Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
is that it got people to shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The next one is going to be called Souls of Creation.

Don't worry OP this is just the calm before the Dark Souls.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

best part of dark soul 2 is that it had a different director so i can still get hyped as gently caress for the next souls game without the lovely taste of dark souls two creating reservations in my mind.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
when you finish lost bastille that poo poo was long and boring

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

It's when you click the Uninstall button. Chears, big ears!

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Why is dark souls 2 bad compared to the first. I haven't been paying attention.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ninety posted:

it isn't unless you are retarded

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ekster posted:

Alas,

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It has really bad/boring level and enemy design from both an art and gameplay perspective.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

It has really bad/boring level and enemy design from both an art and gameplay perspective.

All non-boss guys in Dark Souls 1 had a really generic look, only ones that looks somewhat interesting were the basalisks with their big testicle eyes.

I think the DS2 bosses are about on par with the DS1 bosses though.

Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Ekster posted:

Dec 26, 2012

for real though the level design is definitely less well thought out and more linear which is definitely a sahme

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
So more like Demon's Souls in terms of level design?

Dec 26, 2012

even more so

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Level design was more in the vein of Shadow Tower/King's field 4/Demon Souls

lets not forget how many people went over to the graveyard and spent hours trying to find out where the hell to go next.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

ninety posted:

my only real complaint is that dk2 zones are not as interesting. The level design felt close enough on par with the first game, there just isnt as much cool trees and what not to see

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

All non-boss guys in Dark Souls 1 had a really generic look, only ones that looks somewhat interesting were the basalisks with their big testicle eyes.

I think the DS2 bosses are about on par with the DS1 bosses though.

Sure but from a gameplay point of view they were mostly used with the environment in a way that complimented the core mechanic - single target lock on combat.

in DS2 the designer farted out enemies in a pretty stupid way. Since a lot of levels are all wide hallways and the AI is still trash with no aggro range the game encourages you to play it as a lovely cover shooter to an much greater degree than the previous games.

Instead of challenging encounters you get alternating annoying and pathetic experiences. you've got swarms of exploding enemies in rooms with npcs, great bow traps in rooms that are too wide to create crossfire, giant pigs literally camping on top of a bonfire, and practically every crystal lizard in the game sitting in the same room with clear line of sight out of their aggro range so you can plink a dozen to death without trying.

feel free to take these criticisms with a grain of salt, it's still true that

quote:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

Sure but from a gameplay point of view they were mostly used with the environment in a way that complimented the core mechanic - single target lock on combat.

in DS2 the designer farted out enemies in a pretty stupid way. Since a lot of levels are all wide hallways and the AI is still trash with no aggro range the game encourages you to play it as a lovely cover shooter to an much greater degree than the previous games.

Instead of challenging encounters you get alternating annoying and pathetic experiences. you've got swarms of exploding enemies in rooms with npcs, great bow traps in rooms that are too wide to create crossfire, giant pigs literally camping on top of a bonfire, and practically every crystal lizard in the game sitting in the same room with clear line of sight out of their aggro range so you can plink a dozen to death without trying.

feel free to take these criticisms with a grain of salt, it's still true that

Honestly I'm still waiting for the love child of monster hunter and dark souls. Monster hunter bosses could wreck people in tons of ways, and those bosses put in a regular game with a more open world would be ideal.

Also with the havoc engine to show guys getting sliced in half from a nargacuga.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I love how whenever someone mentions something obviously stupid and broken in the PC thread the usual train of idiots bust out the "bububut th-the flow of time is DISTORTED in Drangelic...." remarks like with that horrible windmill elevator

Everytime the thread moves toward talking about the game's bad hitboxes I silently pray someone unironically tries to tie it into that phrase

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
in retrospect the levels in dark souls felt better interconnected and more fun to explore than the ones in dark souls 2, but dark souls 2 has way better online on the pc so i'd say ds2 is better overall

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

notZaar posted:

in retrospect the levels in dark souls felt better interconnected and more fun to explore than the ones in dark souls 2, but dark souls 2 has way better online on the pc so i'd say ds2 is better overall

Does OG Dark Souls still have online after windows live went down for PC guys?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

notZaar posted:

That's fair.
Personally though, I feel most of the multiplayer is unnecessarily grindy and not as well intergrated into the normal experience of playing the game since outside of legacy modes like coop it heavily relies on various iterations of arena deathmatch vs. the heavier emphasis on frequent invasion in inconvenient places in the first game.

Dec 26, 2012

i like the covenants and how they actually all work and do things now but 500 for the max rank reward in blue sentinels/brotherhood of blood is pretty dumb and bullshit, especially brotherhood where you lose rank if you dont win and your soul memory will keep ticking up

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Does OG Dark Souls still have online after windows live went down for PC guys?

I don't know if you would even be able to tell. Online for DS PC was total poo poo.

Soral
May 30, 2009

dark souls and dark souls 2 are both fun & cool games that i enjoy, well cya

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The best part of Dark Souls II is seeing what all the bosses from Dark Souls I would have looked like if they were redesigned by someone really boring

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
It's the people in the comments section for the broken as gently caress 20 minute speed run that don't know the difference between a glitch the development team missed and using a cheat device to modify the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

binocular rolling unlocks infinite stamina mode and rolling into parried enemies turns on no clip.

i take it all back goty

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

SeXReX posted:

It's the people in the comments section for the broken as gently caress 20 minute speed run that don't know the difference between a glitch the development team missed and using a cheat device to modify the game.

is there a game you don't have speedrunning drama about? it's great.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

SeXReX posted:

wanna meet this speedrun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

The Protagonist posted:

wanna meet this speedrun

http://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex/b/535570736

• Locked thread