Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Patton could never do the intro to Death March.

95 CENTS? gently caress YOU I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.

AND I'LL LOOK BETTER GETTIN' THERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Kins posted:

The Real Thing and Angel Dust are getting reissued, both as double CD and double 180g vinyl versions. The extra discs contain various B-sides and rarities that have been released in the past, but hey, fancy vinyl releases.

gently caress this poo poo bugs the hell out of me. I own a veritable museum of FNM cds, records and other media that they released. It's hard enough to keep up with everything that's out there.... Years ago I had a choice between the original 2lp version of Angel Dust or the re-release from the Master Tapes. I chose the Master Tapes re-release. Then they re-released it again recently. Now ANOTHER re-release is coming out with more songs. I'm sure I own the new songs included on the disc on some form of media or another, but it's just a pain. Just when I was stoked about completing their releases on vinyl.... Same with The Real Thing. I purchased the cool splatter vinyl re-release recently, and now another one comes out... That being said, just got the limited edition Sol Invictus in the mail. I'm happy I purchased the UK edition rather than the US one

Platypus Farm posted:

Time to out myself as a fan from after Chuck departed. In fact, until a few years ago, I didn't even know who he was.

I HUGE part of FNM's charm for me is Mike's ridiculous vocal stuff. I definitely love the eclectic music and the instrumentation, but for me, patton more or less makes the band what it is.

Chuck era Faith No More has its place, and I like those albums just as much as the Patton era ones. Those albums aren't just about Chuck's vocals, the music just had a different "funkier" west coast vibe, and a lot of the songs are really catchy. Some great Billy bass and Jim Martin guitar as well.

As someone else said, Anne's song probably never would have worked with Patton, and Arabian/Faster Disco either, just to give a few examples. The one song of that era that I think Patton made better was As the Worm Turns, which explains why they would play it a lot live. Also the Crab Song too is awesome with Patton

Edit: Great, now I need to buy the The Real Thing re-issue to get The Cowboy Song (most underrated FNM song IMHO, along with Hippie Jam Song) on vinyl

Duro fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 23, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ye. the there are some songs on the Chuck albums which belong in the upper tier of fnm songs. lots of them. Anne's song, faster disco, as the worm turns, Chinese arithmetic etc. and it's not just down to the vocals. I really believe they lost something when Jim left

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxv1gzId2Fk

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

And I thank you.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Duro posted:

Also the Crab Song too is awesome with Patton

These two quotes go well together.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm glad that by 1989 that Patton decided to stop looking like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nufEC9-Ovgg

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad that by 1989 that Patton decided to stop looking like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nufEC9-Ovgg

I can't believe I haven't seen this before! Some nice close ups of the band when they were kids as the cameraman heads up to the stage throughout 'Carousel' (20 minute mark).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Duro posted:

Chuck era Faith No More has its place, and I like those albums just as much as the Patton era ones.
Ever hear the demos of Chuck doing the Real Thing songs?

That's some weird alternate universe poo poo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Yes! I think I still have them on my hard drive, actually. I downloaded them eons ago from the Caca Volante FTP site. They had MP3s of all the oddball, hard-to-get tunes back in the day, and it only took 25 minutes to download each one.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

caligulamprey posted:

no. link?

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is that the "New Improved Song" demo?

I think I own that on a weird compilation record

If there was another Chuck Mosley Real Thing demo, then I didn't hear it and I'm quite curious

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Duro posted:

Is that the "New Improved Song" demo?

I think I own that on a weird compilation record

If there was another Chuck Mosley Real Thing demo, then I didn't hear it and I'm quite curious

New Improved Song... yes. For some reason, I'm thinking there was another one, but I can't find any proof of that.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tarlibone posted:

New Improved Song... yes. For some reason, I'm thinking there was another one, but I can't find any proof of that.

I actually think New Improved Song sounds great. I almost like it more than the Real Thing Version of The Morning After

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
NPR interview with Mike Patton
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/05/28/410264594/faith-no-mores-mike-patton-you-create-your-own-freedom
I like how he talks about the fact that he sees no meanings in his lyrics

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
seeing these fuckers in a few days. been told they're playing up to seven songs from the new album. hope not, it's boring as gently caress.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Patton's finally starting to look his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4A66hDQwrQ

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Chromatic posted:

Patton's finally starting to look his age.

Appearance, yeah. He looks like the guy that does my taxes. His voice however, is as strong as ever.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, that's honestly the best I can remember ever hearing Patton sound. Really wanted to hear that live version of Matador that was playing in the background during one of the interview parts, though. The live recordings I've seen of it so far haven't really done the studio version justice, so it would've been awesome to have a proshot, in-studio take of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Seeing them for the first time ever tonight, then again tomorrow night. Bonus - Napalm Death opening both shows

• Locked thread