Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Ah, the internet! Never before has there been such an outlet for information. Never before have borders and distance meant so little to the exchange of opinions and ideas. Never before have people been so willing to share with strangers intimate and embarrassing details about their medical problems.

After posting a link to my second-favorite internet medical distress tale of all time, it was subtly suggested that I should also post my first. Sensing potential in this topic, I started this thread. If you or a "friend" have had an unusually hilarious or gripping encounter with medicine, go ahead and post it. What I would really like to see, though, are detailed, embarrassing tales of the sort that get passed around in newsgroups and develop cult followings and wind up with entire web pages dedicated to them. In that spirit, I present to you:

The Worm Within

A brief but engrossing story about a man who ate raw beef one too many times and suffered the consequences, complete with lovingly rendered illustrations. This is the aforementioned "second-favorite" story.

My Anal Fissure Bob

The riveting tale of a man with a tear in his rear end in a top hat. Truly the greatest story of sphincter-related malaise and punitive medicine that I have ever encountered. I do not expect anyone to top this story, but please try.

If you want to read about Bob in the original newsgroup post style, use the links below. Some additional follow-up information is also available through these links.
http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/bob.html
http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/bob_2.html

Now, show me yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I remember reading the story of Bob on Usenet 20 years ago.

It didn't get any easier.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Unsurprisingly, there's a channel on Youtube full of this. There's a good amount of plain old blackhead removal on Dr. Yadav's channel. Sure, that might be uncomfortable, but nothing too icky. Right?

HOW ABOUT SOME loving MAGGOTS IN YOUR EAR?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Subjunctive posted:

I remember reading the story of Bob on Usenet 20 years ago.

It didn't get any easier.

A true classic, to be sure.

Missing Name posted:

Unsurprisingly, there's a channel on Youtube full of this. There's a good amount of plain old blackhead removal on Dr. Yadav's channel. Sure, that might be uncomfortable, but nothing too icky. Right?

HOW ABOUT SOME loving MAGGOTS IN YOUR EAR?

Yeah, I recognize that guy's videos. That doctor is way into gross medical stuff, and says things like, "That's a beautiful cyst."

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

From a way back in the schadenfreude thread, it's the Black Salve story. A woman decides to go the 'natural route' by treating a small growth on her nose with something that sounds like it should be giving you +20 to Death Magic. With a little encouragement from an echo chamber of alternative medicine zealots, it ends even worse than you'd expect.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Saint Drogo posted:

From a way back in the schadenfreude thread, it's the Black Salve story. A woman decides to go the 'natural route' by treating a small growth on her nose with something that sounds like it should be giving you +20 to Death Magic. With a little encouragement from an echo chamber of alternative medicine zealots, it ends even worse than you'd expect.

She deleted most of the pictures, but here's one that survived. :barf:

Someone mirrored all the really gross ones on page 8 of that thread.
Here's the TL:DR as I'm reading.
Instead of having a real doctor treat the maybe-cancer in an outpatient appointment, she burned a hole through her nose and needed 3 plastic surgeries costing upwards of $30,000 to fix it.
And it turns out it probably wasn't cancer.
And it's fitting that they abbreviate "black salve" as "bs" :laugh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Missed a golden opportunity to cast her as Voldemort's little sister.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

canyoneer posted:

She deleted most of the pictures, but here's one that survived. :barf:

Someone mirrored all the really gross ones on page 8 of that thread.
Here's the TL:DR as I'm reading.
Instead of having a real doctor treat the maybe-cancer in an outpatient appointment, she burned a hole through her nose and needed 3 plastic surgeries costing upwards of $30,000 to fix it.
And it turns out it probably wasn't cancer.
And it's fitting that they abbreviate "black salve" as "bs" :laugh:

This is why I started this thread. I had forgotten about that lady. The whole story is just amazing, and the idiots all yelling, "Put on more salve! You know it works because you can feel it eating your nose off your face," are the best part.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
There was a story on SA about a guy with a small foot wound, that absolutely exploded when he decided to treat it with some ... odd stuff.
My memory is a bit off, but drat if the pictures weren't absolutely horrifying.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

at hostpital lost fingat post mote later.

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/gamecube-challenge-fingat/1/

(rip archives :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

shelper posted:

There was a story on SA about a guy with a small foot wound, that absolutely exploded when he decided to treat it with some ... odd stuff.
My memory is a bit off, but drat if the pictures weren't absolutely horrifying.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Are you thinking of BFC star Zaurg? IIRC he was in dire financial straits and decided to treat something on his foot (an ingrown wart?) at home with a blade and a bunch of over-the-counter black salve wannabes, rather than go see a doctor.

I can't find the thread right now but I believe it actually all ended up pretty positively, despite the increasingly large and gory hole Zaurg was cutting/burning into his foot.

ETA: Found the link but it looks like all the pics died with waffle images :-( also, Zaurg posted it under an alt, 'Random Human'.

Junius has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread