Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Tried Tier 5 battles. afaik every game is realistic mode (one life per ship) and the general damage output is extremely high, so one mistake will cost. At first I didn't realize that even frigates would use Emergency Barrier, but it seems to be the norm.

The battle is pretty boring though. With limited spawn everyone will try to engage at mid~long range shootout, and that could go on for long time until one side loses a player or two. Since there aren't enough players per team, losing players will widen the difference in strength so it will snowball from there. Also it's a long way to grind 4 of Tier 5 ships to full synergy and at least Mk.2 modules. But from what I've seen, it looks like it's 'Mk.4 or get killed'.

To sum up, Tier 4 and 5 battles are for privileged few who spent long time grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You mean skirmish pvp? Unless they changed something major, it should have the same game modes as the other tiers. The only mode with one life per ship is Capture the beacons and as far as I know that is only available in Sector Conquest.

Anyway, heed my advice and don't bother with anything beyond T3.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Mr. Neutron posted:

You mean skirmish pvp? Unless they changed something major, it should have the same game modes as the other tiers. The only mode with one life per ship is Capture the beacons and as far as I know that is only available in Sector Conquest.

Anyway, heed my advice and don't bother with anything beyond T3.

Sector Conquest. But seriously, even T3 is no fun. I think T2 is where the fun is at.

e: Also calling T5 ECM bullshit. Permanently shutdown a single ship it's seriously disgusting.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 15, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Patch 1.0.1.

Added crews so you can assign different implant set to different ship, for 2,000 GS per crew :v:
Increased T5 premium ship price to 11,990 GS (was 9,950) :v:

Gaijin showing its true colour with Star Conflict as well heh. At least people play War Thunder because it's decent enough.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Huh, those crews cannot be bought for credits? That's a change in a very bad direction :(

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Mr. Neutron posted:

Huh, those crews cannot be bought for credits? That's a change in a very bad direction :(

Yeah, also previously they changed boosters so that you could only buy either 1 credit and 1 GS boosters (instead of 2 different credit boosters), and now this.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Update 1.0.2. With introduction of crews the there's a bug in which the implants may be selected at random for Skirmish, Custom Battles or PvE. However they work without any bug in Sector Conquest or Invasion though.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So this game has gotten good? I the funnest thing I remember about the first version I played was typing "How sel ship!1" in global chat.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hagop posted:

So this game has gotten good? I the funnest thing I remember about the first version I played was typing "How sel ship!1" in global chat.

You can sell ships now. It's just that resell value is horrible so not recommended, and you will lose Synergy bonus if you sell a full Synergy ship (You get 1% per full synergy ship you own).

Game's not bad up to Tier 2. But then it becomes a slow grind fest starting from T3 onward. Main problem with T3+ is that casual players won't be able to catch up with hardcore players who have grinded and fitted all the ships they use per tier with Mk.4 (or even Mk.5) modules. There's difference in performance so you won't get full performance from the ship you fitted, nor be able to fight on equal terms. They do more damage because of higher damage weapon and your lower resistance, and they will repair more at faster rate. Your control has to be way better, and you have to finish them off before they get another chance to use their modules. So most players are giving up T4 and above and just concentrating on getting Mk.4 modules for T2 and T3 ships they use. Some are even giving up T3 because you sometimes get full Mk.4 squad sync queue. So they seem to be dropping down to T2 occasionally as well. Also the problem with T4 is that they now get dragged to T5 games because of lack of people queuing for T4 and T5, so even more players are giving up T4.

I'm currently playing T5 Sector Conquest and I find it hard to fight against corporations that bring full squad of people with full Mk.4 modules. Team work is one thing, but the performance difference is very big as well. Even using same build you won't be able to survive while they can, not that anyone should because their builds are built around team synergy anyway.

TLDR: If you're gonna play but not seriously, stop at Rank 6 (Tier 2). That's where the fun is currently at. Game's good enough to play at T2.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Aesis posted:

TLDR: If you're gonna play but not seriously, stop at Rank 6 (Tier 2). That's where the fun is currently at. Game's good enough to play at T2.

I second this. I started out trying to get up to T3 as fast as possible but it got really irritating to work on T3/R8, so I went back to the lower ranks to max out my fleet strength before picking up the T3 again, so at least the max synergy bonuses will help with the grind.

I've even built a spreadsheet to keep up with my progress and help me decide which ships to focus on, so I'm using my time most efficiently.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Problem with T2 is that you don't have the full range of modules available. I played without a license comfortably in T3 but that was a year ago, perhaps it changed for the worse since? I farmed PvE rather heavily though.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

ickna posted:

I've even built a spreadsheet to keep up with my progress and help me decide which ships to focus on, so I'm using my time most efficiently.

So what I am taking from this is that I should not just pick 3 ship types and roll with them, but try and level everything up? Because that goes against everything I know about F2P vehicle combat games.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Hagop posted:

So what I am taking from this is that I should not just pick 3 ship types and roll with them, but try and level everything up? Because that goes against everything I know about F2P vehicle combat games.

Yes. For each ship you max out, you get a 1% payout bonus on exp in any battle. The lower rank ships are easy to grind and teach you how to play well in the process, so once you get up into the higher levels you'll be making more rewards and better equipped to take on the whales who have been playing for a year.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You get 1% Synergy bonus per full synergy ship you own (Don't sell them). So by getting all T1 and T2 ships to full synergy you get something like 33% Synergy boost per battle (not counting premium ships.) And they're relatively easy to get synergy up, so it is recommended you get them all up first.

Also T4-T5 ships 50% off this weekend. I recommend grinding for Rank 14-15 ships (or buy prem ships) if you're serious about T5 battles. For PvP frigate I seriously recommend Mauler as you can do crazy stuff with glass cannon builds. Couple T5 prem ships are decent enough as well. Just lacks role related bonus in all cases, and slot layout may not be optimal though.

Edit: Following T5 prem ships are good to buy if you're serious about T5 game plays. And no, don't waste money on T4.

Spark (Empire Gunship)
25% damage bonus (15% is the norm) and 30 hull TH resist. Lacks shield slot but can be built for damage and tank. I'd say it's slightly better than its non-premium counterpart Lightbringer.

Mauler (Jericho Long Range)
35% hull/shield hp bonus makes this more sturdy than any other LRF, while its unique 20% crit damage bonus makes it an insane damage dealer when built for crit chance. Normally used as a laser boat (Beam Cannon), this beast can be built to deal damage from 6-7km while hitting so hard even Frigates melt. Can be hard to use because enemy will almost always try to destroy a Mauler when present.

Berserker (Empire Recon)
25% crit chance bonus (15% is the norm) and 30 hull TH resist. If you want an hard hitting Recon that's solid enough then this is for you. However it is slow (All Empire Interceptors are.) so I wouldn't recommend this unless you can get a team with good build and composition. Also lacks Recon bonus compared to Jarl or Spectre Falcon, so if you want to use Recon as a utility Interceptor (scout/harass/capture) then this is not for you.

Note that lacking Shield slot means you won't be able to benefit from Adaptive Shield when afterburning, but since all special modules deal TH damage having extra 30 TH resist can be better. Might see a big boost in T5 queue as people seem to be buying Spark and Berserker mainly.

Gotta go on spending spree :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So they added this excursion-like feature which you send off couple of ships through mercenary contract and get reward (or fail) after hours~days. Pretty decent feature if you don't play the game much but have many ships lying around. Gives you credit and resources.

• Locked thread