Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Best food ever tasted?

I would have to go with buttered Lobster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Has to be fresh Pacific oysters. Salty watermelon seawater goodness.

Fresh Uni as well. So good.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Mine are always things I've eaten on holidays, so obviously my mind can't separate the taste from the experience.

1. The first time I had Southern USA BBQ (I'm Australian). OMFG, kill me now because nothing will taste this good again.

2. Green mango salad on the beach on thailand.

3. An afternoon eating bay crabs with old bay, clarified butter and beers in Annapolis with friends.

4. An afternoon shucking and eating fresh Sydney rock oysters on the Australian South Coast with white wine and the friends from #3.

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
I don't know the name of it, but I went to a Buddhist temple for a while and after the Sunday meditation there'd be a vegetarian lunch. Was served a cold vinegary soup that was incredible but I didn't think to ask the name of it. :(

Aside from that, fresh whole grilled amberjack. Fresh grilled fish in general is why I miss living near the coast. Ah well, at least Philly has good street food.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
For me it is Tuscany style wild board with tomatoes and basil.

My parents, my sister and I spend a holiday in Tuscany in the summer of 1994 or 95. We had gotten an tip to go to this small mountaintop village, I can't remember the name anymore.
The village was made up of maybe 10 houses, one of which housed a trattoria called "Trattoria Elke", run by a German lady, who had married an Italian wine salesman and emigrated.

Outside the house there were 2 huge clay flower pots, filled with the most fragrant basil I have ever smelled. And on the back of the house, on an outcropping above a step ravine, facing the west towards setting sun was a row of bushes with the sweetest, most delicious tomatoes.
Her menu was very small, as she cooked it all herself, and would only cook with what she was able to buy at the markets that day/the day before.
We were really lucky, because a local hunter had shot a wild boar and just delivered the meat to her that day. She served the meat in a sauce made of tomatoes, onions and other stuff I can't remember, with freshly picked basil. I have never again tasted a meal like that. It was so fresh and so delicious, you could basically taste the sunshine in the tomatoes and smell it in the basil.
I was 12 years old at the time but I will never forget that meal, nor the little Trattoria nestled on the cliff with a stunning view of Tuscany.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Efresh posted:

Mine are always things I've eaten on holidays, so obviously my mind can't separate the taste from the experience.

1. The first time I had Southern USA BBQ (I'm Australian). OMFG, kill me now because nothing will taste this good again.

I maintain that we Aussies generally have better meat and know how to cook it better, but by god those Americans are on to something with their sauces and we need to steal their saucing and slow-smoking secrets immediately. Yankee barbeque is the one thing I think they do better with meat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Homemade vodka sauce with homemade pasta. God it's like heaven in your mouth and so different from storebought it's kind of insulting to compare the two. I make a huge batch of sauce about once a month or so and just live off of it for a week while making pasta day by day and it's so loving worth it.

It's kind of vain to say I cooked the best thing I ever tasted but there you have it, I just love pasta too much. I should've been born Italian, maybe I would have had a nonna who cooked my pants off.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There are so many great things... Some are completely tied to experiences, while others are just amazing in their own right. I can't pick one. I don't think I could even pick my top 3. I'll just list some things in recent memory that have been great:

Lobster with linguine in tomato and white wine sauce at Giaxa, a small restaurant on the island Hvar on the dalmatian coast. The first time I had a proper lobster. As with most Croatian food it was simple, but had wonderful fresh ingredients.

Lightly fried slices of foie gras and duck breast on fried chinese bread. Served with sweet balsamic dressing, shiso leaf and sherry marinated griottines. This is in fact my favorite starter of all time and can be found at the restaurant Dinner in Oslo.

Zucchini millefeuille with iberico ham and honey. A great tapa at Al Rolo outside of Fuengirola, Spain. It was my first taste of the modern Spanish tapas movement. Very accessible and moreish, great with the local ice cold and slightly bitter beer.

Braised lamb shanks with root vegetable puree and stir fried green beans & asparagus. Made by me. The resulting sauce in the bottom of the dutch oven I use is such a perfect medley of lamb, red wine, aromatics and spices.

Then there is this modern mess:

I can't quite remember what they acually called it since I was deep in the wine menu at that point, but the taste remains. It tasted like a deconstructed Ferrero Rocher served with a very nice bright apple-like sorbet and a superbly creamy au naturel ice cream. Really the first time I've encountered molecular gastronomy and gotten it. Such a great mix of textures and flavors, and I usually skip the dessert. From the restaurant Fauna in Oslo.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 27, 2015

Model Sanitarium
Jul 21, 2002

SnakeParty posted:

Just recently, I was hiking around the Negev desert. There is an extremely nice, motherly, buxom Bedouin lady named Majdalena. She cooked babaganouj, with eggplant smoked over the fire in front of us. It was loving incredible. She made us pita, which I gladly broke the parve rules of pesach for. The BEST was her labaneh from her goats. I am going to visit her again this weekend. She is a gem of a human being.

I am so jealous. I want to meet a nice Bedouin woman who will cook for me and tell me stories.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Oh man, I'm glad I have a lot of good memories of awesome food...

-Freshly cooked scallops with butter and garlic from the side of the road in Kaikoura, NZ. I was walking down the highway from the hostel and came across this couple with an open trunk and a table with a camping stove.

-Foie gras poutine at Pied au Cochon in Montreal. I never had foie gras OR poutine before that, and I don't think I can ever again.

-Soup dumplings (xialongbao) at Din Tai Fung in Taipei. I had no idea they would be so delicious.

-My Sri Lankan friend's aunt and uncle living in Montreal made the most delicious homemade food I ever had. I don't even know what it all was called.

-The pizza at Il Pizzaiuolo in Florence, Italy. Though it was 13 years ago and my memory is a bit hazy now.

-Countless meals living in southern Thailand... particularly the big family meals at seafood restaurants with all kinds of seafood salads, steamed fish, clams, grilled shrimp

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, moving to California has made me appreciate Stawberries so much more.

So good.

I agree. Fruit and veggies taste a lot better here than they do on the east cost or the midwest.

Strangely, so does sushi for some reason. Sushi in the midwest is just horrible for some reason.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spiralbrain posted:

Strangely, so does sushi for some reason. Sushi in the midwest is just horrible for some reason.

Hmmm..

HMMMMMMMMM

Perhaps the ocean being... Far away from the midwest...

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
This is a rough question but three different meals come to mind when I wonder about the best food I've ever had.

- I'm no foodie and I'm sure this will sound lame to some people but a Double Double and fries from In-n-Out is probably one of the best tasting things I've ever had (and will enjoy again in about 3 hours). In-n-Out burgers are easily the best fast food burger in the world, possibly the best burger period. The thing that's great about In-n-Out is the consistency, it will always be delicious no matter where you, what time it is or really how hungry you are.

- A burger from the cafe at the Getty Museum in Malibu. I'm not even really sure how I ended up here but they have a small cafe near the front entrance that happened to sell burgers. I wasn't expecting much but was pretty much blown away. What sucks is I totally don't remember exactly what was on the burger but it really loving stood out. The bread was especially memorable and amazing and they used some unique cheese that was incredible. I've never had another burger like that.

- The most memorable meal and possibly the best actual food I've ever had was a breakfast my wife and I enjoyed at a very small hotel in a Bursa, Turkey. We were only staying one night at the hotel which was a really beautiful and quaint place tucked into the side of a mountain. The hotel had maybe 5 or 6 rooms and they had this lovely little garden in the back with fountains and tables. Someone must have loved turtles because there were maybe 10 of the little guys cruising around, just being awesome. After we woke, we sat down in the garden just to kind of enjoy the moment and relax, not really expecting anything. Next thing we know, this girls brings out a huge tray with maybe 15 different small dishes on it. I ask her about prices and through gestures I learn that a traditional turkish breakfast is included with our stay. Anyhow, it was the most amazing spread I've ever had. Now again, I'm a pretty simple dude when it comes to food but I really loving enjoyed this meal. Just the delicious simplicity of everything blew me away and actually made me kind of look at food differently. There was a little plate of different types of nuts, several types of cheeses I had never had, honey, this weird tomato-y spread that was incredible, olives, olive oil, bread, fruit, and a few things I'd never even seen before. The food coupled with the environment (and the turtles) just made for a really memorable and amazing experience that I'll never forget. That whole Turkish vacation was worth it for that single morning in Bursa.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

visuvius posted:

This is a rough question but three different meals come to mind when I wonder about the best food I've ever had.

- I'm no foodie and I'm sure this will sound lame to some people but a Double Double and fries from In-n-Out is probably one of the best tasting things I've ever had (and will enjoy again in about 3 hours). In-n-Out burgers are easily the best fast food burger in the world, possibly the best burger period. The thing that's great about In-n-Out is the consistency, it will always be delicious no matter where you, what time it is or really how hungry you are.

thing tho is that in and out is actually weak as f.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Woof! Woof! posted:

this is like spergs who get irrationally angry at top 40 music because it's popular. not everything has to be mozart. in-n-out is perfectly acceptable and, in fact, can even be really good at times. also this is literally an argument over taste. telling someone their favorite food is wrong is dumb and pointless, as much as some of the egos in this forum would take umbrage with that idea

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 29, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Woof! Woof! posted:

Its not though. Its a very tasty burger.

There are other chains (Shake Shack,5 Guys,*insert fast casual burger chain*) that also make good burgers. If you want a 'weak burger' go to McDonalds.

That said I will inhale a #1 animal style after a long drive (such as to Las Vegas).

Extremely good oysters and sushi are definitely on the top of my "good tasting" rankings.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If your only accepted definition of a good burger is a 1/2 lb, Med/Med-Rare, juicy , fancy cheese-topped masterpiece, then In-n-Out is weak as f. As far as a thin patty, diner-style burger, In-n-Out is pretty much the best I've ever had.

On the topic of the actual thread though, my first truly great, memorable food moment wasn't actually supposed to be one. For my 13th birthday, I actually asked to use my "big present" for a dinner at The French Room, in the Adolphus Hotel, rather than a gadget, or something else. Every course was awesome, but the highlight of the whole meal, that I remember 18 years later, is the passion fruit sorbet. A tiny, melon baller-sided scoop was served between every course. It was intended to be a palate cleanser, but my god, it was amazing in its own right. Perfectly smooth, sweet, tangy, bright, clean. Just amazing.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
This is going to sound odd, because it is something very humble (and humbling), but the best single food I've ever tasted was a piece of mango.

It was the first piece of mango I got in the Philippines after having erected the camp and being living on MRS and emergency supplies for 14 days.

That piece of mango was pure bliss, it was the ultimate in taste, the tartness, the sweetness, the fullness and the tingling on my lips.

It was pretty OK if you like that sort of thing.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
All –

Stop apologizing about your choices!

Thank you,
- Me

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Twas at an independent street food festival in London last year. Confit duck in a brioche bun, with some form of relish. Topped with a thick slice of half-melted goatcheese and crispy duck crackling and then drizzled with a truffle-honey sauce.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Probably the tasting menu at (the now closed) Feast in Houston. It was just a couple weeks after they opened, the food was amazing, but what put it over the top was that they hadn't really figured out how to organize a tasting menu yet. There were no set courses, so the kitchen just kept sending food out until we told them to stop. Among the things I remember are beef tongue, cassoulet, fish and scallop pie, pork jowls....and probably 6-7 other dishes. Mostly old school, European nose to tail fare, gut busting stuff. I don't think I ate for 2 days afterwards, but goddamn was it good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A bacon pecan salad after three days of eating terribly cooked fatty food with a friends relatives in Tennessee. They did horrible things to meat. HORRIBLE.

I resolved to eat salad for most of the rest of the cross country trip from then on out. I was also super glad to get out of Tenn. We stopped for lunch and a quick tour of St. Louis, and this one awesome upscale burger place in a converted department store beckoned.

I almost cried it was so good. Serious tears welling up in my eyes. It was fantastic toasty pecans, thick crispy bacon, a light fruity vinagrette over mixed spinach greens. No carrots. It was also the relief of not being in loving Tenn. any more. The beer I had was also very good, a nut brown of some sort. Best lunch ever.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid, I had abalone rice porridge for the first time and thought it was the best thing ever. Just a touch of sesame oil makes rice porridge taste so rich.

Spanish mackerel sashimi. Pacific saury and mackerel are my absolute favorite fish to eat, so it was no wonder that mackerel sashimi tasted delicious to me.

Roasted duck with honey ginger glaze. It was the first time I had duck, and it was the best thing I had ever tasted (at the time, at least.) The best part about the dish was that it was served with sauteed vegetables and had shredded beet as a garnish. While eating the duck, the beets would slowly leech into the honey-ginger-duck sauce on the bottom of the plate and progressively make the duck taste even better with the sauce.

e: One more.. Ceviche in Peru. Fresh caught fish, made just right. I've yet to find any ceviche in Southern California that tasted as good. Actually, all of the food that I had in Peru was absolutely delicious. Peruvian cuisine easily became one of my favorites.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 19, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Efresh posted:

What's fun about BBQ is we still have no idea what kind you had. SC/NC/VA have all drastically different BBQ flavor profiles using different flavors as bases etc (i.e. SC uses mustard bases, NC ketchup or vinegar etc).

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

One of my favorite things before I stopped eating meat was good carnitas. One time I was at my favorite hole in the wall and got a plate of carnitas tacos that were just... Perfect. It was crispy and juicy and a wonderful piece of meat that coated my mouth with the most delicious pork fat I've ever tasted. I'm half convinced it was a fever dream because I've never had carnitas even close to that good before or ever again. Just thinking about it makes me want to give up on vegetarianism but I don't think I'll ever find another carnitas taco on par with those three.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
Just remembered another one, I was biking from Dali to Shangrila in China in the winter and it was absolutely freezing and I had been living off canned mackerel and crackers for a few days when we came across a sort of factory compound that had a little cafe and a bunch of the workers were eating breakfast around a little fire before they started work. I ordered the regular Dan Dan noodle type thing that was the specialty of the region but I was also craving meat fat so I just pointed at some of the cured chinese sausages that were hanging in the window. The lady sliced them up and fried them real quick and those greasy chinese sausage slices just made my day.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hmmm..

HMMMMMMMMM

Perhaps the ocean being... Far away from the midwest...

Properly prepared sushi is frozen by default.

E: By sushi I meant sashimi. And by sashimi, I meant fish sashimi.

motorocker fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 19, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've eaten a lot of really good food in a lot of different places, but I don't think any combination of ingredients can make me as physically happy as one particular sandwich at my downtown deli. It has: grilled chicken, roasted red pepper, avocado, hommus, melted smoked gouda, red onion, and a chipotle sauce packed inside a crisp ciabatta roll. It's basically everything that's delicious to me in one fresh package. I can't eat it and not be in a good mood for the rest of the day.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
A couple contenders:

- a Maine Lobster, fresh off the docks with clarified butter. My grandparents lived near the Maine coast and we would get lobsters every time we went up there. Just a delicious childhood memory.

- My brother and I did a tour of California right before I left the military, and one night we stayed in a B&B that had oatmeal brulee with local blackberries for breakfast that was absolutely one of the most amazing breakfasts I have ever had.

- I lived on Guam for 3.5 years and we could catch tuna and would eat it raw on the boat with soy sauce. I later learned this is kind of dangerous, but I never got sick, and no sushi I've ever had replicated the incredible fresh texture and taste of 'right on the boat.' Close Guam contenders include: fresh caught Mahi cooked over a beach bonfire in a foil pouch with from-scratch mayo and seasonings and coconut crab that had been captured out of the wild and fed nothing but fresh coconut for a few weeks (they are scavengers, so they tend to get into trash.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've got my best food and the best meal of one of our family friends.

I was with my friend T---- in Otovalo, Ecuador. We wanted to buy a bunch of souvenirs for our friends back home, and needed to sit down for a plan of action before running through the market itself. We'd just gotten off the 2 hour and change bus ride from Quito, and I had to use the bathroom something FIERCE. We needed to find food quickly. After circumambulating the outskirts of the market itself, we saw a sign for a restaurant that did organic food. It's not something we expected, because we were in the middle of nowhere, and didn't really expect to find something like that out there. (The reason for the excitement about organic restaurant is that those places will frequently have something for vegans that is more than iceberg lettuce with a shaker of salt on the table.) We walked in, and got the menus. There was this dish on the menu that was potatoes and guacamole. Nothing else on that menu could seem even close to this dish, so we ordered it.

Holy cow. Perfect avocado, a good hit of fresh lime juice, those tiny little red shallots, and wedges of boiled potatoes and fresh ripe tomatoes (so fresh you could smell them as the waiter brought them to the table). Something about that combination just hit the spot. I've not been able to get it to the same level as what I had there, because the tomatoes I get in New York are nowhere near as good as the ones we had in Ecuador. :(

Second story is about our family friend Mr. I-------- and his wife. Both of them have been very dear family friends from back in the days when we lived in India. Their family had been friends of my dad's family for a couple of generations back. When my brother was about to get married, they were seriously singing my family's praises to the bride's family. It made them less nervous about sending their daughter off to America. You're talking big time cheerleaders for my family here.

They'd saved up all their lives to take a world trip together. They didn't have a lot of money, but they'd set a little aside all the time, so that they could do this thing. Finally, they booked the trip, when the husband was like 78 and the wife was 75 or so (I could be remembering the ages wrong, but they were old is what I'm getting at). They're both South Indian vegetarian, and like to eat healthy, so this trip was rather trying. They'd been all over the world, in meaty places, where the vegetarian option was like pizza or grilled cheese. They're used to rice, vegetables, pulses, yoghurt, pickles, and all kind of other varieties, and that's just breakfast. Also, they were both getting on in years, and didn't realise quite how physically demanding all that travel can be.

They were going to be in Orlando for a couple of days, and let my parents know. My mum asked me and my sister if we wanted to go visit. It would mean missing school on Friday. "YES OF COURSE THEY ARE GREAT FAMILY FRIENDS WE MUST GO." I had no clue who the heck these people were. My 2nd oldest brother (not the one who got married, but the one who was ... Muslim) was there as well, and asked to tag along. My parents were happy to oblige. We piled into the van.

Because we were rather poor (I'm talking about $1,200 a month that my dad was making, to support a family of 6, in the 1990s), my mum would pack food with us whenever we'd go on a road trip. Miami to Orlando is a goodly 6 hours (with my parents driving anyway), so my mum also packed the rice cooker, some rice, some lentils, an onion or two, and some spicy Indian pickle. She had planned to nip into a grocery store when arriving in Orlando, so that we could grab some fresh veg to go with the rice and beans. We got lost, and the Orlando airport is a shitshow if you don't know what you're doing (we didn't). gently caress you, Beeline.

It took an hour or so to get to the hotel for Mr. I------. By the time we'd gotten there, his wife let us know that he'd been feeling poorly for the past few days, and the heat and overexertion from that day had knocked him out. Us kids hosed off to the pool, and my mum threw the rice and beans and whatnot in the rice cooker to make a sort of ersatz pongal. She hadn't bothered to bring spices, because she knew there was no stove facilities. She figured the pickle would provide the spices needed.

The food was cooked. Dear gods it was bland, compared to what my mother usually cooked, but the pickle did the job. However, Mr. I--------- was in no shape to eat the pickle anyway, because he wasn't feeling so great. He ate those bland rice and beans like he hadn't seen food in years. It had the exact taste of the sort of dish that poor people have towards the end of the month when the spices are all used up, you don't have any oil left, and you've got a few scraps of beans, some rice, some water, and some salt and pepper. It's depressing food, but it fills up your tummy when you're broke, and hungry. For whatever reason, Mr. I-------- needed that bit of childhood back. He felt better after eating, and was up and going again the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Mussels in Roquefort that we spent the afternoon hand-picking on the coast of France while progressively getting more and more drunk on tiny French beers. We washed them down with daiquiries from the strawberries we picked that morning.

Freshness, good cheer and bleeding appendages :3:

• Locked thread