkle should have gone on much longer.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Fair point, I really liked the Ashby character in season two. Season three felt pretty bad to me but you're right about the stellar finale.

Season four is the last one I can say something good about, specifically the trial episode with the flashbacks to Hank being passed-out drunk hanging around Bill's house.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Just dropping in to this thread to say I've just started watching this show from the beginning. It is dumb and ridiculous and I kind of love it and don't know why.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does the actress who plays Becca always come off like a giant emo oval office? Or is she just playing that character to the tee.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I was behind most of this season but I spent the last week watching about 6 episodes. It's been watchable/decent. I think it can actually have a satisfying ending.

Holyshoot posted:

Does the actress who plays Becca always come off like a giant emo oval office? Or is she just playing that character to the tee.

It's a chicken/egg scenario.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Just dropping in to this thread to say I've just started watching this show from the beginning. It is dumb and ridiculous and I kind of love it and don't know why.

It doesn't get "bad" per se but the ridiculous factor goes through the roof. I do like how each season distinct- with continuity kept intact.

Here's something very bizarre that hasn't been mentioned here. The main actor who plays "Hashtag" - was cast in the lead (Axel Foley's son) for the Beverly Hills Cop reboot- which was then shelved. Only a pilot was produced.

Overall the season has been "ok". It's been worse, and it's been better. I've suffered through the Dexter/Entourage/Weeds finales- it's impossible for this to be worse.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How are they going to wrap this show up in 30 minutes?

gently caress.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Completely satisfyingly, I'm sure.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That sure was a half hour of television.

Stu is such a creepy gently caress, but Tobolowsky is so entertaining to watch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, it's over. Can't really complain about that ending. It didn't try to do anything other than gracefully bow out. Grace was the name of the episode, too.

I think a show based on Stu could be funny.

Bye Hank.

E: Also, Rocket Man again. Isn't that how the pilot ended? And season 3 finale?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 30, 2014

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yes

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I still think s4? Had the best finale material ending. Hank and Karen go separate ways but they're both okay to happy with it.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I have expect next week to have a new episode where Hank fucks up yet again.

I hate myself for having watched this poo poo

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
That wasn't a bad finale at all. It wasn't so much what it did- it's what it didn't do:

- flashforwards to everyone in the future (happy)
- Hank "actually" proposing
- Becca's wedding
- Hank/Runkle/Marcy cheating one last time

It was a happy ending without feeling like it went against the nature of the show. A tough feat to do nowadays.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It went out with a whimper and not a bang. I'm definitely going to miss the show, I liked the characters a lot. I think the last season shouldn't have been spent with a bastard child and would have preferred it focused more on Hank/Becca/Karen but whatever

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Tokubetsu posted:

I still think s4? Had the best finale material ending. Hank and Karen go separate ways but they're both okay to happy with it.

Is the S4 finale the one with Hank driving away in his car? Because that one is my favorite. The series finale didn't feel like a finale at all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If anybody missed any episodes and/or is like me and aren't paying for Showtime but have Netflix, you're in luck because Netflix just posted the entire series.

e- Is it bad that I remember which season was which based upon the most attractive guest star and/or best tits of the season? Haven't seen 1 and 2, Season 3 (Eva Amurri), Season 4 (Addison Timlin), Season 5 (Psycho Natalie Zea/Camilla Luddington), Season 6 (Maggie Grace's rear end).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 3, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

If anybody missed any episodes and/or is like me and aren't paying for Showtime but have Netflix, you're in luck because Netflix just posted the entire series.
Nice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Episode 1 was alright. Didn't see Hank's son being a thing.

Episode 2- I'm already tired of Levon. Jesus, this show just mercifully jettisoned Hank's irritating kid only to spawn another one. Oh hey, Heather Graham.

Episode 3- It's a race to the bottom between Hugh and Levon! Who's gonna win it? :ohdear:

e- Milana "Lily Adams" Vayntrub to the rescue. :3:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 3, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Powered through all of season 7 last night. It went really fast, although I'm nodding off at work today.

I think the most satisfying ending would have been to have Karen die in the car accident, and then spend 3-4 episodes of Hank winding down a dark alcohol and drug addled spiral of self-destruction, alienating everyone who loves him leading to a really grand and dramatic suicide. Like he said with Runkle, filling his pockets with rocks and walking into the ocean, drunk and high as a kite. His final letter could be about how no matter where she goes he has to follow. It would never fly but I think it'd be the most consistent in terms of his character, I mean look at what he did when a woman he didn't love killed herself at the beginning of season 6?

Anyway, I was annoyed by Levon, but I can't think of any other way they could have handled that scenario. If the kid was cool then he wouldn't need Hank. If he was just shy he wouldn't need Hank. If he was genuinely stupid Hank couldn't help him. I enjoyed the lack of Becca and all the hot incidental characters. I also loved that Marcie couldn't bang Stu, it just seemed right that way. Although them keeping the money was pretty silly. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Michael Imperioli again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Continuing my binge-watch with the running posts I probably would've made had I had Showtime when they aired:

Episodes 4 and 5 were nothing special. Goldie seems like some weak-assed attempt at "one last crazy woman on the side for Runkle". Levon looks like a one-off character from an episode of CHiPs, with the shaggy hair and douchey attitude, and the quest to lose his virginity was painfully awkward.

e- "You must be the pimp!" was a good line.

I remember posting in last season's thread something to the effect of this show being "a show about a bunch of terrible people and their terrible lives", and everybody Hank works with goes right along with that mold. Rath has five and a half episodes to wrap his sports car around a tree and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't.

e2- Episode 7 sucks and makes me not want to finish the season off. And this show's "everything raunchy happens in rapid succession" was too predictable: Hank fools around with the actress, then fools around with Julia, and they're caught by Rath and Hashtag. Then, all of a sudden, they all run outside and Levon and the hooker have hooked up in the pool.

Wasn't expecting to see Krull back. Did anybody pick up on the Sex Pistols' My Way in the background when he showed up at the bar?

Karen/Julia's sudden friendship to spite Hank is good stuff.

Another predictability of this show: The entire cast shows up, and stupid happens. Such as Julia's here. Oh, here comes Eddie Nero! And hey, let's just bring Stu to the house, sure, why not? But that's not all, Levon and a hooker! They're all here, Runkle fights Stu, and the Asian Hooker ROBS STU. I was waiting for Zombie Sexy Carrie to roll up.

Oh God, here comes Becca. And god damnit, Levon is pathetic.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 4, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

So that's how it ends? Hank abandons his expensive sports car at the end of a runway at LAX, boards Karen's flight to New York, and we have a crappy letter reading in the aisle pulled straight from a '90s chick flick? Hank and Karen are magically together until it inevitably blows up again? They could've ended the show 3-4 seasons ago that way.

Later on, mothafuckaaaaa.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 5, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

It was ok. I watched for completion's sake and it wasn't bad.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I felt like season 4 had the best and most final feeling ending. He beats the charges which drove the show up to that point, reconciles with the fact that he just can't have everything he wants, and then drives into the sunset.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like this show because it gives Evan Handler the financial security he deserves.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I've been marathoning through this with the GF, and while I love the show, there's one thing that frustrates me the most : How Hank is constantly getting screwed yet just takes it on the chin and we just accept it.

Hank gets his brand new Porsche stolen. Does anything come of this? Nah, oh well, life goes on!

Or him getting convicted of statutory rape - seriously? You have the girl in question testifying that they never met, oh well guilty, but 3 years probation! At least the Judge in the show seemed to have some common sense.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

I've been marathoning through this with the GF, and while I love the show, there's one thing that frustrates me the most : How Hank is constantly getting screwed yet just takes it on the chin and we just accept it.

Hank gets his brand new Porsche stolen. Does anything come of this? Nah, oh well, life goes on!

Or him getting convicted of statutory rape - seriously? You have the girl in question testifying that they never met, oh well guilty, but 3 years probation! At least the Judge in the show seemed to have some common sense.

It's essentially a sitcom. Don't get too hung up because it stays that course to the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

oswald ownenstein posted:

But that's exactly who he is, and if you've ever known someone self-hating, that's exactly how they act. They think they deserve poo poo like that, and take it. It's just that most of them don't have million dollar paychecks to allow them to shrug it off like Hank can.

On the other hand, he seems to have a lot of mystery income, who knows if he simply had his agent file the claim on his behalf and he collected the check later? It's not relevant to the show.

• Locked thread