Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been toying with the idea of making jerky in a pseudo-historically accurate manner, just to try it. I intend to make a semi-dry rub paste as a cure, rub it over the meat, cure it for X hours (24? 48) in the fridge, shake off the excess paste, and dehydrate overnight at 90 degrees. Someone else suggested a 2:1 or 3:1 sugar:salt ratio.

I was curious about a couple of things:

1) If I don't use nitrites, am I still taking too much of a risk to merit doing this?
2) How long should I dehydrate at 90? How long should I cure it?
3) How does this look like for a paste to go over around 3lbs of London broil sliced thin?

Flesh and juice from 2-3 mangoes
2 cups pineapple chunks
10 cloves garlic
2" peeled fresh ginger
2 habanero peppers
1 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Blend the above and use it as a cure. If it's too juicy, I'll add more dry spices. Too dry, I'll add more garlic.

Too much salt? Thoughts?

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MJP posted:

I've been toying with the idea of making jerky in a pseudo-historically accurate manner, just to try it. I intend to make a semi-dry rub paste as a cure, rub it over the meat, cure it for X hours (24? 48) in the fridge, shake off the excess paste, and dehydrate overnight at 90 degrees. Someone else suggested a 2:1 or 3:1 sugar:salt ratio.

I was curious about a couple of things:

1) If I don't use nitrites, am I still taking too much of a risk to merit doing this?
2) How long should I dehydrate at 90? How long should I cure it?
3) How does this look like for a paste to go over around 3lbs of London broil sliced thin?

Flesh and juice from 2-3 mangoes
2 cups pineapple chunks
10 cloves garlic
2" peeled fresh ginger
2 habanero peppers
1 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Blend the above and use it as a cure. If it's too juicy, I'll add more dry spices. Too dry, I'll add more garlic.

Too much salt? Thoughts?

I've read that the acid or something in pineapples will turn meat to mush if left on it too long... Might want to check on that?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

nwin posted:

I've read that the acid or something in pineapples will turn meat to mush if left on it too long... Might want to check on that?

Mangoes have tenderizing enzymes too, maybe more so than pineapple. Also, if all the odds and ends you're using are "pseudo-historic" enough for you why not use just something like tender-quick salt with nitrites added?

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 12, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Myron Baloney posted:

Mangoes have tenderizing enzymes too, maybe more so than pineapple. Also, if all the odds and ends you're using are "pseudo-historic" enough for you why not use just something like tender-quick salt with nitrites added?

Because I'm trying to keep nitrites down. I've read pro and anti nitrite stuff and there's enough confusion and lack of real authoritative "nitrites = OK" for me to keep an eye out for them.

I did a batch of jerky with about 6oz of pineapple juice last week amongst the ingredients, around 2.75lbs of beef was involved. I marinated for 24 hours. With the jerky strips cut at around 1/4" max thickness, there was no such mush action happening. It did OK in keeping things tender, IMO, at least more so than less-acidic/no-acidic marinades I've done before.

I guess my pseudo-historic approach is more to utilize what might have grown in Jamaica circa 1785ish or around the era of British naval dominion in the Caribbean, and rather than dry in the sun just cheat with the dehydrator, to see what it might have been like.

If I need to add more salt, then so be it, I'll add more salt. I'm just not keen on adding nitrites, really.

• Locked thread