Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Everybody reheats.

Yes. Sometimes you're tired and not 'feeling' that cooking vibe, sometimes you're out of ingredients and your paycheck isn't here yet so it's just not possible to go shopping..
Whatever the reason, it's time to reheat something and it sucks because you know deep down you just won't get that same fresh taste you had the night before.. But can we fix that?? This is my quest.

This is my meal. A nearly day old double cheeseburger from mcdonalds, stone cold out of my fridge.

I like to buy a couple of burgers when I go to mcdonalds, to make the trip seem more 'worthwhile' you know? Like, if I drive somewhere I'd prefer to be doing it for more than just one meal. Saves fuel, too.

Anyway, what do I normally do next? I throw it in the aforepictured microwave.
Those with a keen eye might notice that the display on my microwave isn't on. You might also notice the old washing machine next to the fridge! That's because my current place doesn't really have a kitchen, so I don't really have enough wall sockets to run the fridge and microwave at the same time. I tried a double adaptor (obviously), but the darn circuit breaker trips when the fridge compressor and the microwave are running simultaneously :argh:. Oh well, just swap the plugs and we'll be cooking with ga- no, cooking with radiation! :)

So like I said the microwave is the 'usual' step, so I might as well make the 'control' group first before I try alternatives. -- Just dial it in for a bit under a minute so the cheese is pretty melty:

Hmm looks good, cheese is indeed turning liquid BUT, on closer inspection:

The actual meat is cold as heck! But the plate is really hot! (had to rest it on my knee to take a shot).
The bun is all wet and squishy as well! Ugh microwaves :(. Definitely not a meal I look forward to, which is what pushed me to trying something else.

The solution seems obvious- I just need to heat the burger uniformly, unlike a microwave. An oven would make sense but 1) it would probably crisp up the bun too much, and 2) I don't have one. I did have a little 'toast n grill' that would probably work but I stopped using that after I pulled a charred cockroach out of it.

Hmm. My options felt exhausted before I had even begun, but then I remembered something! I have a temperature bath that I made a while ago. Not for cooking, it was for safely distilling and evaporating some solvents. But hell, a temperature bath is a temperature bath, and goons really like this 'sous vide' stuff so maybe I should try it too?

Here's my 'rig'. It's a small water pump and a PID with a thermocouple that I took from a nearby dairy plant. Works great, don't know why they wanted to throw it out.
It's rigged up to an element in a beer cooler (for insulation). Don't worry about the exposed wires, they're just earth wires, no harm.

Now like I said I'm not well researched on sous vide methods, and I was getting hungry so I mostly winged this:

I didn't expect it to float so well..

Cheese burger in a bag, take out most of the air, set bath to.. Hmm.. I wasn't sure what to set it to so I left it at its previous setting of 79 degrees C and walked off for maybe an hour.
Came back to this:

It's definitely hot!

And the bun is exactly how it should be! Not floppy or squishy at all! And the relish and cheese had that right taste to it too. gently caress the pickle though, who eats that??

Serves 1, is nicely complimented by a nice cold diet cola
It was seriously like I'd just bought it at the drive thru. Amazing.

Conclusion: Sous vide for reheating? Don't mind if I do! The only major downside seems to be how long it takes to heat.

How about you goons? Any other methods or foods that you prefer for reheating? If you've got any I'd love to hear about it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Have you ever cleaned your microwave?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

TiMBuS posted:

How about you goons? Any other methods or foods that you prefer for reheating? If you've got any I'd love to hear about it :)
I've had good experiences with putting leftovers in a skillet (depending on the dish I'll put in some oil first) and stirring occasionally while my meal heats up. I know this sounds crazy but it works!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
You can pop the whole thing in a toaster oven for a few minutes. That usually works pretty well for White Castle leftovers.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Tiggum posted:

Have you ever cleaned your microwave?
Its on my to do list

contrapants posted:

You can pop the whole thing in a toaster oven for a few minutes. That usually works pretty well for White Castle leftovers.
I was wondering about that. I mentioned mine had been decommissioned.

Illinois Smith posted:

I've had good experiences with putting leftovers in a skillet (depending on the dish I'll put in some oil first) and stirring occasionally while my meal heats up. I know this sounds crazy but it works!
Well yeah that works for some stuff but what if you got say, a steak and some vegetables you cooked last night for a date that didn't show? Skillet would be a poor choice

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The real question is why you'd cook the steaks before your date shows up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you want to heat something more evenly in the microwave, do it in several shorter bursts with rest time in between. I have some frozen smoked ribs and I usually heat for two minutes, wait, heat for another minute, wait, heat for forty seconds, wait, heat for forty seconds. Maybe one or two more times. This allows the heat to diffuse evenly.

My favorite non-obvious re-heating method is for pizza. You heat it on a dry metal skillet, crust-down, on medium heat for five minutes or so. This gets the crust very crispy and gets the pizza warm. Then you can finish with a brief broil to melt the cheese to a satisfactory degree.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No Wave posted:

If you want to heat something more evenly in the microwave, do it in several shorter bursts with rest time in between. I have some frozen smoked ribs and I usually heat for two minutes, wait, heat for another minute, wait, heat for forty seconds, wait, heat for forty seconds. Maybe one or two more times. This allows the heat to diffuse evenly.

My favorite non-obvious re-heating method is for pizza. You heat it on a dry metal skillet, crust-down, on medium heat for five minutes or so. This gets the crust very crispy and gets the pizza warm. Then you can finish with a brief broil to melt the cheese to a satisfactory degree.

I do the same except cover the skillet which traps the heat and by the time the bottom is crisp, the top has warmed through as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

That's exactly what setting your microwave to lower power does. High (or 10 or 100%) is constant, the lower settings stop and start.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tiggum posted:

That's exactly what setting your microwave to lower power does. High (or 10 or 100%) is constant, the lower settings stop and start.
Whoa... thread is not a waste of time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tiggum posted:

This depends on the microwave brand. The new Panasonics actually offer variable power inverters as I understand it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tiggum posted:

Holy loving poo poo. How did I not know this?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

One time, my power was out and I wanted to heat up some leftover lasagna, so I lit my gas stove with a match and wound up steaming it. Couldn't use the oven because it has an electric starter. Lasagna wound up delicious, water bath below wound up gross.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

mediaphage posted:

This depends on the microwave brand. The new Panasonics actually offer variable power inverters as I understand it.

Wow. google says you're correctt, and that's cool. I should get one, then I don't have to clean mine

crazyfish posted:

One time, my power was out and I wanted to heat up some leftover lasagna, so I lit my gas stove with a match and wound up steaming it. Couldn't use the oven because it has an electric starter. Lasagna wound up delicious, water bath below wound up gross.

You can light an oven with a match! But still a neat workaround. I love steamed hams.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TiMBuS posted:

I didn't expect it to float so well..

Because of the gross microwave pic, I thought this was one of those disgusting food comedy threads, so I thought this was a toilet tank.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I like heating up some leftovers in my rice cooker by steaming, sometimes i'll clean out the cat food bowls and use them (because I can fit two in you see) instead.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Using lower power on the microwave is the way to go. The only thing that I use the default high setting for is boiling water, or making popcorn. Pretty much anything you want to reheat does well at 30% power for 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Using lower power on the microwave is the way to go. The only thing that I use the default high setting for is boiling water, or making popcorn. Pretty much anything you want to reheat does well at 30% power for 10 minutes.

Basically anything that you can mix up can be done on high. Like, leftover soup or stew or pasta, you put it on for 3 minutes on high and then mix it up to spread the heat around and it's fine.

• Locked thread