Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

What is Nosgoth?
Nosgoth is a 3rd-person asymmetrical team-based competitive multiplayer game.

Matches feature a team of humans using ranged weaponry fighting against an all-melee vampire team. Each match is 2 rounds, so teams will get a chance to play both sides to determine the overall victor.

The game has a strong emphasis on teamwork, sticking together and working as a team is crucial to survival. Humans running around solo will be easily picked off and 1v1ed by Vampires, and Vampires running in one by one will be easily taken down by a Human team. Humans will need to stay grouped up and cover each other, and Vampires need to coordinate their assault to split up the Humans and focus down opportune targets.

How can I play?
Currently the game is in closed beta, with a buy-in option available.
Upon release the game will be free-to-play.

:siren: There’s currently (this weekend) a 58% discount on the base founders pack available from Green Man Gaming, which gives you access to the beta along with some in-game currency.

Game Modes
The primary game mode is a two-round team deathmatch, with each team playing both sides. There’s also a Siege mode, which involves Humans capturing map points while Vampires defend, and another mode confirmed but with no details yet.

Classes
There are currently four classes for each side, with at least one more for each known to be coming. You’ll have access to two classes for each side at first, but you get a free class unlock every 5 account levels (you can also unlock classes with real money).

Each class has access to two abilities and a weapon (or special ability for vampires). These can be swapped out for other equipment which you can unlock from the store. You can rent abilities for a week to try them out very cheaply (about one or two games worth of gold), and you’ll get a free one week random item every 5 class levels.

Humans

The Human classes all used ranged weaponry and abilities. They have limited ammo and do not regenarate health, but they can replenish both at healing stations scattered throughout the maps, which can each be used once per life.

The Hunter and Alchemist classes are both available permanently to all new accounts.

Hunter

The Hunter uses repeating crossbows, a bola which disables vampire attacks and climbing for a while if it hits, and three explosive arrows for large burst damage.
Alternatives include a burst fire crossbow, a large area damage timed grenade, and a projectile which blinds and damages Vampires.

Alchemist

The Alchemist uses a grenade launcher, and has access to a flashbang and an ability which creates a wall of flame at your location.
Alternatives include a triple-shot launcher, a flamethrower ability, and a healing zone.

Scout

The Scout uses a longbow, which also allows for a charged/zoomed shot for big damage at a long range, especially useful against flyers. He’s also able to throw knives to slow and damage vampires, and call in an archer volley to deal constant damage in an area.

Prophet
The Prophet just got released, details to come when I get a chance to read up on them.

Vampires

The Vampire classes all use melee combat, and often have gap closing and escape abilities to complement this. Vampires can regenerate some health to a cap after a delay, but healing to full requires feeding on dead humans.
Vampires cannot sprint, but are able to climb walls to get into better position to assault the human team.

The Reaver and Tyrant classes are both available permanently to all new accounts.

Reaver

The Reaver’s special ability is a charged pounce which will damage and incapacitate a human. He also has a smoke bomb which severely limits human vision in an area, and an escape ability which makes him very hard to kill, but disables attacking for the duration.

Tyrant

The Tyrant is the tank character and a strong initiator. His special ability has him charge into the enemy team, damaging and scattering any humans he collides with. He can follow it up with a ground slam to stun humans around him, and then escape if needed with his ignore pain ability.

Sentinel

The Sentinel is the only class that can fly, and is able to dive down to ground level to pick up a human and carry them away before dropping them from mid-air.

Deceiver
The Deceiver is a spy style class who can take the form of a human, and then once in position use their backstab ability to do increased damage from behind an enemy.

Media

Official trailer
A random screenshot
Another random screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Someone remade Vampire Slayer for HL1. Joy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Hey, is anybody else playing this? My friend just got me into the early access for it, but we're having trouble finding other guys to roll with. Might just be the time of night we're playing at. Game might just be bad! I dunno yet.

Vampires seem way more effective than humans so far, but my experience is admittedly pretty limited.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Hey, is anybody else playing this? My friend just got me into the early access for it, but we're having trouble finding other guys to roll with. Might just be the time of night we're playing at. Game might just be bad! I dunno yet.

My first match ever yesterday, it took a while to get started because no one was joining, ended up on an EU server, and somehow it broke and it became a hilarious 5v3 instead of 4v4.

A shame because it seemed actually pretty fun.

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014
Where do I find this game to install and play? The graphics and characters look good and looks fun to play with.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Vampires seem way more effective than humans so far, but my experience is admittedly pretty limited.

I think when you first start out it definitely seems that way, but in my experience it was because newer players tend to not play as a team as well, and vampires are almost always better in a 1v1 than humans.

I would definitely still consider the human round to be on the defence (and the vampires to be on the offence), but if the human team stays grouped up well they can definitely fight them off effectively.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hactar posted:

:siren: There’s currently (this weekend) a 58% discount on the base founders pack available from Green Man Gaming, which gives you access to the beta along with some in-game currency.

Can't do much wrong for 6 bucks, so I just went ahead and jumped in. I have to say, this is quite a bit of fun. The matches are short and fun, and the classes varied enough to keep things interesting. Currently the balance seems to strike slightly into the vampire's favour, but that might change with some more experience. Besides, with the two-rounds structure it's not a big deal anyways.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
My best match by far was when my team, as humans, did their best to hide the entire round. Like, find a dark closet, stash yourselves in the corner, don't let the vampires know where we are. It totals your points from both rounds, so by only letting the vamps get like 2 kills ever and only after they found us, we had to put in much less effort to vampire harder than they vampire'd when it came time for us to vampire. It was really silly and, yet, we won. Super stomped. It was hilarious. Just pray to god none of the enemy vamps are running Sentinels, since some of those can echolocate your team.

Lobby times are immense, especially at weird hours of the morning. It is beta/early access/whatever, though, so I guess it's to be expected.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Just hit 10. The more I play the more balanced it feels between both sides. The Prophet seems to be the most effective human class though, I've done way better with it than with any other class besides Reaver on vampire side. Does anyone have any tips for alchemist? I always do awful with that class and it seems like it should be better than I play.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, basically speaking teamwork is hella overpowered. I had a round where at the beginning we really got our poo poo pushed in as vampires, but over time everybody started coordinating with each other and by the end we completely turned it around. On that note, Sentinel is completely hilarious, but you really need a team that's able to distract the rest of the enemy team while you carry one of them off.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm struggling a bit with Sentinel, too, actually. I can't quite get the timing down on the kidnap, but sometimes I pull it off. Are you supposed to collide with them shortly AFTER the circle fills or DURING the filling? Gust seems like a really goddamn good ability for breaking humans up, I've been using it to good effect but the rest of the class eludes me so far. And yeah, a coordinated team can pull some hilarious comebacks. Playing with some friends last night, we took a game from like 14-0 humans winning when we joined in progress to evened up in the 20s at the end working together as vampires and taking advantage of our classes' abilities. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that best as humans, I'm finding it way easier to work together as vampires and haven't quite figured out how to use the various human abilities together.

On another note, did anyone else get emails about keys? They just gave me 3 more invites. Keeping one for a friend, but I can give the other 2 to the first PMs I get about it.

edit: thanks for the tips. I'll slot puncture and give that a shot. I'd noticed the 180 thing as well and was doing that divebomb already, it's pretty funny how consistently that combo works.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The kidnap starts working AFTER the circle has filled. That part is just the initial wind-up, apparently supposed to keep you from just popping it when you're already in somebody's face. After that you have about 2 or so seconds during which you'll snag a guy when you collide with them. An interesting thing I've noticed is that after being dropped, humans will almost always perform a 180° and try to run away back the way you flew with them. So if you turn around in midair right after dropping them and do the divebomb, you're very likely to hit them dead on with it.

For the other ability slot on the Sentinel, I actually prefer Puncture. Breaking up grouped up humans is generally easier done through the kidnap and maybe the divebomb (and the other classes, really), and it turnes out to be really helpful to be able to bust out some serious damage at will. Especially since often you'll come at the enemy from an unexpected angle and will have time to land it with ease.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So I tried that out and goddamn does it work. I've been letting my team break the group up and then picking targets out for kidnap/divebomb or punctures.

So for the other 2 people reading the thread... what loadouts are you running on the classes you play?

For hunter, I've gone with siege bow (is the burst one any good?), stuck with bolas, and grenades with tinkerer perk. I'm tempted to experiment with something other than tinkerer, but bolas seem so helpful I'm hesitant to switch. Anyone have any experience with the whip?
I'm not sold on grenades, and might go back to explosive shot. The damage dropoff seems too severe, but I might just be throwing poorly.

For prophet, heavy pistol (seems crazy good so far), the life-drain curse, and life leech. This shits out some serious damage, I'm always always top of the team for damage and kills with it, and it's leechy enough to stay alive. Tossing down a curse on a wall where a tyrant is going to miss his charge / clusterfuck melee fight where no one is aware what's up is great. I use the reduced cooldown perk here, to throw out more leeches. Leeching seems to be a great way to finish off a fight when the pistols run dry, or to snipe a fleeing sentinel.

Reaver, I'm using savage pounce, it hits about as easily as regular for me and for more damage. I tried leap attack for a while and it was nice for the sudden movement / chasing fleeing humans with the sprint perk, but I'm doing better with savage. Primary is shadow bomb. I tried choking haze and while I like it, I think the blinding effect is really nice in a melee to gently caress every human's aim, and it has the added benefit of breaking LoS for humans even if they're not in it. Tertiary, I still have evasion slotted, but I'm going to try haste later today, after I saw some people wrecking poo poo with it.

Sentinel, see above.

vvv Add me on steam, https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/marund, I've been playing with some goon friends pretty consistently and we usually have room for more.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 17, 2014

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Picked this up on a whim about a week ago but not really had the chance to play it yet. I would be up for learning the ropes with a few goons and trying a bit of online team poo poo.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Holy gently caress. Holy loving poo poo.

NO loving WAY.

Humans vs the mother loving KINGS OF THE UNDEAD?

ONLINE?!

competitive play?

No way. No mother loving way.

Is this real? Are you making GBS threads me right now? Nosgoth

N O S G O T H

That sounds so epic. Crossbows? Swords? Holy poo poo. Take all my money.

drat drat

nosgoth... my wallet :cry:

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
I use Phase for the Deceiver, as once my rental ran out I found I couldn’t really play the class effectively without it, it just seems much better than the illusions.

Other than that I’ve not unlocked any skills permanently, but I have tried out a few with rentals.

For the alchemist, the Light Bomb is a nice damage alternative to the Flashbang. The healing mist can be pretty solid if you’re with/against a team that is able to make good use of it, but giving up Firewall really hurts because it’s so drat good.

As Reaver I think choking haze is good, but the smoke bomb has always been so strong I’ve not really felt a need to swap it. I should play around more with their secondary abilities though, I’ve seen people putting shadow step to really good use recently. I’ll definitely be trying out Savage Pounce as well after seeing this video yesterday.

I rented the Whip last night, but I forgot to try it out in the game I played :(

I don’t have the Prophet or the Sentinel unlocked yet unfortunately. Nearly level 15 though!

Edit: My steam profile.

Edit edit: For the record, the heavy discount on the Founder’s pack is still on; there were also some keys sent out recently so if you post here you might be able to get a spare from someone who’s already in.

Hactar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 17, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

vvv Add me on steam, https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/marund, I've been playing with some goon friends pretty consistently and we usually have room for more.

Went ahead and added you if that's cool, it'd be nice to play with a coordinated team instead of relying on teammate roulette.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This seems interesting. I'll probably give it a shot tonigh if I the discount is still going. If you see some random friend requests on Steam, that's me.

Tapela
Dec 7, 2006
This game is really fun and if you played that hl1 mod then it'll click right away. Problems right now are teamwork is super loving important and people constantly screw their teammates by ragequiting for little reason. I have a few keys if some people are interested. One common misconception is that vampires are op or stronger, but the fact is humans are much more powerful than vampires in the current meta. The problem is its much easier to spam melee and w key than to twitch shoot, 4 organized people who can shoot will always give vampires a harder time right now.

Tapela fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 18, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I got the email with some keys. I gave one to a friend, don't need the other two. Feel free to snatch em up:

NECUMA-277-COFOPU-030 used

NECOMA-375-BAFAVO-006 used

http://www.nosgoth.com/redeem/key

This game is a lot of fun. More so with 2-4 people all chatting together. It's a very interesting balance between the asymmetrical teams.

The Crusher fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 28, 2014

misterevilcat
Apr 30, 2009
Took this key, thanks! NECUMA-277-COFOPU-030

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I like this game so far but the matchmaking is pretty wonky. I've been in some real massacres because it decided to group all of the newer guys together to get wrecked. Like it would be nice if there was an intermediate level lobby so you don't get thrown to the wolves with a bunch of dudes at max level as soon as you're past 10.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

The Crusher posted:

I got the email with some keys. I gave one to a friend, don't need the other two. Feel free to snatch em up:

NECUMA-277-COFOPU-030

NECOMA-375-BAFAVO-006

http://www.nosgoth.com/redeem/key

This game is a lot of fun. More so with 2-4 people all chatting together. It's a very interesting balance between the asymmetrical teams.

Some jerk took the other without saying he claimed it.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Game is really quite fun. It's like a cross between chivalry and l4d. There's a key giveway going on over here -

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/527/Nosgoth-Closed-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
The matchmaking is pretty horrible right now. People either have trouble getting into friend lobbies or when a game starts it puts members of your lobby on the enemy team. I believe they said they're going to be switching thier matchmaking to servers as opposed to whatever it is now, which should fix a lot of problems. Thankfully the game itself is pretty bug free, at least for me. Biggest bug I've had is getting stuck in a couple pieces of geometry or endlessly spiralling against a wall with the Sentinel's Q ability.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Bumnping this thread with updates; matchmaking still kinda hosed but now hosed in a new and interesting way. Frequently can't join friends due to a lack of connection to the "Party Server" but when it does work, it works pretty flawlessly at keeping you all on the same team.

Additionally, there's a free weekend coming up from the 7th to the 10th of August, so if you were unsure about dropping five bucks on what will soon to be a free-to-play game, now is the chance to check it out. Hopefully they'll have the Party Servers up and running before the weekend, otherwise it might be a poo poo experience if you've got friends.

OTHER THAN THAT, the gameplay is very fun. So play the vampire game. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
There’s actually another, somewhat more active thread now.

• Locked thread