Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

also not having played the game, I'm guessing there are many sexualized characters who are sexualized in the same very specific way.

quote:

Captains, we previously announced that we’ll send Steam keys for the corresponding Age of Water editions to those players who purchased CBT access packs in the summer of 2023.

hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Len posted:

Man why did the PS2 era think subtitles weren't important

I'm actually really curious why it has become so much more common to have subtitles on in your first language. I do it too but never used to and never had issues. I started doing it watching DVDs with commentary tracks and don't think I ever stopped.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I use subtitles because I've had a lovely audio setup for the last decade, and no I do not plan on changing that :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm actually really curious why it has become so much more common to have subtitles on in your first language. I do it too but never used to and never had issues. I started doing it watching DVDs with commentary tracks and don't think I ever stopped.

Audio mixing sucks rear end nowadays

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think it was always questionable but people just sucked it up if they missed half the lines. I remember Halo 3 having no subtitle option and sure it's not a dialogue heavy game but it did mean some of the Gravemind's lines are borderline impossible to understand within the actual game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Muscle Tracer posted:

also not having played the game, I'm guessing there are many sexualized characters who are sexualized in the same very specific way.

I've seen some videos of the game here and there, and I guess the art team like athletic ladies in tank tops and tight pants? v:confused:v

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I've seen some videos of the game here and there, and I guess the art team like athletic ladies in tank tops and tight pants? v:confused:v

Hell,

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To be fair, ZeusCannon doesn't seem to have a problem with it as per their post, they're just noting that the art team seems to keep going back to it, which might seem a little monotonous, I suppose. Still, there's a whole lot of other characters of various genders, skin tones and body shapes, so I don't think there's much to worry about.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm fairly used to having them on from a good friend with audio processing issues + my mother being partially deaf. That said, I often keep them off nowadays because they can be distracting which is its own form of impediment (I have ADHD) or they have this issue:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, ZeusCannon doesn't seem to have a problem with it as per their post, they're just noting that the art team seems to keep going back to it, which might seem a little monotonous, I suppose. Still, there's a whole lot of other characters of various genders, skin tones and body shapes, so I don't think there's much to worry about.

This is correct. It's not bad it's just noticeable to me and i wanted to complain.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Rimworld:

What the gently caress

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

JackSplater posted:

Rimworld:

What the gently caress

:thatsprocgen:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

JackSplater posted:

Rimworld:

What the gently caress

This is the game that had a load of :biotruths: in it right? Like women being all either gay or bi, with men being either 100% straight or 100% gay? And male colonists would get mad at being turned down by gay women for sex but would keep doing it and accumulating debuffs?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Fil5000 posted:

This is the game that had a load of :biotruths: in it right? Like women being all either gay or bi, with men being either 100% straight or 100% gay? And male colonists would get mad at being turned down by gay women for sex but would keep doing it and accumulating debuffs?

Unfortunately, yes. I remembered that when this popped up.
EDIT: After putting in more effort than I should have, neither the first name Black or the last name Crimenol exist in any of the names files. So it's not procgen, and it's not a custom insert name. Might be added by one of the mods I have installed.
EDIT 2: None of my installed mods change names. I have no idea where this name came from.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

System Shock Remake: I wish the game didn't spawn new enemies until you at least unlock the first respawn bay. I just remembered I only beat the sequel by using the community patch that disabled stupid poo poo like this and weapon durability.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JackSplater posted:

Rimworld:

What the gently caress

Guest Writer: JK Rowling

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

credburn posted:

There's one particular battle, like the penultimate one or something, that took me forty minutes because of all the monsters, and also everyone had that canned-summon-monster thing. So like eight of us, plus eight summoned monsters, fighting an army, who also is summoning monsters. It really made it feel epic as gently caress though.

I had a 25 minute long fight last night but it was mostly because every single enemy I was fighting was a caster so I had to sit through the spell effect animations and certain spells/attacks seem to take forever to actually move to the next character's action. It does make fights seem epic, I just wish there was a way to speed up the actual actions just a bit. Still mostly loving the game despite the combat slowness, there's just nothing like the 90s dungeon crawlers that came out past Wizardry 8 that I've played tho some of the newer games like Grimrock are still very fun.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I had a battle in Jagged Alliance 3 that took three times longer than it needed to because it was a huge battle with tons of people on both sides, but unfortunately one of my computer-controlled allies was stationed near a guard tower on the far side of the map where there was no action to be seen. So every single turn one guy would slowly climb the entire guard tower, and then go into guarding... then the next turn he'd slowly climb all the way down the tower and guard. And the next turn he'd slowly climb back up. He did this the entire battle.

edit: I see Sea of Thieves seems to be getting popular again for some reason. I didn't check this out the last time it was relevant. I thought about giving it a go this time, but as soon as I check out the thread, I read that there's a "double XP weekend" event going on or something. That absolutely removes any interest I have in the game. I'm just not going to play with real life timeframes to maximize my xp gain, I can't imagine any way to more quickly utterly kill my interest in a game than setting up poo poo like that.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Apr 16, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

IIRC he just plopped the sexual orientation charts published by okcupid into the game

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just started Pokemon Arceus and this must be a common complaint with Pokemon games but it's so. loving. slow. to get to the good part of the game. I get that there's an introduction to the world and they have to set up the story and all that but gently caress me, are the animations in particular making it a drag. Every other sentence has to be interrupted with a slow as gently caress animation that take forever, often multiple in a row.

"Blabla bla."
My character takes three seconds to nod.
"Blablabla"
The characters take 4 seconds to awkwardly turn towards a building we have to go to and turn back.
"Blablabla"
The characters take several seconds to awkwardly run towards the building. Another 5 seconds for the door to be opened. Another 5 seconds to show them walking into the building. 5 seconds for the camera to move around unnecessarily to show the room they're in now.
"Blablabla"
The characters take 5 seconds to move into another room and meet another character.
"Blablabla"
Third character takes 3 seconds to move center of frame, 2 seconds to turn, 3 seconds to walk towards the two main characters.
"Blablabla"
My character takes three seconds to nod again.

And so on and so on.
It's been like loving 20 minutes and I haven't even chosen my starter yet. At this point I'm just spamming through the dialogue because I don't care anymore.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Far Cry: New Dawn has that bullshit where everyone in the outpost dies pretty reliably with a face full of shotgun except the very last guy, the boss of the outpost or whatever, who takes seven face fulls of shotgun and loses all of twenty percent of his health are-you-loving-kidding-me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This is annoying me in Palworld but it's annoyed me in plenty of games: stop hiding my goddamn HUD. It's not immersive for my HUD to go away when you think I don't need it. It just means now I've gotta do a roll or switch weapons to make it come up again when I want information on it. I loving hate minimal UIs. Don't clutter my screen, but give me the loving info. If you think some players might want something more minimal then give them a manual toggle.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

Far Cry: New Dawn has that bullshit where everyone in the outpost dies pretty reliably with a face full of shotgun except the very last guy, the boss of the outpost or whatever, who takes seven face fulls of shotgun and loses all of twenty percent of his health are-you-loving-kidding-me.

How do you think he became the boss of the outpost

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Morpheus posted:

How do you think he became the boss of the outpost

Nepo baby. His parents were also immune to gunfire.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sins is a Dark Souls game, so I am enjoying it. It's long, a lot of the bosses aren't memorable, honestly a lot of them are easier than any two other enemies. But the thing dragging this down, and SotFS specifically as I understand it, is the loving Fragrant Branch of Yore.

Imagine you are playing a Zelda game, and you have those "small keys" (Fragrant Branches) that every dungeon has a few of. But instead of being dungeon-specific, they are potentially usable anywhere in the world, and findable almost anywhere in the world. There are 15 doors that can be unlocked with these keys, and where the doors are has absolutely no relation to where the keys are. Sometimes, the door unlocks an entire new area of the game, sometimes with several sub-areas behind it. Other times, the door is just a thwomp who tries to attack you, and reveals nothing. But most often, the door just stays shut because you don't have one of the keys on you because you just unlocked a Thwomp, so you can't pass it, and you have absolutely no clue where to find another one of these loving keys. Progress denied!

Extra grating because these aren't "doors," they are people who have been turned to stone. It is well-established that your character is capable of chopping stone statues in half, and often there is clearly enough space around them to just walk by, but nope: "a statue blocks your path." There's not a good lore reason why they're there, there's not any even remotely engaging gameplay to opening the passage, it's just, "Well, I guess I'll backtrack, and hope to gently caress I can remember where this is next time I find a Fragrant Branch, and hope doubly that it's not just another loving trash enemy waste of time."

But worst of all, my understanding from the wiki page on these is that in the original game there were like 4 of these statues, and in SotFS they decided to add a shitload more, blocking you off from making progress. This feels like the kind of mechanic that would be REMOVED in a director's cut as an obviously bad, half-thought-out, unengaging waste of time, not ADDED IN as a missing feature.

Big yikes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sins is a Dark Souls game, so I am enjoying it. It's long, a lot of the bosses aren't memorable, honestly a lot of them are easier than any two other enemies. But the thing dragging this down, and SotFS specifically as I understand it, is the loving Fragrant Branch of Yore.

Imagine you are playing a Zelda game, and you have those "small keys" (Fragrant Branches) that every dungeon has a few of. But instead of being dungeon-specific, they are potentially usable anywhere in the world, and findable almost anywhere in the world. There are 15 doors that can be unlocked with these keys, and where the doors are has absolutely no relation to where the keys are. Sometimes, the door unlocks an entire new area of the game, sometimes with several sub-areas behind it. Other times, the door is just a thwomp who tries to attack you, and reveals nothing. But most often, the door just stays shut because you don't have one of the keys on you because you just unlocked a Thwomp, so you can't pass it, and you have absolutely no clue where to find another one of these loving keys. Progress denied!

Extra grating because these aren't "doors," they are people who have been turned to stone. It is well-established that your character is capable of chopping stone statues in half, and often there is clearly enough space around them to just walk by, but nope: "a statue blocks your path." There's not a good lore reason why they're there, there's not any even remotely engaging gameplay to opening the passage, it's just, "Well, I guess I'll backtrack, and hope to gently caress I can remember where this is next time I find a Fragrant Branch, and hope doubly that it's not just another loving trash enemy waste of time."

But worst of all, my understanding from the wiki page on these is that in the original game there were like 4 of these statues, and in SotFS they decided to add a shitload more, blocking you off from making progress. This feels like the kind of mechanic that would be REMOVED in a director's cut as an obviously bad, half-thought-out, unengaging waste of time, not ADDED IN as a missing feature.

Big yikes.

Yeah, SotFS basically turned everything up. More petrification, more enemies, more invaders. Some of it works, some of it (Iron Keep) just becomes way more of a chore than it already was.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Did SotFS change the Shrine of Winter? It's really bizarre in the original.

So to get to the castle, you go on this path. Oh, wait, can't go any further because of a knee-high broken wall. Ok, there's a path up and around it, clearly a "desire path", not a road/path intentionally made. It goes up and around and then into the Shrine, which you can't unlock without some boss souls (or maybe if your total souls collected was high enough? Soul Memory, I think it was called? Hidden stat)

Alright, even if we ignore the absurdly tiny wall blocking progress...this all-important "shrine" was NEVER on the main road? Like...just trying to thin of the logic behind where it was.

Dark Souls Contractor: Ok, Mr. Drangleic, I built this here wall to stop anyone from getting in yer castle.
Mr.Drangleic: Perfect. I love that's it's so small, you saved me a butt load on materials. Surely no one will ever learn to jump, climb, or take an overly large step.
But what if they just walk around it, though?
DSC: Oh yeah, I thought of that. If they go up and around over there, they'll be in this here Shrine. Shrine won't open without some really cool souls.
Mr.D: Huh...ok, why not put the shrine on the main road and just get rid of the wall? It's a nice shrine, it'd be a shame most people won't see it.
DSC: Look, do I tell you how to do your job? Huh? Did I criticize you for marrying the living embodiment of a fragment of the soul of Manus after it achieved consciousness? Did I?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Big yikes.

There's exactly two petrified people who block a critical path. (And actually I'm not 100% sure on one of them because their area's flow got changed in Scholar.) Everything else is bonus goodies or non-critical areas. And there's also exactly one completely pointless (and redundant) petrified enemy. All the others either directly drop loot or give you access to a location that would otherwise be inaccessible.

There IS a critical flaw with the fragrant branches, and it's how there's a static baseline supply exactly equal to the number of petrified folks with a few of them "refunded" after spending one, which creates an opening to lock yourself out of stuff if you do it in the wrong order. Though even then there's ways to get more and the game is engineered so that you simply can't expend all of your branches before the one critical path one.

And at the end of the day is it really any worse than illusory walls?

Edit: And in fact right next to fragrant branches you have Pharros stones which are broadly rarer, do more arbitrary things, and there are far, far less in the game than mechanisms to spend them on because they're connected to a covenant that you're supposed to farm more from. 85% of those mechanisms are unimportant in PvE, in fact actually sometimes making areas harder due to the covenant gimmick, but you won't know that as a first time player.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It goes up and around and then into the Shrine, which you can't unlock without some boss souls (or maybe if your total souls collected was high enough? Soul Memory, I think it was called? Hidden stat)

This is the tiniest of nitpicks but soul memory is actually listed right there in your stats menu. Takes 1 mil to skip the major bosses.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Apr 17, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SotFS is a Kaizo hack that somehow got released as a full game. Every flat surface needs fifteen more enemies and probably another invader, let’s do this poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's the reputation it has but it's only really true in a few specific spots.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

John Murdoch posted:

But wasn't one of those spots that place in Iron Keep that already was a slog to get through because of the knights that all have MASSIVE line of sight towards you? And now there's more of them?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Iron keep in SotFS is like half a dozen invasions on the first bridge, 4 dozen Alonne knights before Smelter Demon.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah , I really don't get where that comes from, it's a decent game it just suffers from the same issues as all the other FromSoft games, I struggle to think of any that are unique to it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like Dark Souls 2 the most but Iron Keep sucks in both versions. SotFS biggest issue for the area is that the aggro range is about 5000 miles for every enemy there for no reason.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Scholar changed the chest that holds the soul/hp ring, no idea where it is now but it's not in the Tower of Flame anymore so gently caress Scholar

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did SotFS change the Shrine of Winter? It's really bizarre in the original.

So to get to the castle, you go on this path. Oh, wait, can't go any further because of a knee-high broken wall. Ok, there's a path up and around it, clearly a "desire path", not a road/path intentionally made. It goes up and around and then into the Shrine, which you can't unlock without some boss souls (or maybe if your total souls collected was high enough? Soul Memory, I think it was called? Hidden stat)

Alright, even if we ignore the absurdly tiny wall blocking progress...this all-important "shrine" was NEVER on the main road? Like...just trying to thin of the logic behind where it was.

Dark Souls Contractor: Ok, Mr. Drangleic, I built this here wall to stop anyone from getting in yer castle.
Mr.Drangleic: Perfect. I love that's it's so small, you saved me a butt load on materials. Surely no one will ever learn to jump, climb, or take an overly large step.
But what if they just walk around it, though?
DSC: Oh yeah, I thought of that. If they go up and around over there, they'll be in this here Shrine. Shrine won't open without some really cool souls.
Mr.D: Huh...ok, why not put the shrine on the main road and just get rid of the wall? It's a nice shrine, it'd be a shame most people won't see it.
DSC: Look, do I tell you how to do your job? Huh? Did I criticize you for marrying the living embodiment of a fragment of the soul of Manus after it achieved consciousness? Did I?

No I played SotFS and got stuck in the exact same way. When you read online that you need to go through the Shrine of Winter, it doesn't mean go through the portal (fountain) by examining it. That's a DLC. It means continue around it, down a zigzagy path downhill and further on, and you'll reach Drangleic Castle.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Meowywitch posted:

Scholar changed the chest that holds the soul/hp ring, no idea where it is now but it's not in the Tower of Flame anymore so gently caress Scholar

It's still in Heide's, relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I'm playing Fashion Police Squad which is sort of a low-rez Doom 2016 with this gimmick that you're making everyone look better by attacking them with fashion-relation guns according to their weakness. The thing is, I've hit a wall of difficulty. I've reached the subway level, where there is platforming, narrow walkways, tons and tons of enemies that do AOE attacks, very little health, and it's a checkpoint system so I can't save scum my way through it. This level is not fun. It's bullshit. I don't want to play anymore. And I look online, and I see that almost every negative review was written at roughly the 2.5 hour mark, the same point I am. I think many people play until this point and then quit. I wonder if the game is fun again if you beat it?