Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Agreeing on both these points. That said, I've never seen a show that had more than one swimsuit episode, so we're past the worst, I hope. But yeah, this is a pretty good fluff show to watch.

What about Free?

I watched a few episodes of this so far. It's a pretty dumb set up but it seems to be one of those shows that just works when it really shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like they're having some time/budget issues - the latest episode had a couple of very obvious 'INSERT ANIMATION HERE' screens. Luckily, they managed to ensure that it didn't harm the flow of the episode too much (this was nowhere near a Wizard Barristers-level disaster), but I hope they get back on track for next week.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I got caught up, I like it but it isn't going to be one of my all time favorites. It's a little too safe and the narrative doesn't strike me as compelling and strikes me as trying to have its cake and eating it; such as the scenes where they do seem to kinda socialize with the murdering psychopaths don't really work for me unless its a really subtle way of exploring how people with dissocial personality disorder can pretend to be friendly and charming.

I also like how Haru actually isn't entirely incompetent and can actually kinda defend herself but it swerves at 120 angles whenever they want her to be in danger instead of simply having her attempted murderers being sufficiently clever. Even if they're going the distance with Haru just really wanting to make friends she should at least be smart enough to never go places without her bodyguard.

I also like that there may be some nugget of an idea of Azuma maybe being a subtle yandere but that idea seems to be slowly dying.

This show very much seems to be inspired by Danganronpa, it almost hurts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've been watching, but I'm an episode behind because I don't have a Funi premium subscription.

Aside from the girl with that ridiculous immortality disease, this show is...not exactly realistic (it has teenage girl assassins and a conspiracy with seemingly unlimited resources, after all), but a lot more restrained than a lot of the obvious things to compare it to (like Crime Edge). Usually you'd expect all the assassins to basically have superpowers, but aside from Highlander girl they use pretty mundane methods (which they are sometimes explicitly not even very good at). Lack of silly superpowers means shorter fight scenes, which leaves more room for plot/characters. It's not what I expected, but it works well enough.

None of the characters have a ton of depth, but there is some effort put into making some of them sympathetic, and it generally works better than a lot of other series that try for sympathetic villains, like Index.

As to why they socialize with murderous psychopaths, Haru figures that if Azuma was redeemable, some of the others might be too. And to be fair, in Chitaru's case she was right. Also, when you're around murderous psychopaths all the time, you sort of get used to them. :v:

I actually don't think it's that much like Dangan Ronpa specifically; teenagers trying to kill each other as part of some warped game is basically an entire genre.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
It's a lot like Danganronpa but in a way where you can vaguely see each part of DR they liked and then deliberately changed around or tried to innovate from it; it goes beyond the initial premise and is more that the entire setup from the ground up takes inspiration.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Whoa there, Akuma no Riddle. Let's dial things back a notch from child snuff films, okay? I just wanted silly one-dimensional lesbians trying to kill each other.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

Whoa there, Akuma no Riddle. Let's dial things back a notch from child snuff films, okay? I just wanted silly one-dimensional lesbians trying to kill each other.

Oh no, is this thread gonna get gassed too now?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I kind of figured creepily-scarred split-personality girl where one is all scared and meek and the other is batshit psycho would have a hosed-up backstory. I'm not entirely sure what that was, mind, since it was there for like five seconds, but it looked sufficiently awful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, think they elaborated on that all they needed to.

I would have liked to have seen more of the other girl's two dads though. I feel like there's a potential comedy spinoff there.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 31, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

I kind of figured creepily-scarred split-personality girl where one is all scared and meek and the other is batshit psycho would have a hosed-up backstory. I'm not entirely sure what that was, mind, since it was there for like five seconds, but it looked sufficiently awful.

Yeah, you got a general impression that the most thoroughly hosed-up member of the cast had an appropriately hosed-up backstory, but they didn't linger on it overmuch or go into gratuitously explicit detail. By the standards of a schlocky exploitation-piece like ANR, it was almost tasteful.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
That episode was really entertaining and really dumb.
Hanabusa was really strong until Haru decided to slowly tug her over a guardrail at which point she was totally helpless.
Also for someone who believes in the power of friendship, Haru sure didn't hesitate when stomping on a cripple to make her fall off a building.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Hanabusa was really strong until Haru decided to slowly tug her over a guardrail at which point she was totally helpless.
Also for someone who believes in the power of friendship, Haru sure didn't hesitate when stomping on a cripple to make her fall off a building.

I think the strength was in her previous limbs, which is now a gun while her other arm was stuck on the guard rail and thus no leverage in order to be strong.

Haru doesn't believe in the power of friendship beyond reason, she really badly wants to be friends but at the same time quite reasonably doesn't want to die. I'm just more annoyed with her ping ponging between actually competent and holy poo poo don't go behind that door horror movie protagonist levels of dumb.

But I do like it when she's competent, its very refreshing and that was a cool scene. Tokaku for some reason never thought to grab an RPG, Haru did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Super-strong =/= super-heavy, as we saw when Tokaku dragged her under that glass screen. Guess hyper-advanced technology has its downsides after all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When did this show turn into Kill la Kill?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Or Deus Ex: HR...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That episode was hilarious. Suddenly, a Terminator out of nowhere.

I assume she'd just lost most of her cyber-power after all those grenades, so other than the ability to walk slowly and fingernail bullets she had pretty much nothing left.

Also, Haru is great when she's being a badass. It goes a long way towards explaining how she's survived, in addition to her ability to befriend people into laying down their lives for her.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 7, 2014

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The stuff about the queen and worker bees made me think Haru is maybe a lot more competent than she lets on and the moe klutz thing is an act to make Tokaku want to protect her.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

The stuff about the queen and worker bees made me think Haru is maybe a lot more competent than she lets on and the moe klutz thing is an act to make Tokaku want to protect her.

I could I think almost accept that sort of twist just so I have something to watch onto in the narrative. The only problem is Haru's interspersed moments of physical competence doesn't really justify it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I could I think almost accept that sort of twist just so I have something to watch onto in the narrative. The only problem is Haru's interspersed moments of physical competence doesn't really justify it.

Luckily they did not stretch for something like that, and they took the more formulaic but safer route of having a fake-fight now. I would have thought Haru would want to explain things a little better to Tokaku at some point before the revelations, but that would also prevent a tidy climax like this. Oh well.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I didn't care about most of the assassins. And the Romeo and Juliet episode was especially artificial and constructed feeling to me. But with the past three episode the series has recovered nicely. I can't wait for the last episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

UP AND ADAM posted:

Luckily they did not stretch for something like that, and they took the more formulaic but safer route of having a fake-fight now. I would have thought Haru would want to explain things a little better to Tokaku at some point before the revelations, but that would also prevent a tidy climax like this. Oh well.

Yeah, in the end they went the "she's maybe at worst doing this subconsciously" with Tokaku increasingly telegraphed as apparently deciding the best way to resolve her self doubts is to murder the cause of them. :v:

I'm not entirely sure of her logic there but Haru should really be making GBS threads bricks right about now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not entirely sure of her logic there but Haru should really be making GBS threads bricks right about now.

If she can kill Haru then she obviously wasn't being manipulated by her. :v: 'Course, by then it's too late.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I figure she is just making sure that haru is not just pretending to not know about it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is terribly paced and they seem to want me to care about these assassin girls despite not really giving me any loving backstory exposition, this gets worse as the anim goes on.

Also the reveal re: haru is loving dumb as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think that's the first time a happy ending has ever actually angered me, but that was the stupidest poo poo ever.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

thechosenone posted:

I figure she is just making sure that haru is not just pretending to not know about it.

Seemed to be pretty much this, its kinda dumb as endings go, I think a sad ending would've been more narratively consistent. Or at least a bittersweet one. Having pretty much all of the assassins survive was very much the definition of meh.

Maybe if it was 2-cours that ending could have been better justified.

Still somewhat impressed by Haru turning out to be the smart one in the end.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah, definitely a kind of weak ending. Still, the ride was fun enough.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That was...very silly.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
These assassins are all terrible at their jobs. No wonder they were sent to a high school to keep them out of the way.

Even their poison is barely lethal, it acts slow enough that they can survive waiting for an ambulance to take them to a hospital for treatment without permanent damage.

It would have been a downer, but cutting off the anime with Tokaku crying after the ambulance leaves would have been a much better work. Maybe letting Haru survive the same way she did, maybe even showing the girls we know survived.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Desuwa posted:

These assassins are all terrible at their jobs. No wonder they were sent to a high school to keep them out of the way.

Even their poison is barely lethal, it acts slow enough that they can survive waiting for an ambulance to take them to a hospital for treatment without permanent damage.

It would have been a downer, but cutting off the anime with Tokaku crying after the ambulance leaves would have been a much better work. Maybe letting Haru survive the same way she did, maybe even showing the girls we know survived.

Yeah, it would have been better to keep it a mystery as to what happens when you're "expelled" (with the exception of serial killer girl), I mean I'm okay with Haru surviving, its pretty obvious she's survived all sorts of attempts on her life, but c'mon that was a really hosed up encounter but when you write something that's grimdark like that you need to commit to it and follow through; instead of a montage of every girl surviving it should have been a scene of Haru and Tokaku trying to come to terms of what happened. Haru clearly did try to kill Tokaku in self defence and Tokaku genuinely tried to kill Haru using logic from the Salem Witch trials.

Should've been written by Gen Urubuchi probably.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Can someone please explain to me why the gently caress Haru ran herself into Tokaku's knife after having just barely survived her last assassination attempt?

This story was actually somewhat interesting, and then it got very stupid, and then it got boring. I was telling my daughter about this anime. It's not great, but it's interesting. Up until episode 11 when Tokaku turns on Haru at the very last moment. I was on pins and needles to find out what happened in episode 12.

It wasn't worth the wait. Watching all 11 episodes isn't worth what happens in the 12th.

What a waste.

Also, it would've been far better if most of the girls who failed died. Maybe two or three could survive like the one with the two male parents (mommy and daddy). She was great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dan7el posted:

Can someone please explain to me why the gently caress Haru ran herself into Tokaku's knife after having just barely survived her last assassination attempt?

Presumably it was either that or sit there and let Tokaku kill her. Everything about the last episode was stupid, at least show the fallout of Tokaku actually killing her if not for random chance, make Haru go WTF or you know something.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Biggest wasted potential of the season. I had my hopes up after the meh middle episodes, but it just made the disappointment bigger.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

She was trying to kill Tokaku in self defense, you can see Tokaku had managed to grab the knife and stop her.

NTRKouhai
Apr 25, 2014

TL Note: Keikaku means Moo

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Biggest wasted potential of the season. I had my hopes up after the meh middle episodes, but it just made the disappointment bigger.

Pretty much this. When you have an anime about Assassins, YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO ACTUALLY DIE. Ugh. I'd give this show a 6/10 and that's being generous. Kinda interesting, but not interesting enough for praise and remembering.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I maintain that this was shoddily paced and probably needed to have double the episodes

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Sakurazuka posted:

I think that's the first time a happy ending has ever actually angered me, but that was the stupidest poo poo ever.

I'm not angry about it because I'm a big baby who hates downer endings and would've been pretty bummed if Haru died at the end, but drat that really is astoundingly stupid. A dumb ending is a little fitting for a dumb, trashy schlock show, I suppose, but the rest wasn't so :geno: about it.

I mean I'm a big idiot and there's a part of me that has a dumb lizard brain "oh, everyone gets to be happy in the end, that's nice :)" reaction to the ending but they at least could have done the slightest thing to make it feel earned. Let some of the dead assassins stay dead and shorten up the epilogue to make time for a big dramatic revival or something, anything. As it stands I'm half-convinced that whole ending sequence has to be some kind of fake-out.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well I randomly decided to watch through this and

Sakurazuka posted:

yeah, pretty much.

At first I thought things were going to go full crazy and Tokaku asked for reconstructive surgery so she can make sure Haru graduates in some form, but nope, super happy ending. Okay then.

• Locked thread