Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Magic Rules posted:

602.2. To activate an ability is to put it onto the stack and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect. Only an object’s controller (or its owner, if it doesn’t have a controller) can activate its activated ability unless the object specifically says otherwise. Activating an ability follows the steps listed below, in order. If, at any point during the activation of an ability, a player is unable to comply with any of those steps, the activation is illegal; the game returns to the moment before that ability started to be activated (see rule 726, “Handling Illegal Actions”). Announcements and payments can’t be altered after they’ve been made.

So if I got this right, the act of activating an ability is to announce it, create the object on the stack, and pay the costs. So, the dude will not be on the board immediately after to see it. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gynovore posted:

So if I got this right, the act of activating an ability is to announce it, create the object on the stack, and pay the costs. So, the dude will not be on the board immediately after to see it. Right?

Yeah, I think that's right. The other relevant rule is this one:

quote:

603.10. Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions, and continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities are exceptions to this rule; the game “looks back in time” to determine if those abilities trigger, using the existence of those abilities and the appearance of objects immediately prior to the event. The list of exceptions is as follows:

603.10a Some zone-change triggers look back in time. These are leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a card leaves a graveyard, and abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library.
Example: Two creatures are on the battlefield along with an artifact that has the ability “Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.” Someone casts a spell that destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. The artifact’s ability triggers twice, even though the artifact goes to its owner’s graveyard at the same time as the creatures.

603.10b Abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out look back in time.

603.10c Abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached look back in time.

603.10d Abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object look back in time.

603.10e Abilities that trigger when a spell is countered look back in time.

603.10f Abilities that trigger when a player loses the game look back in time.

603.10g Abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane look back in time.

Ninjutsu does involve "an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library," but I don't think that really counts, since that's part of the cost of the ninjutsu but not actually the triggering event. If that's true, ninjutsu doesn't match these exception criteria, so Satoru won't trigger if it's been returned to the ninjutsu cost. If it said "whenever you return a creature for ninjutsu" or something, then it would trigger, because then it'd be triggering on the zone change itself. But I'm not super confident of that ruling; we may have to wait and see.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

God I love this dumb, confusing game.

E: just seems weird to me that they would print this card that doesn't work with itself. Im sure a judge will rule on this either way.

Darkoni fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 25, 2021

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Toshimo posted:

Ninjitsu an eldrazi is pretty medium.

Now, Ninjitsu a Blightsteel, that's the stuff.

:hmmyes:

Speaking of Umezawa, I just sat down to tinker with a couple decks yesterday and thought about adding Umezawa's Jitte to my K'rrik deck. My thinking is that it can pump him up quickly for more rapid lifelink gains, it can function as one more source of spot removal, and it can be used to harvest some life gain in case I go a little too hard on Phyrexian black mana or Necropotence-like effects. I think it might be too slow though. This deck is tuned but not cEDH optimized, so I can get consistently get K'rrik on board by turn three (turn two at best in this deck). That means I can play and equip the Jitte on turn four and swing with it (plus whatever bullcrap I can cheat out of my hand with Phyrexian black).

Thoughts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That just seems like adding a really easily disrupted card to your high powered K’rrik deck. For the same mana investment you could be doing so much more with K’rrik in play than gaining 4 life.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

A tuned K’rrik deck will have no use for Jitte. People already going to be gunning for your commander so slapping equipment on it that doesn’t protect it and takes a turn to do anything is pointless. Honestly, I don’t think there’s any deck that really wants Jitte. It’s just too slow for commander.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
when I originally built K'rrik i built it with Commander's Plate and after maybe 5 games i realized that the deck is just too fast for equipment to matter, even lightning greaves

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use Jitte in Dina because it doesn't matter what I equip it to, I just want the life gain triggers. I don't know what else I would run it in.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Ok. This all makes sense. The only equipment in the deck other than Jitte is Swiftfoot Boots, because I reached a similar conclusion about other equipment. So I'll cut Jitte.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LeafHouse posted:

A tuned K’rrik deck will have no use for Jitte. People already going to be gunning for your commander so slapping equipment on it that doesn’t protect it and takes a turn to do anything is pointless. Honestly, I don’t think there’s any deck that really wants Jitte. It’s just too slow for commander.

It's really good tech in certain kinds of creature-heavy midrangey cEDH decks, because it sticks around and kills small creatures.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Railing Kill posted:

Ok. This all makes sense. The only equipment in the deck other than Jitte is Swiftfoot Boots, because I reached a similar conclusion about other equipment. So I'll cut Jitte.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Maybe slot in Lightning Greaves instead for a second "protect K'rrik" equipment?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Maybe slot in Lightning Greaves instead for a second "protect K'rrik" equipment?

I have plenty of stuff to protect him, and Greaves non-bo's with most of it because of shroud. Another source of haste would be nice, but that's more likely why I would run Greaves over its protection. Greaves isn't a bad idea, to be fair, but the deck list would make it clearer why it isn't as good an option as it might otherwise be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Railing Kill posted:

I have plenty of stuff to protect him, and Greaves non-bo's with most of it because of shroud. Another source of haste would be nice, but that's more likely why I would run Greaves over its protection. Greaves isn't a bad idea, to be fair, but the deck list would make it clearer why it isn't as good an option as it might otherwise be.

I got you.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Here comes a special boy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Here comes a special boy

o poo poo waddup!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Well, I got a foil/alt art Grolnok, the Omnivore in a collector booster I received as a stocking stuff, so I guess I'm gonna build a frog deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

For Christmas my buddy has challenged me to build this as my first casual deck for the new year. He knows I’ve never built a super friends deck before so this will be a great deck for cards that I don’t normally get to play.

I’ve already given myself a “No Doubling Season” rule because A) Vorinclex feels strictly better in this shell and B) YAWN, and no Magecraft combos. I want to win using my planeswalkers, and probably some stuff that turns Carth’s weird body into a more reliable wall of meat.

Any thoughts?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

For Christmas my buddy has challenged me to build this as my first casual deck for the new year. He knows I’ve never built a super friends deck before so this will be a great deck for cards that I don’t normally get to play.

I’ve already given myself a “No Doubling Season” rule because A) Vorinclex feels strictly better in this shell and B) YAWN, and no Magecraft combos. I want to win using my planeswalkers, and probably some stuff that turns Carth’s weird body into a more reliable wall of meat.

Any thoughts?

Dig Up seems like a fine, lower power tutor. Chain Veil if you wanna go hard on the 'walkers without leaning on Doubling Season. I don't think Oath of Liliana is good enough, and Oath of Nissa doesn't seem necessary if you're only playing two colors. Cunning Rhetoric seems cute and plays unto the planeswalker theme. There's also Planewide Celebration to either proliferate four times or regrow some planeswalkers. Kamal's Druidic Vow and Genesis Wave for big turns, maybe Storm the Festival? Settle the Score doesn't seem good enough at that CMC, but it's spot removal that exiles and gives one of your planeswalkers more loyalty.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I talked to my brother about this a bit at dinner since we both like weird deckbuilding stuff. The first thing we focused on was "what do gb planeswalkers actually do as a cohesive thing" and the three big themes that nearly all of them fall into are killing stuff, token generation, and land interaction.

I personally really like the idea of building a big land ramp deck that uses W7, Nissas, garruk wildspeaker, etc. along with land tutors to take advantage of synergy with yavimaya, urborg, coffers, nykthos, etc. There's that landfall guy that proliferates. You have a lot of options in that direction.

You could instead focus on building a wide board of tokens to protect your walkers and finishing off with overruns. Lots of stuff in gb to either protect your creatures or punish people for wrathing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Idk how viable or fun it really would be, but I think it would be kinda hilarious to build a deck around the various Vraska assassinate-your-opponents ultimate abilities. You get some Garruks and Nissas to make some tokens, do stuff that makes them unblockable, then try to ultimate some vraskas. That's the only particularly cool thing I can think of with GB planeswalkers. Green and black are kinda uninteresting, planeswalker-wise.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I recently built a Carth deck that uses tokens to go wide, Vraska ultimates, and a few other dirty tricks as win cons. I've only had a chance to test it once though, so it's still in beta. I can throw it on Moxfield if you're interested in taking a look.

Edit: I agree that GB doesn't have the best or most interesting planewalkers, but I went for this one because I somehow didn't have a token creature deck amongst my 20+ decks already, GB is my favorite two color combination, and Vraska is my favorite planeswalker. Some of that might make it sound kind of gimmicky, but it's pretty beefy for a casual deck.

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 26, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

If you all had to pick your favorite cEDH and your favorite non-cEDH decks (say ~7/10, in your personal opinion), what would they be? Toss up some links if you've got 'em!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
YeH I like where your head is at but I really don’t wanna build ANOTHER tokens deck. I feel like every deck in my casual case is a tokens deck in some form or another. I just wanna do midrange m/Big mana stuff. I don’t mind making a couple zombies or wolves here and there to clog my board, but I’ve already got elves, vampires, Eldrazi, treasure tribal, mutants, Osgir… I’m good on Tokens!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
MERRY CHRISTMAS GOONS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988784