Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jerry

Jerry stares blankly. "...you mean this entirely planet's infrastructure has been nearly unmaintained by the mechanicus for nearly eight years or has the seclusion merely accelerated recently?"

"Yeah, definitely an issue, I might be able to get us a supply of off-planet cogboys as well as cause a large enough distraction..." Jerry's eyes light up. "We got a guy that's basically a sentient murder servitor, later on, if we push back the Pure enough we might be able to cause a distraction when we're close enough to the factory. That's for later on, though. In the meantime, are you available for on-call missions from the field, what's a secure way to contact you?"

Jerry nods. "A sort of interrogator/inquisitor thing, gotcha. Hey, now that we've got some privacy, can I get you honest opinion on this whole mission? How its going, what could've been done better, are the Arbites and their pet Enforcers in any shape to assist in taking back the planet?" He stares at the little antennae box. "Need to know what I'm working with here."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
JERRY, blankly

"Oh, they send techpriests out for the big things. The air-recirculators, the bulk dehumidifiers, continental transit system and the like. The local power stations are still manned and the few factories they maintain are fully equipped with servitors. Most other things though? Technomats and emergency reserves."

"If you can distract enough people, certainly. I am at your disposal. You can contact me here, or at one of these numbers. If they make a strange noise, hang up immediately, it's bugged."

"The situation isn't lost, yet. The cultist activity has died right down since my response to their nuke. The Pure could be handled by a decent deployment of Guard, they've got numbers, but they're poorly equipped and lack support outside their core regions. If they'd been delivered a year ago, we wouldn't have this problem. The worker's uprising... The Arbite Enforcers could probably handle it if the root causes were addressed. Get the hives running smoothly again, do a thorough raking-over of the nobility and execute the heretics and bastards. If the citizenry is cheered up a bit and some obvious changes are made most of the movement will fold. The rest can be Judged.

That box officially doesn't exist, I would appreciate it if you never saw it, and the Mechanicus have absolutely no need to ever hear about it."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

He nods, re box. "What box? And yeah, I might have an angle on getting more bodies in here. I think that's all my questions for now, if I have more I'll let you know. Is there any info I can pass onto you from the field to make your job easier since uh, Magdella's acolytes seem to be largely atomized ash at this point?

Once out of the room, Jerry moves over to the clerks. "I want a secure vox line to either Captain Quint or her Seneshel, immediately."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
At the Arbites Precinct House
Nuke shows up shortly after their powwow in the oclub was concluded. Corrupt PDF eh, there's a way to deal with that. He requests an audience with the Judge and requests access to all their files on the PDF issue. He starts identifying which members are legit and who have to go. Without Folkar's supervision, Nuke is likely to make up the blacklist with a couple dozen names on there extra, just to be safe. Submitting it to his Inquisitor for approval, Nuke will attempt to lead Arbites in a top down purge of the PDF command structure, leaving only the faithful and useful alive hopefully. Estimated casualties in the officer ranks would be 90%, senior enlisted 99%, junior enlisted 75%, with only the lowest troopers spared.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jerry, moving on

Mohandas nods, "I'd be interested in knowing how well the no-fly zone around the remains of Upper Unuturo is being maintained. I didn't take the top half click off it just so some cultist could complete his ritual inside a VTOL."

Assume you can talk to people safely. If they're important and/or rich enough anyway. Quint or her staff will generally always be available unless you send them somewhere.

NUKE, reading the Who's Who

The PDF command structure isn't. There's an official org-chart, a huge document that begins simply with Lord-General Carnwath and two pages of titles that he apparently holds. This is followed by a few layers of assorted-titled Generals, each with a territory under their purview. Below that, the documentation becomes complicated. Some Generals have fully mapped out units under their command, with well defined roles. Some have a list of obscure ranks and titles, with no obvious meaning applied to either. One simply says "See Staff Officer Prost for current rankings of household".

When the Judge learns of what he plans, he is not immediately opposed to the idea. "Mr. Dukems, I am eager to see the PDF reformed, but I do not think we can engage in such wholesale assault. The PDF and the ruling nobility of this planet are one and the same. They are proud, egotistical and paranoid, and would see any unprovoked attack on one of them as an attack on all of them. The PDF vastly outnumber our forces. I believe we could survive their siege without issue, but I doubt our ability to take the fight to them. While they would be besieging us, they would not be holding back the spread of the Pure and the Worker's Uprising. We would similarly be unable to travel and act against the heretical groups who have been operating on the planet."

He stands, and paces for a moment "If, however, we can concentrate the upper echelons in a small location, decapitation may be possible. If we can engender a situation where we can be sure of finding the top ranks of the PDF together, if we can be sure that we can kill most of them before they can react to us, and if you can provide an inquisitorial warrant for their execution so Pax is respected, I would certainly provide you with the support that my office can."

The PDF is a lot of people, and massively top heavy. Officers make up about 20%. What the Judge proposes is essentially ignoring the lower levels, and just taking everyone at the rank of General and up. Maybe a few thousand guys. Get them together, bypass their security, massacre, seize control in the aftermath, sort things out from the top down now you have control.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

Jerry more or less inhales the remaining recaff.

"*cough* *hack* took the top half off it. Ritual. What was going on up there that you needed to decapitate a hive?!"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 19, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JERRY, with damp lungs

"We don't know. But it was big enough to require rituals in 8 locations equally spaced around Unuturo, at as close to 88 kilometres away as they could get, with 8 people sacrificed at each. We knew it would be somewhere in the top, in among the estates and enterprises of the great and powerful, but not where. The people who were pinning down the location were dead. We didn't have the strength of authority to force our way into that many noble households, and we didn't have the trusted manpower to do the searching anyway.

"I made the decision. I asked the relic if doing it would be a safe course of action and it said yes. We gave a 24 hour emergency evacuation order to the hive, told them there was a meteor coming. Then, once they were out, I dropped an orbital defence satellite on it."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"...using the orbital defense grid the Arbites seized. So not actually an atomic."
he blinks. "So the Pure are, 100% without a doubt, not just local nut cases but aligned/infiltrated by the ruinous powers, and you knocking a point of that star thing they use disrupted the whole thing?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JERRY, peeling the onion

"No. Almost the opposite. The Cult, whoever they are, seem to be intent on driving as much disruption and confusion as possible. Probably to hide their own actions. They've used the Pure to help do that.

"The family that owned the mining corporation, with the atomic, one of their members was employed to take the Pure into orbit. They were almost certainly a plant, because their members were causing havoc in a variety of locations. The whole family was corrupt as hell, Magdella executed the lot of them after three of those alters were found on their property. The Pure don't know this, or aren't willing to accept it. Our destroying the focus of their star seems to have set back their plans, they've not shown up since as far as I'm aware."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"So this whole planetary civil war is just a cover for, not a product of, Ruinous power infiltrators. I'm not used to this, ordinarily when this stuff breaks out into civil war its tentacles right at the front. And now that their sugar daddies are dead, they've gone to deep cover, with no way to really investigate since we've got a full blown shootin' war on our hands."
Jerry pauses for a moment, thinking. "Are there any possible remaining leads to the cult itself? Because what we've turned up so far is just a higher than average level of mundane incompetence and mismanagement of a local problem."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JERRY, with a lead

"I can't really help you there, not my field. I was never that involved with that side of things. Well, until the end anyway. The only thing I can really suggest is that you look into the Schulze family. It was their atomic."

Schulze is the name of the family with that ring. You remember the ring. It was a really interesting ring. You feel the urge to get the ring and show it to some people.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Schulze, huh? Alright, that's enough for now, I appreciate it."
Jerry heads back to report what he found to Folkar, but not before picking up the ring.

Whenever Folkar has time, Jerry fills him in on the previous conversation. "...so yeah, the mechanicus gone missing, the Pure apparently being a cover, not a front, and apparently that was a satellite, not a secondary nuke, and it disrupted one point of an 8-point cult ritual. Apparently the Schulze family is involved, we acquired a weird ring with that name in that box we found in that office." Jerry shows Folkar the ring, its a really interesting ring.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 20, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce

As the day ends Joyce collects herself from her post and makes her way back to the safehouse. She asks for everyone to be summoned for a meeting, at least those that were not out on mission. She takes the pamphlet out of her body glove and throws it to the table. "I searched the location where the captive had indicated he had been indoctrinated at. I found these and a projector, but not the actual media used in the indoctrination." She closes her eyes as if picturing something and continues, "I spent the rest of the day spying on the location. Mostly just boring guard patrols. Eventually two vehicles arrived. One was loaded full of the reconstituted food stuffs, while the other held individuals. Two of them were heavily muscled, one man and one woman, both wearing only leg garments. They executed two mutants, one a ratling, the other a twist with no ears."

She opens her eyes, "It would seem that the pure not only oppose those who modify their bodies with technology, but mutants as well. If they use subliminals and poisoned the wine at the dinner, maybe they are adulterating the food stuffs in a similar manner?" She turns to Folkar, "I recommend we take the location with a full tactical strike for both prisoners and to see if they are messing with the food; maybe even wait until the two muscle bound folks return."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
At the Arbites Precinct House
"It makes sense. I will present these findings to the Inquisitor Commandant for review."
With that Nuke goes to speak with Folkar.

With Folkar
"Talked to the Arbites Judge Anderson. Was looking to review the PDF command structure for heretics and incompetents. PDF is salvageable with drastic actions. Requesting that you give me the green light and an official warrant to run the Arbites for this. Request you also convene a war council so all the bad apples are in one place."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

Having learned of the usage of the artifact from both the Magos and the Priest who have both told him everything they know, Folkar leans back against the bar in thought. When Jerry arrives and Joyce follows him in with a projector, he almost makes a beeline for the bathroom, but then Jerry shows him the ring. It is in fact an interesting ring, and he raises an eyebrow at the desperado. "Schulze? Huh. I should check the notes on a Schulze, but we might wanna talk to a few of our compatriots on that name, too."

He lets Joyce give her briefing and nods slowly, shaking his head. "It's possible they're using the food in the same way. It'd be a great delivery system if that's feeding the whole hive, but is it?" He glances to Nuke, and again, listens to his briefing. He scratches his beard in thought, looking at his team.

"If we retake the food distribution center I'd want Nuke heading the charge. Taking out the bad seeds in a bloated organization like the planetary defense is gonna take more.. precision." He eyes his interrogator as he says this, before looking over to Jerry. "You find out what you can on the PDF from the grunts and whoever else you can think of. I don't like the idea of taking over the PDF one whit, and I'd rather not be involved, but I get the feeling that we may have plants in there, and if the PDF's patrolling the mechanicus regions.."

Turning to Korbathov, Folkar addresses his tech-head. "You, Nuke and I will go down to where the ad-mech SHOULD be. The Inquisitorial Rosette and Magos title should be enough to get us in and checking things out, and if not, we'll know something is definitely up. Joyce, I want you tailing us, keeping your eyes open in all directions. I'm sure the ad-mech will want a look at Nuke, so I'm banking on him being interesting to them, but I get the idea walking down the street with a magos and a cyborg will draw the attention of the Pure."

"Meanwhile, Jerry, you dig up what you can on Schulze and the PDF. Xavier, you find more on this artifact."
Folkars runs his hand through his hair, shaking his head again. "Throne, we need more than just the six of us now.."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
"Got it. Gonna need your rosette to acquire a shitload of inferno bolts, or poo poo Dragonfire if they got em. I'll keep you posted." On his way out the metal man gives a grisly smile before putting on his respirator. "Always bet on Nuke."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 31, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce

Joyce nods her head, "Yes Inquisitor, I will accompany you to the metal men's headquarters. Is it your intention for me to come inside with you, or to stay outside as cover and support? If it's the later," she pulls out her compact silenced Carnandon and sets it on the table in front of Folkar, "I want you to have this. They might insist on you disarming yourselves, and well, they can only disarm you of weapons they can see. Though if you want me to come inside; I'd like that back ser."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Yessir, Inquisitor"
Jerry inquires with the Arbites about known PDF officers with gambling/drinking/women/combination of the above problems and/or are paid snitches for them. After that its a quick case of modifying his carapace to look like a local varient and making up a bullshit story about being reassigned there from the other side of the planet. The chaos would make it a lot easier for new faces to show up unannounced.

Trying to find an in/contact in the PDF, then bluffing my way in and pretending to be one of them.

• Locked thread