Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
So I'm getting married next year in February 12 in Myanmar and then planning on going honeymooning in Thailand starting February 14. Needing some advice on places to go, things to see. Just starting the planning stage so duration is fairly flexible, somewhere around 2-3 weeks would be great. We are both more interested in cultural, nature, history, food, sightseeing stuff over things like partying/ladyboys/nightlife or sporty stuff like skydiving, surfing, wakeboarding, etc.

So far this is what I'm thinking:

Start in Bangkok, maybe 4-5 nights just exploring, random sightseeing, cultural and historic stuff.

Fly up north to Chiang Mai, maybe 3 nights, more cultural/historic stuff, nature stuff, elephant tour, etc.

Fly south to Phuket, 4 nights, beach/relaxing mainly. Stay in a flash 5 star resort, need recommendations.

Ferry over to a random island for a 2 or 3 nights. Thinking something secluded and quiet, not touristy. Simple activities like kayaking/canoeing and bicycling around? Maybe I could tie this in with daytrips or something from Phuket? I don't really know

Anyone help with recommendations, critiques, must see or do's from my rough outline?

Also, I told my fiance that I would look after everything and that I won't tell her what we are doing so it is a surprise. I had one idea about heading somewhere else after the Thailand trip for 3 or 4 nights as a surprise, but it needs to be somewhere that she can get rock up and get a tourist visa without pre-applying (so that she isn't in on the secret), which may be difficult as she has a Myanmar passport. I thought about the Maldives, but it is hideously expensive there ($1000USD/night for the fancy places). Also, we will be heading back to Australia afterwards. Prefer something not too far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
4-5 nights in Bangkok is a lot when you've got limited time, but I highly recommend the Ariyasomvilla if you do. It's an oasis.

I would recommend adding Ko Lanta to your list. While not my favorite island destination (that goes to El Nido), it's pretty, peaceful and beautiful. It's a little bit of a pain to get to; you have to fly into Krabi, get a cab to a ferry and then to a second ferry. Do you dive? It's also the closest island to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng, which are two of the better sites in Thailand.

Make sure you stay off Patong in Phuket.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's a SEA travel thread. Lots of advice and info.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
There is a great show near Bangkok called Siam Niramit. It includes an evening meal, an outdoor pre-show event and finally the famous stage production.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Given your interests, have you considered Cambodia instead? Or doing a southern Thailand plus Siem Reap trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Have you considered changing spouses?

Stay at The Oriental in Bangkok. Do your poshy poshy stuff there.

Don't stay in Phuket. Any of the nearby beach towns or islands would be way better unless your idea of a Thai honeymoon is a big kind of crappy hotel full of Russians and Germans. These smaller places each have at least one very nice resort on them.

From Chiang Mai take a short flight to Mae Hong Son and do a hilltribe tour. Unless you're marrying a hilltribe girl I guess.

Angkor is a must see for you. Because she's from Myanmar she may be more interested in seeing someone like Hong Kong though.

Visas will be a big issue for her. Sort that out early.

Post your request in the SE Asia megathread. Lots of people have it bookmarked on their phone and you'll get a lot of advice.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread