Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

they can be temporary debuffs (or buffs, sometimes when your resolve is tested you succeed and get a positive effect) or more permanent mental conditions like paranoid, sadist, masochist, etc. no idea what all of those do though. i know one of the negative traits is curious, which will make the party member who has it force interact with dungeon features like chests/books/etc

the gameplay seems cool as heck, the atmosphere owns, and i even like the art style. i really hope it's actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

87 damage killing blow through +1 plate and +1 large shield to end my latest dungeon crawl

nerf titanic slimes plz

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

"You will have to tend to characters’ spirits as much as you do their Hit Points."

That sounds incredibly tedious and not fun, unless they just mean a glorified food timer, in which case, fine. But hopefully it can be handled in an interesting way.

Also party combat combos seem cool.

sounds like you don't have what it takes to care for fragile human beings with serious mental problems caused by the immense stress of some boney dude dumping skeleton poop all over their faces

come on don't you want to have a high level party so mentally scarred from their campaigns that they're all shivering paranoid wrecks who cut themselves and drink into a stupor after every dungeon

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
ADOM owns

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

87 damage killing blow through +1 plate and +1 large shield to end my latest dungeon crawl

nerf titanic slimes plz

basically do not ever be next to slime creatures unless they are the smallest possible size

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Now just write this onto a postcard and send it to Thomas Biskup, and our children and children's children might enjoy a better ADOM game. AERIS DIES! AERIS DIES!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DoubleDonut posted:

basically do not ever be next to slime creatures unless they are the smallest possible size

Is there some other gimmick about slimes that allows them to be killed in a non-tedious way? For example in Nethack, Mimics hit pretty hard and can one shot low-level characters, however they can also be safely killed as a level 1 character by noticing that they only act once every 3 turns. Thus you can attack twice then withdraw, and they will follow you, ready for you to attack again.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

Is there some other gimmick about slimes that allows them to be killed in a non-tedious way? For example in Nethack, Mimics hit pretty hard and can one shot low-level characters, however they can also be safely killed as a level 1 character by noticing that they only act once every 3 turns. Thus you can attack twice then withdraw, and they will follow you, ready for you to attack again.

If I remember right, they tend to divide back down if they're out in the open instead of in corridors. Regular-size slime creatures don't do a ton of damage, so just hit them then and retreat if they combine again. They don't regenerate from combining and dividing spreads out all the damage they've taken equally to each creature, so you don't actually lose any progress.

If that's too tedious then I guess haste yourself or have better killdudes skill.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Powercrazy posted:

use axes and have high ac, go loving nuts w/[tab]
that's my pro strategy as someone who never plays wimpy blaster casters hope u enjoy

also back up once you first encounter one/two they don't shout so only those will follow you and you can pick them off like that

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Powercrazy posted:

I'm confused. i thought you were going to talk about non-tedious monsters

anyway slime creatures are completely harmless, since they're normal-speed melee-only monsters that can't even open doors. don't ever be in a situation where you're fighting more than a double-stack ('large'); their movement is completely predictable, so you can shift around so that they don't merge into each other too much. you can beat them up to maybe get them to split, but ofc don't try this with a 3+ stack unless you desire death. try casting sticky flame on one for a fun surprise

the neat thing about them is that they make the standard 'stand in a 1-wide corridor and hit tab a bunch' strategy a Hilariously Bad Idea, which is a cool mix-up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if a slime with a status effect combines, the big slime has the status effect

if a big slime with a status effect divides, all resulting slimes have the status effect

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
sounds like slimes are pretty boring and easy. delete them

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

BoredDG posted:

What is the official opinion of Liberal Crime Squad in this thread?

It's a fascinating concept with an interesting and unique system, unfortunately the gameplay is generic, repetitive and tedious. It's also not a roguelike.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Most of the games I want to make would actually take a lot from LCS because I really like the base concept where you recruit people, assign them to squads, train and equip them, etc., but the problem with LCS is that doing this is a huge amount of work and all that hard work never really cashes out into anything interesting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Did ADOM or Sil get tiles yet I thought I read that that was happening

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Adom's had tiles for like a year, Sil's supposed to get them next version, or at least have tile support.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sil is the lord of the rings one right? That's the one I meant

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

marvinpa did not make this change, or in fact, any changes at all in the last month

it's kind of funny how obsessed you & the other 4chan people are with him, tho

It's not 4chan people dumbass.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Sil is the lord of the rings one right? That's the one I meant

Yes that's Sil.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

BoredDG posted:

What is the official opinion of Liberal Crime Squad in this thread?

Anyways, if you want the Breaking Bad of videogames, play Liberal Crime Squad or Swat 4 or, hell, maybe even try out Floor 13 if you're okay with going a bit afield. All of those are games that exist, made by small, dedicated studios without grandiose ideas of billion-dollar profit margins, more concerned with delivering a small-but-tight experience with meaningful decision-making.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm confused. i thought you were going to talk about non-tedious monsters

anyway slime creatures are completely harmless, since they're normal-speed melee-only monsters that can't even open doors. don't ever be in a situation where you're fighting more than a double-stack ('large'); their movement is completely predictable, so you can shift around so that they don't merge into each other too much. you can beat them up to maybe get them to split, but ofc don't try this with a 3+ stack unless you desire death. try casting sticky flame on one for a fun surprise

the neat thing about them is that they make the standard 'stand in a 1-wide corridor and hit tab a bunch' strategy a Hilariously Bad Idea, which is a cool mix-up.

I'm not criticizing the game, I've never played it tbqh. But unless there is some strategy ot the combat system, or some other gimmick about the monster, which it appears there is in this case, a big monster that does a poo poo load of damage at melee range is boring.

But yea, if the monster is designed specifically to counter the common chokepoint strategy, it seems great.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

Anyways, if you want the Breaking Bad of videogames, play Liberal Crime Squad or Swat 4 or, hell, maybe even try out Floor 13 if you're okay with going a bit afield. All of those are games that exist, made by small, dedicated studios without grandiose ideas of billion-dollar profit margins, more concerned with delivering a small-but-tight experience with meaningful decision-making.

Is this a copy/paste?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Is this a copy/paste?

http://exploringbelievability.blogspot.com/

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StoryTime posted:

ADOM is a goddamn treasure trove of weird rear end stuff like that. I like the dungeon where on the first level all the monsters arbitrarily spawn at 2x your level, so if you spend too much time there even the rats start punching through your armor for hundreds of damage.

The Small Cave/SMC. I once got very lucky there with an altar that generated on it and got to a stupid high level of piety with my deity at a very low level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

adom is actually easy to win as long as you don't mind abusing every cheat you can possibly think of or look up

this isn't really a point in its favor

• Locked thread