Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i really like that transition effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
That scene is WAY too busy. Level designers gotta use a LITTLE bit of negative space.

Didn't notice this problem with some of the earlier levels, so probably just getting overzealous.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Jesto posted:

Okay, the last temple was Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. What's the next one?

Oh. Oracle of Ages

Fixed that for you. You never actually time travel in Link to the Past.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kiggles posted:

That scene is WAY too busy. Level designers gotta use a LITTLE bit of negative space.

Didn't notice this problem with some of the earlier levels, so probably just getting overzealous.

I understand where you're coming from, but I really like that it's so busy 'cause it's something you never saw in actual 16bit games.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 16, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The difference, I think, is that SNES games had an illusion of busy, but things were secretly pretty uniform. Even if that's because of a hardware limitation, it also had the side-effect of making it easier for the eye to parse. This is kind of a chaotic busy, and while you can tell what's what, there's just way too much of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it looks busy not because there's too much detail but because everything is very brightly saturated, not just the interactable objects that are important. Many games color background decoration and such much darker, so that your eye is drawn to the important stuff and it's not visually overloading

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The White Dragon posted:

The difference, I think, is that SNES games had an illusion of busy, but things were secretly pretty uniform. Even if that's because of a hardware limitation, it also had the side-effect of making it easier for the eye to parse. This is kind of a chaotic busy, and while you can tell what's what, there's just way too much of it.

Digirat posted:

I think it looks busy not because there's too much detail but because everything is very brightly saturated, not just the interactable objects that are important. Many games color background decoration and such much darker, so that your eye is drawn to the important stuff and it's not visually overloading
It's both. Bright and messy.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So we're clear, I still appreciate the team is aiming for a 16-bit, tile based aesthetic, and I don't expect all of the content they produce is going to be winners. I'm just finding that particular scene to be a failure and I hope future content shows a more deliberate use of 'clutter' than we're seeing in that scene. About that only thing I am seeing that 'works' to help visually guide the player's attention is the huge black void. I would have liked to see some more distinction between the playable game-space and the non playable game-space (the water). Right now there's a sort of uniformity in clutter between the two that all problems with the clutter in the playable space are sort of exacerbated by visually confounding it with parts of the gameworld the player can not interact with.

Some other problems, but I don't want to be a huge bummer, and like I said, I'm really interested in the game generally for it's aesthetic. I just felt that one scene looks remarkably weak.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
For what it's worth, while actually playing through that part, which you're forced through multiple arenas within those gardens, the amount of clutter didn't impact me so much. While looking at the gif I absolutely agree there's an excess of noise, in the moment and actually playing it didn't feel all that different.

edit: It might also be an artifact of the resolution. Here's a higher resolution picture of that scene (spoilered for another enemy that shows up there and wasn't in previous pictures afaik)

I do feel like it looks less blaring with higher resolution, especially when you look at the broken path. It looks a lot more like a path than just a mess of stones in the gif.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 17, 2016

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what's the timeframe of this game actually coming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Probable years, at their current pace.

Playing along with the patches has served quite well for me, and the Arcade Mode takes a lot of hours if you intend to S Rank all the floors, for what it's worth. It's not a bad purchase even now.

• Locked thread