Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I live in Queens, and I'm trying to find the best, most reliable, cheapest, and fastest internet I can get. I currently have RCN, which is ok, but I feel like I'm paying way too much for way too little. 25 down for ~70$/m. Does anyone have experience with other providers in this area? I hear TWC is simply terrible, and I know FIOS is around here somewhere, and I've heard it's amazing, but it's only in select neighborhoods in Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

For what it's worth, I haven't had too many issues with TWC over the past few years. I have it now that I'm in Queens and it's been working fine for me. I'd say to stick with RCN until more details come out about the inevitable takeover by Comcast.

I should say that I'm just one person, and we have a thread dedicated to discussing NYC where we discuss this very issue seemingly every 10 pages. Come join us.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I have Optimum (in BK though, not Queens) and I'm paying $5 more than you for 100 down ~40/50 up depending on the time of day so I guess if you can get them way up in Queens you should do that. Don't give TWC your money because of the Comcast nonsense.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

The March Hare posted:

Don't give TWC your money because of the Comcast nonsense.

Agreed, TWC is a terrible company.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
There's every chance you don't have much choice. Coverage varies not just block by block, but building by building in many neighborhoods. I only have access to TWC and Verizon FiOS, for example.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
FIOS has been fantastic to me. My bill's only gotten cheaper over the years, and my internet service is much faster than what I'm paying for. Plus their customer service is excellent.

Also gently caress TWC.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Liar posted:

FIOS has been fantastic to me. My bill's only gotten cheaper over the years, and my internet service is much faster than what I'm paying for. Plus their customer service is excellent.

Also gently caress TWC.

gently caress you're lucky, I'm in Forest Hills and RCN only gets more expensive over time because....loyal customers should be charged more??! Forest Hills doesn't have FIOS. This why I'm trying to switch, I want to stick it to the man, but apparently there are no options unless I move somewhere specifically that has another provider available.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Megaman posted:

gently caress you're lucky, I'm in Forest Hills and RCN only gets more expensive over time because....loyal customers should be charged more??! Forest Hills doesn't have FIOS. This why I'm trying to switch, I want to stick it to the man, but apparently there are no options unless I move somewhere specifically that has another provider available.

After two years of being with them, I called up and said I wanted to cancel TV service because I was streaming more than I watch. To get me to keep it they knocked my bill from $105 a month to $87 a month, and then gave me HBO for half off for a full year. Then they gave one year of customer credit to cover the cost of HBO, so it's essentially free. Speed Test says I hit about 25 mbps, although I have the 15mbps package. They have a 50mbps package as well, although I couldn't fathom why I'd need it.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Liar posted:

After two years of being with them, I called up and said I wanted to cancel TV service because I was streaming more than I watch. To get me to keep it they knocked my bill from $105 a month to $87 a month, and then gave me HBO for half off for a full year. Then they gave one year of customer credit to cover the cost of HBO, so it's essentially free. Speed Test says I hit about 25 mbps, although I have the 15mbps package. They have a 50mbps package as well, although I couldn't fathom why I'd need it.

What streaming services do you use? It's off topic, but I'm also looking for a streaming service that plays the same exact time that shows normally play on TV, all so I don't have to get cable. Or is that not possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Megaman posted:

What streaming services do you use? It's off topic, but I'm also looking for a streaming service that plays the same exact time that shows normally play on TV, all so I don't have to get cable. Or is that not possible?

I'm not aware of anything that legally does that. My current streamers are Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Crunchyroll, and Funimation. Some channels have their own aps too; like Fox, History, Lifetime, etc.

• Locked thread