Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

evilmiera posted:

I don't think Nygma is such a great character, mainly because of the weird fake schizo stuff he was pulling in the finale. That's not how split personality works, hardly even in comicbook land. I'm a much bigger fan of him when he keeps undermining himself by doing stuff like what he did when he wrote that letter, but not when he then goes into his big dialogue with himself about why he did that or how screwed he is. As Riddler, he should've gotten a smug smile from her figuring things out, then entrapped her or posed a new riddle to her that would've stumped her in her investigation, proving how smart he was. Until she found the new clue he'd been forced to drop. Not because I want the show to adhere to the comic books or whatever, but because what we got in the show was just not very interesting.

Penguin, Bruce, and at least in part Selena and Ivy are some pretty neat characters, while I'm slightly on the fence for both Alfred and Jim's new girlfriend. Bullock's a wild card, I sometimes like him and sometimes couldn't care less, depending on who's writing him.

But getting rid of Barbara and possibly Fish are some of the show's best moves. They'd no idea what to do with either of them.

The thing is, he is not the Riddler yet. That is what the show is all about.. No one, is the character we are used to. Its about them becoming that person.

Split personality may not be exactly this way (How you know that, I'm not sure but I suspect you're not wrong) but its not something that can't be easily portrayed on TV. The way they did it was okay in my book. I never once got the impression that he was talking to himself. Not out loud anyways. More like he's got his internal voice, and another one is kinda taking over. It was kinda interesting and it shows that his getting screwed up.

Ivy could be a cool character. The actress seems to portray her well, but it feels like they just try to shove her in once in a while to let us know she exists but will not give her any real part in the show.

Selena is okay once in a while, but her parts in the last episode was just god drat awful. It just doesn't go well with anything else we've seen about her. Pushing that guy down the window was something she did to save Bruce from doing it. Then she meets fish and is a full fledge psyco willing to let a cop die. What the gently caress is it with Fish being able to get anyone to follow her without any good reasons?

The more I think about it, the more I disliked that finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Selena chumming up to fish was absolutely stupid, :agreed:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but we already know that no character is safe. Sal Maroni is really important, but he is now dead.

Sure, but that's not really the same.

The show is still held to the mythology of Bruce Wayne-as-Batman. Regardless of which ancillary criminals are around, the notion that this messianic figure will appear in the future still mandates the direction of the plot.

If they were actually going to upset that idea, it would've been built into the premise. As it stands, even if particular side characters like Maroni die off, the show still has no choice but to tread water because the big deal event is still a decade away. It's essentially Smallville, but more strict because there isn't a way to speed up Batman's development without substantial time jumps.

If they'd committed to it being an alternate history, it'd have strengthened the show because all bets would be off. If Bruce had died, too. Or if Bruce and Martha died, but Thomas lived. Or if only Martha lived. Or if Gordon had stopped the murders entirely. In any of those scenarios, the game would have changed, and the stakes would suddenly be real.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Split personality? More like losing his mind with guilt and dealing with a ton of thoughts of varying sorts at once.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but we already know that no character is safe. Sal Maroni is really important, but he is now dead.

Meet his son, Salvatore Maroni Jr.

#nextseasonongotham

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I figured the thing with Nygma at the end of the episode wasn't him really having a split personality or anything, it's just sort of his mind starting to deal with a lot of screwed up stuff at once that he wasn't emotionally prepared to deal with. I sort of almost want to compare it to his flirtations with Kringle with a kid working up the nerve to ask out a girl in high school and having her misread or reject him. He's essentially made, in his mind, this big move and made himself vulnerable in an attempt to win her affections. He's angry at how stupid he was, he's afraid of his embarrassing secret getting revealed to her/others, etc.

One thing I recently started thinking about with Gotham is that if this show had come out maybe 5-10 years ago, it would have had a 2-hour pilot TV movie that spent the first hour sort of better fleshing out where every character was sort of coming from and their backgrounds and it would have had the Waynes killed at just before the 1 hour mark.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

gannyGrabber posted:

Meet his son, Salvatore Maroni Jr.

#nextseasonongotham

Butch starts wearing a mask, tells everyone he's Maroni, write it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

gtkor posted:

Victor Zsasz captured Butch at one point and did some pretty bad stuff to him off screen. This is what programmed him to be loyal to Penguin, despite him betraying Fish earlier.

Specifically, I think Butch was given the kind of lobotomies that Gordon was seeing at Arkham, since the mob controlled it and we see a similar looking scar.

Speaking of this, I kind of wanted to see Zsasz show up and assist Gordon in that shootout, just because of how awesome it is, and then turn around and kill Falcone once Gordon brings them together. At least it makes more sense than Falcone deciding to just retire. Didn't he watch The Sopranos? You don't just get out without looking suspiciously at everyone. Maybe he thought they'd think an old man would be harmless.

Overall, though, I think "they gave us that buildup to Fish's return just for THAT?" We already talked about how Fish was going to be killed by Penguin just due to the poetic meaning behind her name, but this ending suggests the writers didn't have a plot in mind to accomplish that at all.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

Butch starts wearing a mask, tells everyone he's Maroni, write it

Bullock gets plastic surgery, to become don falcone, to keep the city from descending into chaos.

"Zsasz! Knife this balogna brain!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am pretty sure Sopranos is a thing in the Batman universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Except that it's a documentary in that universe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dalael posted:

The thing is, he is not the Riddler yet. That is what the show is all about.. No one, is the character we are used to. Its about them becoming that person.

Split personality may not be exactly this way (How you know that, I'm not sure but I suspect you're not wrong) but its not something that can't be easily portrayed on TV. The way they did it was okay in my book. I never once got the impression that he was talking to himself. Not out loud anyways. More like he's got his internal voice, and another one is kinda taking over. It was kinda interesting and it shows that his getting screwed up.

Ivy could be a cool character. The actress seems to portray her well, but it feels like they just try to shove her in once in a while to let us know she exists but will not give her any real part in the show.

Selena is okay once in a while, but her parts in the last episode was just god drat awful. It just doesn't go well with anything else we've seen about her. Pushing that guy down the window was something she did to save Bruce from doing it. Then she meets fish and is a full fledge psyco willing to let a cop die. What the gently caress is it with Fish being able to get anyone to follow her without any good reasons?

The more I think about it, the more I disliked that finale.

Yeah, we got some different ideas on what went down with Nygma, but I can 100 percent agree with you on Selena in the finale. She was someone who when she was pushed into a corner pushed back (no pun intended) but overall wasn't an outright terrible person. And then Fish just recruits the first girl she sees off the boat and gives her a gun and she runs with it. Why she would when Fish was just exiled and you can't really know if she has any real power left or anything, not to mention she ought to be laying low after that murder she went and commited, I do not know.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a rhetorical way of saying "didn't the writers of this mob tale ever dwell on the meanings of one of the most widely known finales to a mob tale?" A boss under attack that decides to just disappear is eerily similar.

But this show has not exactly been gripping mafioso stuff, opting for stuff like Fish wanting Falcone to sign papers to give her the mob.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, we got some different ideas on what went down with Nygma, but I can 100 percent agree with you on Selena in the finale. She was someone who when she was pushed into a corner pushed back (no pun intended) but overall wasn't an outright terrible person. And then Fish just recruits the first girl she sees off the boat and gives her a gun and she runs with it. Why she would when Fish was just exiled and you can't really know if she has any real power left or anything, not to mention she ought to be laying low after that murder she went and commited, I do not know.

Eh, she seemed to just be going along with it for shits and giggles (and a mom-substitute.) Fish's whole arc from the Dollmaker to becoming Pisces Ex Machina was all about showing that yes, she's annoying, but she's also an extremely competent leader even after being busted down to living organ donor. It's not that strange to believe that she'd have the charisma to win over Kyle.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

Eh, she seemed to just be going along with it for shits and giggles (and a mom-substitute.) Fish's whole arc from the Dollmaker to becoming Pisces Ex Machina was all about showing that yes, she's annoying, but she's also an extremely competent leader even after being busted down to living organ donor. It's not that strange to believe that she'd have the charisma to win over Kyle.

That quick, though? And honestly, was Selena ever that needy for something akin to a mother? I mean, I might've missed that earlier on in the show, and what was going on with Barbara and all, but I really can't see the connect between just meeting her and then being her top goon.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

evilmiera posted:

That quick, though? And honestly, was Selena ever that needy for something akin to a mother? I mean, I might've missed that earlier on in the show, and what was going on with Barbara and all, but I really can't see the connect between just meeting her and then being her top goon.

They should've shown Fish's return in the previous episode. I wonder if they ran out of time for her considering they didn't bother to show how she recovered from being shot either.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Crashbee posted:

They should've shown Fish's return in the previous episode. I wonder if they ran out of time for her considering they didn't bother to show how she recovered from being shot either.

There must be some cuts, I can't imagine they filmed her getting shot with zero plans for it. The only reason for it now would be to reveal that it was a magic bullet that made her immune to death if she crawls out of Gotham River next season.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dresh posted:

There must be some cuts, I can't imagine they filmed her getting shot with zero plans for it. The only reason for it now would be to reveal that it was a magic bullet that made her immune to death if she crawls out of Gotham River next season.

When asked a few days ago if she was in season 2 she said she will not be a series regular instead of saying outright she would not be in season 2 like she did a couple months ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jabro posted:

When asked a few days ago if she was in season 2 she said she will not be a series regular instead of saying outright she would not be in season 2 like she did a couple months ago.

She fell into the water and crawled into the sewers. She's gonna find and mentor Kid Killer Croc. Kidder Croc. Kid Rock.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That is a really good observation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sign my petition to get the Batusi into Season 2.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dresh posted:

The entire last handful of episodes feel really odd that when I think about them my brain just feels very compelled to think that there's a reason they feel that way. I'm even sort of willing to entertain the idea that they were mining some season 2 plotlines and getting those just done. I mean, I could easily see the entire final episode (sans the Bruce/Alfred bits) being expanded over several episodes just to get us to the point where Maroni and Falcone are both gone from the city.

I don't know if maybe a part of it was they were writing the character/episodes while negotiating with Pinkett-Smith, unsure if she was coming back and/or trying to reinvent the character or what. I'm sort of wondering if they had planned for Fish to be written out of the rest of Season One after leaving Gotham City, with plans to bring her back in Season Two. The entire Fish/Dollmaker arc of the second half of the season reminds me of the Three Dots of the Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series. It's there, it eats up a lot of time, it's frustrating and there's pretty much zero payoff for any of it. It'd been one thing if Fish was going to use Dollmaker to turn cosmetically alter Oswald to have a more traditional Penguin and have him waddle back to Gotham for her amusement.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morena was added as a series regular for season 2. Of course this doesn't mean they won't ditch her partway through the season considering how they treated Montoya and Allen.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jerusalem posted:

I'm clicking your post, but nothing is happening.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Morena was added as a series regular for season 2. Of course this doesn't mean they won't ditch her partway through the season considering how they treated Montoya and Allen.

She's so going to get killed, and Barb will get rehabbed so her and Gordon can go back to living together in that swanky apartment.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Falcone (mid-season): I am getting too old for this, I want to retire with this lovely young lady. Wait? She is a plant and has been playing me all along? I strangle her instantly upon finding out, and I have never felt so alive!

Falcone (end-of-season): I guess I am too old for this poo poo.

Sigh. What a terrible waste.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

Aw, you made me imagine young bruce attempting this while young selena rolls her eyes at him :allears:

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Falcone (mid-season): I am getting too old for this, I want to retire with this lovely young lady. Wait? She is a plant and has been playing me all along? I strangle her instantly upon finding out, and I have never felt so alive!

Falcone (end-of-season): I guess I am too old for this poo poo.

Sigh. What a terrible waste.

I had a number of issues with the finale and this was certainly one of them too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Given how odd the season ultimately felt, I've still been sort of wondering if there was a lot of shake up in the development of the season thanks to poor fan reaction to the Jim/Barbara chemistry, the much better Jim/Leslie relationship and Fish as the season was being produced.

That being said, I wonder if there was a plan at some point for something like the Barbara/Ogre arc of the second half of the season to have been intended for Kringle, instead. However, as the season moved on, they threw that out to get Barbara out of the picture and cement the Leslie/Jim relationship.

Just a theory on my part, but I almost feel like there are some pieces in place that lend itself to this direction maybe early on. I have to admit, too, a lot of this still ties into my notion that Kringle seemed like a character that could have been poised to become a serial killer in the series.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Just a theory on my part, but I almost feel like there are some pieces in place that lend itself to this direction maybe early on. I have to admit, too, a lot of this still ties into my notion that Kringle seemed like a character that could have been poised to become a serial killer in the series.

Who loving knows. They could be setting her up as a Riddler Harley Quinn!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

JediTalentAgent posted:

That being said, I wonder if there was a plan at some point for something like the Barbara/Ogre arc of the second half of the season to have been intended for Kringle, instead. However, as the season moved on, they threw that out to get Barbara out of the picture and cement the Leslie/Jim relationship.

No problem there, in my opinion, this is a series that is full on crazy and stupid so I am perfectly fine with them just embracing the crazy for Barbara if only to get Jim and Lee together since they have actual chemistry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Cryohazard posted:

Who loving knows. They could be setting her up as a Riddler Harley Quinn!

I was sort of thinking the opposite, though: The Riddler was maybe being set up as Kringle's Harley.

If it turned out that Kringle was going to end up being a secret serial killer or something, I could see it as being something where Nygma's the only one to figure it out but be so infatuated with her that he starts to craft himself a similar secret persona in an attempt to bond with her.

Like I said, it was mainly just some stuff from her earliest appearance that sort of got me wondering that, though. She's introduced in an episode about a serial killer and her reactions to Eddie in that episode might not be just because Eddie is so strange but because some of the topics and things he's saying to her: He asks her if she thinks what would drive someone to kill like the Spirit of the Goat, he mentions her parents and how pleasant they must be, and she gets bit more agitated when he criticizes her very personal filing system. Her very prim and proper look and behavior,. It might be just her reactions to Eddie being Eddie, or just her being sort of bookish character herself, but when you look at those elements in comparison to the later Barbara reveal of her parents and their control/criticism of her growing up, maybe even the Ogre's ability to track down people close to the GCPD very easily, evidence going missing, I think it sort of looks like it might have been a thought.

There's the bullet cupcake, too. A beautiful woman is a deadly thing. In his obsession and infatuation with her, he's unknowingly figured out that she's more dangerous than she lets on.

• Locked thread