Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine recently picked up a '98 Forester. Auto, A/C. etc. 22,000 miles (!) Got it super cheap (for here) on account of it having a missing tooth on one of the gears inside the transfer case.

Last night, the missing tooth found its way out of the transfer case. Violently.

He's now shopping for a replacement transmission.

Here's the dispute. He's found a source for used transmissions, and those guys say that he can use anything from model years 1998-2002. His mechanic OTOH says that there's difference between the 1998 model year and all subsequent... a transmission from a later year will bolt up OK but the wiring harnesses are different.

so... who's right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
His mechanic is probably right. As I understand it, there was a change in 1998 to the 4EAT transmission which (I think) also changed the wiring. Your buddy's tranny might be from before that change, but the safest route is to look at the model code on the transmission itself and get an identical replacement. Stop by the Subaru thread; there's bound to be somebody who knows better.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
thanks! I'll pass your info along.

• Locked thread