Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

I really wanted to like this, I love pirates and Malkovich. Which is why I'm wondering how they managed to make this so drat boring?

Does anyone know how the budget between this and Black Sails compare? Black Sails looks so much better.

Black Sails is Starz, but I was under the impression that premium movie channels had a smaller budget to work with than most mainstream TV networks like NBC, CBS, etcetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Black Sails also only did eight episodes; Crossbones seems to have 10, so the money is spread a little thinner, too. But I get the impression that Black Sails just overall has a more experienced and capable crew.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

eriktown posted:

Black Sails also only did eight episodes; Crossbones seems to have 10, so the money is spread a little thinner, too. But I get the impression that Black Sails just overall has a more experienced and capable crew.

And whomever they hired to do the score should be removed from the show. This is basically Cutthroat Island: The Series

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I really wanted to like this but can't. Every woman on the show is the same. There are bits of action here and there but immediately everyone stops and talks, and talks, and talks; then it cuts to a non-action scene with talking. It feels like the actors are being paid by the word. The writing is generic, the characters are generic, the show is crap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's always a pleasure to see John Malkovich, even in poo poo like this.

Good news, after the first episode or two reviewers say he's barely in the show at all!

:shepicide:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

Good news, after the first episode or two reviewers say he's barely in the show at all!

:shepicide:

lol, gently caress this dumb show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

I hated how little violence they showed. The fight at the beginning felt so tame. Every time someone was stabbed or
injured they cut away really fast before you saw anything.

That's not very piratey :colbert:

Unless HBO or AMC makes a pirate show (God I hope it's not AMC) we'll never get a proper one.

eriktown posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Alternatively an entire show of Archer taking the "pirate king" idea seriously. The whole, "I'm not gonna be a pirate... I'm gonna be a PIRATE. KING." bit was a crowning moment of awesome that really deserved better execution. I feel like "pirate king" was probably Archer's true calling.

I need to catch up on that show. The last episodes I saw before it got removed off Hulu I think was the pirate king episodes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 7, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The show cut away, so perhaps I missed something, but did Malkovich stab a guy in the neck out of spite and then try to question him?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Unless HBO or AMC makes a pirate show (God I hope it's not AMC) we'll never get a proper one.

I need to catch up on that show. The last episodes I saw before it got removed off Hulu I think was the pirate king episodes.

Have you tried Black Sails?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I think I'm out. This show is just too dumb/nonsensical, which would be fine if it also didn't take itself so seriously so often. But it seriously feels like every other scene has something inexplicably stupid in it, like the ship crew with hoods on their heads. Because you know, otherwise they'd be able to figure out how to get to this mysterious island presumably in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the day. From all the ocean landmarks that they'd be able to recognize.

Also maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't understand how a chronometer is going to forever stop piracy. The whole show is treating the ocean like it's some kind of city, and piracy only happens because ships are awful at navigating it and stumble into the wrong neighborhood.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, gently caress this show. Longitude is actually a good conceit for a naval show - it was the late 1700s equivalent of GPS - but there is zero reason for a pirate to care about it unless (as in Black Sails) he's trying to ascertain the location of a cargo,

Basically, Black Sails makes more sense than this crappy show without actually trying. Ugh.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Blackbeard was way better in Black Sails

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
I really wanted this to be good, but it's not, though.
It's utter poo poo!
Even John Malkovich is murdering his lines. Did they put Britta in charge of this show, because this is a total buzzkill!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Blackbeard was way better in Black Sails

too many pubes

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I liked the interaction between Malkovich and that other pirate captain that he knew from way back - their tense conversations were alright.

That being said another really hammy ghost scene and the huge fuckin' wink revealing what we already knew (Blackbeard was screwing over his old pirate pal without being made to look like the bad guy or a tyrant.. which was clever enough on its own without the big stupid wink shot) were both so over the top that they might as well be filming a parody movie. Why not just have him look at the guy and give a very slight grin before walking away?

This show is all over the place and none of it is that good. Tried to give it a shot but if Malkovich really isn't in the rest of the season then there's no point to watch it at all, really.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 8, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

but if Malkovich really isn't in the rest of the season then there's no point to watch it at all, really.

Especially given how much they crutch marketed the show on Malkovich. One think to market the poo poo out of a big-name actor to promote your show, entirely another to basically lie to your demographic.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm still tuning into this for the hilarious Malkovich performance. If that's true and they cut back on him, Lemon out.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Especially given how much they crutch marketed the show on Malkovich. One think to market the poo poo out of a big-name actor to promote your show, entirely another to basically lie to your demographic.

Yeah, they've put him on everything:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah, they've put him on everything:

Dudes knew the show sucked, that's why Malkovich.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm pretty sure Blackbeard had a katana in that scene.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was the most recent episode any better or is there no one still watching?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

There are lesser-watched showed with busier threads than this one.

If any goon is watching this poo poo, they ain't posting in here.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was the most recent episode any better or is there no one still watching?

No it's still pretty much a complete mess with no clear flow to anything, scenes that just kind of happen with no setup or explanation, and about a half dozen things that are inexplicably dumb. Like, I'd say a solid third of the episode just doesn't even attempt to make any kind of logical sense.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah this show definitely happened like this

"Okay, so pirates are a thing now, right?"
"Sure, Black Sails did well."
"So like, what I'm thinking is, wait, is Malkovich working on something? No? drat, his last movie was Knockaround Guys? Anyway, let's get him, put him in a pirate show."
"That's it?"
"We can just go off the pirates angle right?"

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have a friend trying to get me to watch this.

quote:

It's not as good as Hannibal, and y'know, I might just like it a lot cause there's some rad ships in it, but still you should put it on the sometime-list. I watched Black Sails, and at the time of watching was SO DISAPPOINTED. Every episode was a complete anti-climax, and the whole season amounted to the same. And, AND they never said th name's of their ships, which irked me. ANYWAY I thought(and I acknowledge that I'm jsut 1 man) that Crossbones was everything BS lacked, plus waaay more. Yeah so totally the polar opposite. I SO wanted BS to get good and it didn't. CB started great and is only getting better

(I ask about Malkovitch being the marketing focus but not actually being the focus of the show)

No there's a primary protagonist that isn't him, but he's second up. Oh! And there's a GREAT villain!

Does my friend just have terrible taste in TV?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sub Rosa posted:

Yes.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Sub Rosa posted:

The worst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No true friend would ask you to watch this dreck. Are they mad at you for some reason? What did you do?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

If you've already seen Black Sails there isn't really anything in Crossbones for you because it will feel like a terribly done almost parody. Even Malkovich is wasted and not worth watching this show for. I say this as someone that enjoys pirate movies/shows and will watch just about anything involving them.

Until someone bumped the thread after it fell five or more pages back I forgot this show was still on. Or is it not still on? Either way it's a waste from top to bottom unfortunately.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eriktown posted:

Pretty much Black Sails has the better overall production and more interesting overall concept while Crossbones was pretty much a wreck of the show that isn't a afraid to use the ol' bait&switch trick.

• Locked thread