Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Are people playing AoM online with this release? A lot of them or just a bunch of old hands? Does everyone play titans or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Poil posted:

Meh. I feel like the only person who could never get into RoN or got what was so great about it. :raise:
For me its the gameplay, I really like the gimmick of the borders of your civ moving to take control of the world.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

How's the HD version? I love AoM, but my new laptop doesn't have a cd drive and I heard bad stuff about the AOE HD version.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Hopefully they'll raise the pop cap in RoN HD. The game plays way better with 500 max or what have you.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Rise of Nations rules, though I think it can go a little fast. If there's an option to slow down the research and production and whatnot this will be awesome.

Well, there were options to make teching the ages slower/more expensive. RoN had a TON of options for fine-tuning game rules, in fact, and was very easily moddable. I went into the game files and made wonders take longer and cost more and the like and it didn't take but a few minutes. You could easily make the changes to research speeds there with only the most cursory knowledge. Fantastic that it's finally getting a Steam re-release, I was in love with RoN for the longest time, it was just the best Civ-RTS ever. (whoops, just noticed I was beaten to this observation about RoN's customization options)

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 1, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

Well, there were options to make teching the ages slower/more expensive. RoN had a TON of options for fine-tuning game rules, in fact, and was very easily moddable. I went into the game files and made wonders take longer and cost more and the like and it didn't take but a few minutes. You could easily make the changes to research speeds there with only the most cursory knowledge. Fantastic that it's finally getting a Steam re-release, I was in love with RoN for the longest time, it was just the best Civ-RTS ever. (whoops, just noticed I was beaten to this observation about RoN's customization options)

The thing was the "slow down" option also drastically slowed down the unit speed and animation and it just felt like you were playing in a weird slomo universe.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What? You're talking about something different. The thing I'm referring to was a single specific category in a game's setup options. I'm not referring to the game speed. There was a little pull-down that allowed you to make Age teching take longer and cost more.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Seems like the best thread to mention, but I just saw and it didn't seem like anyone mentioned it: sometime in June, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition, on Steam. $15.99 until release, $19.99 at release, it's a steal at that prerelease discount.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Shima Honnou posted:

Seems like the best thread to mention, but I just saw and it didn't seem like anyone mentioned it: sometime in June, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition, on Steam. $15.99 until release, $19.99 at release, it's a steal at that prerelease discount.

This is literally what we've been talking about for the last page.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

President Ark posted:

This is literally what we've been talking about for the last page.

I thought it was just discussion on RoN in general, but in reality, it was that I'm an idiot.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Drumming up the AoE1 fan patch again, because they have a balancing survey waiting for player input. Play AoE1 in widescreen with 500 population!

Download:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2477

ModDB page:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/upatch-hd

quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Features:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Custom game resolutions - up to 1920x1200! For more information, check "Custom Resolutions" section below.
NOTE: Unlike the final version, the interface background screens in the Beta are simply resized graphics, not enhanced or corrected in position/aspect ratio.
- Option to select random teams ("?" for team number). Two teams will be formed if everyone selects "?".
- Option to select "Random" in Map Type, so that you don't know which map will be chosen until the game starts. In Multiplayer this option also hides the selected map type in "Scenario Instructions".
- Multiplayer population limit option extended to 500.
- Post-Iron Age option added as starting age in both Single and Multiplayer.
---- Not included in the Beta (will be included in the final 1.1):
- HD interface graphics - interface background screens enhanced to HD quality! No more upscaled blurry low resolution/low quality screens. Check the screenshots here.
- The original CD audio soundtrack in mp3, replacing the primitive synthesizer (MIDI) version.
- Updated technology trees for all civilizations.
- Support for more game languages.
- Some other improvements.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Grabbed the pre order RoN patch because I missed out of AoM, and like others said, its probably my favorite, though AoM and AoK really want to be there too.

It is annoying that the release is just June 2014, with no date given.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Someone on GAF made a preview video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eFWwpIv0Mj0

Haven't watched it, but a reply says they seem to have actually improved the unit animation framerate?

Also, thread title needs more Rise of Nations in it.

EDIT:
The smooth animations are real!

A Twitch video
http://www.twitch.tv/limitedfailure/b/536470901

quote:

Info so far
-Scenarios are able to load through the multiplayer menu, although he did not yet play online with someone else.
-He played before with other reviewers/developers and he said it only lagged for about the first thirty seconds. Hopefully this means less lag than previous edition.

EDIT2: Oh, there's now a separate RON thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639455

cuc fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 9, 2014

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Rise of Nations is OUT! Downloading now, can't wait.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lorini posted:

It plays really smooth. Of course I dive right into a conquer the world campaign. Are there any new civs introduced in this? Or is everything pretty much the same if you had the expansion.

I know its a foolish hope, but I do hope AoM will be on sale when they do have the Steam Summer sale. I know its new, but its also an older game.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy

Lorini posted:

work great, really a nice edition, what I miss now is rise of Rome in HD.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

cuc posted:

Drumming up the AoE1 fan patch again, because they have a balancing survey waiting for player input. Play AoE1 in widescreen with 500 population!

Download:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2477

ModDB page:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/upatch-hd

Oh god, this is the best. Do all the old campaigns work out perfectly? This game's quite rudimentary compared to the later entries, but something about the music, sound effects and general atmosphere really does it for me.

I really hope this somehow gets picked up for Steam release one day. How did the Forgotten Empires stuff get picked up?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FYI this is currently a 66% off deal on GMG. So a bit over $10.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Where? I'm not seeing it

http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=age+of+mythology

Looks like $30 to me

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

It ended earlier today.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
All of these games are on sale on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Even at 50% off they're still way too expensive for a 10+ year old game.

• Locked thread