Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
This is the general discussion thread for Beneath the Red Steel Sky game. The players are

code:
Jack Daniels	 areyoucontagious
Giorgio Riverre	 Zerilan
Jenkins	         Coward
Argo	         Spincut
Temp Agency	 neonchameleon
Please decide your Hx, and use this thread to discuss the game once it begins. Which will be in a couple of days. I'll make a new thread for it, and we can use this one for discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Jenkins, please finish your gear listings too, thanks.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hx for The Temp Agency is easy. None of you knows all of me - you all start with Hx -1 (unless you somehow overwrite it). Slight tweaks: Safire's at present unarmed (no Duchess means no free gang membership - guess she's paranoid) while rather than being in Silver's gang, Gams has free passage through Duchess' territory, no questions asked.

And Spincut, apparently we're Banned From Argo.

The Temp Agency posted:

Most people didn't even know of the eclipse just over 20 years ago, never mind that it was an astrologically significant event. In fact there were only eight people in the world who recognised it for what it was, and none of them were in a position to do anything about it.

There were seven babies born under the total solar eclipse. Seven babies who had nothing to do with each other ... other than that they were in telepathic contact. Within three hours it was six - six babies who started screaming at exactly the same second (not that anyone else knew that). And when they dreamed they dreamed each others' lives. Five years later, all five survivors had two imaginary friends, one very tiny baby called Jastor, and a mischievous five year old called Rolfball. And in the next ten, three of the five died.

But things changed with the death of Lilly. She, rather than heading to join the knot, went to see her best friend first, and was able to invite her to into the network, although this exhausted her ghost and it took her weeks to recover and make a presence among the gestalt. But it was saved from being terrified what would happen after the last of them died. In a twisted spot of black humour, the gestalt named itself "The Temp Agency" and the dead ones (who were the only ones who could actually see the others, although they could provide flashes of insight) started trying to unravel the secrets of the Maelstrom they lived in. Since then there have been four further deaths, all four joining the gestalt and finding a replacement.

The Temp Agency

Weird +2

Luck
The Temp Agency has seen many things from many angles and can sometimes provide guidance to those not a part of it.
At the beginning of the session, roll+weird. On a hit, give +1 to everyone else making a beginning-of-session move. On a 10+, mark experience for each other’s beginning- of-session move that also hits with a 10+. On a miss, give -2 to everyone else making a beginning-of-session move.

Martyr
Almost all members of the Temp Agency currently living know what will happen to them after death. It's not as great a fear for them as for many (not that they want it) - and they know that others do not have the same luxury. So they commonly take reckless chances to save those they care about. And each added adds new information to the Temp Agency
When you take a blow for another player’s character, mark experience. When anyone of your secret society dies, mark experience.

Sustaining influence
The Temp Agency recruits its own replacements. On one occasion unwillingly.
When anyone of your secret society dies, erase their information from your playbook and create a new person to replace them. Use the same secret society
segment or an unused one

Hx
Jenkins: 0
Argo: +2
Jack Daniels: +2
Giorgio:+1

1XP
0 Advances

Dutch posted:

Hard +2, Hot -1, Hot 0, Cold 0 {Weird +2}

Male, Dapper, Shaven

* I’m in Jack Daniels gang.
* I have a brother, Jinte, who’s also a fuckin badass.
* I have a shotgun (3-harm close messy) and impressive body armor (2-armor).
* I have a gig doing violence for pay, worth 1-barter every couple weeks.

"You don't want to join them. Seriously. I've heard stories." Even dreamed it, but I'm not saying so right now. "Their boss, Guns, is a @#$%ing backstabbing #@&%." Can't say how I know that. But again, I've dreamed of her shooting someone who trusted her. Shotgun in the small of the back.

"Me? Who do I work for? Jack Daniels. New guy. Bit ambitious. He'll not go as far as he thinks. But that's better than sitting 'round, waiting for the end. Got some good ideas. And neither too hard nor a pushover. Good all round. And something to protect, other than my brother, just gives me that extra something. Gives the whole gang that extra something. And anything's better 'n going back into the scrap. No. Jack's got some good ideas. And has seen a lot."

"The dreams? Who told..." But there's no real reason I shouldn't tell him. "Saw the little girl running from a bunch of scum. And thought I'd take her... No I thought I'd rescue her. Whatever I say, there are things you shouldn't let happen. And why am I telling you this? I'm not soft. Doesn't matter. Anyway. They chased her, shooting when she wouldn't stop. I killed them, and she died in my arms. I saw the light go out in her eyes. That night I dreamed of her life. And I've been dreaming of people ever since. It's not crazy if it's true? Cause everything in those dreams? If I've checked it it's real. Even found this shotgun in them." I put it on the table and pump it, pointing it at my interrogator.

"£$%&^£@#£&%$ You just &*$%ed with my mind. Didn't you. Yourself, or did you drug me? Don't care whichever." I frown as I feel my muscles lock. And smile as they relax as his brains miss me by six inches. "I mentioned Jinte to you you useless pile of offal." It's good to have someone to watch your back. Now I just need to get rid of the body.

What do you do for your daily bread? "Security" work.
What keeps you up at night? Memories of things I've never seen and don't understand. I often drink so I don't have to remember.
And finally, who or what would you take if you had to bug out fast? Jinte. It's a question?

Safire posted:

Woman, Compact, Quick Eyed
Sharp +2, Hard 0, Hot 0, Cool -1, {Weird +2}

* I work for the Duchess
* I am Gio's lover
* I have a distinctive presence in the local population; I command attention when I come into a room.
* I have oddments worth 2-barter.

"You think it's worth disturbing The Duchess. On your head be it. Or you could just tell me."

"No I know I'm not Dystart. He died a couple of months ago to the Plague we had, and passed everything to me. And I mean everything. Including ... let's see... What did happen to your sister? Ah, yes. Third pine on Butchers' Hill. And I tend to take that sort of thing more seriously than he did. Now. Is this worth bothering the Duchess over?"

To tell the truth I'm only half certain why I'm here. Well, I know why I came here. It was safe, and strongly defended. I've lived through one sack and never want to again. And when I arrived I did what I always do. I started thinking. Putting pieces together. Organising. Solved a couple of problems by introducing people, and then Dystart noticed me. Everyone knows who Dystart was. The Duchess' left hand. The one who ran the map room and the scouts. About the one person the Duchess considered capable - only reason she even mostly trusted him was he was lame.

He was, of course, smart enough to plan for his own death. I was one of three choices. And an hour after he died I threw up. Spent the whole next day in bed shivering. Good job I had a few favours to call in. By the day after I knew maybe half what Dystart did - including enough to slit the throat of his murderer (who was, of course, one of his possible replacements. Even he couldn't win them all).

Made my way to the Duchess and gave all the recognition codes she'd set up with him, and even avoided the traps. 'course even she doesn't know I've some of his memories. But they're very big boots to fill. Not sure I can do it, but there's no one else. How did he keep his mind in so many directions? I mean with him the maproom was just for show?

It's too much. But it's the most fun I've ever had! Working out what's important! Knowing everything! Fixing things! Can't lie well - but I don't need to. I just need to work out what's true? And stay on the good side of The Duchess, which is easier said than done.

And no, I could never do The Duchess' job! I'd be dead in a week! Keep those guns away from me please?

What do you do for your daily bread? Planning and operational work
What keeps you up at night? I've seen one Hold sacked. It isn't going to happen here.
And finally, who or what would you take if you had to bug out fast? The Red Ledger - my notes. And as much information on the culprits as I could, free to anyone who'd take them out.

Gams posted:

Cool +2, Sharp -1, Hard 0, Hot 0, {Weird +2}

Woman, aristocratic, slender body, generally concealed under shapeless robes.

* I have a smg (2-harm close area loud) and fashion worth 1-armor.
* I have oddments worth 2-barter.
* I have free passage through The Duchess' holdings, no questions asked

Being no one isn't as easy as you might think. But I'm the last one left. The last of the originals and I don't know what's going to happen when I die. I've felt them all. And they always whisper to me. Whisper things, normally trying to help. And actually distracting me when I need it most. Which is why I live on the fringes - and that might have kept me alive.

Currently I'm with Silver's crew. She's got the touch. Better than I am at finding scraps, even without ghosts to help her out - but they are watching her. Watching and learning from her. She's good - and really good at whipping us all up. It's a joy to watch. And letting m'self be caught up in it is even better than getting high. I wonder if she realises that this is the second of her crews I've been in. I'd have moved on back then if I was her. That got ... messy.

Actually, she just might. I've caught her looking at me a couple of times, oddly. She's never said anything, so I don't know what she's seen about me. And, of course, I can't see myself properly in the Maelstrom although I know I'm not lit up the way she is. At least I hope not.

As for the others? I know who they are of course - and I'm pretty sure they don't know me. I'm not sure I want to meet them ever. If I know them before they die it hurts a bit more. But I feel it each and every time. Sometimes I fear I'm the last anchor we have. Sometimes I fear I'm not. Either way I want to stay alive. Least for a while longer, tho I'm reliably told that the other side isn't that bad. They've even got guns there.

What do you do for your daily bread? Scavenging, hunting, and repairing. It's one thing that everyone else actually manages to help with.
What keeps you up at night? Long conversations between the dead. It's why I get high with the rest of the Scavengers of the Scrap so readily. And seriously, don't ask me to tell ghost stories. Just don't. No one else slept that night.
And finally, who or what would you take if you had to bug out fast? Dunno. Silver I suppose. She's useful and I've things to learn from her. But I travel with a dozen and more people invisibly with me TOO MUCH OF THE TIME. Seriously, give me a little peace sometimes please? I'm not going to drop dead if you aren't there. And as long as I've enough to eat and shelter, things don't mean much. They're just things.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 12, 2014

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jenkins, the Savvyhead

Jenkins Playbook posted:

Look: A scruffy young woman with a limp, dressed down in surprisingly well-kept scrounge wear
plus tech of all kinds hanging from a harness, with an open face and calm eyes staring out of a wiry
body.

Cool=0
Hard-1
Hot-1
Sharp+2
Weird+2

Savvyhead Moves

Bonefeel
: at the beginning of the session, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 1+1. On a 7–9, hold 1. At
any time, either you or the MC can spend your hold to have you already be there, with the proper
tools and knowledge, with or without any clear explanation why. If your hold was 1+1, take +1forward
now. On a miss, the MC holds 1, and can spend it to have you already be there, but somehow pinned,
caught or trapped.

Oftener right: when a character comes to you for advice, tell them what you honestly think
the best course is. If they do it, they take +1 to any rolls they make in the doing, and you mark
an experience circle.

Workspace: The Greenhouse
Right next to the Mill, and put together to get as much of the light from the opening in the Canopy
as possible. It contains the precious plants, as well as the pieces scrounged from the Heap and
machinery to do her work on.
- a controlled growing environment
- skilled labour (Boyle, Chance and Gams)
- machining tools

Gear
Oddments worth 3-barter
Shotgun (3-harm close messy)
Scrounging overalls, apron and welder's mask of 1-armour

Hx
Jack Daniels: 0
Giorgio Riverre: +1
Argo: +1
Temp Agency: -2

Blurry, can I get some suggestions on gear? I've never noticed the "have some normal gear" thing before and have no idea what to put there. Is what I've put okay?

Also, thanks for running the game!

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 13, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I love the idea of twin universes, blurry. Very cool.

I'll put up my character sheet and Hx tonight.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Does it make things easier if Jenkins replaces Carl in Jack Daniels' background, or do we already have an idea on how we all relate? Also, neonchameleon, should I change one of my Workspace picks to be "skilled labour" so the Temp Agency has another link? Or is it only for Choppers, Hardolders and Hocuses?

It's strange to go around breaking things when so much needs fixing. Argo, can you write down Hx +1 for me? And because I'm a bit of a weirdo who listens to radio programs no one else can hear, everyone else is at Hx -1 with me.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Coward posted:

Does it make things easier if Jenkins replaces Carl in Jack Daniels' background, or do we already have an idea on how we all relate? Also, neonchameleon, should I change one of my Workspace picks to be "skilled labour" so the Temp Agency has another link? Or is it only for Choppers, Hardolders and Hocuses?

It's strange to go around breaking things when so much needs fixing. Argo, can you write down Hx +1 for me? And because I'm a bit of a weirdo who listens to radio programs no one else can hear, everyone else is at Hx -1 with me.

Macalusos can have links with literally anyone - it's simply that only Choppers, Hardholders, and Hocusses start by default with lots of their own people. Skilled labour to put a gang member in (probably Gams; Safire and Dutch are nicely entrenched in useful places) would be nice, thanks. (And having a Macaluso near you who gets XP for taking a bullet for you can really help keep you alive).

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Coward posted:

Blurry, can I get some suggestions on gear? I've never noticed the "have some normal gear" thing before and have no idea what to put there. Is what I've put okay?

Also, thanks for running the game!

As a Savvyhead, you get 3-barter worth of oddments. Look on page 237 for a list of examples of things worth 1-barter. Think about something specific that Jenkins would want that'd be worth 1-3 of the things listed. Think about an average person's food, water and shelter costs, that's how much 1 barter is worth. In real life terms, I'd probably put 1-barter to be worth a month's pay at something like 10 bucks an hour or so, what with electricity, phone, rent, food and gas. Think about what you could buy irl for a month's pay to get your creative engines going. Put yourself in your Jenkin's shoes. What has she saved up for or found that'd be like her spending a month's wages on if she were a real person. Use the oddments to flesh out your character as a person, rather than as things you'd need (those are covered by your playbook).

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I know what you're thinking. Pretty boy, way out here, how's he gonna survive?

It's easy. With a gun. And by not giving a gently caress.

I've left more people in a pool of their own blood and brain matter than you've met in your life. You might think that's horrifying, and I wouldn't blame you. First time I downed someone, I cried. I threw up. I wanted to put a bullet in my own head. But I didn't. I persevered.

Now it's like riding a bike. Bang. You're dead. Oh well.

Some people might object to the fact that I like guys, but hey, nobody fucks with the guy with the gun. Lucky me. And I have the rep to back it up, too.

code:
Argo, the Battlebabe

Look:
Man, formal wear, boyish face, frosty eyes, gorgeous body

Stats:
Cool +3
Hard -1
*Hot +2*
Sharp -0
*Weird -1*

Moves:
Ice cold (use cool instead of hard when going aggro on
an NPC; use Hx when going aggro on a PC)
Dangerous & sexy (when entering into a charged situation,
roll hot and use hold to make eye contact with an NPC and
freeze them in place until contact is broken)

Gear:
Custom Firearm (big semiautomatic handgun [3-harm close loud])
Custom Hand Weapon (long bladed staff [3-harm hand area])
oddments worth 2-barter
fashion suitable to your look 
(casual suit with Kevlar underneath, worth 1-armor)
What do you do for your daily bread?

Heh. Bang bang. What else? Sometimes I take hits, but usually I've been tasked with taking out bandits. Either way, people die and I get paid.

What keeps you up at night?

Sometimes I lie awake in bed and think if I've really lost it. Like, killed myself, y'know? Lost my soul. I kill so much that I've stopped caring. Sometimes I think I've become a monster.

Who or what would you take if you had to bug out fast?

Xan. He's always stuck by me and forgave me for my poo poo. If I could feel any more, if I had any concept of it, I'd say I love him.

Either way, I know he loves me.

History:

Everyone takes Hx+1. I put myself in the public view.

I take Hx+3 against Giorgio Riverre. I'm not used to other pretty people. He reminds me of...me.

Jenkins: +1
Temp Agency: -1
Jack Daniels: +1
Giorgio Riverre: +3

Spincut fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 15, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Also, where can I find the Macaluso playbook? I don't see it in the core or LE playbooks.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Spincut posted:

Also, where can I find the Macaluso playbook? I don't see it in the core or LE playbooks.

It's in the Limited Edition, after Hoarder (third playbook).

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

blurry! posted:

It's in the Limited Edition, after Hoarder (third playbook).

Ah okay, thanks. My copy cut off after Hoarder for some reason. Found it, though.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Coward, that works for me regarding Jenkins replacing Carl. It actually works out pretty well. You and I have history, so if it's completely against Jenkins' character let me know and I can change it.

Jack Daniels, The Chopper

When Will Scarlet bought the big one, we didn't know what to do with ourselves. Will had ran this poo poo since the beginning, and gently caress if I knew, or anybody knew, where we were going next. A few guys figured they'd ride off on their own, start their own MG, whatever. There was talk of the gang splintering apart. gently caress that. I watched a lot of those kids grow up into badass bruisers and I was going to be damned if I let them go off and get killed by some rear end in a top hat out in the yard.

Maybe I'm not fit to lead. But I know I've got the right combination of stupidity and brass balls to hold this poo poo together.

The Scrap is a real hellhole. Ain't no sugarcoating it. You'll probably die badly, with a shank in your gut or a bullet in your head, or hell even getting munched on by some crazy, but when you've got brothers, guys that will watch your back, it makes things a lot easier. It's even better when you've got a community to live with. Sure, it's a breeze rolling up on some poor old fucker and shooting him for his greens, but Will had an idea a long time ago that maybe being a murderous bastard all the time was a good way to punch your ticket earlier than you expected. It wasn't gonna be long before you robbed the wrong dude and got a face full of buckshot. That's why, when we found The Dome, we figured it was time to be good guys for once.

The Dome is a garden run by nerds. The lead nerd, some sci-girl named Jenkins, found a way to get plants to grow under the glass. Not just the crap greens you see in some of the nicer places under the Canopy, either, but good poo poo like sweet fruit. Will and Jenk made a deal; we ran security, Jenk kept us fed. Don't get me wrong, we still ran around and stole poo poo, because we could, but having a home to go home to was a nice addition. That's the current deal, anyway. Will's death made things a little difficult, but I managed to convince everyone that we had a good thing going. So we ride around, keeping the nasties off of Jenk's poo poo. Sometimes we raid other camps, picking up parts for the bikes or new weapons or whatever. At the end of the day, though, I got a bed with my name on it under that glass.

To tell you God's honest, I'm still a little worried about the gang. The youngest guys, they're still talking about starting their own thing. I think they're all hung up on me being a washed out old bitch, when in reality without me and some of the older dudes these young pups would be hung up and skinned a long time ago. I gotta keep things interesting enough that they get the blood, booze, and tail they're looking for. Not just to keep the MG together, but to save the hides of these boys and girls that I've come to love. Yeah, I said love. Don't spread it around or I'll bust your loving face.

The one thing I can't do without? Rose. My hard-edged, knife-sharp lovin' woman. Heh, she loving hates it when I call her that. Tequila Rose, the one thing I'll never leave behind. Most guys will tell you that their bike tops the list of stuff they care about, but Rose is number one with a bullet for me. She's been riding with me for years now. Tough in a fight, and accurate with a pistol, she's saved my bacon more times than I can count. Plus she's pretty great in the sack.

quote:

Character Sheet
Description:
Jack Daniels is a weather-beaten old bastard, full beard and long hair just starting to go a little grey (which showed up when he took the mantle of "guy dumb enough to lead"). He rocks out a full set of armored leather combat gear, as does most of the gang. He's usually seen with a bottle of hooch strapped to his body for quick access.

Stats:
Cool+2
Hard+2
Hot-1
Sharp=0
Weird-1

Chopper Moves:
Pack Alpha
When you try to impose your will on your gang,
roll+hard. On a 10+, all 3. On a 7–9, choose 1:
• they do what you want
• they don’t fight back over it
• you don’t have to make an example of one of them
On a miss, someone in your gang makes a dedicated bid to
replace you for alpha.

loving thieves
When you have your gang search their pockets
and saddlebags for something, roll+hard. It has to be something
small enough to fit. On a 10+, one of you happens to have just
the thing, or close enough. On a 7–9, one of you happens to have
something pretty close, unless what you’re looking for is hi-tech,
in which case no dice. On a miss, one of you used to have just the
thing, but it turns out that some asswipe stole it from you.

The Bike
A smooth beauty, old-school Harley Davidson, with chrome for miles and fast enough to beat the Red Devil himself.

Strengths: Fast, Huge
Looks: Vintage, Roaring
Weakness: Guzzler

The Gear:
Combat Biker rig, armor 2
Magnum (3-harm close reload loud)
Machete (3-harm hand messy)

The Gang
The Heartthrobs, a classy bunch of guys and dolls who can back up the poo poo they talk
(2-harm gang small rich 1-armor Vulnerable: desertion)

Barter Services
1-barter for the following:
one raiding expedition, one convoy led through hostile territory,
one threat delivered (loud and clear), one week’s employment of your gang as
thugs and enforcers.

Everybody put down Hx+1. I'm not a very complicated person.

I take -1 to everyone else. You're not a Heartthrob? Then you don't matter, do you? Except Jenk. She's stood up to us before, right when we thinking about leaving. I'd never seen her pissed before, and it takes a lot of balls to stand up to fifteen frustrated bruisers. Called me chickenshit for leaving all the people in the lurch. I had never been insulted like that, and I was split between wanting to shoot her or give her a bike and a jacket. She may not look it but that girl's got some passion, and that gets respect in my book. You gotta put your energy somewhere else the Scrap will eat you up.

Temp Agency: -2
Argo: 0
Jenkins: (+1)
Giorgio: -1

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 12, 2014

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
For my Hx, I need to pick 3 people as Gio's friend, lover, and someone in love with him. I have to head out for a little while though today. If anyone wants to fit any of those roles, post saying so. If not, I'll pick at random when I get back.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zerilan posted:

For my Hx, I need to pick 3 people as Gio's friend, lover, and someone in love with him. I have to head out for a little while though today. If anyone wants to fit any of those roles, post saying so. If not, I'll pick at random when I get back.

... What do the rules say if the Macaluso tries to be more than one of those?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

... What do the rules say if the Macaluso tries to be more than one of those?

I'm guessing you can be only one for determing those assuming the Macaluso has just a single Hx.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Yeah the Macaluso's primary and true nature is that of a multifaceted being. No matter how well a person knows one or two of your facets, until they know your nature as a collective being, the Hx is not increased. If by interacting with multiple facets, they gain insight into the fact that you are a single soul expressed in several bodies, that's when they get Hx increases. The you they're getting to know is the Macaluso, the one-in-many, not its composite parts.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Whose Hx does it modify? Argo might qualify for lover (if Gio swings that way, of course), even though he also doesn't trust him. Just makes the drama that much more juicy!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Jenkins is Gio's friend. She's the most technically inclined which might fit well with Gio wanting to improve at crafting musical instruments. Jenkins marks Hx+2.
A member of the Temp Agency (neon can choose, or I can just pick randomly among them if neon doesn't want to decide) is Gio's lover. Temp marks Hx+3
Argo is in love with Gio, or I guess at least infatuated despite the distrust. Argo marks Hx-1.
Everyone else (just Jack in this case) marks Hx=0

I modify the Hx I'm given from everyone else by +/-1. 0's are boring so I'll go a step towards the extremity in each case.

Btw, to answer "if Gio swings that way, of course," he swings either way.

Giorgio Riverre - The Skinner

It's art that separates man from the animals. That's what my dad always told me during the few short years he was around. I always thought he was full of poo poo back then. He spent his time poorly playing his guitar out on the street, with me next to him with a stitched up hat for people to throw junk in, if they were dumb enough to pay anything for some bad music. Lead to a childhood of being hungry and homeless, and when the old man died he hadn't taught me poo poo about how to make it on my own beyond some failed music lessons.

Somehow, I kept myself from starving to death as I grew up by stealing and begging, but it was barely enough to stay alive. One day a guy I was trying to talk into sharing some bread joked that I was pretty enough that I should consider just selling my "companionship" to people if I was desperate enough. I was, so I did. Despite how it sounds, it wasn't always about sex. Sometimes people do just want some companionship, to spend a little time with someone who will at least pretend to care about you beyond what you have to barter with. It's a rare thing to find these days. Of course, most of the time, it was just about sex.

It wasn't until 8 or 9 years after my old man's death that I heard an instrument being played again. Some woman bought me for a night. Don't remember her name or how she made a living, but she was about as wealthy as anyone can be in the Dunes. During the night she had me, she wanted there to be music. She had hired an old man to play songs on a worn down violin. For weeks after that night, I couldn't get the old man's music out of my head, so I hunted him down. Offered him money to play, but he said it had gotten smashed since then and no longer worked. Determined to hear him play, I set out to try and find a new one, and when I couldn't, I just bought some wood and tools, and tried to create one the best I could using what was left of his as a model. The finished product didn't sound near as good as the original, but it worked. The man played it, and taught me the basics of playing it myself, but I found I had a better knack for building instruments than playing.

After that I kept doing what it took to afford tools and metal and wood, and I've since then gotten better at making all sorts of instruments, but still prefer the violin. I hope to one day make a perfect violin, and find a great musician somewhere in the Dunes to play it.

How do you make your bread? There's not a reliable market out there for musical instruments, so I still mostly rely on selling the, ahem, pleasure of my company.

What keeps you up at night? Memories from the nights I didn't spend alone. A lot of people have done some rather sick and horrifying things to get by in the Dunes, and many of them talk way too freely about it they're alone.

What would you take if you had to bug out fast? I'm used to not having much, but I'd like to keep my set of combs and skin creams and hair gels. My line of work requires me to look presentable.

Character Details posted:

Name: Giorgio Riverre

Look: Man, luxe wear, striking face, cool eyes, steady hands, lush body.

Stats: Cool+1, Hard-1, Hot+2, Sharp+1, Weird=0

An arresting skinner: when you remove a piece of clothing, your own or someone else’s, no one who can see you can do anything but watch. You command their absolute attention. If you choose, you can exempt individual people, by name.

Hypnotic: when you have time and solitude with someone, they become fixated upon you. Roll+hot. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. They can spend your hold, 1 for 1, by:
• giving you something you want
• acting as your eyes and ears
• fighting to protect you
• doing something you tell them to
For NPCs, while you have hold over them they can’t act against you. For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold,
1 for 1:
• they distract themselves with the thought of you. they’re acting under fire.
• they inspire themselves with the thought of you. they take +1 right now.
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms.

Gear:
• oddments worth 1-barter
• fashion suitable to your look (you detail) - A nice dress shirt and undershirt, and some well fitting slacks.
• hidden knives (2-harm hand infinite)
• skin & hair kit (applied valuable) - Soaps, ochres, paints, creams, salves. Using it lets you take +1hot forward.

Giorgio's Hx:
Jack: +2
Argo: +2
Temp: -2
Jenk: -2

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 12, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zerilan posted:

A member of the Temp Agency (neon can choose, or I can just pick randomly among them if neon doesn't want to decide) is Gio's lover. Temp marks Hx+3

Temp adds 1 to that, marks +4, and resets it to +1 gaining 1XP in character creation. And I'll pick the most visible, most enthusiastic, and the one who's currently not attached to any PCs. Safire the Planner :)

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 12, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gio: Argo (+3) since The Agency rolled over to +4
Argo: Gio (+2) or The Temp Agency (+2)
Jenkins: Jack (+1) or Argo (+1)
Jack: Gio (+2) or The Temp Agency (+2)
The Temp Agency: Argo (-1) or Jenkins (-1) - the other two have -2 (!)

Jenkins, which of the three members of The Temp Agency do you find most interesting? Gams is probably going to be working with you the most. Highlight a person plese

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Sorry, is that saying I should mark -1 towards the Temp Agency?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Spincut posted:

Sorry, is that saying I should mark -1 towards the Temp Agency?

Temp Agency gives -1 to everyone; no one knows all of it.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

Temp Agency gives -1 to everyone; no one knows all of it.

Okie doke, got it.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

It's all coming together! :dance:

So, I was just wondering about the setting here. Are we part of the NPC Duchess' holding? Is the Oasis within that?

neonchameleon posted:

Macalusos can have links with literally anyone - it's simply that only Choppers, Hardholders, and Hocusses start by default with lots of their own people. Skilled labour to put a gang member in (probably Gams; Safire and Dutch are nicely entrenched in useful places) would be nice, thanks. (And having a Macaluso near you who gets XP for taking a bullet for you can really help keep you alive).
Okay, I'll edit out the weird-rear end electronica in my Workspace to put in Skilled Labour. Is that cool, blurry!? (that exclamation mark in your name makes it sound like I'm incredulous)

-Boyle is a kid a couple of years younger than Jenkins and likes helping out in the Greenhouse and the Dome under her close supervision. He'll till some of the crops, but he's mostly been assigned to working out the still.

-Chance is almost feral and from somewhere out in the dunes, but has shown really great aptitude with machining and keeping an eye on the generator. Jenkins is hoping she'll be able to pick up some of the more complicated tasks in future.

-Gams (the Temp Agency) is who Jenkins relies on to hunt up parts and materials she's missing. And Jenkins knows what it's like to hear voices everyone says they can't hear. Gams reminds Jenkins of herself in a lot of ways, and she often takes excuses to join Gams on trips out scavenging. (that's right, isn't it, making Gams now one of Jenkins' skilled labour?)

blurry! posted:

As a Savvyhead, you get 3-barter worth of oddments. Look on page 237 for a list of examples of things worth 1-barter. Think about something specific that Jenkins would want that'd be worth 1-3 of the things listed. Think about an average person's food, water and shelter costs, that's how much 1 barter is worth. In real life terms, I'd probably put 1-barter to be worth a month's pay at something like 10 bucks an hour or so, what with electricity, phone, rent, food and gas. Think about what you could buy irl for a month's pay to get your creative engines going. Put yourself in your Jenkin's shoes. What has she saved up for or found that'd be like her spending a month's wages on if she were a real person. Use the oddments to flesh out your character as a person, rather than as things you'd need (those are covered by your playbook).
Ah, okay, I should list the oddments. I'm not sure how apocalyptic our post-apocalypse is, so would this fit? Sorry if I'm still not quite getting it. :)

-A collection of radios of all different kinds, from different ages, arranged and organised in no immediately obvious manner. Some of them would work. Amongst the collection is a powerful ham radio set with two decent microphones and a headset (all it's missing is a powerful enough antenna...).

-Important reference materials scavenged from as far and as wide as possible, from a 1983 Ford Owner's Manual to The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

-A working hand-cranked gramophone with a small collection of two non-smashed LPs.

Where it says, "...and any personal piece or three of normal gear or weaponry" I just leave the shotgun and the armour and leave that done?

edit: Huh. I've just read the intro page for Character's Crap, and I think my oddments are way too huge. Probably need to think more about the scarcity=value concept here. Made slight changes to the above, but happy to reconceive this all.

areyoucontagious posted:

Coward, that works for me regarding Jenkins replacing Carl. It actually works out pretty well. You and I have history, so if it's completely against Jenkins' character let me know and I can change it.

I take -1 to everyone else. You're not a Heartthrob? Then you don't matter, do you? Except Jenk. She's stood up to us before, right when we thinking about leaving. I'd never seen her pissed before, and it takes a lot of balls to stand up to fifteen frustrated bruisers. Called me chickenshit for leaving all the people in the lurch. I had never been insulted like that, and I was split between wanting to shoot her or give her a bike and a jacket. She may not look it but that girl's got some passion, and that gets respect in my book. You gotta put your energy somewhere else the Scrap will eat you up.
That definitely works for me. She knows she wasn't going to be able to keep scavengers off her stuff while she's trying to build things, so working with a Chopper gang makes perfect sense. And I can easily see Jenkins standing up to Jack just because she's occasionally so single-minded about the gardens or the Mill that she doesn't realise how close to getting a face full of buckshot or knife she is. There's also a great hook with the possibility of when Jenkins goes too far. And I like the idea of a scrawny Hard-1 character just snapping at a gang of burly bikers and yelling at them.

For her part, Jenkins respects Jack. She knows it wasn't easy filling Will's shoes and she's grateful someone took over who was smart enough to continue the deal. Plus she's a little impressed that Jack's managed to keep a firm hand on the Heartthrobs, and she doesn't have a problem letting him know that whenever he drops by the Greenhouse.

Zerilan posted:

Jenkins is Gio's friend. She's the most technically inclined which might fit well with Gio wanting to improve at crafting musical instruments. Jenkins marks Hx+2.
I was thinking that way, too. You're someone who fixes, who builds, who wants to see something grow, and that makes them firm friends in Jenkins' book. I can also see Jenkins asking Gio for music advice for the plants, because the very important Old Times reference book "Reader's Digest Annual 1972" indicates music is very important for plant growth.

neonchameleon posted:

Jenkins, which of the three members of The Temp Agency do you find most interesting? Gams is probably going to be working with you the most. Highlight a person plese
Gams is smart, reliable, weird, and she hears things that might be beyond the Fog, beyond the Canopy. That's fascinating. Tell me more. Highlight Gams

(Actually, I'm a bit confused by this. Don't I have the lowest Hx on your sheet, neonchameleon?)

Giorgio, which of my stats do you find most interesting?

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 13, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Giorgio, I have the highest history with you, so what stat do you want me to highlight?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Coward posted:

(Actually, I'm a bit confused by this. Don't I have the lowest Hx on your sheet, neonchameleon?)

Not unless I've screwed up my counts.
Jenkins -1
Argo -1
Gio -2
Jack -2

That's all negative numbers.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Jenkins, which of Jack's stats do you find most interesting? Highlight one, please!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Jenkins, which of Jack's stats do you find most interesting? Highlight one, please!
How do you do it, Jack? How do you stay that collected when everyone is yelling at you, and you can't tune into just the one frequency? Highlight Cool

(Oh, and confessing here that while I own AW (a print copy, no less), this is the first time I've managed to play a game of it)

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Coward posted:

How do you do it, Jack? How do you stay that collected when everyone is yelling at you, and you can't tune into just the one frequency? Highlight Cool

(Oh, and confessing here that while I own AW (a print copy, no less), this is the first time I've managed to play a game of it)

Oh good, me too. :v:

(Though I've played DW and Monsterhearts before)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Spincut posted:

Giorgio, I have the highest history with you, so what stat do you want me to highlight?

Hot, because Gio's naturally going to have some interest in the other pretty boy that's around.

(This is my first AW game too. Have only played DW.)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Coward posted:

Giorgio, which of my stats do you find most interesting?

Um, weird.

Also Argo what stat of mine do you wish to highlight?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 14, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Um, weird.

Also Argo what stat of mine do you wish to highlight?

Well, you're hot like me, so why not? :v:

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Sorry for not getting back to you all earlier. Most of what everyone's deciding is completely A-Ok with me. It actually works out better for me to sit back a little bit and let you guys naturally evolve your relationships. Let's see if I have everything the working relationships people worked out:

code:
Jack Daniels>>>>>runs protection for>>>>>>The Dome<<<<<Is in charge of<<<<<<Jenkins___
     |                                                                         |      |
  employs                              Temp Agency                           employs  |
     |                                      |              Duchess(npc)        |      |
     |                                  embodies              |                |      |
     | _____________________________________|_________________|_______________ |      |
     |/                                     |                 |               \|      |
     v                                      |   ____employs___/                v      |
   Dutch                                 Safire/                              Gams    |
                                             \                                        /
                                              \____lovers______Giorgio______friends__/
                                                                 ^                     
                                                                 |                    
                                           Argo___infatuation____/                     

Argo, you may be hot stuff out in the wastes when it's just you and Xan, but I hope the Weirdness hasn't got the best of you and keeps you from finding work! Highlight Weird

Gams, you seem a bit scrambled. Who's this "Silver" person? Ain't never heard of 'em. Silver is not an NPC/PC in either game By the way, have you seen that Dutch guy roll on through? Seems one to keep your eye on. Highlight Dutch.

Jack Daniels, keeping your gang in line is gonna be some work. You've got your work cut out for ya. You're gonna have to make some Hard decision. Highlight Hard

Giorgio, you're a looker, and can probably land someone in bed all too easily, but the wasteland definitely calls for someone to be hard. Let's see what you can do when you're called to make some difficult decisions or stand up to some rough sitch. Highlight Hard

Jenkins, underneath the water and sun, you may weird people out, and you're a sharp cookie, but what are you passionate about? Highlight Hot

Here's how Hx and highlighting stats works for anyone confused:

1. You go around and and pick your Hx, and tell everyone what's what.
2. They will, in turn, ignore the number you gave (if specified on their playbook), mark their own, or mark what you told them. They will then tell you what's what. You do just as they did.
3. Hx is Asymmetrical. Say it with me. This means, you only pay attention to what's on your own sheet once everyone's done telling each other the scoop, and everyone's done marking all their pluses and minuses accordingly. So when you choose the person with the highest Hx for the purpose of highlighting a stat, you only worry about the number on your sheet, not what's on theirs. They can have -3 Hx with you, but if they're the highest on your sheet, you ask them which stat they find most interesting about you.
4. Keep in mind that History is not a measure of anything but how much they know your true nature. Love, hate, or even apathy are all unimportant here. It's how well they can guess what you think or do if pressed to speculate. An enemy and a friend, or even someone who doesn't give a right poo poo about you on a personal level, can have a high Hx if they know what you are about. Likewise, someone who's infatuated with you, or thinks you're stinky or a dumb butt, can have a low Hx if they don't know what you're really like.

I hope that clears up the nature of Hx, in case of any confusion.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

blurry! posted:

Gams, you seem a bit scrambled. Who's this "Silver" person? Ain't never heard of 'em. Silver is not an NPC/PC in either game By the way, have you seen that Dutch guy roll on through? Seems one to keep your eye on. Highlight Dutch.

Who was Silver? Past tense, but very tense. She was some sort of mindfucker - a Brainer or Hocus or something like that. She decided she wanted to recruit me for her creepy cult. Don't know why. But trying to draw me into your creepy mind control network just doesn't work that well. And keeping mind-controlled zombies is a bad idea if all your control links break in one go. Last I saw they were physically tearing her to pieces. Seen a lot of things. Been through a lot of things. But didn't want to see more 'n that. And can't say I blame them although I didn't want to watch. I need to get rid of the rest of her mental barbs.

(Don't think I get a second highlighted character)

quote:

Here's how Hx and highlighting stats works for anyone confused:

1. You go around and and pick your Hx, and tell everyone what's what.
2. They will, in turn, ignore the number you gave (if specified on their playbook), mark their own, or mark what you told them. They will then tell you what's what. You do just as they did.
3. Hx is Asymmetrical. Say it with me. This means, you only pay attention to what's on your own sheet once everyone's done telling each other the scoop, and everyone's done marking all their pluses and minuses accordingly. So when you choose the person with the highest Hx for the purpose of highlighting a stat, you only worry about the number on your sheet, not what's on theirs. They can have -3 Hx with you, but if they're the highest on your sheet, you ask them which stat they find most interesting about you.
4. Keep in mind that History is not a measure of anything but how much they know your true nature. Love, hate, or even apathy are all unimportant here. It's how well they can guess what you think or do if pressed to speculate. An enemy and a friend, or even someone who doesn't give a right poo poo about you on a personal level, can have a high Hx if they know what you are about. Likewise, someone who's infatuated with you, or thinks you're stinky or a dumb butt, can have a low Hx if they don't know what you're really like.

I hope that clears up the nature of Hx, in case of any confusion.

My fault, sorry. I thought that it was the person who knew you best rather than the person you knew best that did the highlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643799

Game's up yo.

• Locked thread