Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

contrapants posted:

Perhaps Christianity isn't right for you, then. You need a more veg-like savior. Try looking into Schiavoism.

No, he just has to try Catholicism. I would assume transubstantiated long pig is protein-rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Midwest salad recipe:

Huge pile of shredded iceberg lettuce
Half a bag of shredded Kraft cheddar or jack cheese
Half a bottle of ranch or creamy-italian/french dressin'

Croutons optional

edit: also this served at chain steakhouses everywhere

I can't think of anything shittier than eating this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Doctor posted:

I can't think of anything shittier than eating this.

Here

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
I like how that dude who reviews fast food, Daym Drops (the Five Guys song guy), calls it "crunchy water."

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

wontondestruction posted:

Maybe gamers would like lettuces more if they could get "Extreme Ranch Romaine" or "Nacho Blasted Iceberg?"

I freaking would!!!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Lettuce exists to remind you that not every meal should be a KFC Double Down

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Teeter posted:

Lettuce exists to remind you that not every meal should be a KFC Double Down

Lettuce makes me want a Double Down over a vegetable, so lettuce fails here, too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

contrapants posted:

Lettuce makes me want a Double Down over a vegetable, so lettuce fails here, too.
As someone who has eaten at KFC you have my condolences over the choices you've made in life.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

As someone who has eaten at KFC you have my condolences over the choices you've made in life.

Thank you. KFC let's me smother away my sorrows.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Realtalk: KFC is loving terrible.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

It makes you poo nice and clean.

Walked posted:

Salad dressing delivery vehicle.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Lucidity87
May 3, 2014
Ah lettuce, for feeding to other animals before we eat those.

Zerok
Feb 23, 2014
Caesar salad is probably one of the best use of lettuce ever.. That thing is good

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zerok posted:

Caesar salad is probably one of the best use of lettuce ever.. That thing is good

Yes, thanks to the outrageously rich caesar dressing, oil-soaked croutons, fatty cheese, and umami-packed anchovies!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
The best lettuce is cabbage.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As an actual serious response to this there's a variety of romaine grown in China called a choy or Taiwan Lettuce which has very very good flavor raw, but I'm particularly fond of stir frying it with garlic and oyster sauce. It's a magnificent green that you should all look out for.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As an actual serious response to this there's a variety of romaine grown in China called a choy or Taiwan Lettuce which has very very good flavor raw, but I'm particularly fond of stir frying it with garlic and oyster sauce. It's a magnificent green that you should all look out for.

Yes, if your idea of lettuce is iceburg, then you need to expand your palate.

9 types of lettuce growing in my backyard :smug:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I was gonna have a serious answer, saying Vietnamese cuisine uses lettuce, like romaine, but then I realized you could still replace it with a crap ton of herb-y leaves which are way more interesting in flavor profile.

(I love romaine, it is a good delivery system for banh xeo and great chopped into shreds in vermicelli bowls.)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lettuces are good for lots of things! They're bright and fresh without bringing acid to the party, they can add moisture without liquid, and some are nice for mechanical reasons like romaine boats or bibb wrappings.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
It makes a nice chilled soup too, sometimes with peas and mint, if it's the texture you don't like. Get a kind of lettuce that has a nice grass-y flavour, like a cos lettuce, round lettuce or Little Gem to make soup with.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Flavor profile flavor profile umami food network.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Argali posted:

I like how that dude who reviews fast food, Daym Drops (the Five Guys song guy), calls it "crunchy water."

This is the best use of lettuce. And celery. Both of which are very much crunchy water. Spinach is the vastly superior leaf veggie, but I prefer lettuce in mixed salads and spinach on it's own, as well as lettuce on most sandwiches. I especially like iceberg as a filling for wraps since it helps give a bunch of volume to keep your wrap from falling apart while still being low-cal and not getting in the way of the flavors of the wrap.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Lettuce with balsamic vinegar and virgin olive oil. That's the stuff

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Stottie Kyek posted:

It makes a nice chilled soup too, sometimes with peas and mint, if it's the texture you don't like. Get a kind of lettuce that has a nice grass-y flavour, like a cos lettuce, round lettuce or Little Gem to make soup with.

Anyone who hasn't made this should, it's fantastic.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
White people smell like lettuce

mizbachevenim fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 2, 2014

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
My uni sells a vegetarian sandwich that is just iceberg lettuce on industrial sandwich bread with a thin layer of "butter."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lettuce is garbage food. I bout some a couple of times because a recipe called for it, but the remains ended up rotting in the fridge because it's just so useless.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mobby_6kl posted:

Lettuce is garbage food. I bout some a couple of times because a recipe called for it, but the remains ended up rotting in the fridge because it's just so useless.

Pro tip: use the food in ur fridge instead of leaving it there until it rots hth

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pffft. Why use old food when new food is so readily available?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dino. posted:

Pro tip: use the food in ur fridge instead of leaving it there until it rots hth

No poo poo, but what would I use lettuce for?!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mobby_6kl posted:

No poo poo, but what would I use lettuce for?!

Dressing delivery device.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
The only time I use lettuce is when I make this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-chicken-lettuce-wraps-354220

They're delicious, and wouldn't be the same without lettuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i eat tuna with lettuce wraps

• Locked thread