Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
I work in the oil field, and received some cuts to my face that may need stiches. When asked if I wanted to visit urgent care I was informed that if I go my bonus pay for the day would be taken away. I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but not sure because it is simply a bonus received. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ganglysumbia posted:

I work in the oil field, and received some cuts to my face that may need stiches. When asked if I wanted to visit urgent care I was informed that if I go my bonus pay for the day would be taken away. I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but not sure because it is simply a bonus received. Any assistance would be appreciated.

You should probably tell us where you work before anybody can render any sort of opinion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Take off you sunglasses and look his straight in the eye and say "how about this bonus" and then kick him into the oil well so it becomes one of those geyser things and then your coworkers will high five you.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

You should probably tell us where you work before anybody can render any sort of opinion.

I work for a hydraulic fracturing company.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
How carved up are you? If it is holding together with a couple butterfly bandages, edges lined up, fully closed, then that is probably as good as the urgent care is going to do with cyanoacrylate glue. It's not like they have Doc Hollywood plastic surgeons working the 2am at the Pisswater, Texas Urgent Care.

So, since you are posting, you decided to stay, keep the bonus? Worried about your modelling career if it doesn't heal up invisible?

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Nothing severe, just worried about infection as it is deep and in several places. And I'm currently on my way to see our head safety guy and was told my two options are go see a doc or sign a refusal of treatment form...

ganglysumbia fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 14, 2014

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
And this is why I'm glad I work for a supermajor.

If there is a confidential HR line I'd call it, not reporting an injury is a ridiculous liability. If they're so worried about their RIF rate maybe they can fix their workflows so their workers don't get their faces torn up.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If your bonus is for working 14 hour days, and you go to the doctor after 6 hours, I suspect they can legitimately keep your bonus, but not dock you pay.

If on paper you make $8.50/hour but in reality, after bonuses, you make $200k/yr, you could probably argue that by keeping your bonus they ARE docking you pay, and that's probably illegal.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm a guy who blows hard on the internet.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

photomikey posted:

If your bonus is for working 14 hour days, and you go to the doctor after 6 hours, I suspect they can legitimately keep your bonus, but not dock you pay.

If on paper you make $8.50/hour but in reality, after bonuses, you make $200k/yr, you could probably argue that by keeping your bonus they ARE docking you pay, and that's probably illegal.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm a guy who blows hard on the internet.

Don't sell yourself short mike. You blow hard everywhere.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
My dad worked in a fertilizer plant that had an unbelievably good safety record. this was mostly because if you were injured and had a doctors note saying you couldn't work, they'd send you a taxi and have you sit in the break room all day so you still clocked in. first they'd threaten to not give bonuses, but sometimes if it was bad (like when my dad broke his hand on the job) they gave him bonuses to do fuckall but still be on site and clock in (and not report it, obv).

I don't have any advice, you just reminded me of this.

He's probably expecting you to be a man and clean it yourself then apply butterfly stitches. go and find a first aid kit.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

ganglysumbia posted:

I assume this is the daily "safety" bonus, which isn't really going to good use if it is discouraging reporting injuries. The way that my old boss explained it to me is that you should report any thing and everything, no matter how minor, and let the HSE guys sorry out categorization. The other important thing to note is that if it does get infected and you can't work, you are extremely unlikely to get worker's comp because the injury wasn't reported.

This actually occurred where I worked. Someone had what seemed to be a minor injury (sprained foot I think) and was about to go on days off so didn't report it. After a few days, it turned out the minor injury wasn't so minor and he couldn't return to work. Even with his supervisor acknowledging the incident occurred on location, he was unable to make a claim because he would be unable to price to the insurance company that the incident occurred on the job.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 14, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I do H&S oversight and if you're getting stitches, you should absolutely report it. Whatever complications you might have could cost more medically than your safety bonus. Plus not reporting injuries promotes an accident-prone work environment. Report it, and let the H&S guys sort out the classification. Not everything is OSHA reportable and as such would impact the company safety rating.

The idea that you should "man up" and tough it out is loving stupid in cases like this. You're not working on the family dairy farm, you're making money for a bunch of stockholders.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 15, 2014

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
How much is the bonus?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
OP, for starters I would highly recommend writing all of this stuff down so you have it for future reference. What circumstances led up to this? Who contacted you? What did they say?

Secondly if you're in a union go talk to your steward. If you work directly for the company I would enquire with HR.

Also what do you mean by 'bonus pay'? Are you talking about over time? Or regular salary? Or do you actually get a bonus or something?

Honestly if you need stitches, I feel like you should go get them.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

ganglysumbia posted:

I work for a hydraulic fracturing company.

That's really odd... there's a fracking company looking to set up shop in my village, and they keep telling us how awesome they are to their employees and they're like family.

Get the stitches; it's easier to replace bonus money than it is to fix facial scars.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

runupon cracker posted:

That's really odd... there's a fracking company looking to set up shop in my village, and they keep telling us how awesome they are to their employees and they're like family.

Get the stitches; it's easier to replace bonus money than it is to fix facial scars.

You're probably talking to the drillng/energy company, not the actual fracking company. Energy clients subcontract out a WHOLE lot of stuff, and how those employees are treated is only secondarily influenced by them. Like, remember when the Deep Water rig blew up in the Gulf, you had BP as the big face of the disaster, but Halliburton and Trans Pacific (or whoever that third company was) were deeply involved too. So for example, if Chesapeake Energy has a well, they might hire Larry's Discount Fracking Company to actually frac it.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if we saw the OP in here again. If he did report it as a workman's comp thing, it's probably not a good idea to talk about it on an internet forum. Not that this is some huge scandal though.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 16, 2014

ibpooks
Nov 4, 2005
You absolutely have grounds to report your company and your supervisor to OSHA for violating your rights. Compensation policies which discourage injury reporting are specifically prohibited for very good reason. OSHA makes their position clear in this memo, particularly section 4 applies to your situation: https://www.osha.gov/as/opa/whistleblowermemo.html

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

runupon cracker posted:

Who would have ever thought a fracking company was unethical and doesn't care about hurting people!?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

IRQ posted:

Who would have ever thought a fracking company was unethical and doesn't care about hurting people!?

Yeah I couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or if they genuinely believe it. Every company (no matter how lovely they are in reality) says they treat their employees well and that they're "like family."

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah I couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or if they genuinely believe it. Every company (no matter how lovely they are in reality) says they treat their employees well and that they're "like family."

Yeah, still though a lot of energy companies take safety extremely seriously. We've had guys suspended from ever working for certain clients because they got out of their truck without a hardhat, or accidentally backed into a traffic bollard.

How well subcontractors and field staff enforce those standards though is another matter.

Heck, one energy company we're involved with has software on their workstations that prevents them from using it for more than 8 hours total during the day due to ergonomic hazards.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Please keep this updated OP. Always interested to hear how hosed up employer/employee relationships are.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LogisticEarth posted:

How well subcontractors and field staff enforce those standards though is another matter.

From what I've seen, if your subcontractor doesn't enforce it, the shb that contracted your sub will and if not them then the sub that hired that sub will etc. etc.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
drat, I wish my boss would do this to me. Go to urgent care immediately, keep all records pertaining to this incident, then sue his rear end for buckets of money when he terminates you.

Glorks!
May 4, 2005
Too lazy to browse my hard drive for good avatars since 2007.
Report your injury.

If not for yourself, than for other workers who are also intimidated into waiving their guaranteed rights.

Then find an ethical job. Your salary isn't worth destroying my children's planet.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Last year I completed a contract job with the Health Services division of an Albertan-based energy company. I guarantee you that if anyone in Health Services, anyone in HR, anyone on the ER/LR side heard of a manager doing this he or she would be out on their rear end the very next day. The repercussions would extend up and down the company for months to come.

I know that's not true everywhere, but it should be. My recommendation would be to report this to your HS and HR, to your ER/LR rep, and if those aren't options go public. If the latter then keep your records, get some legal advice, and stay out of this thread. Good luck!

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

You could also try the legal questions thread a few doors down
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&pagenumber=353&perpage=40

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ganglysumbia posted:

Nothing severe, just worried about infection as it is deep and in several places. And I'm currently on my way to see our head safety guy and was told my two options are go see a doc or sign a refusal of treatment form...

Go see a doc, if your employer tries to screw you sue 'em. From one oilfield worker to another, if it's an injury, you report it. I learned my lesson years ago.

Elevorot
Dec 22, 2008

What?
This is my happy face.
Always report, and get everything in writing. And keep the writing. Paper trails are your friends.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So it's been 8 days.. Did anything come of this, OP? What route did you choose?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Did you die of infection? Are you dead? Are you posting from beyond the grave?

On topic: We have pretty serious OH&S poo poo in Australian industry sectors. You'd get in more trouble for not reporting it if someone noticed it than if you were to report it against your boss' wishes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

OP's bonus was being able to live.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

He probably took the advice to report the injury, was transferred to an oil rig, then thrown off the oil rig.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

He probably took the advice to report the injury, was transferred to an oil rig, then thrown off the oil rig.

Buried in the hopes of eventually turning into oil for future rigging.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capitalist Swine
Jun 26, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Take off you sunglasses and look his straight in the eye and say "how about this bonus" and then kick him into the oil well so it becomes one of those geyser things and then your coworkers will high five you.

Because "THIS IS SPARTA!" ?

Elevorot posted:

Always report, and get everything in writing. And keep the writing. Paper trails are your friends.

^^^ Paper trails are your BEST friends.

• Locked thread