Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Statue of Liberty, Midnight, June 10th, 1965

You all got the letter. You all followed the instructions, because you all wanted to understand the strange powers you had been bestowed with. But from the looks of things, there was nobody around- the building was completely deserted, except for those who had been called to it.

Then he showed up.

He didn't look exactly like the picture he'd sent, but in spite of looking somewhat more disheveled, he was recognizable enough that you could tell almost immediately that he was L.H.O. He sat down on a step and lit a cigarette. He glanced at his watch, then muttered a profanity under his breath.

"I'm sorry I kept the five of you waiting. As you may or may not have gathered, my name is Lee Harvey Oswald, or L.H.O. as I referred to myself in the letter I sent you." He took a drag from his cigarette. "I didn't say as much as I could have in the letter, because I'm a man on the run; setting this meeting up was enough of a risk as it stands, so I'll try to go through this as quickly as I can."

"The power you all have is known as a Stand. It's a projection of the energy of your soul; it can manifest as a separate being of sorts, or it can attach itself to an object-" he gestured towards his holster, which held a Thompson-Center Contender handgun- "and imbue it with special powers. Unlike yours, mine isn't natural; I defected to the Soviet Union after discovering the secret of the man you call President, and while I was in Moscow, they experimented on me and gave me a Stand, code-named Wax Simulacra. I used my Stand in an attempt to end his evil, but he countered with his own Stand, and thwarted my attempt. Because mine is artificial, I suspect that it is too weak to take on President Kennedy's in a fair fight; however, all of you have natural Stands, and I have reason to believe that they are stronger than mine."

He stood up, took another drag from his cigarette, then tossed it into the air, unholstered his gun and fired it at the ground; miraculously, the cigarette burst into a cloud of embers.

"My Stand's main ability is that, when I fire a gun that has the Stand attached to it-" the smoke coming out of the Contender's barrel took on a strange purple hue- "I can control the path of my bullets. While it's tempered by the fact that I'm something of a good shot even without its help, it's really only useful at long range, which is why I'm fairly lucky that my Stand has the secondary ability of remote viewing. When I said that I had been watching the five of you, I was being literal- I noticed you while scouting for Stand users and made a general note of your whereabouts, and paid attention to you to see if reaching out to you would be worth my time. There were plenty of others I found, but either Kennedy got to them before I could, or they just weren't as suited to it as you were." He sat back down. "Any questions?"

Our cast of characters is Gary Indiana/Trouble Man (K Prime), Jack N. Diane/Paper in Fire (SunAndSpring), Michael Jacques N./Sully Masks (Tollymain), Josue Jonasen/The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Unknown Quantity), and Victoria Nunez Velasquez-Nacion/Mr. Hurricane (potatocubed). I'm :toxx:ing myself on this PbP: if I don't post at least once a week in the thread up to the point where it ends (for a status update at the very least, since I'm not going to discount the possibility of Murphy's Law biting me in the rear end), I'll eat a ban. I'm hoping to be able to post more than once a week, but I'm setting once a week as my bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Gary

"Wait." Gary looks at LHO, nonplussed.

"Are you saying the president is..." Gary looks contemplative. "Well, The Man is trouble." He chuckles. "But, what are you saying the president did?"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Lee pointed his finger at Gary and struck an absurd pose.

"You may have heard about the race between the Americans and the Soviets to land a man on the moon. It may seem like the American government has just been trying to do that for the sake of the achievement- but this is a ruse!"

He relaxed his pose and lowered his hand.

"When I served in the Marine Corps, I was briefly stationed in Mexico, where we discovered a set of stone masks. Nothing appeared to be odd with them, but when one of my squadmates attempted to put one on as a joke, it dug into his head, killing him instantly- or so we thought. He came back minutes later as a slavering beast, hellbent on devouring the blood of his former friends!" Lee became noticeably agitated as the story went on. "We were able to escape, but not before my former squadmate devoured another of us- if it hadn't been close to dawn, we likely all would have died. When we got back to base, the mask was confiscated and sent to the White House, and our superiors were ordered to execute us. I barely made it out alive, and when I defected to Russia I was made aware by my handlers that President Kennedy had used the mask on himself and had begun feeding off of young women in Washington, DC."

He took a deep breath, and lit another cigarette.

"The reason why the moon is significant is because there is reportedly a stone on the moon that, when inserted into a stone mask, amplifies its power and has the potential to turn its wearer into a god- an ultimate being. The Americans are trying to reach the moon so that Kennedy can harness the stone's power; the Russians are trying to reach the moon to capture or destroy the stone before Kennedy can acquire it."

"Does that answer your question?"

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 8, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Jack

Jack runs his hands through his hair and laughs. "I'd always thought politicians were vampires, but this takes it to a whole other level. So, you're the would-be presidential assassin, huh? What is President Dracula's Stand like? You must've saw it when you tried to put a bullet through his head."

edit: pretend I never said that poo poo about the assassination taking place in the day if you saw that. Didn't read the OOC post. Super sorry.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 8, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Michel

"You say that Kennedy got to the other Stand Users before you did. Do you mean recruiting or elimination?"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Lee sighs.

"I don't really know what his Stand looks like, Jack. I saw a hand come out and stop the bullet I fired, and that was the extent of it- maybe if I'd stuck around, I'd have seen a little more, but my Stand can't make a gun quieter so when it didn't work out, I had to run the hell away."

He turned his attention to Michel.

"Both, Michel. Most of the ones I saw took him up on his offer- the ones who didn't, got assassinated by the ones who did, and because my Stand isn't the strongest in the world I wasn't able to save any of them," he said. "I'm not going to try and claim that none of them are salvageable; they're not joining Kennedy on honest terms. He's spewing a whole bunch of patriotic bullshit and saying that the best way to help American interests is by using their Stands for his purposes, and because he's drat charismatic they're going for it."

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 10, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Victoria

Vic takes a long drag on her own cigarette before speaking.

"You got me to drive the whole length of the country so you could ask me to assassinate the president? The president who is also a vampire?"

She smirks.

"Sure, why not? I'm feeling revolutionary. DC's not far from here - we could head up there tonight, get it done tomorrow, and be back to our usual business by the end of the week."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Josue

Josue mentally weighed the options. Join a soviet plot to kill the president who is also a vampire, or go back home and either be given an ultimatum, or, if this guy's full of poo poo, do nothing of interest since the league is due to crumble any day now. It was a pretty simple choice.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm up for it. Assuming you've got a plan that isn't 'charge Capitol Hill in broad daylight', I'm in." He smiles wryly. "I voted Republican anyway."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Gary

"Nixon, seriously?" Gary makes a face. "That's just beyond unhip, man."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Lee smiled.

"Seems like it didn't take all that much to get y'all in on this. My suggestion actually would be to storm Capitol Hill in broad daylight- he'd be boxed in if not outright asleep, he would potentially be unable to use his Stand or his vampiric abilities without potentially revealing himself to everyone else in the general area, an-"

He stopped speaking and let out a grunt of pain, and blood began to run from his mouth and stain the front of his shirt as he crumpled to his knees. A dark red arm began to materialize, revealing that a Stand had punched straight through his chest. Eventually the rest of the Stand became visible, and it lifted Lee up with its arm:

It spoke, but its mouth didn't move.

"It's... a shame you all came here," it said in a deep voice, but without its mouth appearing to move. "My Disorder will kill all of you before you can even find me, let alone Lord Kennedy. Maybe you could have seen the light and joined him if you hadn't thrown your lot in with this man." It withdrew its arm from Lee's chest, causing Lee to drop to the ground face-down in a pool of his own blood, and vanished into the darkness, laughing maniacally.

behind-the-scenes stuff: Lee had the aspect "Hunted By JFK" as his trouble, so I compelled that to have Disorder attack right now. Don't worry, dude who's playing Milo, I haven't forgotten about you- it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Milo and HBFS to attack in this specific situation.

I didn't handle the attack itself mechanically because it's an NPC-on-NPC action and isn't directly screwing any of you over, just making the situation more interesting. Lee is effectively taken out for the purposes of this fight, though.

Turn order is Gary/Josue/Victoria (all of you have +2 to Quick, so y'all work out how to break the tie), Disorder, and then Jack/Michel (ditto, except +1). All of you are in a single Zone (the outside of the Statue), though the inside of the building, the ferry building, and the river are also available zones to move to.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 10, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Victoria

"What?!" In a flash Vic's own gun is in her hand, a hefty revolver in matte black, but she's got no target.

"Mr Hurricane! Get out here!" Mr Hurricane shimmers into view, hovering over her with its long razor of a sword drawn.

"I hope one of you guys has got some light," she says. "I can't kill what I can't see."

I was going to create an advantage but...
Creating an advantage (Careful): 4dF+0 -2
...it didn't go well.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The advantage you were trying to create (I'm assuming based on the rest of the post) is something that the opponent can't use, so nothing happens.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Josue

"Can't be bothered to show yourself and fight like a man? Fine. Come on, boys!" Josue makes a rallying motion. A bit of dust rolls in as the three phantom pistoleros fade into existence in front of him.

"Cover your ears and keep your eyes peeled; I'm about to light the place up." Not long after, the three gunmen begin firing in directions that deliberately miss, opting to light the area with the strobe effect of repeated muzzle flashes.

Just as an FYI, this is my first time using Orokos. I tested it out a few times earlier today to see if it worked when I was still under the impression that what I wanted was to Overcome, but decided against it. Anyway...

Create Advantage (Literally Flashy) 4dF+3 +4

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Defend (Careful): 4dF+2 = 3

Disorder attempts to defend but fails, causing a new aspect to be created that can be invoked for free (Lit Up Like A Christmas Tree: the muzzle flash is disrupting Disorder's invisibility by making the immediate area too bright).

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Gary

"What the hell?!" Gary dives behind a nearby pillar. I really don't want to use Trouble Man... he'd bring this whole place down! One, I might die, and two, I'd be in huge trouble for destroying the Statue of Liberty!

Gary pushes his back to the pillar. If I go around to the left, I might be able to get behind him!

Krysmbot KZA, -++/+1 = 2 sneaky to place Somewhere to Hide!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Defend (Careful): 4dF+2 = 2

Disorder attempts to track your movements, and mostly succeeds, but it loses you for long enough that you get a Boost- Someplace to Hide is placed and can be invoked once for free, then goes away.

The black Stand assesses its options, and decides to make a break for it and try to regain its invisibility. It turns around and starts bolting for the ferry station, which is currently dark.

Overcome (Quick): 4dF+2 = 1

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Michel

As Disorder attempts to retreat, Michel slips out of the shadows from behind another pillar (when did he disappear?). One of the shadows trails after him. "Not so fast! Sully Masks!"

The shadow lashes out along the ground and winds itself around the enemy Stand's feet with surprising speed...

Defend: 4dF+3 6 drat

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Disorder stops in its tracks and the aspect Snared Enemy is created, and can be invoked once for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Jack

His vision was red. He had no idea who the user was, but did it really matter? They had attacked someone doing the right thing, and it was only fitting that they be punished for it. But what was fitting punishment enough? Paper in Fire was hideously strong; he had made it bend steel once while testing his limits. But was a simple eating really the justice this assassin deserved? No, there was something much more poetic in store for him.

As Sully Masks pinned Disorder, Jack sent Paper in Fire to grab Oswald's gun. His Stand ejected the clip and worked its magic on the bullets inside. "Hey, rear end in a top hat! My friend's a bit indisposed at the moment, so he can't pay you back for your little trick. Guess I'll have to do."

On the last word, he flicked his lighter back and lit the bullets. He then immediately hurled the clip at Disorder, laughing as he sent his impromptu grenade at the monster.

Attack (Forceful): 4dF+3 4 I invoke my Stand's power to ignite the bullets in Oswald's gun and hopefully set that douche on fire as well. I'll also invoke Snared Enemy and Lit Up Like A Christmas Tree to insure this lands on that bastard.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread