Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I personally think Marvel doesn't even know what made Thor unworthy yet. Someone just thought it would be "cool" and they'll come up with the reason later like they did with Brand New Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Whatever it is, it'll make more sense than Steve being old.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Web Jew.0 posted:

I don't know if it's still canon or whatever but in the first Galactus story ever Uatu mentioned that Galactus can't lie.

That's because of a wish Silver Surfer made when Galactus missed his birthday.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

galagazombie posted:

I personally think Marvel doesn't even know what made Thor unworthy yet. Someone just thought it would be "cool" and they'll come up with the reason later like they did with Brand New Day.

I'm willing to give Aaron the benefit of the doubt on this one.

In the letters page of Thor 25 he talks a bit about what is coming up in future Thor issues. Not just the Malekith and the war of Realms stuff, but also Galactus: Butcher of Worlds.
He also specifically says that not only will the book focus on the new Thor (who is she etc...) but that it would also focus on Thor Odinson and what Nick Fury said to him and about being Unworthy and what that means.

It might not instantly be revealed in like issue 1, but if one of the themes of the book is about worthiness and what can make you lose that title, then Aaron must have it planned what has been said.

As for Original Sin Thor/Loki, I really liked how it ended. Not just Thor looking at Mjolnor before going off to track down the Watcher's murderer (oh foreshadowing.) but how the badguy well and truly lost.

At the heart of the story, Old Loki set all this in motion because he's a dick. He remembered how in his time Thor and Angela find out about their parentage during a crossover and bond etc..
So Old Loki decides to change this by giving Thor hints, warning people and he basically makes Thor go into Heavenheim as an aggressor and so he and Angela meet on the field of battle.
Only while fighting happens they more or less leave on better terms. Loki's meddling ends up preventing on a future War he had been counting on. (A nice lesson on how Time Travel and interfering with the past can take away nice stuff too and isn't just for stopping robot apocalypses.) And the coolest part?

Odin telling his children he loves them, even (young) Loki. And how furious this made Old Loki because Odin never said he loved him.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

Odin telling his children he loves them, even (young) Loki. And how furious this made Old Loki because Odin never said he loved him.

I loved that part so much. He looked so indignant.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

galagazombie posted:

The Murderweapon Loki is the biggest most obvious unfired chekhov's gun in the Thor line that could make Thor doubt himself enough to stop himself from lifting the hammer. Like every other time Thor has lost the hammer it's not about actually being unworthy it's about him considering himself unworthy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

The Murderweapon Loki is the biggest most obvious unfired chekhov's gun in the Thor line that could make Thor doubt himself enough to stop himself from lifting the hammer. Like every other time Thor has lost the hammer it's not about actually being unworthy it's about him considering himself unworthy.

Actually, I had a thought about this last week when I was re-reading Infinity.

What if Nick Fury said to Thor
"When you went to negotiate with the Builders and you struck him down? Your action ultimately killed more people than it saved."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Actually, I had a thought about this last week when I was re-reading Infinity.

What if Nick Fury said to Thor
"When you went to negotiate with the Builders and you struck him down? Your action ultimately killed more people than it saved."

He's a viking, I don't think he cares as long as the outcome was righteous.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As much as I would love to see this, there will never be a good Fantastic Four movie regardless of who owns the rights.
If Disney can make Guardians of the Galaxy a hit, they can do the same with the Fantastic Four, especially if they include the kids.

I could see Susan, Reed, Ben and Johnny storytelling a montage portions from different adventures leading up to the "best parts" which would be Val and Franklin themselves. Then comes the title and credits and they're off to an adventure.

And then you can have the Future Foundation TV show, which could introduce elements from the Marvel Universe brought in with the FF IP for any of the Marvel movies to use without having to devote time into backstory or something.

But really I want to see Bentley 23, Dragonman and all the others

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Soonmot posted:

He's a viking, I don't think he cares as long as the outcome was righteous.

I'm not sure about that. Plenty of ancient cultures (dating back to the Greeks and even further) have always gone with the moral of "you don't strike down someone after you've raised a banner of peace." Don't shoot the messanger and all that.

Now, I can understand why Thor killed the Builder after meeting them unarmed. (As Cap ordered him to, it was a vital move to spark a universal uprising, it brought about the end to a galactic war, etc...) But if Thor learned that act didn't even save the number of lives he thought it would then really it becomes a cowardly act of striking down a foe from behind and not through honourable combat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was thinking about this more and keeping with the idea that it's something that couldn't be true until now; maybe the secret was that Nick Fury told Thor he wasn't going to Valhalla. While "Hel" is not the equivalent of "Hell", it could be that the Hammer would only be 'worthy' of a soul that was bound for Valhalla. Introducing this knowledge suddenly makes Thor go "Ok, I could see giving up Valhalla for a good cause." while the Hammer is like "There's no cause more worthy than joining the honored dead, see ya!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe the hammer is bigoted and doesn't approve of Thor's relationship with Hyperion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"You caused Jane's cancer".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

I'm wondering if that's going to be important down the line. The whole threat in Loki's book is that Old Loki is what he's destined to one day become and there's nothing he can do about it. Like it's some kind of non-linear time travel. If that's the case, then based on Old Loki's reaction, Odin's words could very well make a huge difference in what Young Loki becomes.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Gavok posted:

I'm wondering if that's going to be important down the line. The whole threat in Loki's book is that Old Loki is what he's destined to one day become and there's nothing he can do about it. Like it's some kind of non-linear time travel. If that's the case, then based on Old Loki's reaction, Odin's words could very well make a huge difference in what Young Loki becomes.

What I really loved about that was Loki's fear ("If I am loved, it is because I am not known") Odin responding that he knows him and loves him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

"You caused Jane's cancer".

This is my bet, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is my bet, honestly.

Since he can and already offered to cure it with magic I don't know why that would bother him that much.

[edit] It'd be more likely him fixing it against her will would cause his Mjolnir malfunction.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread