Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DrManiac posted:

Ellie didn't seem like she really cared (the smile never really left her face) about the hosed up creepy stuff Adam did. I'd imagine someone awkward enough to be in a group like like would latch on to anything they got even if it's a greasy nerd.

I think the part I like least in the show is the day after the confrontation where it's pretty clear the catfish(er?) had been coached to appear more sympathetic. That's when the dumb rear end sob stories come out. Like, the nerd linger when from "I had cyber sex with you for years yet I'm the mastermind somehow :troll:" to "I did it because I in looove". Just let me hate the unrepentant shithead.

This might be for the sake of Nev and crew. In the Antwane/Tony episode he started really chewing out the cousin before being yelled at himself. "You're sabotaging your own show! You really want to make fun of how people talk? Get in there and listen to her side of it!" So, they have probably been instructed to be calm and try to make the catfish sympathetic enough so they can keep their sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I heard that an actress from Rent was going to be on this show and it reminded me of a segment from This American Life.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/155/hoaxing-yourself

Act 3

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrManiac posted:

I think the part I like least in the show is the day after the confrontation where it's pretty clear the catfish(er?) had been coached to appear more sympathetic. That's when the dumb rear end sob stories come out. Like, the nerd linger when from "I had cyber sex with you for years yet I'm the mastermind somehow :troll:" to "I did it because I in looove". Just let me hate the unrepentant shithead.

They seem to do that for almost every episode. The only exception I can think of is the Slow Clapping Neckbeard and those guys turned out to have staged the entire thing anyway, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Some Catfish tales are too dark for television

I want to see all of these :unsmigghh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight's episode: This girl Solana met this guy Elijah on MySpace when she was 14. He deleted his MySpace and they fell out of contact. Then he messaged her on Facebook a couple years later out of the blue, but she's not even sure if it's really him. They've never once video chatted in all the years they've known each other. Now she's dating someone else but wants to find out if he's real.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 18, 2014

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described
When I saw the promos for tonight's episode, I kept thinking why bother? Dude has such a case of crazy eyes... plus you're already involved, lady! Unless she just wants to renew a cool friendship.

Texting app... no real phone... sounds like kik or the google SMS thingy or something similar. Can't wait to see when it turns out to be one of her friends or whatever behind the resurfacing of Crazy Eyelijah.

Agreed.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
I'm still not convinced that Elijah wasn't just Joshua with a bad wig.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I loved when Solana was whispering "We're all gonna die :shobon: " while they were waiting for Elijah to come out and meet them.

Also Elijah's hair is incredibly douchey. And why does he still look like a scene kid in 2014? And that matching tattoo idea is so loving stupid.

My DVR cut off right as she started to read her journal entry, which was a bummer. What did I miss at the end? I'm recording the next rerun of it but I still wanna know what she did. I reeeeeeally wanted her to just go back home and be with Danny and let Elijah go.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Just pointing out that I've been catfished, probably a dozen times. Each time was terrible, but that's what I get for looking for love on the interwebs.

I feel so bad for these people.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

Just pointing out that I've been catfished, probably a dozen times. Each time was terrible, but that's what I get for looking for love on the interwebs.

Haven't you done it enough to have made an ask/tell thread about meeting people on the internet once? That just comes with the territory, at least you never got robbed and murdered?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I loved when Solana was whispering "We're all gonna die :shobon: " while they were waiting for Elijah to come out and meet them.

Also Elijah's hair is incredibly douchey. And why does he still look like a scene kid in 2014? And that matching tattoo idea is so loving stupid.

My DVR cut off right as she started to read her journal entry, which was a bummer. What did I miss at the end? I'm recording the next rerun of it but I still wanna know what she did. I reeeeeeally wanted her to just go back home and be with Danny and let Elijah go.

She said at the end of the journal entry that the one she was in love with was Danny, but Elijah would always be in her life or some poo poo. My DVR cut off too before the epilogue though and didn't pick up until the "Chatfish" after show started.

I still refuse to believe that that was the dude's actual hair. Just can't be.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 19, 2014

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

raditts posted:

Haven't you done it enough to have made an ask/tell thread about meeting people on the internet once? That just comes with the territory, at least you never got robbed and murdered?

She said at the end of the journal entry that the one she was in love with was Danny, but Elijah would always be in her life or some poo poo. My DVR cut off too before the epilogue though and didn't pick up until the "Chatfish" after show started.

I still refuse to believe that that was the dude's actual hair. Just can't be.

Yes, but I also married someone I met on the internet and have a six month old child with her.

Most of my "catfish" stories were towards the beginning, the crazy stories weren't being catfished

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pillowpants posted:

Can't tell if serious, 12 times ?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm watching the recording of the "Chatfish" after show. Apparently when she went back home she and her boyfriend went to the courthouse and got married, so I guess that's how it ended.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

I'm watching the recording of the "Chatfish" after show. Apparently when she went back home she and her boyfriend went to the courthouse and got married, so I guess that's how it ended.
Well at least she didn't end up with Elijah!

Pillowpants posted:

After the first or second time, you didn't think to stop? :confused:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Well at least she didn't end up with Elijah!
After the first or second time, you didn't think to stop? :confused:

I have a really low voice and I don't drink, so bars were out. I figured the internet would work eventually. As far as the numbers of catfish, there was the girl who turned out not to exist, two girls who lied about ages, the bored popular girl, the lesbian, and thats all I got off the top of my head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That episode was pure undistilled MySpace. I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't filmed 8 years ago.

(I got catfished by a "scene girl" in late 2004/early 2005 on MySpace, during a period of time when I basically did nothing for 6 months but drink, smoke, work, cry, and sleep with random girls because of the worst breakup of my life. I also don't remember most of those 6 months, honestly. She was real and everything, she was just a lot younger and a lot more insane than she claimed. Weirdest part of it is that she also catfished herself a best female friend, who became one of my best friends when we both found out how crazy the MySpace girl was)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha, to honor Solana and Elijah's matching tattoos, Nev and Max got their own matching tattoos:

Nev got a cat and Max got a fish :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They're temporary tattoos :ssh:
They showed them on the after show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahh, I didn't catch the aftershow. My DVR cut off the first airing so I recorded the rerun and saw the last few minutes of the episode but they didn't play the aftershow after the rerun.

I set my DVR to stop recording Catfish 5 minutes after it's supposed to end so this doesn't happen again because this isn't the first time that's happened. Catfish seems to be the only show that happens with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nev and Max are the best personalities MTV has produced in like, forever. Probably since Dave Kendall.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So tonight's episode...was that the first time they've never actually met the catfish face to face? They Skyped with the catfish but that was it.

And what happened between the two a month after the non-meeting was...interesting :stare: I mean I guess it's not all that weird, but that rarely/never happens on this show.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

So tonight's episode...was that the first time they've never actually met the catfish face to face? They Skyped with the catfish but that was it.

And what happened between the two a month after the non-meeting was...interesting :stare: I mean I guess it's not all that weird, but that rarely/never happens on this show.

I still met someone after I found out they were lying about small things, but gender and age are pretty huge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How do you accidentally friend request someone on Facebook? Adding someone with the same name as the person you meant to send the friend request to?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

How do you accidentally friend request someone on Facebook? Adding someone with the same name as the person you meant to send the friend request to?

I'm pretty sure the answer is "you don't." More importantly, who are these people that blindly accept Facebook requests from people? I don't even accept all of them from people I do know.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The woman from this last episode was uniquely unlikeable.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poo poo, there was a new episode tonight, wasn't there? My DVR didn't record it :smith: Hopefully they'll put it online tomorrow.

And then there's another new one tomorrow night! It's a 2-night season finale.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Season finale airs in 1 hour! And there's a Chatfish after-show following the episode as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Last nights episode made me so angry. Why would you gently caress people over and then play the victim game.

• Locked thread