Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

STAC Goat posted:

Its super odd but its got to be one of those two theories. Either there just isn't any real desire for it (maybe Utopia stealing a little of the small attention) or CBS just made it difficult for some (Frankie) reason.

Its really disappointing because I really only hung on to this season to see the fallout and between the finale and the cancelled interviews there was basically none. BB finales are always kind of lovely compared to Survivor ones but this really takes the cake.

I get the feeling it was a Frankie (really his sister) reason or maybe it was just the really boring season overall where Derrick just killed it and seems to have no interested in being involved in BB drama (neither does Donny it seems)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sounds like Julie Chen thinks the finales are boring too.

Julie Chen posted:

Sometimes people go into the finale backstage saying, “I’m going to tell off so and so, A, B, C, D and I’m going to let her know how I feel.” And then you tee it up and they’re like, “Wellllllllll, no hard feelings.” And I’m like, “YES! YES! Hard feelings! You were just 15 minutes ago hard feelings!” So that’s my fear, that there won’t be the fireworks that we want and expect from people confronting their former enemies.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Kind of hypocritical of her because she would be the one saying "Now now play nice this is a family show" if they weren't being boring.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I enjoyed this season a lot more than last, not least of all because I think Derrick is an extremely deserving winner. I actually didn't think his game was that boring (though I understand why a lot of you did), but he could have helped his own cause had he played up his domination a bit in DR. The only time I can ever remember him doing that is when he was convincing Caleb of something and they spliced together his "three steps to winning Big Brother" with the actual clips. That was great both because it showed a good game player being aware of his dominance and because it was actually interesting!

It was interesting to me that both Donny and Jocasta had hard feelings toward Derrick, but no surprise at all that they voted together. Also very disappointing that Zach is still in love with Frankie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love EW's recap of the finale. It's a lot of (mostly deserved) fellating of Derrick's game but at the end...

quote:

The show was over, the cameras were off, the players all gathered together in joyful reunion. Donny hugged Jocasta, and Nicole kissed Hayden, and Caleb walked toward Amber, and Amber retreated behind Devin, who suddenly blurted out "I HAVE A DAUGHTER!" and started crying.

Caleb was sad... but only for a moment, because all of a sudden a movie producer tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Beast Mode, I want you to star in my new war movie. How come you are so cool?" And then next to the movie producer there was a fashion guy who said "I am a fashion guy from the world of fashion, and I want to design a new fragrance called Beast Mode Sex Machine. Can I smell your sweat?" And next to the fashion guy was a cyborg with a red blinking eye who said "Caleb, I come from the future where we worship you as a god, you are definitely a cool guy who all kinds of ladies would want to make sex with. Can I get an autograph?"

Zach hugged Frankie, and whispered something in his ear. What did they say to each other? The chronicles do not say, and perhaps it is not for us to know; perhaps there are secrets that only lovers know.

But then, a confused look crossed Derrick's face. He looked around. He asked: "Where is Victoria?"

"Victoria?" asked Julie Chen. "What are you talking about?"

"Victoria!" said Derrick. "She was just right here a second ago."

Julie Chen laughed. "Ain't been no one named Victoria here for nigh on 50 year," she said, lighting her corncob pipe and straightening her straw hat. "Yessirree, last time I knew someone named Victoria was the Great Winter of '64. Strangest thing you ever did see," continued Julie Chen, spitting some tobacco out of the side of her mouth. "A local gal named Victoria just up and disappeared one day. Never did see her again.

"But," said Derrick, "But that's not possible. I knew Victoria! She was my friend. She was in the house this whole time!"
Julie Chen laughed and laughed and laughed, like she'd never heard anything so funny.

"I don't know what to tell you, sonny," said Julie Chen. "Ain't been no one named 'Victoria' in this house all summer long."

Derrick hugged his baby close to him, pondering. He looked up into the sky... and for a moment, he had a vision. A beautiful woman, wearing a wedding dress made of diamonds that glittered like tiny supernovas in the cosmic tapestry. She walks down the aisle... no, floats down, carried aloft by a cloud. Flowers fall in her wake: Pretty bluebirds soar overhead, dropping rose petals, singing songs in the language that all animals spoke before the coming of Man. This woman that Derrick sees, she looks so familiar... and yet with every passing moment, his memory of her fades.

He can just picture her, though, walking to the end of the aisle, greeting her beloved: a regal figure, wearing a red cape over a golden tunic, his skin bright green, his father's sword glowing in the starlight, the scar over his left eye a monument to his final duel with the Dark Emperor Dredgehog at the Battle of Lilypad Atoll.

And although Derrick knows this is just a vision, a dream of an impossible world—although he knows that, in a few moments, he will have no memory of any of this—he feels a sense of all-encompassing joy as he sees the woman take the webbed hands of her great love, and stand beside him in Holy Matrimony. Look how she smiles, as the thousand trumpets of the Cumulus Court welcome her home at last. She turns to her champion, smiles even wider as the sounds of revelry fill all the halls of their kingdom.

"Oh Froggington," Victoria whispers, "How I have missed you."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I love EW's recap of the finale. It's a lot of (mostly deserved) fellating of Derrick's game but at the end...

Those recaps have been totally loving hilarious.

geera
May 20, 2003
I think what's incredible to me about the finale is that all of Derrick's masterful gaming and scheming this season could have been undone in the blink of an eye if Cody had taken a moment to rub two brain cells together and think about his chances in the final two with Victoria instead of Derrick. Cody would have woken up $500k richer today if he had realized that the time for loyalty was over when he had to make that choice.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

geera posted:

I think what's incredible to me about the finale is that all of Derrick's masterful gaming and scheming this season could have been undone in the blink of an eye if Cody had taken a moment to rub two brain cells together and think about his chances in the final two with Victoria instead of Derrick. Cody would have woken up $500k richer today if he had realized that the time for loyalty was over when he had to make that choice.

It's always an interesting phenomena where some people in the game just don't see what's actually going on. Cody really thought he was making the right move.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
His fate was sealed when he voted out Victoria, but I think the vote might have been closer if he hadn't turned into a defensive little baby about being called Derrick's puppet. Seriously, not only did that ensure that he had no chance of winning, but it further solidified that "Cody dumb".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BonoMan posted:

Those recaps have been totally loving hilarious.

I've never read any EW recaps but holy poo poo is that good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Robnoxious posted:

Haha, I see what you did there.
Utopia isn't stealing anything other than eyeballs away from the rest of FOX's lineup.
As crazy as that show is because unlike this season of BB at least something is happening the coroner is still circling and just about ready to call a time of death and body bag the whole experiment.

Is Frankie really that important to CBS? If so, why?
Arianna's career is flash in the pan just like every other pop star and Frankie is nothing more than a hanger-on that looks like a troll doll.

Maybe CBS has a huge investment and surplus stock of troll dolls, sitting right next to unbought Survivor buffs in the CBS Store.

Frankie was obviously a very important part of their marketing strategy when they cast him. It is not too hard to imagine that Frankie was smart enough to lawyer up before signing anything, and probably had a legit entertainment lawyer on board where as the regular HGs almost certainly did not. It isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that there was an agreement between the Grandes and CBS that gave Frankie a bit of "protection", or at least as much as CBS could, since they can't control Frankie once he was in the house. We'll see if he really does end up on the Race or not. He probably got the right of first refusal, which means they HAVE to formally offer him the spot on the show.

Mahoning posted:

Sounds like Julie Chen thinks the finales are boring too.

Blame the producers. The finale structure is loving TERRIBLE for drama, since 90% of it is either videos, the final comp, or exposition from the host. If it were structured more like the Survivor finale, she would get her drama. They didn't even let the early HGs speak this year.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mahoning posted:

His fate was sealed when he voted out Victoria, but I think the vote might have been closer if he hadn't turned into a defensive little baby about being called Derrick's puppet. Seriously, not only did that ensure that he had no chance of winning, but it further solidified that "Cody dumb".

Both Cody's decision and his behaviour during the jury questioning are more solid gameplay out of Derrick. Apparently Cody actually counted the votes out loud and knew he couldn't win against Derrick before making the decision to vote out Victoria. Derrick's hold on Cody was that strong.

Also Derrick was egging Cody on saying if Frankie asked him a question he should throw it right back at him. Getting Cody all amped up to not take any crap from the jury was one of the many nice subtle touches on Derrick's game.

Ian Terry was on RHAP arguing that this was the best winning game in BB history. Dr Will and Dan are still better players, but I'm open to the argument that this individual game was a stronger game than the ones Will and Dan won with. (or their arguably more impressive losing return appearances)

It may not have been the best TV but it was a remarkable accomplishment.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'm glad I'll never have to see Jocasta again.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So this is literally the first season of big brother I have ever watched and I loved it. I can see how after 16 seasons (and other countries) it might not have compared to previous ones, but I really liked the concept and the competitions. And for once the cast wasn't completely repulsive and it was a lot of fun watching them enjoy interacting with each other. I'm glad Donny won the favorites competition, because I think he was the sweetest person I've seen on any reality TV show. (My least favorites would definitely be Frankie -- I will never understand those preteen-oriented *SQUEAL* youtube stars and probably Christine, because she was useless and floated by by pure luck.)

I actually really admire how well Derrick played the game. He was behind almost every decision to evict someone (swinging votes from people multiple times when he decided it fit his plan better) but each time he'd wait for someone else to 'come up' with the decision first and thus take the blame for it (while backing them up and earning trust). I haven't seen how other people win the game but he definitely played a good one. I can also see why people thought the season was boring, though -- it was very predictable based on the alliances formed and no one bothered with any big moves until the very end.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Glad Derrick won, was happy to see Frankie slowly realize that he wasn't even in the Top 3. It was beautiful: 3 solid seconds of shocked face, he started clapping slowly with the same expression once he realized everyone else was, a pitiful "Wwwwwwow...!" at the end.

Then of course the sad face :)

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
What the gently caress was that sash thing Joey was wearing? Did it have a bunch of pictures of her on it?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't think Derrick would have taken Victoria honestly. The only time I remember him saying anything about it in the DR he said IF Cody was gone he would take Victoria.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think Derrick was smart enough to realize that he could beat either Cody OR Victoria easily. Look at how well he spun stabbing everybody in the back when asked about it. He really played an excellent social game that didn't involve burning many bridges.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Clocks posted:

So this is literally the first season of big brother I have ever watched and I loved it. I can see how after 16 seasons (and other countries) it might not have compared to previous ones, but I really liked the concept and the competitions. And for once the cast wasn't completely repulsive and it was a lot of fun watching them enjoy interacting with each other. I'm glad Donny won the favorites competition, because I think he was the sweetest person I've seen on any reality TV show. (My least favorites would definitely be Frankie -- I will never understand those preteen-oriented *SQUEAL* youtube stars and probably Christine, because she was useless and floated by by pure luck.)

I actually really admire how well Derrick played the game. He was behind almost every decision to evict someone (swinging votes from people multiple times when he decided it fit his plan better) but each time he'd wait for someone else to 'come up' with the decision first and thus take the blame for it (while backing them up and earning trust). I haven't seen how other people win the game but he definitely played a good one. I can also see why people thought the season was boring, though -- it was very predictable based on the alliances formed and no one bothered with any big moves until the very end.

People are saying the season was boring because it had one big alliance which formed in the beginning and which dominated the entire game, with almost no one ever putting up any resistance to it at all. Furthermore, the people in the majority alliance won almost every single HOH, so there was almost no chance of anyone even threatening any of them. This is not normal for big brother. It would be more typical to have multiple competing factions, with people from both groups winning HOH at times and people switching sides and making deals and so on. This season was just a big powerful group steamrolling over a bunch of clueless losers.

I still enjoyed watching it, though. But, if you liked this season, you will like other seasons for more, where there's a lot more strategy and drama going on. Instead of... "and now, for the 6th time, Victoria and Donny and Jocosta all get put up, along with this week's true target".

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
I highly recommend listening to the RHAP exit interviews with the final 3, especially the one with Victoria, which was hilarious. Highlight: she says she would've won vs. both Derrick and Cody.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

rafington posted:

I highly recommend listening to the RHAP exit interviews with the final 3, especially the one with Victoria, which was hilarious. Highlight: she says she would've won vs. both Derrick and Cody.

He usually does interviews with everyone. Do you know if he's only doing the final three this time? I'd love to hear him ask some real questions to Frankie and Donny, especially.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I can't find the interviews is there an easy way to find them? I searched YouTube and even went to his channel.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Acrolos posted:

He usually does interviews with everyone. Do you know if he's only doing the final three this time? I'd love to hear him ask some real questions to Frankie and Donny, especially.

I have no idea, he might interview some of the people between seasons but I think that's more of a Survivor thing.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I can't find the interviews is there an easy way to find them? I searched YouTube and even went to his channel.

Here you go. It's probably easier to find the stuff on his website, I doubt he's gonna put them on YouTube since they were phone interviews.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just listened to the rhap final interviews and Victoria is like a ridiculous person. She is such a cliche of the girly girl bimbo that I was almost sure that it wasn't her and that she was playing a character but I guess it's her. She is incredibly deluded and seems to have no self awareness.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hahah, random:

http://ktla.com/2014/09/26/all-flig...rG3iM1bqNzRL5xH

Noteworthy bit at 1:13.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Poor guy is going to develop a complex. Even outside the house the cameras are always watching.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Haha! Was that really him? HITMEN shirt.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I noticed that Chief Wiggum nose anywhere.
The bigger mystery is why was Derrick flying to Chicago when he lives in Rhode Island? :aaa:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Robnoxious posted:

I noticed that Chief Wiggum nose anywhere.
The bigger mystery is why was Derrick flying to Chicago when he lives in Rhode Island? :aaa:

He was spotted getting a ticket in the airport during some B-footage they used, they never said he was one of the people going to Chicago. And if he was going to Chicago it was probably a layover.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

bbf2 posted:

He was spotted getting a ticket in the airport during some B-footage they used, they never said he was one of the people going to Chicago. And if he was going to Chicago it was probably a layover.

Nah, that was an LA station reporting in LAX. Article said the threat had a ripple effect and cancelled flights nationwide.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just listened to the rhap final interviews and Victoria is like a ridiculous person. She is such a cliche of the girly girl bimbo that I was almost sure that it wasn't her and that she was playing a character but I guess it's her. She is incredibly deluded and seems to have no self awareness.

Cody's defense of taking Derrick to the final was also ridiculous - or he's still misted by Derrick. But yeah, Victoria seems as if she's a parody of herself. Cicely Strong did a similar character on SNL this past weekend LOL. I think she was "the girl you're sorry you started a conversation with".

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think this is the High School that Donny worked at.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/26662557/nc-school-shooting-injures-one

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So it turns out that Evil Dick left during the first week of season 13 because he found out he was HIV Positive.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/dick-donato-big-brother-couples-therapy-hiv/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Well drat. Evel Dick is HIV positive and that was why he left the BB house three seasons ago.

http://www.people.com/article/big-brother-winner-dick-donato-hiv-positive

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
That's a shocking thing for anyone to learn. It isn't the death sentence it once was but still a shock.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Next time i need a physical I will just sign up for BB

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Come on ED, you should have given up the needlepoint back in the 80's!

It was weird how abrupt ED's exit was that season and how it was never brought up again.
Now we know.

I can't help but think Jenlicious (the girl he dumped water on and tormented until she was evicted during his first season) is probably saying something about karma being a bitch right about now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I suspect the world will show about as much empathy for his problems as he's shown for the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I think people will be a lot nicer then he would have been about another contestant getting AIDS if he didn't like them.

I'm glad he's got a good attitude about the situation, and I think sharing it is a good way to warn people about sleeping with Evel Dick safe sex.

• Locked thread