Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

There's only one non-American title holder now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

turntabler posted:

Joe Ro seems be throwing out best whatever to describe fights a bit lately.

the way the sport is evolving whatever you're seeing right now is probably better than what came before

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

-Atom- posted:

the most MMA picture
Haha. Is he using the s-grip?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Ninja fetus posted:

Haha. Is he using the s-grip?

Looks like a gable grip to me.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

manyak posted:

Well at least im vindicated in saying all the "Barao is the best p4p fighter in the world" talk was a joke. His striking is so fuckin ugly and one dimensional but he just kept getting the job done, i never thought TJ would be the dude to expose it. that was some of the best striking i've ever seen in MMA i think

What always bothered me is how hittable he is. The big difference between him and Aldo is that Barao would get hit all the time in fights he was dominating, like vs Jorgensen.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

-Atom- posted:

the most MMA picture

im the dude on the left, the mushrooms just kicked in and my hand skin is breathing

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

niethan posted:

im the dude on the left, the mushrooms just kicked in and my hand skin is breathing

"Hey I know our monkey just beat up that kobold or whatever but the light spinning around my bracelet is out of control"

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Meowbot posted:

Was Joe Rogan's feelings of "best performance" ever really justified though? I can think of a few other fights that impressed me more but at the same time this was the underdog wrecking the champion which we usually don't get to see.

For my money I can't think of a bigger moment where someone so dramatically rose to the occasion. All the other "big upsets" like Serra/GSP definitely seemed like one-off performances but TJ was so clearly dominating Barao that I'm not sure if Barao can win the title back from him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, that's what makes it such a major upset. Serra/GSP, while amazing, was basically one lucky punch. This was Barao getting dominated in basically every facet for four rounds and then stopped in the 5th.

I don't even think the people that thought TJ had a chance at winning thought that he would dominate the extremely dominant titleholder.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, that's what makes it such a major upset. Serra/GSP, while amazing, was basically one lucky punch.

It really wasn't. For the entire fight before that punch, Serra was throwing rights to the ribs as his response to GSP's jab. For the last three or four rights he threw, GSP immediately dropped his hand to his ribs to protect them, and that's when Serra switched it up and came over the top. It was a strategy predicated on GSP choosing to strike and not go for takedowns (which is why GSP spend basically no time whatsoever standing with Serra in the rematch), but when you spend several minutes setting up a punch it's not "lucky".

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

It really wasn't. For the entire fight before that punch, Serra was throwing rights to the ribs as his response to GSP's jab. For the last three or four rights he threw, GSP immediately dropped his hand to his ribs to protect them, and that's when Serra switched it up and came over the top. It was a strategy predicated on GSP choosing to strike and not go for takedowns (which is why GSP spend basically no time whatsoever standing with Serra in the rematch), but when you spend several minutes setting up a punch it's not "lucky".

Lucky isn't the right word, but he didn't have a prayer of doing it again in the rematch

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
T-J Dilla is finally living up to his name by being cool as heck

Kikuno is hilarious and I hope he gets a fight with the brazillian that humped Erik Silva's knee

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
gsp did fight weirdly in that match though I havent seen if for a long time I remember him throwing a really strange amount of high kicks

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Lucky isn't the right word, but he didn't have a prayer of doing it again in the rematch

That's because, as I mentioned, in the rematch GSP smartly changed his strategy and spent basically no time whatsoever striking with him. If he'd come out looking to strike again, it's not at all unlikely that he'd've gotten caught again.

In the first match, Serra and Longo came in with a better gameplan than GSP did and finished him. In the second match, GSP and Jackson came in with a better gameplan than Serra did and finished him. Neither result was "lucky" or a fluke.

Bundt Cake posted:

gsp did fight weirdly in that match though I havent seen if for a long time I remember him throwing a really strange amount of high kicks

The high kicks started because every time he exchanged punches he was getting his ribs bashed in. If he'd started working more front kicks than high kicks he probably could have disrupted Serra's strategy a lot more, but front kicks have never been a big part of his game.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Fights good. I like.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Just watched em now. Quite the card!

Did anyone predict TJ completely dominating Barao? It still seems a bit unreal. TJ's footwork was nuts, he was was moving so quickly and precisely and at just the right moment. Maybe the best example is how TJ doged those back kicks. By the time the kick was thrown, TJ had circled almost 180 degress to Barao's other side. More important, TJ was using this to set up huge strikes (for a bantamweight especially!) all night. And then finishing him was just icing on the cake. Rogan is a bit prone to hyperbole, but that really was one of the best performances I've ever seen, especially as a massive underdog!

It kinda over shadows the rest of the card. DC dominated Hendo, which I don't think anyone was surprised about. Those throws were huge and hilarious, and the rest of the fight very workman like.

And Lawler looked amazing as well. He adopted that same close range style he used against Hendricks, which he uses along with his constant hand fighting and pretty good head movement as well. Ellenburger didn't really show up, but a big part of this is how dominant Lawler is. Lawler needs that rematch I think, or at the very least he should fight only the very best in the divison.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Count Roland posted:

TJ's footwork was nuts, he was was moving so quickly and precisely and at just the right moment.

Nobody predicted Monkey Style doing so well

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Robawesome posted:

Nobody predicted Monkey Style doing so well

Rusty Shackleford did.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

K8.0 posted:

The fact that TJ is an insufferable douche means he's basically guaranteed to win the belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's funny - if you go back and watch the embedded that was posted right before the card where Dana gives his 'infinite fucks' motivation speech he talks about guys needing to step up and have their Gustafsson moment to make a name for themselves in the sport - and TJ went out there and did just that and blew everyone away in the process.

Not that the speech was the reason why he did but it's an interesting moment to look back on now with how the night played out.

• Locked thread