Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
My cat Soma got diagnosed with asthma recently, any special tips/advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
What kind of litter do you use? Consider one that's practically 0 dust, like the pine, corn, walnut litters.

Do you have carpets in your house? A professional cleaning might be useful, but be very careful of any chemical fumes. Same thing with cleaning products - you want as mild as possible or even use steam for a lot of cleaning jobs. If you want to go super over the top, there's air purifers (only get one with a hepa filter) that can help air quality.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...

pandaid posted:

What kind of litter do you use? Consider one that's practically 0 dust, like the pine, corn, walnut litters.

Do you have carpets in your house? A professional cleaning might be useful, but be very careful of any chemical fumes. Same thing with cleaning products - you want as mild as possible or even use steam for a lot of cleaning jobs. If you want to go super over the top, there's air purifers (only get one with a hepa filter) that can help air quality.

I use litter with low dust, I did use crystal litter, but it got EVERYWHERE. Got tile floors, and an air purifier. The air purifier works wonders, he would even go lay next to it if he was having trouble breathing (before we took him to the vet).

Can exercise/moving around a lot potentially give him an attack?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Do you have an inhaler? Inhalers are the best :3:

If the asthma is controlled, he shouldn't be having attacks. You'd never know mine was asthmatic without his puffer.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...

Braki posted:

Do you have an inhaler? Inhalers are the best :3

I have a regular inhaler, haven't been able to get a kitty one. I also feel like that thing would terrify Soma lol

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

Bad Username posted:

I have a regular inhaler, haven't been able to get a kitty one. I also feel like that thing would terrify Soma lol

They get used to it really fast. There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube as well. We puff ours twice a day and it's no big deal. Btw our vet is willing to sign the prescription off for a Canadian pharmacy, both albuterol and its generics and Flonase/Flovent are cheaper there.

We've been doing it for almost 2 years now and unless the weather gets humid/mold spores are in the air she no longer has attacks.

She went from a cat that wouldn't play or run around because it would set her off, to a cat that's playful and even gets the zoomies once in a while. She has lost 2lbs so far because she's more active too, it's just nice to see her in such better shape enjoying life again.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
How much is albuterol (salbutamol is the Canadian name) and Flovent in the US? Flovent is pretty expensive and I am in Canada.

They do get used to it pretty fast - I puff mine before I feed him so he associates it with food. He got diagnosed about 2.5 years ago and we've gotten to the point now where we've weaned him off the salbutamol and he only needs the Flovent. He runs around, wrestles the other cat, etc. just fine. At the beginning we tried to keep him in the bathroom while we showered so the humidity would help his lungs but he hated it so we stopped. We did get a humidifier because it's really dry here but we haven't really even needed that lately.

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

Currently we pay around 55$ for the 125mcg/120 doses puffer of Flovent/Flixotide through Canada drugs. That's the one that at least 2 years ago was at least double the price in the US so the vet suggested going through a Canadian online pharmacy. The albuterol/salamol is much cheaper and lasts longer too.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I pay $68 for Flovent through my pharmacy but I have insurance that covers 90% of that so I don't really mind. The salbutamol was always cheaper but I finally weaned my cat off of it so it's not even really a concern anymore thankfully.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
I have albuterol in the people inhaler, I only used it before he went to the vet. He would have attacks and I would have him sniff it then spray it once. It helped a lot, and the veterinarian said it was good that I did that. He hasn't had any attacks or even breathing problems since the visit, so hopefully my current inhaler will suffice until I can get his own. :3:

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Is he on any sort of steroid right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
He is on prednisolone and clavamox. He has theophylline, but that's only for if he has an episode.

• Locked thread