Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Biting the bullet and need to learn to draw machines.

Earth to Terra
Jul 11, 2013

I haven't had much time to draw lately, but I sketched a rocket-man.

bitmap posted:

uh also if anyone is interested

Thanks for that. It's cool (and helpful) to see other people's processes.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Been really out of practice on my wacom, so I've been trying to get back into it and working on this for a couple of days. It's eventually going to be part of a birthday present for my girlfriend - I'm sort of trying to ape the style of the character portraits for GTA5 - soft shading with hard black outlines. Initially I wanted to do something with some really extreme perspective, have the camera close to her legs and her head futher away, but it proved almost impossible to get the shot correct and still have it look even remotely like her. I'm not much of a portrait artist at the best of times, so I settled for something a little simpler, then gave it a funny angle.

Anyway, I'm pretty drat pleased with the progress so far, but if there's something that looks odd let me know, I've been looking at it for so long it feels like I'm wearing blinders.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I somehow got talked into making a 60-second claymation for a gallery show in August to be attended by real people, even though I've never made a claymation before - or, indeed, an animation longer than two seconds - so I'm going to have to learn a lot very quickly.

The beginning.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Hacker Tactics: Holding Data Hostage

Cybercriminals are getting better at circumventing firewalls and antivirus programs. More of them are resorting to ransomware, which encrypts computer data and holds it hostage until a fee is paid.

-Ian Urbina in the New York Times

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Hernando posted:

Hacker Tactics: Holding Data Hostage

Cybercriminals are getting better at circumventing firewalls and antivirus programs. More of them are resorting to ransomware, which encrypts computer data and holds it hostage until a fee is paid.

-Ian Urbina in the New York Times

Really cool concept!

Here are some drawings from this week.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Apparently people liked my last album cover and wanted another one so here goes:

Is the contrast ok? Don't know if I should make it even darker without ruining details.

Edit
Also, animal!

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 28, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Imaginary Friend posted:

Apparently people liked my last album cover and wanted another one so here goes:

Is the contrast ok? Don't know if I should make it even darker without ruining details.

Edit
Also, animal!

I like it alot! Personally, there's only two things I would change - the glasses on the snout seem to sit really far down, and they distract from the eyes since they're so white. Initially I thought the glasses WERE the eyes. There's also a lot of empty space around the outside perimeter of the picture. I also like the proportions and framing as it is, but if there were just a few hints of other tree shapes, either shadows or loose sketching on the left and right sides, I think it would look pretty cool. As it is, with the lighting it kind of looks like a copse of trees inside a cave.

But still, that's fantastic - I really dig the scratchy quill-like texture of the lines.

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
Been working on bobblehead versions of horror characters for DBH. Getting better with cleaner lines, having a hard time with Freddy's scarring.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Some storefronts on Stephen Avenue, Calgary.

First time I've really sat down in a busy public space to sketch. Kinda fun though, had all sorts of people walk up to take a look and chat a bit.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This drawing looked really flat once I photographed it, so I added some charcoal in PS. The original 11x14 looks ok in just ink.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ultra quick cartoon sketch.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 29, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Randomly decided to draw a meatball in a hat.

Reference: https://senseofrightalliance.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/freddy-vs-jason.jpg

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Suggestions for next month?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Mechanical Magics! Robots, pipes, trains and stuff! I'd love to see peoples take on that.

McKilligan posted:

I like it alot! Personally, there's only two things I would change - the glasses on the snout seem to sit really far down, and they distract from the eyes since they're so white. Initially I thought the glasses WERE the eyes. There's also a lot of empty space around the outside perimeter of the picture. I also like the proportions and framing as it is, but if there were just a few hints of other tree shapes, either shadows or loose sketching on the left and right sides, I think it would look pretty cool. As it is, with the lighting it kind of looks like a copse of trees inside a cave.

But still, that's fantastic - I really dig the scratchy quill-like texture of the lines.
Thanks for the feedback. I was going for some kind of framing with just a few trees and stuff (kind of like this but with less obvious?) but guess that didn't come through and the guys from the band wanted it more ghostly so I'm going to add more to the bg now. The coloring isn't quite done yet so I'll try to make the glasses less distracting as well.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 29, 2014

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I just bought a tablet! I'm hoping this will make me actually draw, because aside from a figure drawing class I took last year, I've drawn like 5 things since I was in primary school. 2 of them were this month though!

first attempt to use it, random figure painting thing from some photo as reference: linked because nudity?

overly time-consuming laptop touchpad art (aka why I bought the tablet because fuckkkk):

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Humboldt Squid posted:

Suggestions for next month?

Violence and some old timey face biffing would be cool. Trying to more dynamic with forces and perspective at the moment.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I'm more partial to robots.

Also, @The Duke of Avon: No way. I mean, with that quality of drawing with this little practice you might take into consideration the possibility of you being the Art Jesus. I fffffff... this tablet of mine, and it's already a couple months old.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 29, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Been a hella busy last couple of weeks, not had nearly enough time to art, but things should clear up a bit soon.

Trying to get to grips with my old graphire tablet, I never really clicked with it, but I wanted to give it another shot. Turns out, making sure the graphire is working at the same aspect ratio as my monitor helps a ton, whoda thunk?

Still nothing I'm in love with, but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with it now: looking forward to having time to just sit and spend a day with podcasts and tablet.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Did you start with some underlying structure? If not, try slapping some in there in a separate layer to look at your proportions, and I think you'll find that many of them are off. It's quite wonky too. I don't mean to poo poo on you, but it reminds me of some things I've made when I've dived in way too deep and tried to do a lot of stuff at once. To avoid that, I'd go: upright lineart -> shading -> tilted crop.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fanart of the walleyed cat knight for HARKOVAST.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Thank you for this: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Harkovast

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

noggut posted:

Did you start with some underlying structure?

I didn't, really this one was more about getting used to making lines with the stylus and learning the tool. You're right, though, it was pretty lazy of me. Thanks for the advice!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

New thread is up!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647135

• Locked thread