Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Rentaro, a boy living near Tokyo and member of the "Civil Security"—an organization specializing in fighting against the Gastrea—is used to accomplishing dangerous tasks. His partner is Enju, a precocious young girl. They fight thanks to their peculiar powers until one day, when they receive a special assignment from the government. This top secret mission is to prevent the destruction of Tokyo...

Set in a near future, this thrilling heroic-action story... starts now!

The original LN was written by Shiden Kanzaki and illustrated by Saki Ukai, and the adaptation is being done by Kinema Citrus (Code:Breaker) and directed by Masayuki Kojima (Master Keaton, Monster).

Tendo Civil Security

Rentarou Satomi is a second-year student at Magata High School. He is also a member of "Tendo Civil Security Company," headed by Kisara Tendo. Together with his partner, Initiator named Enju, he is fighting against parasites Gastrea, the creatures beyond human's imagination.

Enju Aihara is one of the "Cursed Children" who are carrying Gastrea virus in their bodies. She is a precocious 10-year-old girl, who possesses a hidden superhuman power. Enju is emotionally attached to her partner, Rentaro Satomi, and looks at Kisara Tendo as a rival in love.

Kisara Tendou: A daughter of nobleman, for some reason she ran away from home and now earns her own living. Although, being a student, she manages "Tendo Civil Security" but is forced to live in poverty.

Awesome People!

Kagetane Hiruko, with awesome hat and mask, is currently causing the problems that the gastrea aren't. He seems to have some means of attack and defence that isn't physical. Is trying to summon a Level 5 Gastrea, and destroy the Tokyo Area

Kohina Hiruko is Kagetane Hiruko's daughter and an Initiator. She is quite blood-thirsty, and seems very powerful.

Other Characters

Sumire Muroto is a Gastrea researcher who frequently advises Rentaro. The head of a legal medicine lab in Magata Public University Hospital. A Hikikomori & mad scientist. She is a person of an extraordinary intellect, but she enjoys making fun of Rentaro.

Shougen Ikuma is a a battle-crazed Promoter, and one of the top ranked in the world. Doesn't really seem to like rivals...

Kayo Senju is Shougen Ikuma's Initiator. She is extremely intelligent, but not really suited for front line battle.

Seitenshi is the ruler of Tokyo Area. 16 years old. Possessing an unworldly beauty, having a kind heart and noble goals, she receives a lot of support from the people.

So, is this any good?
I think so. I went into the first episode with fairly low expectations and was really blown away by how good it actually was. The Gastrea (monsters) that we have seen all look really cool, and the characters are quite interesting.

I really want to see where this goes after the first arc is done, and how the story develops. That being said, I have never read the LN or manga for this, and I would like to be surprised going into the episodes, so be nice and spoiler tag things that haven't happened yet.

Where can I watch this?
Crunchyroll is simulcasting this on Tuesday's at 1:30 EDT.

------------------------
This is my first OP, so if there is anything you think I should fix or should add, just let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I read the manga and it seemed passable. I actually like the art overall and the show does a good job with the action sequences. I will probably watch the rest of this, and I hope it goes past where the manga currently is since it cones out so slow.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The visuals are a heck of a lot better than the manga, and it seems to be a pretty solid adaptation thus far. I recommend it, but I have pretty poo poo taste in anime so take my words with a grain of salt.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Nice OP. I am going to watch this show. I don't expect it to become horrible unless they decide to romantically develop the relationship between Rentarou and Enju, but I don't think they will.

I think Kisara said she has to go to hemodialysis too. That intrigues me. My mom has been on hemodialysis for 21 years. I wonder if they'll talk about that more. I also wonder why she's on dialysis.

Rentarou is more than he seems, I think, based on the last episode. The mad-doctor did something to him. We don't know what yet, though. Also, what the gently caress is she eating all the time? I get the impression she's cooking up Gastrea body parts or worse, body parts from humans who have been infected by Gastrea.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Rentarou is more than he seems, I think, based on the last episode. The mad-doctor did something to him. We don't know what yet, though. Also, what the gently caress is she eating all the time? I get the impression she's cooking up Gastrea body parts or worse, body parts from humans who have been infected by Gastrea.

You're right about the first part, but as for what weird stuff she's always eating :iiam:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The process of escalation in this episode was absurd.
First it turns out he's a cyborg, then he's injecting himself with supersoldier serum, then he's firing his robot arm out of a linear accelerator the size of a skyscraper. And that's at episode 4.

This is definitely my throwaway anime for this season though; the action's pretty good and I dig the monsters, but they really lay the melodrama on thick.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Mordja posted:

The process of escalation in this episode was absurd.
First it turns out he's a cyborg, then he's injecting himself with supersoldier serum, then he's firing his robot arm out of a linear accelerator the size of a skyscraper. And that's at episode 4.

This is definitely my throwaway anime for this season though; the action's pretty good and I dig the monsters, but they really lay the melodrama on thick.

This episode was over something like 10 chapters in the manga so that's probably why it felt rushed.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Wow... That episode was something. Everything goes to poo poo, he's a cyborg, fires his arm at "near light speed" destroys a level 5 gastrea, and then learns that Enju is near the 50% corrosion rate, but doesn't tell her. I hope that the end of the series keeps up the escalation, otherwise it won't seem quite as awesome.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It totally feels like they've just skipped the entire series and went right to the final story arc.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
It does feel like it's moving at light speed, and it'll be odd if we now have to spend the next few episodes with them raising up their rank or whatever, but I'll take something short, sweet, and melodramatically fun over something that drags out any day.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Yeah so the shot in episode 2 where it pans out to all these huge guys with the tiny little girls is pretty much the creepiest thing I've ever seen. No more episodes for me.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Ugh, episode four was terrible. It had some neat ideas, but when you jam them together like that with no context one right after the other it's just so cliché that kills the whole thing for me. Especially the 7% reveal. Can you imagine if it was the 12th episode of this series. That would've killed, it would've absolutely gutted me. Instead, episode 4.

Does anyone know if whatever (manga/light novel?) this is based on is any better in this respect? I obviously like the world, but the pacing is unbearably bad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

linall posted:

Ugh, episode four was terrible. It had some neat ideas, but when you jam them together like that with no context one right after the other it's just so cliché that kills the whole thing for me. Especially the 7% reveal. Can you imagine if it was the 12th episode of this series. That would've killed, it would've absolutely gutted me. Instead, episode 4.

Does anyone know if whatever (manga/light novel?) this is based on is any better in this respect? I obviously like the world, but the pacing is unbearably bad.

The manga has a lot better pacing, but this episode just surpassed the manga It's currently up to the part where Rentarou's just punched Kagetake with his newly-revealed cybernetic arm

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.
Relativistic Rocket Punch!

I am now sold on this show and want to see more.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah this episode basically elevated the show from 'okay this might be nice' to 'HOLY poo poo ARE THEY PLAYING FOR KEEPS HERE' O.O

Seriously that was some crazy poo poo right there, and it's only episode 4. I had to go check to make sure it hadn't suddenly been cancelled and this was the finale because holy hell.

I really hope the rest of the series manages to follow up on all of that and not feel anticlimactic, because goddamn, it's refreshing to see a show that kicks expectation and starts getting crazy real not even a third of the way to the end.

Side note though - dude went and named one of his guns Sodomy and I am pretty sure the creators didn't actually look up what most people associate the word with outside of the Bible, so now I am stuck picturing anal gunsex. This is the worst thing.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 1, 2014

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I really want to like this, the premise/characters/writing are all cool but it feels so, so rushed. They could have dragged out that arc to 8 episodes without me complaining; was that the entire first LN in 4 episodes?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just went through all 5 episodes. My opinion is that it's a lot of interesting ideas botched by amateurish directing and writing, but still interesting enough of a story to want to see where it goes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I've been following it and I really liked the first arc, the second one was pretty good but it didn't come close to being as intense as the first one. I have pretty high hopes for the next arc but it seems like the show doesn't really know where it wants to go.

The fact that there's a villain called Ayn Rand is incredibly hilarious to me though.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

watho posted:

The fact that there's a villain called Ayn Rand is incredibly hilarious to me though.

It would of been even more rediculous if Tina's code name was Atlas.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Well, looks like their building a loli harem of overused character archetypes. A catgirl? Really?!

The huge battle that they're building up better be fantastic.

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.
Episode 10: :tviv:

This show really hates kids.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The_Guy posted:

Kinda ironic really, when the worst half of the harem are lolis.
Going by the preview, looks like Kagetane is making a comeback

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The_Guy posted:

That was exactly what I needed to reinvigorate my interest. Though the whole "everyone wants to marry Rentaro" bit is really grating.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Was it just me or was the art really lovely in this episode? Like, really lovely.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
I came in expecting nothing from this serious but I was rewarded with over the top melodrama and edgyness though I have to admit that the pacing at the beginning caught me off guard as it felt like they were on their way to fight the final big bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So this things over, was stupid as hell and uh, I hope we get a second season with Kisara as the main character because :stare:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like the bit where the kids get bombed because it's a really loving cheap way to try and score emotional points

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
So I may not have watched any episodes past 4. Does it ever again reach the :wtf: that 4 gave us? If so, I may try finishing off the season.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Eh, sadly no, it kind of approaches it in places? But the key is generally slower after that.

As dumb as the show was I enjoyed the hell out of it, it just refused to hold back on anything and reveled in being over the top and unabashed. It's stupid as hell and I want more of it. So I guess it's Valvrave without the robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I think that it had a pretty solid beginning and end but the middle parts had very varying quality.

Though the ending bit with Kisara murdering that dude and talking about evilness or whatever seemed like unnecessary sequel bait and came out of nowhere.

• Locked thread