Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was curious what gearing Eddy Merckx was using by the end of his career. Like the most advanced bike he rode. In '72, it was apparently 7-spd?:
http://www.retrospectivecycles.com/archive/colnago-eddy-merckx-52cms/

Does anyone have more info on what kind of gear ratio spread would have been around by the mid 70s? Cuz that freewheel looks so nasty. Wiggins would never be able to climb on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

My local bike shop owner was lamenting how we've got it easy now with compacts as he used to race back in the Colorado Rockies with regular cranks and a 11-23 cassette. Given his age, that must've been in the late 70s early 80s.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Withnail posted:

Lol, Andy Schleck dropped by Tony Martin on the climb.

Kinda late on this ( :argh: Lowtax) but wasnt TdS Andy's last chance at not being shite? Like didnt he get into some raging argument with TFR about being shite and they said "Dont be shite in (some race) and/or TdS or GTFO" and then he proceeded to be shite in both races?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Cancellara will be the leader for Trek, he got a good chance to take yellow on the cobbles stage and keep it for a few days.
The Schlecks will target stages win.

About Merckx, 1972 was when he set his hour record, plenty of info for that bike but according to this site ,the 1974 Molteni road bike has 6 speeds.

Ulissi was caught with high level of Salbutamol and provisionally suspended from Lampre, Salbutamol is what Froome was using in Dauphiné with his inhaler.

Ulissi suspended after failed anti-doping control during Giro

Diego Ulissi returns adverse analytical finding at Giro d'Italia

The JDD strike back with the corticosteroid TUE from Tour de Romandie.

UCI vs Journal du Dimanche, Round 2

Managing the UCI’s Conflicts of Interest

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Jensie, gently caress yeah.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Thor Hushovd announces his retirement :(

He'll try to get in shape for the World championship, but that will be his last race

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Mr.Nice posted:

Ulissi was caught with high level of Salbutamol and provisionally suspended from Lampre, Salbutamol is what Froome was using in Dauphiné with his inhaler.
Wasn't the fuss about Froome using a cortisol spray? Salbutamol, or Ventolin, is not a steroid. There is a daily limit which is probably what Ulissi broke but as it's a common asthma reliever it needs some leeway.

Also, Jensie! I thought he said last year's Tour was going to be his last... I guess Trek talked him around.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Wasn't the fuss about Froome using a cortisol spray? Salbutamol, or Ventolin, is not a steroid. There is a daily limit which is probably what Ulissi broke but as it's a common asthma reliever it needs some leeway.

Also, Jensie! I thought he said last year's Tour was going to be his last... I guess Trek talked him around.

inhaled steroids are ok as they undergo rapid metabolism and therefore don't really have systemic effects. Froome was given a 5 day course of oral prednisolone, something which is only generally used for fairly significant flair ups and they do have fairly significant systemic effects hence the need for a TUE. Someone who legitimately needs oral steroids for asthma shouldn't be on a bike.

David walsh has questioned it too

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-walsh-questions-team-skys-ethics-in-sunday-times

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 27, 2014

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Froome took a puff of his inhaler at the Dauphine before putting in an attack. That as a separate thing from his TdR TUE.

Andy is a domestique for Trek this year.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
dear god/Dave Brailsford please let Wiggins race the TDF and spare us from what looks like a really boring tour...

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I wanna are wiggins enter by himself as a privateer.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Oz Fox posted:

dear god/Dave Brailsford please let Wiggins race the TDF and spare us from what looks like a really boring tour...

Did you not see the Dauphine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
The tour 2014 thread is done.

• Locked thread