Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh no, wouldn't want :siren: CHEMICALS :siren: in your vegetables.

"Organic" is a huge fad.

I'm sure Something Awful Forums user Rent-A-Cop knows the score. If I didn't want pesticides on my vegetables, I would definitely be reassured if Something Awful Forums user Rent-A-Cop told me it was OK.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Man, I wish Monsanto would pay me to be an internet shill. For minimum wage and health insurance I'd tell people to feed RoundUp to their kids.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Don't listen to Rent-A-Cop, he's high on jicama seeds.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

disheveled posted:

Don't listen to Rent-A-Cop, he's high on jicama seeds.
My inhuman corporate masters have bestowed their dark grace upon me and given me marvelous powers. I am now poisonous to caterpillars and 12% more drought tolerant. Fear me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My inhuman corporate masters have bestowed their dark grace upon me and given me marvelous powers. I am now poisonous to caterpillars and 12% more drought tolerant. Fear me.

I'm two semesters away from a degree in plant biology/biotechnology and they won't even let me produce high levels of vitamin A in my body. The American education system is a crock of poo poo.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man how the gently caress do I get on this payroll that apparently half the internet is on to make fun of anti-scientific dolts who are terrified of chemicals and vaccinations? People say that poo poo like every day but I've never seen a job listing for that position anywhere.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Muttonchips posted:

I've heard rumors that big corporations paid people to sprout their nonsense in places like Reddit and Google, but this is my first encounter with people of the type. Amazing. A bit baffled at the lack of subtlety, but when your target is sheep, I guess you don't need to aim high. If anyone wants to talk about organic farming, I'll chime in but for the time being I'll stick to monitoring this thread closely for activity and logging all the usernames of people who seem to have an agenda against organic farmers such as myself.

The one corpa who was trying claim that organic farming was a fad was somewhat believable, but the one shill who seems to be implying organic farming is a pseduo-science is just beyond laughable I can't even laugh about it. Hey guys, stop trying so hard, your true ties are showing.

For those of you who aren't paid to shill for big corpa, don't be discouraged. You don't need to poison your crops with harmful chemicals. Trust me. You don't. It's a lot of work to go organic and there will be many detractors who try to stand in your path (look at all the trolls who are trying to derail this thread with their nonsense) but just know that you are what you eat, and you don't need this crap in your system. You just don't.

I was going to reply to this, but instead go gently caress yourself. Rather than accept that you're misusing a whole pile of words, you think it's more reasonable that people in this thread are actually being paid (after years of posting here in random, unrelated threads) to shill for a big pharma. Here's a shocker: people sell you that organic poo poo you're putting in your yard.

You're a deluded fragment of a movement that is being sold a product. Talk about sheep.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
(censored by Monsanto)

Muttonchips fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 20, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
gently caress that, this is Internet Gardening 101. Buy a Hori-hori. It's organic, and made of hanzo steel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

gently caress that, this is Internet Gardening 101. Buy a Hori-hori. It's organic, and made of hanzo steel.

I bought one a couple weeks ago and it quickly became my favorite gardening tool.

But Muttonchips is a FARMER, not a gardner so he needs the really big stuff like a weird scraper on a pole. This is to distinguish himself from those hoe-weilding pleb farmers.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I rely on the Darwinian philosophy of organic gardening. If bugs or some other bastard creature eat it before I do, and it needs more water than a brief hose dousing while I give my plants their morning pep talk then I don't grow it. If my yard dies then it's what mother nature intended. Also, Muttonchips, you are totally a gimmick. It's kind of funny because I know plenty of people who say things like that. Nice folks but boy are they goddamned crazy.

Anyhow here's my garden that is fertilizer and pesticide free.

we got
- random heirloom and hybrid tomatos
- 5 mystery hot peppers
- bush beans of many colors
- UFO squash
- cukes
- some herbs
- orchids
- ginger
- a few random old kale plants that just won't die

Harvest from the other day

Hola Pepino

We've been making homemade pickles, and hot drat are they tasty. :ssh:we used horrible chemicals though like acetic acid, sucrose, and of course Sodium Chloride.

E: Hoes and that stirrup on a stick are bourgeois excesses. A goddamn machete is the only tool you need.

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 17, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I bought one a couple weeks ago and it quickly became my favorite gardening tool.

But Muttonchips is a FARMER, not a gardner so he needs the really big stuff like a weird scraper on a pole. This is to distinguish himself from those hoe-weilding pleb farmers.
If you're using one of those goofy loop hoe things, you're probably standing in your dirt. I grew up swinging one of those things ON A FARM and still can't see much use for them in most situations.

My front yard is overrun with bindweed, and I do 3 or 4 weeding runs a week in my beds. I have 4 8'x4' beds, so it only takes about 10-20 minutes a day. The hori-hori is unironically useful as hell though, as it lets me stab down at an angle and cut the roots of the weeds 4-6 inches below the surface, without pulling first and snapping them accidentally.

Some day I will solarize the entire area and just cover it in round river gravel and 8x4 beds.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I don't know bout y'all but I got paid 20 bucks for my human liquid turd dancing idea.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
(censored by Monsanto)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Muttonchips posted:

Edit: I've been thinking about getting a few solarizing panels put in myself, but my understanding is the cost to energy ratio is still not very efficient.

I thought you might just be deluded, but that doesn't account for all of the behavior you've been demonstrating. Turns out you're just a pretty terrible and unfunny troll. At this point you've just become tiresome.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Muttonchips posted:

I just feel bad that so many trolls are trying to derail this thread I thought I'd contribute something for those of you who are lurking who are interested in organic farming but maybe intimidated by these cyber bullies. I highly suggest utilizing the ignore feature. Best way to deal with trolls is to keep your head held high and just ignore them. Don't let them intimidate you into ditching organic!

FYI I just found this thread this morning and in every one of your posts you've come off as a total dick!

Monsanto, that'll be five dollars, please

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
(censored by Monsanto)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
that's not what he meant by solarizing lmao

Muttonchips is a Monsanto agent provocateur

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

ghetto wormhole posted:

that's not what he meant by solarizing lmao

Muttonchips is a Monsanto agent provocateur

His posts do put me in mind of how to run a false flag operation against sustainability. Then again, there's that thing about confusing maliciousness with incompetence. Just like Dawkins and atheism.

How did we get to solar power? Anyway, it's relevant. I mean, solar power is great, but it still kills more people per unit energy and results in far greater radiation exposure and subsequent cases of cancer than nuclear (also more toxic waste, mine tailings are a bitch to get rid of). I guess if you're desperate for energy, solar is still good, despite people falling off roofs or getting skin cancer installing it, and theoretically you can put a kilowatt hour value on human life if you use that solar energy to desalinate water to grow crops to feed people.

The important thing is to stop burning coal for fuel, because we need all that carbon to Haber process with air into ammonia, shift into nitrate, and use the nitrate to grow things. It's just wasteful to burn it for heat.

drat it, I've just had an idea. If we were to take all the poo poo people use on organic crops, render it down with anaerobic digestion, separate out the remaining solids, incinerate to ash in an absence of oxygen to produce CO (heat provided from anaerobic methane byproduct), shift the CO with water to hydrogen, Haber the hydrogen with some nitrogen to make ammonia, and then put the remaining ash and solids and the nitrate on crops, could that actually lead to a greater agricultural output than just putting the poo poo on plants? At the very least it has less greenhouse effect because the methane is getting burned instead of released by the decomposing poop.

Really though I just like the idea, even if it ends up being impractical: take organic agriculture and use process engineering to make it inorganic.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 18, 2014

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Muttonchips posted:

Anyone else here interested in talking about organic farming? Or am I only one left? I don't need to sink down to the level of these trolls who seem to have difficulty telling the difference between organic home made ingredients and toxic chemicals that are produced in a factory setting. I suspect they're the ones who eat nothing but high fructose corn syrup and GMO crops.

I am.

You do realise the associations of the early history of organic food production?

Its founders in the UK were fascist, if not out right full on nazis.

Some of them went beyond fascism and wanted an out right return to feudalism. Lets talk about the history of organic farming.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Motronic posted:

I thought you might just be deluded, but that doesn't account for all of the behavior you've been demonstrating. Turns out you're just a pretty terrible and unfunny troll. At this point you've just become tiresome.

Ignore Muttonchips. Reg'ed a week ago, and now is flooding every subforum he can with horrible posts.

faarcyde posted:

I started gardening for the first time this year. I put in two raised beds in my back yard.

Although I want nice, clean, nutrient rich, chemical free vegetables, I also want a green, healthy lawn (fertilizer) and I don't care to pull weeds every three days (herbicide). Even though I am using lawn fertilizers and herbicides outside of the direct gardening zone, is there any danger in the various chemicals infiltrating and affecting the soil in the raised beds?

Are there any natural remedies people use for weed and pest prevention?

90% of home gardening should be you pulling weeds as they pop up, and squishing bugs with your hands.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
(censored by Monsanto)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fozzy The Bear posted:

90% of home gardening should be you pulling weeds as they pop up, and squishing bugs with your hands.
If you're squeamish I've heard of using a needle however, I really like squashing the bugs and worms etc, along the tops of the edges of my raised beds. I've found more than a couple beneficial wasps eating a squished worm I'd left there as a sacrifice, as well as bringing in birds (who're beneficial for me as I've got no fruit or seed they're currently interested in.) The more time you spend in your garden handling every leaf and dealing with predators though, the more benefit you'll gain on multiple levels.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
My dad runs a commercial organic garden so I can pick his brain about whatever questions you guys may have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

coyo7e posted:

If you're squeamish I've heard of using a needle however, I really like squashing the bugs and worms etc, along the tops of the edges of my raised beds. I've found more than a couple beneficial wasps eating a squished worm I'd left there as a sacrifice, as well as bringing in birds (who're beneficial for me as I've got no fruit or seed they're currently interested in.) The more time you spend in your garden handling every leaf and dealing with predators though, the more benefit you'll gain on multiple levels.

Expanding on this: If you've got problems with slugs and snails buy a couple of ducks. Ducks love them some invertebrates.

• Locked thread