Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

“You can’t sleep. It started like that for all of us, back when we were garden variety insomniacs.

Maybe you had nightmares – gods know we all do now – or maybe you just had problems that wouldn’t let you get a good night’s rest. Hell – maybe you were just over-caffeinated. It doesn’t matter. Whatever it was, eventually you got to a point where sleep became a choice, rather than a mandate … and then it just dropped off the list.

And then, and only then, something clicked.

That’s when you started noticing the extras. An extra door here or there. An extra window looking out onto a city packed with surplus buildings, hodgepodge towers standing shoulder to shoulder, roofs angling into one another. Clocks chiming the thirteenth hour and unfamiliar stars twinkling in the too-clear sky. Streets and alleys that weren’t there before, leading to late-night markets that sold things like laughter and indecision.

When you took a long walk down the streets of the Mad City, you stopped being a Sleeper and started being Awake.

But that click you heard wasn’t from the secret world snapping into place. It was the sound of the Nightmares flicking off the safety and pointing a gun at your head. When you crossed over you became a target. They can smell you now, if they get close enough. The Paper Boys are closing in, and you’d better pray you don’t become a headline.

You’re chum in the water, my friend, and it’s time you got ready for it – before the clock chimes thirteen again. You’re going to get tired, more tired than you ever have before, but mark my words: sleep isn’t just off the list now, it’s an outright enemy that’ll strip away your vitality and leave you vulnerable. There’s no going back, and from here on out, there’s just one simple rule that must dominate your life.

Stay Awake.

Don’t rest your head.”
-from the Don’t Rest Your Head playbook

Character Creation
Character creation in DRYH involves considering several aspects about your character by answering questions about what has happened, is happening, and will (you hope) happen to them. Basically you answer five questions (other than what is your name) and then pick special powers, preferably relating to your character in some way.

What is your name?

What has been keeping you awake?
This is the source of the character’s insomnia, and sets up what the character’s immediate history has been like.

What just happened to you?
This is what happens to the character in his very first scene of the game – it’s not in the GM’s hands, it’s in the player’s! Such a moment should always feature a moment of high stress for the character. This may be different from what’s been keeping the character awake.

What’s on the surface?
This determines the first impressions the character gives off, and tells what is obvious about him.

What lies beneath?

This speaks to the protagonist’s secrets, the part of himself that he doesn’t show to the world if he can help it.

What’s your path?
This question addresses the character’s goals, and points to how – in a vacuum – a story about him could reach its conclusion.

Additionally, all characters need two talents: an exhaustion talent and a madness talent. An exhaustion talent is something anyone can do, but you can do exceptionally well. For example, anyone can shoot a gun, but someone with Shoot Guns as an exhaustion talent almost never ever misses their mark, and can even make shots that some people would call impossible. A madness talent is just plain out impossible for normal people to do. Mind reading, teleportation, turning your skin to steel, etc.

To finish your character, you just need to choose response boxes. The two types of responses are Fight and Flight. If a scene goes wrong you may be called to check one of your response boxes. They mean more or less what they seem to mean - fight means you react aggressively, and flight means you react with fear. You get 3 boxes to assign and can split them however you choose between the two responses - even putting all 3 boxes into one response, if you so desire.

I Don’t Know How to Play!
That’s cool, everyone starts somewhere. You can either grab the PDF (it’s only $5!) or hop into #dryhsa, where we can go over the mechanics with you. They’re pretty simplistic. Any other questions or comments can be directed there, too, or just posted in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I do know how to play, and I am interested in this, but where can I find this #dryhsa thing? I get the feeling that a certain amount of real time communication is necessary for these kind of games.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
E: nevermind, I don't think I'll have time, unfortunately. Sounds like a super interesting game though, hope you all have fun!

Trier fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 7, 2014

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I do know how to play, and I am interested in this, but where can I find this #dryhsa thing? I get the feeling that a certain amount of real time communication is necessary for these kind of games.

http://qwebirc.synirc.net/ Go here, then put in a nick and put #dryhsa into the channel.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
MY NAME IS...
Kales Devereaux

AND I AM...
A Police Officer, Suspended Without Pay
Pending Investigations

WHAT'S BEEN KEEPING YOU AWAKE?
The graveyard shift had been causing a lot of problems for Kales. His relationship with his wife had already been strained, but the semi-permanent switch to nights didn't help. The baby on the way definitely doesn't help. On top of that, he doesn't do well at the office. He's a good officer, he upholds the law and considers himself virtuous for whatever that's worth, but he is not well liked. What's been keeping Kales awake? Stress.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO YOU?
It was a routine booking gone wrong. Officer Taney had just got done photographing and registering this perp, who claimed they had to go to the restroom. Of course this is before he checked him for any contraband, and to his credit, the arresting officers should really be strung up for not making sure this guy wasn't dangerous. The perp came running out of the restroom screaming unintelligible nonsense with a gun in his hand. A loving gun.

I did what I had to... I drew my gun and calmly, but firmly ordered the man to drop the weapon. Instead he dropped me. The other officers couldn't even respond appropriately. He had already put 6 in me before the other officers put an end to him. 1 to the head, 1 to the left arm, 1 in my right leg and my vest actually did it's job eating 3, all I can remember is whispering to myself right as I watched him pull the trigger on that glock, "This can't be happening."

I'm sure I died at that second, but everyone else swears I drew my gun on an unarmed man who was on his way to the drunk tank.

WHAT'S ON THE SURFACE?
An unassuming man with dwindling respect for himself. He's quiet and plain. Up until his wife's pregnancy and his switch to the third shift, he had been optimistic, but now he is simply indifferent. However, the change may be difficult to notice as he's never been forthcoming or outgoing with his personality.

WHAT LIES BENEATH?
For months he had been teetering on the verge of a break. People have their expectations about what they think they're getting into when you sign up to be "the Law". Media and television show you one angle, public perception gives you another(more often than not negative), and honestly most of the time what the job amounts to feels like errands more than anything, but then it happens. A real crime scene. A grim reminder of the "ever-present bad" that lurks... hides... blatantly loving stares you in the eyes all day, every day for as long as you're here. Then it's back to that drudgery, only what you've seen stays with you, appearing suddenly if only for moments at a time. You think it goes away, that maybe you'll get used to it... You don't... You just build an ugly little album at the back of your mind. Reminders to be bitter. Reminders to be angry. Reminders that this isn't at all worth it.

WHAT'S YOUR PATH?
I just want to get back to 'Nessa. I'm going to be a father and she's going to be the mother of my child. I know things haven't been great between us lately, but I'm going to work hard to make a difference, to change all that. If the badge is what's holding me back then maybe it's time for a change?

I'm afraid Vanessa doesn't love me anymore. But I'll do whatever it takes to rekindle that flame. To be the man she first loved, to be a father to that child.

EXHAUSTION TALENT: A Good Judge of Character
Kales was always decent at judging a person's motives, detecting lies, etc. but ever since he's become Awake, he feels and understands people more keenly.

MADNESS TALENT: Lucid Defiance
A gun to a bouquet of flowers, legs into springs, bullets into buttons. Kales's madness talent is one of rejecting the truth and overriding it with something more appropriate. Of course this seldom in Kales's control and usually at the whim of his fear wracked nerves.

(1-2 dice) Minor replacements or changes to a targeted object, thing or person. Fangs to Toothless Gums, claws to clipped trimmed nails, a rope neatly put away turned to an untangled and hazardous mess,

(3-4 dice) add or replace object/thing with something else entirely. Doorway onto wall, Person changed to someone else, wild fire to grassy fields, gun to water gun.

(5-6 dice) That didn't happen. Change outcomes that would otherwise be fatal. Rework past events in dire situations to effect the present by replacing, adding or changing details about what happened.

RESPONSE BOXES
FIGHT: O
FLIGHT: O O

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 7, 2014

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
My name is...

Jeff Levitt.

and I am...

A copy editor for a major newspaper and a struggling horror writer.

What's been keeping you awake?

He's had the nightmare almost every night since he was a child. The long scroll that seemed to stretch out in front of him for miles, covered in a language he couldn't understand. Something terrible in front of him, all claws and shadows and glints of sharp teeth, chuckling to itself as it tapped the "X" at the bottom. The ragged, foul-smelling feather pen, wet with something that definitely wasn't ink. As hard as he tried, he could never stop himself from signing.

He tried everything to make them stop. Doctors, sleeping pills, meditation, therapy...eventually he just stopped sleeping. Exhaustion took its toll on him, and his marriage was its first casualty. Susan just couldn't take it anymore. But what waited for him when he slept was so much worse. Why couldn't she understand that?

He didn't remember falling asleep, but he must have, because the nightmare was playing itself out again. This time was no different, but the searing pain on his arm that jolted him awake was new. When he turned on the light he found the skin on his arm blackened in a twisted sigil that hurt to look at. What was even worse was the thing stepping out of the shadows, ready to claim what now belonged to it.

What's on the surface?

Jeff is a hair over six feet tall and thin, and looks to be in his early to mid 40's. He has brown hair streaked with gray and crow's feet around his brown eyes. He tends to dress in dress slacks and button-down shirts, usually in shades of gray or black.

What lies beneath?

A quiet, soft-spoken man who strives to always be polite. He's fascinated by mythology and urban legends, and is always trying to incorporate them into his writing. He's a practicing Catholic, but his belief is slowly wearing thin as the nightmares get worse and no God comes to protect him. It doesn't occur to him to protect himself, he's too much of a coward. Half the reason he likes writing horror so much is that in his imagination, he can take revenge on those he can't stand up to.

What's your path?

His immediate goal is to get out of his contract and away from the Nightmare that owns him. More long-term, he'll need to become willing to fight and to stop running away from trouble. His mundane goal before this whole mess started was to get his novels published.

Exhaustion Talent

Exhaustion has given him the ability to make his words more frightening. He knows just the right words to say to scare someone (or something) into backing down. Mind you, if that person (or thing) calls his bluff, he's really screwed.

Madness Talent

He can tap into the mark placed on him (or perhaps his own dark side) and become something out of nightmares himself. The problem is that every time he changes the mark gets a little bigger, and changing back gets just a little harder.

1-2 Dice: Tap into the beast just enough for a momentary advantage: track by scent, see in the dark, use bestial instincts to stalk prey without being seen.

3-4 Dice: Become the monster, a feral thing of shadows and teeth and claws, a thing that remembers the pink helpless things in stolen skins that huddled around fires at night. They were delicious.

5-6 Dice: Oh, you thought he was the only one? With a howl he calls his pack to him by their hundreds. The hunt is on, motherfucker.

Responses:

Fight 0, Flight 3

Izzy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 11, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

My name is...
Ainsleigh Chase.

And I am...
A hedge fund manager and fitness fanatic. Drug of choice: runner's high.

Ainsleigh was always on the move, one step ahead of the market, one step ahead of the consequences of her actions. If others couldn't keep up with her, that was their problem, not hers. Like the suckers she sold toxic stocks to, just before they tanked. Caveat emptor, baby.
Then one of those suckers, having lost his house and life savings, killed his family and himself. No one blamed Ainsleigh. But that was when the insomnia started.
Hammered by lack of sleep, her work suffered. She incurred losses, then bigger losses when she tried to cover up the small ones. Her moves in the market became flaky, then risky, then downright illegal. By the time she was done, she wasn't just looking at career and financial ruin but real jail time.

Alone in the office at 1 am, Ainsleigh stared hollow-eyed at her monitor as her one last effort to fix everything blew up in her face. As soon as her coworkers arrived that morning, they would know what she'd done. She'd be fired by nine and in handcuffs by noon.
Something in her head snapped.
She grabbed her gym bag and left. She changed into her running gear in the elevator, not caring if anyone came in, but no one did. (That was weird; even this late there were always people in the building.) (And didn't the elevators use to be on the other side of the office?)
As soon as the doors opened she was running, leaving two thousand dollars' worth of clothes and shoes puddled on the floor of the elevator. Planning to run until her heart exploded, she sprinted through the lobby and into the street--only it wasn't any street she knew. And when she looked behind her, she saw it wasn't her building she'd run out of. Where was she?

What’s on the surface?
Ainsleigh looks like a no-nonsense, professional, thoroughly competent businesswoman, in insanely good shape. She's always moving--but not fidgety, just purposeful.

What lies beneath?
Ever since the insomnia started, Ainsleigh's life has been running further and further out of control, and it's still picking up momentum, and she's terrified of putting the brakes on because once she stops, everything she's been trying to outrun is going to crash into her all at once.

What’s your path?
Ainsleigh has always powered through any obstacle, breaking the pain barrier, chasing the runner's high, the second wind. Now she's coming up on a wall she can't break through, and either she'll have to stop and accept the consequences of her actions, or her sanity will get squished like a bug on a windshield.

Exhaustion talent: Grease Monkey
Ainsleigh rocks a $150 Spa Martier manicure these days, and you'd never guess she grew up with grease under her nails, helping her mechanic father fix stuff. He was always disappointed she went into the finance industry, to rip off people like him, instead of working with her hands. Lately, she's been thinking about that a lot. As her exhaustion has grown, her old talent has come back; she can fix anything mechanical, almost just by looking at it.

Madness talent: In the Zone
When Ainsleigh breaks through the wall, she's unstoppable. Her momentum takes her effortlessly through anything that stands in her way. The world becomes grey and insubstantial to her, the only sounds her rasping breath and thumping heart; people and things are like cobwebs she can run straight through.

1-2 dice: Given a run-up, Ainsleigh can shoulder open a solid oak door. A hard shove will send the biggest thug staggering backwards.
3-4 dice: Even when she's not running, Ainsleigh backhanding you is like being hit with a truck. She can knock through a wall without much difficulty.
5-6 dice: Ainsleigh is an unstoppable force. She runs straight through people, blowing them apart in an explosion of gore, dragging a shockwave behind her that can flip cars and shatter windows. Her talent also takes on a metaphorical aspect - those around her are caught up in her momentum and run with her, swept along in the ecstasy of a runner's high.

Responses:
Fight 2
Flight 1

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 8, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My name is...
Charlotte Nixon

and I am...
a wheelman for the Ruiz Cartel.

What's been keeping me awake?
Over a hundred kilos of cocaine, but it's not like you think. Well, not entirely like you think.

I've been driving for the last forty-eight hours nonstop, hitting every Ruiz Cartel distributor this side of the border. I've crossed three state lines and driven through a few dozen counties. I need to make it to each stop before the regular drivers get their package. You see, I'm screwing over the Cartel. Me and my partner Sam Todeski. He's snatching the money, I'm snatching the coke. Once we've cleaned house, we're going to meet up under the interchange where Highway Six meets with the Kino Expressway.

My trunk is full of their product, and I'm going to make a break for it. gently caress the Cartel, and gently caress Silvio Ruiz. I'm gonna rob them blind and be the gently caress out of here before they even know their poo poo is gone.

What just happened?
Sammy is dead. When I saw his car parked under the flyover, I figured we made a clean break. I was practically celebrating. But when I got closer to his car...

There's barely any of Sammy left. No body, no head, just blood and chunks and bone all over the driver's seat, and his hands with his stupid loving driving gloves clutched to the wheel. It couldn't have been the Ruiz Cartel. Even if they've figured out they've been hosed, they couldn't have tracked Sammy this quickly. What the gently caress is going on?

What's on the surface?
Tattoos, piercings. People like me are the reason decent folks have moved to the suburbs. I'm something you can point at and say, "There, that's trouble."

What lies beneath?
Paranoid schizophrenia. Diagnosed and treated for only the last quarter of my life. The antipsychotics help a lot. Without them, it feels like I'm playing for an audience of the biggest assholes in the universe, all inside my head.

What's your path?
Freedom from fear. If there's peace to be found this side of death, Sammy and I were going to find out. No more cop-bullshit, no more gangster-bullshit, no more miserable-loving-daily-life-bullshit. I want a way out, and not like the kind Sammy found.

Exhaustion Talent
The car is my weapon and my steed. Anything with an engine and more than one wheel is all I need. I could make the Kessel Run in a riding mower.

Madness Talent
I've got one voice rattling in my skull, the loud one. He's my guardian angel and nothing makes him go away. Even when my pills don't quiet the whole peanut gallery, I can usually tell them to go gently caress themselves. But I don't ignore him. He watches out for me. He's the one who told me to kill Silvio Ruiz, the most hosed-up sociopath in his whole hosed-up family. I think... I think he killed Silvio. God knows Sil had the drop on me, but I'm the one who walked away.

Responses:
Flight 1
Fight 2

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have taken the Madness Talent from the supplement Don't Lose Your Mind. I hope that's okay.

My name is…
Father Jeremy Calhart
And I am…
The priest of a small congregation stuck in a very bad neighborhood.

What’s been keeping you awake?
A week ago he denounced a couple of known criminals that have been extorting money from members of his congregation. Two days later, he received an envelope containing two bullets. He experienced fear like never before in his life: he told his congregation that he’s sick, he barricaded himself in his small apartment near the church and hasn’t slept since, nervously checking the windows every half an hour, the small gun he bought for self-defense clutched in hand. He started seeing things outside that window- a door where there was never one before on the building in front of the church, a terrier with a human face holding a disembodied hand in his mouth- which isn't doing his mental state any favors.

What just happened?
It’s Sunday. Someone knocks at the door and Father Calhart almost jumps out of his skin. He was away from the window, so he didn’t see who it was. Is it a member of his flock, come to check on the sick pastor? Or is it Eddie Fitzer and Gus, here to get revenge on the snitch?

What is on the surface?
A wiry man with long limbs and glasses, usually wearing the cassock of his office. Soft-spoken and gentle, he has a very calming voice. He used to study classical literature before hearing the call to priesthood.

What lies beneath?
A fearful man who's wondering why would God put him in an ambient that he's so obviously incapable of handling. There's also shame, terrible shame for his cowardliness, with an hint of worry for his flock now that he’s been nowhere to be found for a week.

What’s your path?
On the short term, avoid the gangsters’ revenge and possibly have them locked up in prison. On the long term, find the courage and the mental strength necessary to become the pastor this neighborhood needs.

Exhaustion Talent
He was always good at calming agitated people, but now his soothing voice can mollify a drunkard on a rampage.

Madness Talent
Father Calhart can go where the really wretched ones are: in Hell. He hasn't done that yet; when he will, he's going to find out that it is an ever-changing place, where the only costant is poor souls being punished horribly, sometimes for something as unfair as wishing for riches after a life of misery or touching an Indian Dalit.
1-2 dice: Slide down one of Hell's entrances to slip past a guard or circumvent a locked door.
3-4 dice: Get into Sheol proper to find a shortcut, chat with the damned or witness their horrifying torments.
5-6 dice: Reach the heart of the Abyss where it is timeless and eternal; emerge anywhere at any time, maybe even bringing a damned soul with you.
Resposes
Fight: 1
Flight: 2

edit:added the responses.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 12, 2014

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Hey all, I like the applications that have been posted here a lot. I'm going to go ahead and give everyone another day to post apps if they're sitting on one, but recruitment will close at 12:00 AM EST Saturday.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
What is your name?
Hugo "Ozymandias" Kovacs.

One blow too many to the noggin and well, little things like names and places get a little fuzzy. That, and how to fall asleep. Doc gave me some pills to help me nod off, but the prescription ran out a while back. It was rough, that first couple weeks with the ringing and the flashing but that all went away, replaced with some stranger symptoms.

Hugo just turned down a fairly lucrative deal to bring back Ozymandias. With a remake of course, to reflect the changing times and Hugo's age and, well, decrepitude. The meeting, a friendly chat about the business over Chinese, turned a little sour soon after Hugo laid out his best "sorry, not interested right now," followed by a "How about we talk about that check you still owe me."

What's on the surface?
If you followed the local wrestling scene in the a decade or two ago, you probably saw Hugo deliver quite the beating in the ring, night after night, giving as good as he got. And oh how he got it. The story of a "lost king from time immemorial, seeking a new throne" was kind of ridiculous, but watching some guy with a beard and chainmail shirt beat guys like Corporal Kickass sold tickets.

Now, Hugo's mostly retired. He stays well away active participation, but makes something of a living on the periphery. Commentating, coordinating, coaching; there's always something for a weathered vet to do. It might not pay much, but it pays the important bills. Whatever he does, he tries to keep up that old "ancient king's charisma."

What lies beneath?
A tired man with no clear plan for the future. The local, hell, the state wrestling scene isn't that big and there isn't as much room for a beaten-up guy whose glory days were a couple decades ago. But he's not giving up just yet and the memory of Ozymandias isn't going to fade just yet.

What's your path?
Hugo's got a couple options here. Break away from the wrestling life, give his body a break and try to find some peace and quiet. Or, jump right back in and ride it for all he can until he can't no more. Its follow what he's known these last few years, or try the unknown, a risk he's not that keen on right now. Either way, he's looking for some more stability.

Exhaustion Talent: The Collosus!
He might not look it, but the "old king" can still take a hit and laugh it off. Being half-awake on your feet makes it just a little easier to ignore the creak of damaged joints and tired muscles.

Madness Talent: Look upon me, and despair!
Hugo's got it figured out, the real power of a king. The power to push others to do your will. And not just people; recaltriant locks can be ordered open, beasts cowed and natural forces commanded to step down.

Responses
Fight 2
Flight 1

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Sorry for not posting sooner. All the apps were excellent, but I have decided to take Kales Devereaux, Ainsleigh Chase, Charlotte Nixon, Jeremy Calhart, and Hugo Kovacs.

I'll have an IC topic up later today/tomorrow, and this topic can transition over to being OOC. The IRC channel (#dryhsa) is still up and around for when quicker communication is needed (or if you just want to chill out).

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634593

Oh look it's an IC topic! I tried to start things off with quick and open-ended events for everyone based on their "What Just Happened To You?" answers. If you want to coordinate anything, I'm usually in #dryhsa.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How can I link to a specific post like you guys did in the IC thread? I tried Google, but it brings me to pages that take too much time to connect and the time for the connection runs out.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 16, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007
At the bottom of the avatar column is a # button. Clicking this generates a URL that goes directly to the post. For you, the BB code is going to be:

code:
[url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631801#post429306950]Jeremy Calhart[/url]

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Caufman posted:

At the bottom of the avatar column is a # button. Clicking this generates a URL that goes directly to the post. For you, the BB code is going to be:

code:
[url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631801#post429306950]Jeremy Calhart[/url]

I did not know this and have always been looking through my quotes. I am an idiot.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for the info!

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
I'll have another post up tonight (Saturday night, that is). Sorry for the delay!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I thought that the knocking was coming from the front door, the one that brings outside the house. Now that I've re-read your latest post I need to rewrite my mental image.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sorry about the double post, but if I were to call to the nun now, can I just assume that she won't come back and I'll have to follow her? I fear that I'm slowing down the action too much.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sorry about the double post, but if I were to call to the nun now, can I just assume that she won't come back and I'll have to follow her? I fear that I'm slowing down the action too much.

She might turn around, depending on how loud you shout. Of course, she might just ask for you to follow her anyway. Following mysterious things is never a bad way to advance the plot :P

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Post will be up tonight.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Post will be up tonight.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I assume Ainsleigh and Jeremy are in the same church? Can Ainsleigh see Jeremy at this point?

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

Clipperton posted:

I assume Ainsleigh and Jeremy are in the same church? Can Ainsleigh see Jeremy at this point?

They are in the same church. Ainsleigh can't see Jeremy, however - there's a whole back section to the church. You'll likely run into each other very soon.

EDIT: To be clear, Jeremy is entering via the back and a different nun is leading Ainsleigh there, but you aren't actually together yet.

PhrenzZ fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 1, 2014

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Post up tonight.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Post up tonight.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Goes for the hook shot... scores!

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Helping
In general, protagonists can not easily combine their efforts against a single objective. There’s some benefit to it, but not a lot. Each protagonist “assisting” a main protagonist may roll their discipline dice as his secondary contribution to the conflict. These dice may add successes to the main protagonist’s degree, but do not participate in the determination of strength. Talents do not apply.

If it’s simply not clear who the main protagonist is, have all involved protagonists roll. The one with the highest number of successes takes on the role of the main protagonist for that roll, and uses all of his dice. Everyone else contributes only their discipline successes, but no other pool or talents or strengths.

Regardless, everyone who participates in the effort is vulnerable to whatever dominates – which can mean that multiple protagonists could all find themselves checking off responses, or gaining exhaustion.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Travelling at the moment, will post as soon as I can!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Posted! Sorry about the delay, was travelling longer than I expected. Train strikes are fun :)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Here's my account at orokos, the site I'm using for dice rolling:
http://orokos.com/roll/m-paradoxGentleman
Just click on the dice of a single roll to check the results.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Wow, that was some weird downtime! I'll have a post up tomorrow night at the latest.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ainsleigh's going to use her Madness talent to shoulder the nun aside and chase after Jeremy - do I get to ask how many pain dice she'll be facing, or do I have to guess?

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

Clipperton posted:

Ainsleigh's going to use her Madness talent to shoulder the nun aside and chase after Jeremy - do I get to ask how many pain dice she'll be facing, or do I have to guess?

Each of the nuns is worth 3 pain dice. If you're going to try to push them both aside to break down the hallway they're blocking, I'll roll 6 pain dice. Jeremy is using his Madness talent right now to slip out of the Mad City and into some part of Hell, so I'll leave it to you two whether or not that's a path others can follow down, or whether it just appears as a normal hallway to Ainsleigh. The nuns aren't going down it, either way, but they're blocking access to it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I guess we'll find out!

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Post up tonight

Caufman
May 7, 2007
But now I don't know what to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Thanks for running this PhrenzZ, but I'm going to bow out.

• Locked thread